Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting June 2018

Options

Comments

• bheg79
    bheg79 Member Posts: 49
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hi everyone

Im 38 & start chemo tomorrow - 6 cycles TCH - I will be doing scalp cooling and icing my hands and feet. I’m hoping it goes smoothly tomorrow and that my side effects are not too bad. I just want to get these chemo sessions started and over with. It feels like everything has been so slowly. They will be giving my the GCSF shot for the few days after chemo and I’ll be injecting myself YAY! I think it’s similar to neulasta- I’m in Canada so maybe that’s why it’s different.

I’ll keep you all posted! yikes

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766
    edited June 2018
    Options

Domzie, for dry mouth try Biotene dry mouth wash. There are dry mouth lozenges on Amazon as well. For me, though, the best thing is salt/baking soda rinse

• Staylynn
    Staylynn Member Posts: 23
    edited June 2018
    Options

Had my first "Red Devil" aka AC chemo on 6/14, and Neulasta OnPro injector which injected 6/15. I had a few scary side effects about a half hour after the injection. My face was beat red, puffy, hot to the touch, and heart rate in the 130's. I didn't have a temp but placed a call to the on call oncologist. He stated that it is "not an uncommon initial reaction to the Neulasta." I was instructed to take Benadryl and Tylenol and if not better in an hour to go to the ER. It helped but for the next 2 days I noticed at times my heart would be racing out of my chest but returned to normal with rest, the other symptoms did not return. The oncologist called me the next morning to check in and did recommend taking Claritin, which i was already doing. Just wondered if anyone had any

• hollywood1968
    hollywood1968 Member Posts: 35
    edited June 2018
    Options

staylynn,

Sorry you had problems. My first ac was 6/14 also. Starting to feel better today. Have an appointment with the nurse to look at port site. Hope you feel bette

• hollywood1968
    edited June 2018
    Options

staylynn,

Sorry you had problems. My first ac was 6/14 also. Starting to feel better today. Have an appointment with the nurse to look at port site. Hope you feel bette

• Steph74
    Steph74 Member Posts: 70
    edited June 2018
    Options

staylynn— I am from the March board and just finished chemo (TCx4) on May 31 but I just wanted to let you know that I had the same reaction to the Neulasta shot. I know it was from the shot because it happened exactly 30 minutes after each time it went off. Benadryl and Claritin did not prevent the reaction in my case. Not to scare you but for me it got worse each time in that it lasted a little bit longer..after my third round I didn't start feeling better until over an hour after it happened. At my last chemo my doctor wanted to play it safe and not give it to me at all. I felt so much better without it although I knew I had to be extra careful about germs. I hope that you have an easier time with it than I did, but if not definitely talk to your doctor because there are other options. Like I said my doctor allowed me to forgo it all together since it was my last chemo, however she also gave me the option of going back to the office to get a shot with a lower dose of Neulasta. Good luck!

• Staylynn
    Staylynn Member Posts: 23
    edited June 2018
    Options

thanks Hollywood. Good luck at your appt.

• rachelcarter35
    rachelcarter35 Member Posts: 256
    edited June 2018
    Options

Day three after first chemo: Yesterday I felt overwhelmed, vulnerable and very emotional. I think the steroids had been bolstering me up and I could feel the beginnings of fatigue setting in....maybe just nervous anticipation of unknown SEs. I took a Zofran yesterday at three but haven't taken another one. I'm not nauseated anymore, have a slight headache and am seriously constipated so am addressing that with Senocot S, phsyllium seed and plenty of water this morning. My sweetheart took care of me through the whole double mastectomy and was pretty exhausted by the end of it so I've tried to take care of myself as much as possible these last few weeks. I had to let him know this morning that I'm going to probably be a bit more dependent again for the next week. He was beautiful about it. I hate it though. I like to take care of myself. My mouth is dry and a little sore so I'm rinsing with salt and baking soda. My throat is a little sore. I'm a little light headed. I did make my own breakfast and watered my flowers so I'm not completely down. I'm going to try to take a walk. Hope this isn't too mundane or negative. It has been helpful hearing these stories. Hopefully mine will help someone too.

• hollywood1968
    edited June 2018
    Options

rachelcarter35,

I am one day ahead of you on chemo, and today was the day I turned the corner to feeling better. My throat and tongue are a little sore also.

• bgirl
    bgirl Member Posts: 435
    edited June 2018
    Options

Start my Dose Dense AC-T on Friday. Having periods of feeling overwhelmed with some tears. This whole cancer the second time is still weird. People's reactions different too. Not a whole lot of support this time. I guess those who made empty platitude offers the first time are just not saying anything this time. Feeling isolated this time. Often feel like the white elephant in the room. Been out with my husband socially and feel like people would rather I'm not there. Feel like I'm supposed to pretend that nothing is happening and not talk at all about what is going on. Not really helping me psych myself up for 20 weeks of intense chemo. You'll be fine..... I'm certainly hopeful ... Oh you won't lose your hair .... um, yep, pretty much a given. I think some of this makes them feel better ... not sure it is helping me.

