Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting June 2018

Options

Comments

• Crystal_sola
    Crystal_sola Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2018
    Options

I'm getting my second AC infusion this week, I would like to go alone and read a book or play silly games. My first infusion was uneventful. My dear husband doesn't want me to go alone, he's afraid something crazy will happen (I've got an impressive track record of crazy). I also had to get a slow push of the "red devil" funny story--the nurses all seemed to be avoiding calling it that, they would say red "stuff". while i was getting the slow push, there was an elderly couple napping a few chairs down. The gentleman woke up and saw the nurse suited up next to me, and he yells "hey, hey, is that the red devil?" the nurse looked mortified, i thought it was hilarious.

I took Claritin 3 days before and 4 days after Neulasta shot, didn't have any pain, thankfully. I took Decadron for 3 days after infusion for nausea, even though I didn't have it and haven't had nausea so far. I'm walking and drinking tons of water every day. At around day 8 I started getting a burning in my throat when I would eat. Doctor recommended prilosec and now thats gone. I'm not cold capping, frankly, I can't afford it. Doctor says hair will start to fall after treatment 2, so we are making the best of it. I let my 11 year old daughter cut off my ponytail (she enjoyed that way too much) We are constantly making bald jokes. As soon as it starts to fall, we will buzz the sides and make a mohawk and paint it pink. Hopefully if she thinks it doesnt bother me, it wont bother her. Hopefully I am as tough as I act, because until it falls, I won't know how i will really feel. I do have scarves and hats ready, but it is going to be a long, hot summer.

Right now I'm a little nervous about accessing the port. My surgeon left the needle in after surgery for my first infusion, bless his heart. I never had any pain from the port, although now the incision itches like crazy. I have the numbing cream so hope that it works cause that needle looked scary!

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766
    edited June 2018
    Options

My hair is gone! / I have no hair... / It wasn't much / But it was there

Will post the second verse when it comes to me

• rachelcarter35
    rachelcarter35 Member Posts: 256
    edited June 2018
    Options

I think a cancer diagnosis and treatment gives us a right to only talk and be around people who are safe and kind. I think we have a right not to pick up the phone or talk to anyone who doesn't fit the bill. Generosity and accommodating difficult people are wonderful ways to be the rest of the time but not right now. I've cleaned house and only keep the cream of the crop around. Some people you will know to stay away from, some people will disappoint you but cancer also seems to bring it s surprising gifts as people rise to occasion and are more than you could ever expect.

• DTR808
    DTR808 Member Posts: 21
    edited June 2018
    Options

InnaB - hugs to you! This must be hard, but you sound like you’re handling it amazingly and from your posts, seem like a very strong lady! Hang in tgere

• bgirl
    bgirl Member Posts: 435
    edited June 2018
    Options

InnaB - Sounds like an interesting poem or song. Hugs to you. I hope I handle it well in a couple of weeks.

I think that this is the one time in our lives we should be allowed to be self-centred if not selfish.

I almost drove myself crazy trying to make other people feel better about my cancer last time. Not doing it again. Sort of gentle with immediate family, otherwise ... sorry MY cancer is not about YOU! This is not something I'm doing to you ... this is happening to me! Newsflash ... didn't ask for it the first time and sure as heck not for a repeat.

• InnaB2018
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I have good days and bad days. 😜Sometimes my sense of humor returns, other times it’s hiding under a rock.

DTR, bgirl, we are in it together. We were dealt a certain deck of cards, so we are forced to play it the best we can. If other people can’t deal with us nicely during this difficult time, we just have to stop seeing them altogether. For a time being at least. We need to concentrate on our healing process, not on how to make someone comfortable with our plight. That’s why I love this web site. Everybody here knows exactly what I am going through, so I don’t have to filter what I say. Stay strong, guys, we shell overcome!
  • HockeyChick_CA49
    HockeyChick_CA49 Member Posts: 23
    edited June 2018
    Options

bgirl - I sent you a direct message. Glad to know another Ontarian on this forum. :)

I agree it's important to surround ourselves with positive people. I am very fortunate to have a really good friend that has been there for me over the past few weeks, going to doctor's appointments (was there with me when I got my Dx), going to my first treatment. She is a cancer survivor. She understands what I'm going through.

I am thankful for this forum. It helps to hear what other women have gone through. I feel like I can get through this too.

• Kat22
    Kat22 Member Posts: 93
    edited June 2018
    Options

Ladies (and gent) ! I have to tell you about my day!

