Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

AC treatment

Options

Comments

• lw422
    lw422 Member Posts: 1,399
    Options

Thanks, Moth. Actually, I do get that but I wasn't thinking of the steroid. I slept a lot yesterday but really felt horrible.

• lw422
    Options

pchyen--Peter, thanks for the response on the swelling. Mine dissipated after a day or so and the MO didn't seem too concerned. I hope Nicole is doing well with treatment.

• HopeHeal
    HopeHeal Member Posts: 137
    Options

Moth, just wanted to let you know I am following your blog and really enjoy it. Besides being informative it is realistic and honest which helps moderate expectations. There is no comment section but does it have the capacity to show you he amount of visitors? I have you in my prayers for a complete healing. Thank you for taking the time to share the blog, I am sure others are benefitting.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    Options

HopeHeal, thank you for following my blog & keeping me in your thoughts 😊 🤗 comments are open but I think only if you have a Tumblr account... I think that's how it works, anyway. I do get comments on it occasionally from Tumblr users

There is capacity for it but I intentionally do not have stat counters or isp location trackers activated on it.

• lw422
    Options

Can anyone offer any help for the nasty taste in my mouth that makes everything taste horrible? I brush my teeth and swish mouthwash and baking soda/water, but that disgusting mouth thing is making me crazy(er). Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

• aram
    aram Member Posts: 320
    Options

LW422, unfortunately I don't have a solution but I had the same issue with AC. Water tasted gross and my mouth had this constant sweet taste. I would eat salty to get rid of the sweet taste and it helped just for a bit. It usually went away around day 9-10, and then the runny nose would start.

• lw422
    Options

Thanks, Aram. I was afraid that would be the answer. I'm a week out from AC #1 and feeling so crappy. Oh, and my nose has already started dripping. Fun times with no nose hair, huh? I seem to be more "mucus-y", too. When I wake up in the morning I have a lot of mucus in my throat. So disgusting.

• lw422
    Options

Did anyone here have fingernail/toenail discoloration, damage, or lifting with AC? If so, did you ice your hands and feet during treatment? The nurses at my chemo facility say that icing is not necessary with AC infusions, but I think they probably mean for neuropathy...?? I am thinking that it won't hurt to continue to ice during infusions if it could possibly help me keep all my nails. Any input appreciated.

• aram
    Options

LW422, here are my nails after AC. Some discoloration but no lifting. I did not ice as I was told it doesn't help.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    Options

I had discoloration and some ridging on AC but it was super minor. I noticed it but nobody else did. I didn't ice during AC at all.

• HopeHeal
    Options

Had my post AC MRI today. After 8 weeks of work surrounding the 4 treatments, disappointed the mass only shrunk by a third. It seemed to respond quickly out of the gate then seemed to slow down. AC is supposed to be the strongest cocktail. I hope this doesn't mean resistant or new growth.

• lw422
    Options

Thanks, Aram and Moth. The dental hygienist who cleans my teeth lost a couple of nails from AC so that has had me concerned about it. Do y'all recall when you first noticed the ridging/discoloration? I've had one infusion so far. (If I lose my nails after all this crap, end up bald and with one boob, I'm going to spend hours on the Steam thread.) I'm effing tired of cancer. :annoyed:

HopeHeal--girl, shrinking by 1/3 sounds great!! Any improvement is worth it, IMO. I had a significant shrinkage with my Taxol treatment but won't have AC scans until I've had the remaining three infusions. Keep your chin up; that is GOOD news.

• aram
    Options

LW422, I noticed it mostly aftertaste treatment but really it is not that bad and I haven't gotten any comments about it.

HopeHeal, I am kind of in the same boat. At the beginning the MO mentioned it is softening and I was hoping I wouldn't be able to find it when AC is done but I still can. Unfortunately I haven't seen anything about how much shrinking is supposed to happen. Someone mentioned sometimes chemo has seiss cheese effect and it leaves behind the shell. I am hoping that is the case for now.

• HopeHeal
    Options

Hi Aram - tumor buddy,

I felt the swiss cheese effect after round 2, it was broken up but then it became a ball again by round 3. Hoping, like you said, it's necrotic. I don't think MRI would show that difference. I haven't been able to find much in my research either. Shrinkage seems to be top secret with MOs, they don't talk about it much unless it's really reducing. Are you going to Taxol soon? I'm starting next round.

• aram
    Options

HopeHeal, I am starting weekly Taxol this Wednesday. Is yours weekly or DD?

• HopeHeal
    Options

Non-DD taxol weekly, Aram,

I made an error on the MRI reading. it says the area is a non-mass enhancement with its measurement. The first MRI described a mass. Woo hoo, "non-mass," don't know how I missed that. I think that means it's been broken up. It's important we read the language properly on these tests as they are an emotional roller coaster. I can still feel a lump though.

