Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

RAD50

Options
dlittkemann
dlittkemann Member Posts: 91
edited March 2022 in Genetic Testing

Hi everyone

I had triple negative bc. Told all clear now and also gene test came back negative for all 20 include brac but was an inconclusive for this RAD one. Do I need be worried? Kind of wish I'd not had it done now. I'm 43. Have a 4 year old. So sick of worrying. Any one else in my situation? Oh I also had a bilateral mase

Comments

• irishlove
    irishlove Member Posts: 471
    edited September 2019
    Options

I thought I would bump this post as I too have the RAD 50 mutation and it was listed as a VUS by Invatie genetic testing company. Anyone tested by a different company that lists RAD 50 mutation as a positive??

• vlnrph
    vlnrph Member Posts: 487
    edited September 2019
    Options

Ambry has it on their panels, Myriad does not.

Studies from northern Finland about 15 years ago found a pathogenic variety, possibly implicated in ovarian CA. Do you have a genetic counselor to help monitor reports?

Also, consider joining the PROMPT study. By pooling individual results, it may lead to clarification of the risks associated with some of these more uncommon mutations.

• irishlove
    irishlove Member Posts: 471
    edited September 2019
    Options

Hi and thanks for responding. I do not have a genetic counselor. My guess is because my insurance, a Medicare Advantage HMO, is not willing to provide one. The BS interpreted my report. I did join the PROMPT study. I hope others join it, too.

• CGLion
    CGLion Member Posts: 24
    edited September 2019
    Options

I don't have my genetic test back yet, but I have a very basic understanding of how the genetics work. And I was lucky enough that at my new BS office my surgeons PA is a genetic counselor. So she explained it to me again. What I understand of the process is that we all have these genes, and each of the genes have different variations (alleles). Some of those variations have been found to not have any association with an increased risk of carcinoma and are not pathogenic. Other variations have been proven with several studies to have statistically significant likelihood of increasing chances of carcinoma and they are called pathogenic. The ones that are considered variations of unknown significance have not had enough research done on that variation to determine if they are not pathogenic or if they are pathogenic. From reading research articles it is possible some of these variations may only be pathogenic when combined with other specific variations from a different gene, which could be why they have not been able to completely classify that variant yet.

Each gene variation should have a name, basically a string of letter and numbers that means something to people smarter than me. Your gene report should have that listed. With that in hand you can search Google scholar and look for any research articles done that include that variant. It might help you know more about what the risk from that variant is, even if the results are not statistically significant yet.

I did a quick search for the Rad50 gene and found this site that looks like it has information about some of the variants. Hope this helps!

https://genomeinterpretation.org/content/rad50

• beginagain22
    beginagain22 Member Posts: 100
    edited March 2022
    Options

Hi Irish,

I was told I have RAD51c mutation today and my surgeon is now recommending a BMX instead of lumpectomy followed up with a hysterectomy. Kinda in shock

• harley07
    harley07 Member Posts: 273
    edited March 2022
    Options

@beginsgain - I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I have a RAD51D mutation. Have you met with a genetic counselor. If not, I highly recommend you do so to give you a better overview of risk and mitigation

Best Wishes

• beginagain22
    beginagain22 Member Posts: 100
    edited March 2022
    Options

Thank you Harley!

• Jojobird
    Jojobird Member Posts: 95
    edited March 2022
    Options

I have a RAD 51C mutation. What is the PROMPT study?