Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting January 2019

Options

Comments

• mnsotamom74
    mnsotamom74 Member Posts: 28
    Options

leg pain anyone? Day 5 since my first chemo and the leg cramps that never subside are driving me crazy. Ideas or advice for relief greatly appreciated

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    Options

Are you taking Claritin? Reg 1 per 24 hour dose, beginning 2 days before chemo day for a week

• MLAnne
    MLAnne Member Posts: 65
    Options

I took the Claritin but the body aches are terrible. Any other methods of pain control?

• Jenkins00
    Jenkins00 Member Posts: 99
    Options

MLanne- sorry to hear about the body aches. I was told to take Tylenol or Ibuprofen if the pain continues while taking the Claritin.

• MLAnne
    Options

It isn't so much the intensity of the pain, it is the unrelenting nature of it. It never stops! If you keep busy doing something active, it can take your mind of it but the minute you sit down to watch TV or lay down to sleep, it seems to be all you can focus on. I went to Balance and Flex at the Y this morning and as expected I was able to focus on the new routine rather than the pain, but now that I am seated at the computer...I just want it to stop. I have been taking Advil in addition to the Claritin but I was hesitant to add any other meds. My kitchen counter is beginning to look like a pharmacy aisle. I was wondering if anyone had relief from hot packs or cold packs or something like that?

Sorry if I come off as whining....DH always takes anything he can't fix as a personal failing so I am trying to not make him feel any more useless than he already feels.

• santabarbarian
    Options

I did not have this SE but when I have body aches like w flu I do a hot bath or a heating pad. Cant hurt...

• B74
    B74 Member Posts: 43
    Options

Could you try something like massage or acupuncture? (If there is anyone near you with experience with chemotherapy patients).

I forget about acupuncture for years at a time but always seem to remember it when I have something that nothing else will help

• Kathy03
    Kathy03 Member Posts: 44
    Options

Hi... looks like this is the group for me. My first chemo is Jan 18. I have my chemo class and cardiac echo on Wednesday, port on Thursday, then my first of 6 cycles starts Friday.  Doxetaxel, carboplatin, Herceptin, perjeta.  I've been reading up on what to expect, the shared experiences and tips are so helpful!   

• Mncteach
    Mncteach Member Posts: 241
    Options

Welcome Kathy03.... yes this is the right group for you. Sorry you have to join us but happy you are here.

• beingpositive
    beingpositive Member Posts: 70
    Options

Ladies, I am from September group and completed 4 TC chemo rounds. Just wanted to let you know that I had the leg/body pain from 5th till 8/9th day in each cycle, was worst in the first one. Tylenol didn't help me, MO suggested to take Advil. I too was reluctant to add one more tablet, but it eased the pain. I took 400 mg twice though she said 600 too was fine. So check with your MO as they have good medication options if one doesn't work. I also took non caffeine Nuun electrolyte, which was good option for water and I think helped me.

Hang in there ladies, it is tough but you can do it!

• Jenkins00
    Options

Welcome Kathy03 to the group. Sorry you are here.

BeingPositive and santabarbaian- Thank you!

MLAnne and mnsotamom74- How is the leg pain? I hope it’s better.

• B74
    Options

mnsotamom74 & MLAnne - hope you have found some relief from the leg & body aches, sounds awful.

I'm now on day 11 and happily, am feeling pretty much totally normal. The only lingering effects are that I can't stand the thought of coffee (which is a bummer) or anything sweet or processed (which I guess is a good thing). Everything else tastes great, especially vegetables. I lost around 4kg (8 or 9 lb) when I fasted pre- and post-chemo, so am eating heaps of good food to try & put it back on.

I'm getting nervous about losing my hair though, every little prickle or itch on my scalp has me wondering - 'Is it starting?!' I know some ladies actually look great shaved/bald but I know for a fact I'm going to look strange.

The other bummer is that each healthy/good day is another step closer to the next infusion ShockedShockedShockedShocked I'm dreading it SOOOOO much - guess I have to try to put it out of my mind as much as possible and just enjoy feeling ok. Mind you, the next week includes a blood test, review of round 1 with the MO and appointment with familial cancer team re genetic testing - so a bit hard to forget.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    Options

Hello ladies, popping in from the Feb 2018 thread to cheer you on. This too shall pass & it will be a weird memory soon.