A little back info: Friday was AWFUL. Luckily I had an appointment already scheduled with MO, because it turned out I was badly dehydrated and running a fever (mid-99s). She put me on antibiotics and sent me upstairs for a bag of fluids. I missed 3 days of work Sat-Sun-Mon, stayed in bed, took meds, and drank more water and Gatorade then should be humanly possible. Anyway....I went back to work today and .....

For the first time in at least 2 months, I felt NORMAL! No fatigue, no SE, no fever, just NORMAL. I feel so re-energized and ready to tackle round 2 next week. I hope every one of you experiences a day or two like my day was today. WE GOT THIS!!

• Kat22
    edited June 2018
    Options

tvheaven: How did your first session go today?

• bubblybubbles_1
    bubblybubbles_1 Member Posts: 10
    edited June 2018
    Options

You guys all have so much knowledge of tge medical terms. I had my first chemo on june 15th. Side effects were terrible. After 3 days, due to severe dehydration, i was admitted to hospital. They put 2 iv bottles to regain my water level. I lost 4 pounds in 3 days.

• Kat22
    edited June 2018
    Options

Bubbles: So sorry to hear how tough it's been :( We're all here together and we'll all help each other. I've learned more medical-ese in the last month than I ever wanted to know, and I still don't know much. Hang in there!

• timetobebrave70
    timetobebrave70 Member Posts: 65
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Kat22- I admire you. You are still working while doing chemo? I have been out of work since my surgery on 4/24 and will be out until i am done with radiation! I can’t imagine working through it all. I mean chemo has been doable but I can’t imaging working. I hope our 2nd infusion goes well for us again!!!! I have been feeling good today too. My hair started shedding. So i am wearing my beanie to hold the hair together. I think I will shave my head after my next infusion. How about you?

Bubbly- it’s very important to stay hydrated. Please drink lots of water. If you can’t tolerate water then Gatorade or pedialyte. Hang in there. It will get better. My days started out good then bad then good again! Everyone is different. Keep a daily log of your symptoms and what you eat and drink so you could kind of see how you do and be prepare fir the next infusion.

Hockeychick- I had a coworker that was diagnosed 6 months before myself. We weren’t close then but we are now! She’s helped me so much when she was going through her own. She was always a step ahead of me and so got me prepared for everything. We are now breasties :)
  • GrooGruxQueen
    GrooGruxQueen Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2018
    Options

I had chemo for the first time about two weeks ago but found out that I had breast cancer about three months ago. I couldn't start chemo until I'd stop taking one of the meds I was on and I had to wean off of it slowly.

I do have family here who's helping me with it but they are more or less driving me crazy. But I do have a great friend who's here for me too, I just wish she'd be able to come to chemo with me instead of family at times but I don't think she will because she has a full time job and two children. I think she'd probably get kicked out, and maybe even me too, though.

I we've talked three times a week when I found out I had cancer because she wants to see how I'm doing. Both of us are the type of people who can make you laugh instead of cry about things. If you heard the way were joking today about me loosing my hair your jaw would probably drop! I know we are going to be the same way through this whole ordeal too.

• Kat22
    edited June 2018
    Options

timetobebrave: yep, still working. My boss and company are very understanding and have assured me that they'll be very flexible based on my needs. Which I can't even tell you how reassuring that is. That said, I haven't had surgery yet so I think maybe I went into chemo stronger than many. We shall see how it goes. After chemo lies surgery and rads and I'm not even thinking about all that (much) yet but I will be taking a leave of absence for that.

Hair has started to come out, well see how that goes but I'm guessing I'll be bald in a week, by my hand if not Gods lol.

• Kat22
    edited June 2018
    Options

Ha ha ha HAIR! Ok, I want to keep my hair just as badly as the next gal, but I can't help but laugh this morning. Taking a shower was an exercise in futility as I had to clear hair from the drain at least 3 times. My hair is a bit below shoulder length and cut in a lot of shaggy layers. I straight iron it a bit every day, then just a toss of the head and it falls into a nice tousled look. Until today. Blow drying then trying to get it at least semi-in place. My bathroom became a cloud of hair. I cleaned off the sink, toilet, floor, everything repeatedly until I declared it "good enough". I never expected this process to be humorous, but I guess that's better than being sad. Not ready to buzz it off just yet.........Have a great day, everyone.

