Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Your ovarian suppression experiences?

Options
2»

Comments

• jinx27
    jinx27 Member Posts: 119
    edited October 2018
    Options

My side effects from Anastrozole have been killing me weight gain, hot flashes (at least 4 a day) more at night, fatigue, mood swings, slight depression. I didn't start really getting the fatigue, mood swings and hot flashes until I switched pharmacies. Ive just realized my rx is generic and made in India.

Turns out the side effects vary per person but when I took another Anastrozole rx from another manufacturer my side effects weren't this nuts. Im thinking of ordering straight from AstraZeneca as try that for a bit.

The Lupron isn't too bad I think coupled with the Anastrozole it contributed greatly to my 205lb current weight and high cholesterol, im not used to this weight.

• palesa2018
    palesa2018 Member Posts: 58
    edited October 2018
    Options

Bump!

Still keen to hear from others going through this!

• buttonsmachine
    buttonsmachine Member Posts: 339
    edited October 2018
    Options

I'm 4 or 5 months into Zoladex, and it seems that some of my initial side effects might be leveling off somewhat. My mood is more normal, and I'm not having as many hot flashes (although I do still have some). My joints are somewhat creaky feeling, but it's tolerable.

I had a baseline bone density scan, and will get the results next time I see my MO. I'm just taking it one day at a time, but so far so good. Right now it's tolerable, and I feel reassured that I'm protecting myself from the cancer.

• jinx27
    jinx27 Member Posts: 119
    edited October 2018
    Options

Its been two weeks since I starting taking name brand Arimidex, my nausea, headaches, fatigue have decreased at least by 80-90%. Im really happy about it.

I feel like I can garner up the energy to go to the gym now. I really think the name brand is better, at least for me.

In regards to bone density, my MO has me on GROW BONE SYSTEM by Garden of Life, I have osteopenia in my lower back and hip. It supposed to help with Vit D, K and calcium levels and have been shown to help prevent further development of osteopenia.

Keep going on ladies, keep pushing.

• Walden1
    Walden1 Member Posts: 110
    edited November 2018
    Options

buttonsmach

Sounds like our weight battle is pretty much identical. I've now cut everything, and I mean everything, high calorie out of my diet, no juice , no sugar, no processed carbs, minimal bread. I've always been pretty healthy food wise, but never this strict. My big treat is a post dinner apple! I've also stopped eating anything after 8 or 9 at night, which has been pretty tough. my weight is stuck at around 140 (5-10 more than my norm) but it's only been a few weeks with this extreem diet. Luckily I've seen the bloating ease off very recently. Hoping I can keep this up long enough to loose 5 pounds. You took the words right out of my mouth when you said you want to keep some of your former self. It's still pretty hard for me to accept early menopause, on top of everything else.

Still have a lot of sweaty hot flashes. I wonder if the bloating reduction has something to do with needing my next shot tomorrow? I'll let you know what changes with my next round. Maybe we will both get lucky and see the SE ease off after a few more months. Good luck

• palesa2018
    edited November 2018
    Options

I wonder if the frequency of the shot makes a difference. I asked my MO and she said frequency does not make a difference. I'm on the 3 months schedule not the monthly schedule for Zoladex. Dosage effect is the same. My hot flushes have not been extreme. MO did warn me that they will get worse when I start Tamoxifen which is soon (just finished radiation).

• lexica
    lexica Member Posts: 138
    edited November 2018
    Options

I am on monthly Lupron + Aromasin (exemestane). I'm curious why some MO's prescribe Zoladex and others Lupron? Does anyone know? Also, is anyone getting their hormone levels checked? I have been on monthly lupron for about 7-8 months, and am starting to notice a decrease in side effects - less hot flashes, sleeping better, etc (although this could be due to the fact that it is getting cooler out - less triggers for those hot flashes). But, it makes me think that the lupron isn't working anymore and my estrogen is back! Thinking about asking for a hormone level test...

• Fedders
    Fedders Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2018
    Options

My MO wanted to put me on ovary suppression injections but I opted to have my ovaries removed instead (I'm 41). That was two months ago and I have not had any regrets. I'm on letrozole (generic brand comparable to Femara) and my main side effects are a) that I wake up at 5 am every morning but that seems to be getting a bit better and b) occasional hot flashes. I have made a few simple lifestyle adjustments since before I was diagnosed including cutting down on sugar, keeping my alcohol intake to 7 or less units per week and exercising regularly. I feel good under the circumstances and haven't gained any weight.

If you're considering an alternative to the monthly injections, having your ovaries removed might be an option. It was an easy decision for me because I wasn't planning on getting pregnant and I felt relieved to drastically reduce my risk of developing ovarian cancer. But it's such a personal decision and not right for everyone.

Lastly, I really believe a healthy lifestyle can make a big difference in how you feel. I'm certainly not the most experienced person when it comes to the side effects of menopause as I'm still early in the process but I almost feel better now (in menopause) than I did pre-menopause with more sugar and alcohol and less exercise.

Good luck, I'm confident you will make the right choice :)!

