Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Is retracted nipple ALWAYS cancer?

Options
GeorgiaPeach24
GeorgiaPeach24 Member Posts: 3
edited March 2018 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

I see a breast surgeon Tuesday but the waiting is killing me. Slight ache and left nipple starting to retract. Not totally inverted just top half is flat. Responds to stimulation.

Just wondering if anyone on here has had something similar turn out to not be cancer? Google makes it appear as though any nipple change is definitely always cancer. Cue the paranoia.

Comments

• Egads007
    Egads007 Member Posts: 474
    edited March 2018
    Options

GeorgiaPeach24...tell that paranoia to exit stage left! Tell that to Google too! No, not all nipple problems are cancer. Some are unfortunately but NOT all. Googling this is most likely to turn up the negative first. If you can't help yourself (I'm one of those) why not try searching 'benign causes of nipple retraction/nipple changes' for perhaps more positive info. You're understandably running on high anxiety gear, and that's ok, very normal. Try as hard as you can to give yourself at least an hour per day of letting the anxiety go...do whatever you want and during that time. Tell yourself you simply won't go there right now if it creeps in, and thatit's your time so it can go to Hell! If all else fails post to the boards as often as your heart desires...waiting is THE WORST, but we're here to help you hold it together! Hugs

• nancyhb
    nancyhb Member Posts: 235
    edited March 2018
    Options

If it helps, nipple changes are NOT always related to cancer. Over the years, between breastfeeding, weight-gain and -loss, and simple aging, mine have changed considerably. Before my surgery they weren't even remotely similar to one another. Different colors, sizes, textures, shapes. The top half of my remaining nipple is “dented", but only because gravity is pulling down the rest of thebreast tissue. Typically my nipple appears “inverted" simply because it's falling in on itself.

When it comes to inversion the concern is cancer that is pulling the nipple inwards. A truly retracted nipple doesn't change and become perky with cold or other stimulation - it can't because tissue inside the breast is holding it inwards. So if your nipple can become erect, it's unlikely that the inversion is related to cancer and may be related to tissue changes in your breast.

• GeorgiaPeach24
    edited March 2018
    Options

thank you so much I needed to hear that ... sounds similar to mine.

I’m four week post partim, lost 30 pounds in that time, and hasn’t a breast reduction years ago so hopefully it’s just a combo of all of that.

My nipple doesn’t appear to be being “pulled” more so that it’s been deflated on the top half.

• GeorgiaPeach24
    edited March 2018
    Options

thank you so much for responding I needed to hear that! I am so bad about worry I know I need to give it to God but easier said than done!!

• Giselle20
    Giselle20 Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2018
    Options

I most definitely can be due to one of those two. Weight loss can cause retraction of the ligaments in the breast. And the surgery could have cause a formation of scary tissue that also would have the same effect. If I'm not mistaken for a reduction they leave an anchor type scar that goes up to the nipple?

I have come across many women who had nipple retractions etc. And had some benign tumor or cyst. So good luck hope you have something benign