• Razzledazzle
    Razzledazzle Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2018
    Options

I am suppose to start AC Monday with Stage 4 metastatic liver, her2+, ER+ diagnosed in May/June.  I am gathering my questions for my oncologist appointment today.  I am reading and gathering your thoughts as if they are my own  

If you were diagnosed in your 60s with many joint and memory issues to do the AC then T = 20 weeks then mastectomy then radiation 6= weeks...what questions had the most value to you in making your decision for chemo.  What will I lose vs what will I gain?  So many discussions about the number of weeks of treatment that go beyond the plan then only to see it return. I am asking myself what is the point.

I would love to hear from others with similar diagnosis/treatment/age etc.

• hollywood1968
    hollywood1968 Member Posts: 35
    edited June 2018
    Options

hey!

I am 6 days out of 1st dose dense AC. Stomach a little crampy but main problem is dizziness and tire easily. Blood pressure is a little low pulse is fast at 115 when walking around. Would these be typical side effects

• rachelcarter35
    edited June 2018
    Options

I think the Zofran is the culprit but I've been constipated since chemo (a few rabbit turds each day) and yesterday it came to a head. I was using Sennocot S. Yesterday morning I took 4! big mistake. My stomach started to cramp and I called the onco nurse. She told me to stop sennocot S because it causes cramping and to take miralax and milk of magnesia. I eventually started to go but it was excruciating. I got chilled and my temperature rose to 99.7 before it started to go back down. I was all settled down in the evening - just exhausted. Then I woke up a few times all night with explosive diarrhea. I'm definitely drained this morning. I was able to eat breakfast and am drinking a lot of water. Lesson learned next chemo round I plan to take mirilax the morning of infusion and stay ahead of the constipation. Our bodies all react to this stuff so differently and we all have to come up with our own strategies. I had a moment where I thought about quitting this whole chemo thing. Man and I'm only 5 days in, haven't lost my hair yet, and my immune system isn't even at its lowest yet. I better buck up....Loving prayers to all of you powerful warrior women (and men) fighting this fight. We're doing it because be want to live. That's noble I think.

• InnaB2018
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hollywood, have you been told to take Olanzapine at night for 4 days after the infusion? If yes, check with your doctor, it may cause dizziness. It did for me. I was told not to take it after my second infusion and report back the difference. And I am pleased to say that there was no dizziness this time!

Rachelcarter, both chemo and Zofran can cause constipation. My doctor told me to use Colace, and it’s been working well for me. I start the day of chemo and stop on day 6.

• hollywood1968
    hollywood1968 Member Posts: 35
    edited June 2018
    Options

no olanzapine here

• timetobebrave70
    timetobebrave70 Member Posts: 65
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Omg kat22! My hair was coming out in clumps while I was in the shower. I was going to wait until next infusion but I am shaving later today!

Rachelcarter, I took 2 senakot s night time and then two in the morning and then I went by the afternoon. It started out as hard stool then got very loose (not diarrhea) and have been good since. Did you take 4nat the same time?
  • HockeyChick_CA49
    HockeyChick_CA49 Member Posts: 23
    edited June 2018
    Options

I'm thinking of just letting my hair fall out on it's own. Not sure how that will go. Will I look like the "old" Melisandre from Game of Thrones? I don't know if I can shave my head myself. For one, I don't have a shaver. I do have a dog trimmer but that would be weird. And I don't think I can muster up the courage to go to a salon and have them do it. I would be too emotional. I'm wondering if anyone has just let their hair fall out naturally?

I've ordered chemo beanies and a wig. So we'll see how this goes.

Getting nervous about my first dose of DDAC. Reading the list of side effects is scary.

Found out today that I need to go to a clinic 2 days after my first chemo infusion to get my shot of Neulasta. I sure hope I'm feeling up to it. They are going to train me to give myself the shots. I'm not afraid of needles but I'm not sure how I feel about giving myself an injection. But it will save me a trip to the clinic.

• rachelcarter35
    edited June 2018
    Options

timetobebraless. I'd been taking 2 sennocot each day and wasn't getting any results so took 4 only once....never again. Feeling better today.

• Kat22
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hockeychick: My plan was to let it fall out on it's own, I'm now in about day 3 of that happening and it's getting sooooo annoying. I'm off work the next 3 days, so I'm going to see what happens over those days. I may have to buzz it if for no other reason than that the folks at work shouldn't have to clean up after me when I leave hair everywhere. I did my best today, but still it was all over the place. I suspect I'll be in a wig Sunday when I go back. But that's assuming I can find someone to trim some bangs into the wig tomorrow, that kinda needs to happen. Surgery Friday to get my port. Yeah!