• lexica
    edited November 2018
    Options

Hi, Fedders - thanks for your input. I am still considering the oophorectomy, but I also have slight osteopenia, so I feel like - if I can get through the next 7-10 years and still be NED, but continue to have bone issues, I will likely want to go off of the ovarian suppression. I would be 41-44 at that point, so there is a chance my 'menopause' would end. My mother had severe osteoporosis at a young age, and it was a difficult thing (several hip replacements and at the end her left femur was so deteriorated that they could not give her a hip). Sometimes these decisions are too hard :(

• buttonsmachine
    edited January 2019
    Options

I've been on Zoladex for about 7 months now, so I just wanted to update, and offer encouragement for others who might be starting out.

My side effects have continued to diminish compared to how it was in the beginning. I still get hot flashes, but they are less frequent and less intense. I also still have some joint pain, mostly in my back, but it's tolerable. I've actually lost some weight, and while I'm not back to my normal pre-cancer weight, I'm feeling more comfortable.

Soon I'll have to start an aromatase inhibitor too, so that might shake things up, but Zoladex alone has been okay for me.

• palesa2018
    edited January 2019
    Options

Thanks for sharing buttons. I've also been doing well on Zoladex, 4 months now. Hot flashes not so intense, was expecting worse. Also been ok on Tamoxifen. No overt SEs

• adelozier
    adelozier Member Posts: 30
    edited January 2019
    Options

Do any of you get ur hormone levels checked to see if the shot is putting you into menopause ? My dr wont test ..but a family dr told me that he has seen it actually cause the ovaries to rebound back and make estrogen explode. This is terrifying to me considering... i have been on zoladex 5 months now ..

• buttonsmachine
    edited January 2019
    Options

Adelozier, I have heard of some MO's checking hormone levels to make sure the shot is working. However, I'm not sure whether that is routinely done, or if it's only done when they suspect the shot might not be working. You raise a good question though! Maybe others will chime in who know more.

• adelozier
    edited February 2019
    Options

still wondering if others have their hormone levels tested to see if the shot is working...

• lexica
    edited February 2019
    Options

Me too Adelozier. Mine doesn't, but I'm going to ask for it.

• Cpeachymom
    Cpeachymom Member Posts: 249
    edited February 2019
    Options

My MO waited a few months after switching me from Lupron to Zoladex before rechecking my hormones. I’m surprised that more MOs don’t check them since the shots don’t work for everyone. I would definitely request it.

• Sophiemara
    Sophiemara Member Posts: 20
    edited February 2019
    Options

I was on zoladex for 3 years, but I came off two weeks ago to try for a baby. I didn’t find zoladex that bad, just hot flushes which only gets worse in summer, but it’s pretty manageable. Not sure if it’s that or the arimidex causing it. Now waiting to see if it worked and protected my ovaries.

• Cpeachymom
    Cpeachymom Member Posts: 249
    edited February 2019
    Options

Good luck to you Sophiamara!

• buttonsmachine
    edited February 2019
    Options

Best wishes Sophiemara!

• gkbuser
    gkbuser Member Posts: 300
    edited March 2019
    Options

adelozier, My MO wouldn't check it, but I was able to talk my gyn MD into ordering it. It showed that the meds were doing a good job suppressing. I know it didn't change anything, it just felt nice to know. One less thing to worry about you know?

• adelozier
    edited March 2019
    Options

mine showed my estrodial level to be 36... ughhhhh after all that begging my dr I find out the shot isnt suppressing my ovaries the full 28 days... I'm beyond upset... now dr wants me to rush to have my ovaries out ... im so tired of this

• Nomoresideffects
    Nomoresideffects Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2019
    Options

ive tried tamoxifen 3mo headaches leg oain was horrible so i switched to trelstar injection 1x a month and the started the letrozole had a bacterial infections.. Every month for about 6 months.. Tried exemestane but doc stopped thst cuz i got another. Bacterial infection aling w a yeast infection.. They gave me antibiotics 4mo in a row.. I was told i had atrophuc vaginitis. Sex totally iff the table.. Painful and NEVER was bevore these dang drugs.. Im no on toremifene 26 days in and i feel like im losing the rest of myself what was left anyways.. Flashes foggy bone pain in legs and my back problems are really acting up again.. I m really at the end w this first they cut my boobs off then they break my vag..im really not coping very well im 46 single mom and feel alone.. I hope this helps someone.. I guess if i can take toremifene for 3 months how much more damage will be done? I dont want to rake it anymore everynigjt when its time yo take the next dose it feels like an entire month ..its kust dragging out.. Ugha if you can deal w se than migjt as well take but this crap us for the birds..

• Sophiemara
    Sophiemara Member Posts: 20
    edited March 2019
    Options

Thanks ladies, just wanted to say I think zoladex really worked for me. I had chemo and took zoladex for three years..I came off it 5 weeks ago and just on Monday I got my first period. I’m so relieved and fairly quick too. I’d highly recommend zoladex if you are thinking of preserving fertility.

• BCFighter2017
    BCFighter2017 Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2019
    Options

Sophiemara : Thats good news!

I have been taking zoladex shots before the start of my chemo , till now with my hormonal pill aromasin. I was planning to talk to my Onco this May to talk about stopping it for baby options.

Hopefully Zoladex worked for me as well. I didn't do any fertility treatments.

Wish you all the Good luck :)

• SandyRobinson
    SandyRobinson Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2022
    Options

I would like to know that also

• SandyRobinson
    SandyRobinson Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2022
    Options

may I ask your age and if they are going to give you bisfosfenates? My doctor says I just need a bone dexa scan every 2 years.Im wondering why I'm not getting bisfosfenates if they strengthen your bones. Thank you..