• jaybird627
    jaybird627 Member Posts: 1,227
    edited June 2018
    Options

(((bgirl)))

So sorry for your friends who just don't "get it" - they just won't, unfortunately. But fortunately you have US - HERE - to support you and to understand you! Vent away, cry away, wail away. Each day you wake up you're one day closer to being done. :)

Hugs,

Janis

• InnaB2018
    edited June 2018
    Options
    bgirl, so sorry about your friends not getting it! I have someone who calls me once a week and implores me to stay positive, because she lost 3 friends already since the beginning of the year (2 to heart attack, 1 to cancer) and she doesn’t want to lose one more. You can figure out how this conversation impacts me. My hubby doesn’t want me to pick up the phone when she calls.
  • LibbyLouWho18
    LibbyLouWho18 Member Posts: 37
    edited June 2018
    Options

bGirl.... I think you are in the right place. Everyone here is so kind and encouraging. When you have a bad day, take a breath and let us know. Sending hugs your way and hoping you have some happy days soon.

Inna, how terrible, but the good thing is, we can block calls and not answer texts. I've found people really don't know what to say, so they say the first dumb thing that pops in there head!!!

I had my first TC infusion today. It wasn't as terrible as I imagined. The nurse was wonderful and talked me through everything. I'm glad my mom came to sit with me because my sweet hubby was crazy nervous being there. He has terrible anxiety anyway, but add in germs, and he looked like a kid trying to keep a secret! So funny!

I have a dull headache after sitting still all day, but feeling good otherwise. Yay!

Hope you are all doing wellHappy

• bheg79
    bheg79 Member Posts: 49
    edited June 2018
    Options

Had my first TCH infusion today - went better than I thought - wasn’t as terrible as I imagined. Everyone was sooo nice - once we got the scalp cooling machine going it went pretty smoothly. Now im just hoping the side effects are minimal.

One down 5 more to go

• Kat22
    Kat22 Member Posts: 93
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hi all, I've been lurking and decided to jump in the chat. Triple positive here, tumor in right breast and spread to lymph nodes No surgery yet, docs want to do chemo first which was a shocker but I understand why. I had my first round of chemo on June 6. It's been an interesting ride to say the least but I've learned a lot and am ready for round 2 of 6 (TCHP) next week. Nice to meet y'all! We got this....

• InnaB2018
    edited June 2018
    Options

Good luck to all the new gals! It’s doable

• timetobebrave70
    timetobebrave70 Member Posts: 65
    edited June 2018
    Options
    LibbyLouWho and Bheg79- I am glad your first infusion went well today! I know everyone in my cancer center were all so nice and attentive. That really helped me out a lot on my first day. My sweet husband overpacked everything cuz we really weren’t sure what they had. Everybody knew it was our first day. LOL

Bgirl- I am sorry about your friends. Yes, please talk to us. Vent to us. We know because we are right there with you and going through it with you. It bothers me when people tries to give me advice on what to do constantly when they haven’t been through it.

Rachelcarter35 and Hollywood1968- I got sore throat and sores in my mouth on my day #10. Even tho i did the biotene and salt/baking soda....I was very uncomfortable for about 3 days and it’s better now. I find more comfort using biotene more often then the salt/baking soda. I might just do biotene only.

Brooklynmama- I totally agree with you! Only thing I was looking forward to with this chemo was no periods and no pubic hair. 😝 I started to spot right on schedule few days ago. But it’s still only spotting where i would be heavy on my third day so maybe i will still have a chance....

How are you holding up lulabella? Hope all is well and hear from you! ❤️

My update is that i was doing pretty well until like about the 6th day. I got a rash on back of my neck and things went down hill. The rash got worse and it went to my head. I thought I had shingles! Then i got sore throat and sores in my mouth even with biotene and salt/baking soda mixtures. I went to see my oncologist and she says it’s not shingles and it’s not reaction from chemo. She wants to keep an eye on it. She prescribed me Levofloxacin and steroids. My WBC was way low so she will be giving me neulasta shots with my future infusions. So my sore throat went away that night and my rashes got better but mouth sores didn’t get better until after 3 days later. It’s day 13 for me and I am starting to feel good again!

Good Luck Everyone!
  • Washington48
    Washington48 Member Posts: 35
    edited June 2018
    Options

Today was Day1 of cycle 1DDAC to be followed by 12 weeks of Taxil. Other than a slight headache, no side effects...yet. I start 5 days of Neulasta shots tomorrow afternoon. I have to say that I have been reading all your posts! You inspire me! Thank you for sharing what you are learning! I am lucky to have great support of family and friends. It must be terribly hard without that support! I am sorry some of you have that added to everything else!

• Kat22
    edited June 2018
    Options

Greetings, new friend! We are similar in treatment, TCHP x 6 then continued HP for a year. I've seen your posts about the mouth sores. I didn't get to the point of actual sores, but about a week after first treatment my tastebuds were all but gone and my mouth was quite tender. Doc prescribed something called Magic Mouthwash and what a Godsend! In just a couple days my mouth felt better the next day I could taste again. You may want to ask about it.