LW422, thank you! feeling better now. I'm about to start Taxol after AC so if you had significant shrinkage hope I'm in for same. My having AC shrinkage should ensure your little guy will be bombarded. AC was easy for me with only mild complications; hope it's an easy ride for you too. Worried about the Taxol neuropathy and carrying all that HEAVY icing material to and from appointments. I'm in no shape to be lugging around cooler luggage. At least with AC that wasn't a concern. Don't worry LW422, your hair will grow back, the discoloration should fade & in the end you'll get a nice looking boob result. 😊

• lw422
    Options

Hope, when it comes right down to it, I just want to live. So all this will be a temporary inconvenience if I get to be around for a while. I gripe about all the SEs, etc., but imagine if we didn't have this modern treatment? We can all do this. Have a nice weekend!

I don't know what heavy stuff you're dragging around, but I just took a regular empty ice bag with me and the nurses put ice in it for my hands. I carried my foot icing socks in a small lunch-size cooler. I didn't ice my head.

• HopeHeal
    Options

Yes LW422 I think quite a lot about how lucky we are to have these drugs, you highlighted their importance. Great tips on the icing to try.

• aram
    Options

HopeHeal, that is great news!

• seagoddess2021_
    seagoddess2021_ Member Posts: 10
    Options

I had no idea that the runny nose was from the AC treatments! Finished cycle #3... 5 days out. The low lying nausea is a constant battle even with meds

• lw422
    Options

Hello Seagoddess2021. I'm not sure if the AC causes the drippy nose, or if losing nose hair just makes the problem more obvious. :biggrin: I agree about the low-level nausea; I also had that for about a week but I never did throw up. I just felt "sick" and really awful; kind of hard to describe but I know y'all know the feeling.

My AC #2 is Tuesday so I'm already getting anxiety. At least I know pretty much what to expect this time, so hopefully it won't be as difficult. (And I'll be able to say I'm HALFWAY through!!)

Have good week, everyone.

• aram
    Options

Seagoddess2021, my runny nose was from day 8-9 till beginning the next cycle. It had a pattern so my MO believed it is most probably a side effect although apparently it is not very common with AC. Mine is much better now. My last AC was about 4 weeks ago. I hope yours get better soon.

• HopeHeal
    Options

Finished AC over 2 weeks ago & started Taxol before the weekend, & dealing with body aches.

• lw422
    Options

OMG, is this nightmare ever going to end?? My 3rd AC is next Tuesday and I swear I have felt like crap this entire time. When I think about Tuesday I get "anticipatory nausea" and the anxiety starts. All I can think about is what permanent damage this poison must be doing to my body. I can't stand this. I just can't. The sick feeling, the body aches, the general shakiness, the shortness of breath, the blurry vision, the god-awful taste in my mouth, the runny nose, the phlegm in my throat every morning. I am such a ball of misery.

Sorry for whining, but this just effing blows and if this is what my life will be, I've had enough. Yeah... I'm on the down low tonight.

• mamacure
    mamacure Member Posts: 256
    Options

Hang in there LW422! You are 50% done with AC! I start #1 next Thursday & scared AF. Final 2 Taxol/Abraxane went well. I remember that cruddy feeling after Carbo, but remember it does end and you will feel better again. I agree what damage it does to our bodies…I hope the healthy cells overcome it eventually. Thinking of you! Hang on ladies!

• lw422
    Options

Hey Mamacure. Bless your heart, I hope and pray that you have an easy time with AC... many people do. Sorry if my previous post added to your anxiety but I have had such a hard time lately and I just want this to be OVER. I am so afraid of permanent damage from all the harsh chemicals, but after drawing the IBC card I'm pretty much locked into this horror.

My best to you and I will keep my fingers crossed that you do well next week. I'll be checking on you. Take care.

• aram
    Options

Hi LW422, I remember writing something very similar after my second AC infusion in March chemo group. I couldn't believe it is possible for me to go through two more of those. But those two turned out to be better at the end. Still awful but more manageable. I hope yours turn out to be better as well.

• lw422
    Options

Hi there, Aram. Thanks for chiming in; I know I sound like a crybaby but I'm so miserable. I hope you are doing well; where are you in your treatment? I need to go read the March thread. Take care.

• aram
    Options

LW422, I completely understand you. The first week after each AC I was absolutely miserable. But on the bright side, my tumors shrank considerably so it was definitely worth it.

I have 8 more weekly Taxol, then surgery and after that a year of Herceptin.

• Indigo29
    Indigo29 Member Posts: 87
    Options

I received my AC chemo first - I had 4 treatments which were given every 2 weeks and then the Taxol once a week for 12 weeks. For me the AC was definitely harder then the taxol. I wish that my medical team had stressed the importance of having lots of fiber and water in my diet , ( before starting chemo and during chemo ), because the chemo really did a number on my digestive tract and it has never been the same since .
    I would also advice those who are about to start their AC chemo to go to the dentist and get a thorough dental checkup and get any dental work done if needed. I got quite a few mouth ulcers which made it difficult to eat and to clean my teeth. My oncologist prescribed a mouthwash which is made by the pharmacist which helped soothe it a little.

Obviously, not everyone going through AC gets these side effects but they were my experiences and I would really have appreciated someone advising me that they may happen and what to do if they did.

Exercise, even a little bit really helps with the fatigue.

Wishing everyone going through treatment minimal side effects and best possible results