Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Is an elective double mastectomy covered by OHIP in Ontario

Options
pmac
pmac Member Posts: 2
edited April 2018 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

I live in Toronto, Ontario.  I have a VERY strong history of breast cancer on mother's side.  Every single woman has had breast cancer.  As I understand it, when I went for genetic testing, they said it would be pointless for me to have the blood test to see if I am BRCA1 or BRCA2 positive since none of the females that have had breast cancer have been tested for it.  All of these family members, who are still alive, all live in Portugal so trying to get this information from them is next to impossible.  I have had strong opionions from 2 family doctors, from my surgeon that I saw to have the surgery. Does anybody know if this would be covered by OHIP?  I think my mind was so made up that I was going to have the surgery that it just didn't dawn on me to ask.  Do any of you ladies know the answer to this??

Comments

• Egads007
    Egads007 Member Posts: 474
    edited April 2018
    Options

Hi Pmac, high risk women are covered by OHIP for The surgery. See the link below for complete info:

http://support.cbcf.org/get-information/hereditary-breast-ovarian-cancer-hboc/managing-your-breast-cancer-risk/risk-reducing-surgery-mastectomy/

Hope this helps

• pmac
    pmac Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2018
    Options

Thank you so much for your reply Egads007.  When I was googling it, I was just getting such mixed information.  My sister lives in Quebec so the other night I was talking to her on the phone and she asked "how much is this going to cost you" and honestly up until that point I had not even thought about that factor, as ridiculous as that sounds.  I wonder if this link is considering "high risk" as being BRCA 1 or BRCA2 positive.  Anyway, I guess I'll find out when I meet with my surgeon.  I see you have gone through some trying times by the information in your reply.  I hope you are in recovery.  Sending healing vibes and hugs your way.  You are in Toronto also?

• Egads007
    Egads007 Member Posts: 474
    edited April 2018
    Options

Hi Pmac....I replied to your PM...check it out. Hugs

• farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596
    edited April 2018
    Options

pmac - Color Genomics offers a full panel self-pay genetic test for $249. In addition they also offer a discount for families with a known mutation. I’m not sure they ship out of the US but they might. I would imagine that a surviving family member willbe recommended to test first. Here is a link to their site.

https://www.color.com

• Ada85
    Ada85 Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2018
    Options

Yes it is covered. Also are medications to treat BC. And IVF however depending on your situation all costs can be covered if you qualify otherwise you have only pay for medication but procedure is covered by Ohip.

I am alsoin the GTA.