• Kat22
    edited June 2018
    Options

Greetings, Brave One! We are similar in treatment, TCHP x 6 then continued HP for a year. I've seen your posts about the mouth sores. I didn't get to the point of actual sores, but about a week after first treatment my tastebuds were all but gone and my mouth was quite tender. Doc prescribed something called Magic Mouthwash and what a Godsend! In just a couple days my mouth felt better the next day I could taste again. You may want to ask about it.

• HockeyChick_CA49
    HockeyChick_CA49 Member Posts: 23
    edited June 2018
    Options

Looks like I will be joining the June 2018 chemo club. Starting dose-dense AC-T Friday June 22nd. Nervous and also relieved at the same time. I want this cancer out of me. It's been a roller-coaster ride these past few weeks waiting for test results, etc.

Nervous about the DD regimen but, thanks to this forum, it sounds like it's tolerable. I don't have any family around (they all live out west) so I'm doing this alone. I have a few good friends to help me out when they can. But they have their own lives to worry about. Thankfully a good friend is coming with me to my first treatment.

• Rach123
    Rach123 Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2018
    Options

New here. I also am triple positive and doing chemo first. AC followed by taxol, herceptin and projeta. Surgery will be after the taxol. Invasive plus DCIS and one node. Started chemo on 6/4 and had my second round today. Dreading the effects. So hard to start feeling good again in the second week of the cycle only to do it all again.

Wondering if anyone likes going to chemo alone. So far my boyfriend has come and also my sister and close friend last time. And others are offering. So nice and feel lucky to have their love and support. That said, I kind of want to just be alone there. Anyone else?

Also, anyone else in NYC at Sloan? Anyone also have young kids? Divorced/single?

• timetobebrave70
    timetobebrave70 Member Posts: 65
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hi Kat!!! We even started on the date date! Thank you for the Magic mouth wash tip! I am definitely going to ask my doc!

Rach, my canter only allows one person to be with me. So my husband is the only one that went and will go. My friends have offered but I personally only want my husband there or I too rather be alone. I think it’s okay to feel that way.

• Kat22
    edited June 2018
    Options

Rach: I've only had one round (round 2 next Wed.) but I thoroughly enjoyed having the quiet time alone (well, me and all the other patients, and staff lol). My husband went with me for the first hour or so, then left with my blessing. He brought me lunch and I called him when it was time to pick me up. I will say I'm blessed with being treated in a brand spanking new cancer center that's about a minute's drive from home, with comfy recliners that have heat and vibration, and unlimited snacks and drinks, a tv and Ipad loaded with movies if I want to watch. I kicked back and played Candy Crush all day. And didn't feel guilty lol.

• Kat22
    edited June 2018
    Options

How's everyone's appetite? I'm curious about this because I kind of expected to not feel like eating, but just the opposite is true. Aside from the brief battle with loss of taste, I'm all about the food. Especially sweets. Seems like I want/need sugar like crazy. And yet I've lost weight. Not what I expected.

• Rach123
    edited June 2018
    Options

My appetite hasn’t been great but I’ve heard that steroids make a lot of people really hungry and actually gain weight during chemo.

• Rach123
    edited June 2018
    Options

Getting enjoyment from food is probably not the worse thing right now :)

• Rach123
    edited June 2018
    Options

Sooooo, my hair thinned A LOT this weekend just before round 2. Like you can't tell my looking at me but was a lot. My scalp actually feels funny. MO said the rest will go over the next two weeks. So surreal and scary. Debating when/if to buzz. Figure I'll see what feels right when it starts for real. Decided against cold capping for a bunch of reasons. Ordered a wig and got some hats for home. Wondering how others are handling/feeling.

• InnaB2018
    edited June 2018
    Options

I had 2 DD AC's so far, and I like doing it alone. I don't think there is anything wrong with it. My husband comes with me to the pre-chemo appointments, then leaves and pickes me up when everything is over. I talk to the nurses, read or watch something on the iPad.

My husband buzzed my hair yesterday. I was shedding like a dog and the cleanup drove me crazy. The scalp is so prickly now! Definitely more manageable, though. Oh, well, let's hope it grows back when it's all said and done.

Rach123, I am in Sloane, but in NJ offices. The people here are amazing. Had my mastectomy done in NYC, though. That's the only thing they still do there. I am very impressed by the doctors, the nurses and the facilities. I don't know what I expected, but Sloane exceeded my expectations. What's your experience with them

• bgirl
    bgirl Member Posts: 435
    edited June 2018
    Options

Jaybird627 InnaB2018, LibbyLouWho, and TimetobeBrave70. Thanks for the understanding and encouragement.

InnaB2018 - yes, understand that people mean well. But being written off is annoying before you even start treatment. My trouble besides the friends is my mom. Last time in 2011 she called me twice in the time I did treatment. This time, not at all yet. Sorry you don't want to cope, but. Went to see her a couple of days ago ... see not dead yet.

It gives me encouragement to see most people are managing to cope so far.

HockeyChick Me too for DDAC #1 on Friday. I'm from Ontario as well. Where are you doing your treatment??? Oh, I saw that your HER- was FISH. Still waiting for my status pending further testing with FISH, just curious as to how long the results took you.