• hikinglady
    hikinglady Member Posts: 625
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hello All, and thanks for all good tips and descriptions of what you're going through during chemo. I have my first TC infusion on Monday, June 25. Today (Thursday), I will see my PS for him to approve my starting chemo on Monday. My right side had radiation in 2003. It's healing VERY slowly, but no infection. We'll see what PS says when he sees that incision. It still "weeps," and is not completely healed up, whereas the left side was well healed by 2-3 weeks after surgery. My right side also has a ton of edema, so it feels like a brick. Not fun.

I do use 5 mg Cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril) every 4 hours or so during the day, and 10mg at night (plus an oxycodone sometimes) which helps with the tightness, and relaxes those pecs which are spasming on top of the TE's, so that I can sleep. I have to sleep in an on-my-back position--side sleeping isn't comfortable, with the TE's stabbing my ribs, etc. I'm wondering whether chemo nausea will take over and make pain control a moot point...we shall see!

My friend who went through all this two years ago suggests that I keep a "chemo diary," and note which SE's come along and when, including food and sleep and all symptoms. I plan to see a naturopath in a couple of weeks, to ask for nutritional guidance, so my day-by-day list of G-I, skin, gut issues, etc will give him some info about how my body is managing the poisons. That same friend suggests eating 100mg protein per day during chemo. She's a family practice physician, besides being a bc patient. She reminds me that, like after surgery, the body needs a lot of protein to rebuild cells, and she says that science backs up this recommendation. That's a LOT of protein to cram into the day, but I'm planning to try to do that. Anti-oxidants, too, of course. And, she shared with me that she found it safer to NOT eat raw salad and uncooked vegetables during chemo, because of worries about contamination, and also because cooked food is easier to digest. That does make sense to me, too.

• Crystal_sola
    Crystal_sola Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2018
    Options

at my second AC infusion now. Numbing cream really worked, didnt feel the stick at all! Hair started falling yesterday.

Hope everyone is doing well!

• bobby77056
    bobby77056 Member Posts: 16
    edited June 2018
    Options

Howdy! I am new; I was diagnosed on June 4th, at first the doctors thought I had IBC; and I am happy to report that the diagnosis has now changed to IDC. I start chemo on June 28th. Today I had my PET scan, and getting last exams ready.

I am ready to fight this cancer, I have ups and downs, mostly ups, but I am ready!

Nervous to start chemo, I don't know what to expect. Some say that I will be pretty sick a couple of days after, others say a week. I have no clue! I am going to continue to work FT, so I am scheduling my treatments on Thursdays, so I can stay home for the weekend and rest.

What should I expect? Please share your stories..

Hugs to everyone!

• Washington48
    Washington48 Member Posts: 35
    edited June 2018
    Options

First DDAC was Monday with fatigue being only real side effect. Nurses suggested walking at least 2 miles per day and drinking minimum of 2 liters water... think it helps. Plus Claritin each morning starting one dat before Neulesta shots-no bone pain yet. I feel lucky so far as the bilateral mastectomy in May certainly shows that I will be needing a plastic surgeon...not even close to “flat." At least the Chemo has been tolerable. Am ready with chemo beanies and wigs... had wigs as have used them while traveling for years...easy hair for all occasions...never expected THIS occasion! Appreciate all your posts—you inspire me

• domzie30218
    domzie30218 Member Posts: 47
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hi bobby77056, you will conquer that first infusion and the rest! I had my first infusion on June 8th and Day 3 and 4 were the worst for me--but even then it was doable. It was mostly fatigue and feeling hazy. On Day 5 I was back to work, and started feeling better and better each day. I also did Claritin to help with the bone pain and I drink 3 liters of water a day. During infusion I drank at least 20 ounces for every hour of infusion. I do believe water intake helps a ton with flushing out that poison out of your body. My taste buds were off for a few days and experienced a bit of dry mouth--the salt/baking soda rinse helps a lot with that. Also, I don't know if this is real or imagined side effect but I have intense cravings for sweets! I'm also cold capping so I'm on Day 14 today, the shedding should start soon so I'll update. Good luck!

• Wildburg
    Wildburg Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2018
    Options

I'm in same indecision boat...but due to time constraints, I think I'm going to do the cytoxan taxotere and pray that I'm not in the percentage that has no hair regrowth. Have seen way more prior on taxol with neuropathy....and AC taxol would run 20 weeks as opposed to 12. Had to have expander removed and can't get it back in till after chemo and then get pumped up....Want everything done this year due to insurance deductibles. I'm triple negative or don't think I'd even do chemo...had double mastectomy, 3.4 cm tumor, 16 nodes...all clear.