Someone shared words with me which I have found so useful - "you don't have to be brave, you just have to show up"

Just keep showing up.

gentle hugs!

• Jenkins00
    Options

Mncteach - I see you live in VT. I lived in Highgate for 6 years and my son stills live in Johnson. Graduated from Johnson State in 2018.

• Mariett
    Mariett Member Posts: 9
    Options

B74 I too have gone off coffee but that's about it. Feel back to normal today. Roll on round 2...😁

• ErinMFerrell
    ErinMFerrell Member Posts: 6
    Options

Yes! I'm Erin Ferrell In Portland, Maine. Im beginning chemo Jan 25, 2019

AC-4 than Taxol 12.

• ErinMFerrell
    Options

Sorry...Why Claritin?

• ErinMFerrell
    Options

Hi Kathy, I'm Erin. I start Chemo Jan 25 in Portland, Maine. This week I have EKG and get Port and Nurse Counsel. 4 weeks AC then 12 Taxol.

Erin

• ErinMFerrell
    Options

Hi B74, I'm also Stage 2 B. Beginning Chemo Jan 25. 4AC-12Taxol. Then radiation

• Mncteach
    Options

Jenkins00- yes I’m from VT. I have a couple of friends in the Johnson area

• Mncteach
    Options

Hi Erin, welcome. Claritin helps some people with the pain from Neulasta. I have my EKG this week too, but port and chemo start the end of the month for me. Met with nurse last week.

• MLAnne
    Options

Jenkins00 and B74 - the leg/hip pain is slightly better today but still bothersome.

BeingPostitive - Thanks for the advice. I am currently taking 200mg Advil 4 times a day. I might take 400mg right before bed to see if I can get some quality sleep. I am not happy to hear that you thought the 5th through the 8th/9th was the worst...I was really hoping I was already experiencing the worst.

B74 - I understand your paranoia about your hair. I was thinking somewhere around the 2 week mark would be the d-day folliclely speaking. But when I asked the onco nurse, she thought I wouldn't lose it til after my second infusion putting at 3 or 4 weeks. I wish there wasn't such uncertainity.

• Jenkins00
    Options

Welcome ErinMFerrel to the January 2019 group. Good luck with your appointments this week.

B74 and Marriet- Oh no coffee! I’m hoping I can still enjoy a cup or two.

MLanne- I hope you are able to get good sleep tonight.

Steroids are making me feel wired, then sleepy and thirsty. Already on my fourth bottle of water.

• Survivor9960
    Survivor9960 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi - Iam meeting with oncologist tomorrow to have chemo before surgery. Looks like I will also be on the same perjeta plan. How are you doing? Nice to have someone with the same situation. God bless JW

• B74
    Options

Jenkins00 - you’re on a different drug combo so it might not affect your tastes in the same way

• Mylife42
    Mylife42 Member Posts: 11
    Options

New to this group. I will be starting my first treatment on Jan 15. Nervous but ready to get this all started!

• Mncteach
    Options

Welcome mylife42! So sorry you had to join us but glad you found us. Good luck on your treatments and feel free to ask questions and share experiences

• santabarbarian
    Options

I am about 6 weeks past my last chemo, 2 weeks past my lumpectomy. Feeling normal again! Keep your eyes on the horizon and plan something fun for late Spring! Sending love and good vibes to all you January women (and men?) and hoping for lots of dead cancer.

• Jenkins00
    Options

B74 - Slaps forehead! Your right, I didn't even think about that. Thanks for pointing this out!

Welcome new members to the January group. Sorry you have to join us but we are here for you!

Santabarbian- Thank you for the continued support.

Off to my first infusion. Will check in later with an update.

• gkidsnana
    gkidsnana Member Posts: 13
    Options

my life I am starting chemo tomorrow also and mine is pre surgery. sounds like we will have the same drugs

good luck everyone and hoping everyone has few side effects