Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Has anyone been cured via the holistic route?

Options

Comments

• pipers_dream
    pipers_dream Member Posts: 187
    edited December 2018
    Options

meow, no I haven’t...it failed to show up the first time on mammo, U/S, or even a thermogram. I did have the biopsy so I know I have it and the tumor is close enough to the surface to feel. And I can’t explain it but it’s like I just don’t care. I don’t mean that I’m depressed or suicidal... it’s not that at all...it’s just that I am busy sucking the marrow out of life and having fun with whatever time I have left and I’m actually on an extended road trip right now and living out of my van. I’d like to live out my lifespan but that may not be possible. I prefer to believe that it is and I know for a fact that belief in your body’s ability to heal is hugely important.

MDRR, your doc sounds lovely and more docs should think this way. Science is great but it’s not a god, no matter what the industry thinks. I’m not one to rail against “big pharma” but I do know that medical schools are funded by industry dollars so that’s what is going to be taught.

• kec1972
    kec1972 Member Posts: 71
    edited January 2019
    Options

Hi there, I haven’t been, though I just picked up the book “Radical Remission” by Dr Kelly Turner and am fascinated by it...check it out

• brinkofeternity
    brinkofeternity Member Posts: 181
    edited January 2019
    Options

Just wanted to share 2 “remission” stories I know of. A friend’s grandmother was diagnosed with BC years ago and after treatments failed her, she mysteriously got better for some months. No alternative medicine was pursued but she just got better on her own. Unfortunately it did come back and she eventually passed.

My mother was diagnosed with ovarian cancer and after chemo failed her and the cancer spread, she also had a mysterious reprieve for several months. I encouraged her to get a PET scan during that time and it revealed her numerous small tumors had disappeared - but one very active larger one appeared in the middle. It grew and later she passed as well.

Having read about how cancer cells can become dormant I do think there’s a lot we don’t know about cancer. Sometimes people feel better because of something they try but it may or may not have to do with anything they did. My mom swore by this herbal soup she drank and was convinced that’s what made her feel better, but at the end it didn’t help. My theory is that new tumor ate up all the resources from the smaller ones and made her better for some time.

Sorry I don’t have a full cure story..

• Tomichi1
    Tomichi1 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2019
    Options

Hello! I’m glad to see your post. I was diagnosed with DCIS Stage0/Grade3. Had a lumpectomy (3 month ago) but am not sure how I want to proceed. My husband is holistic. I’m being told Radiation + drugs. I’ve said no to the drugs and was told that that’s ok. Since I was away with work, and it’s been 3 months after my lumpectomy, I’m wondering about just moving forward and getting screened every 6 mos. Would they catch a recurrence early? I’m meeting the Radiologist tomorrow to get info on that. The side effects are scary. I’m also meeting with a surgeon about mastectomy. So overwhelming. I’d love to hear from anyone else who maybe opted out of the medical options.

• jo6359
    jo6359 Member Posts: 2,009
    edited January 2019
    Options

tomich- why is a mastectomy recommended?

• WC3
    WC3 Member Posts: 658
    edited January 2019
    Options

BrinkOfEternity:

I think that's a pretty good theory.

• monarch777
    monarch777 Member Posts: 338
    edited January 2019
    Options

What some may feel is a cure may simply be a dormant cancer cell that could wake up 10-15-20 years later. That being said, I tried to live my life well, cancer free, until it woke up. I wish good health to allwho are moving beyond cancerHeart

• jo6359
    edited January 2019
    Options

JoE- I will gladly take that dormant cancer cell and not have to worry for another 10 15 20 years. I agree with you. There are no guarantees in life. All any of us can do is try to live our life to the fullest.

• monarch777
    monarch777 Member Posts: 338
    edited January 2019
    Options

Totally feel the same way. Mine lasted 6 good years

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363
    edited January 2019
    Options

I guess I don't worry much about dormant cells waking up after 10 years. The risk of recurrence may be elevated a little more than someone without a history of personal cancer.

But recurrence is something that can really rock you to the core, the biopsy I had 2 years ago scared me to death. It was ok, no cancer and now I relax a bit more.

• Enerva
    Enerva Member Posts: 2,985
    edited January 2019
    Options

hi all

Just wanted to thank you for this tread.

I have decided not to take the drugs recommended by my oncologist. I did all the conventional treatments back in 2012. Then my c came back at year 5.

I am now taking something that is helping me a lot. Called MMS

I was doing great and decided to stop talking it last year well big mistake now my c in activate again. I started on this solution 3 days ago and already seen the improvement as per my pain is no longer there.

I also agree with many of you.

This must be related to just random bad luck,

I dont think there is anything that can explain why so many of us have to deal with this.

I will look at all the links provided here.

I want to get vitamin C Iv injections, I heard many people benefit from it.

Thanks again

• meow13
    edited January 2019
    Options

Enerva, if conventional treatment was always the best answer then it would be alot more sucessful than it is. I was told fight this by throwing the kitchen sink at it. Well nothing I saw convinced me that was the way to go. My oncodx was 34 and my arm was twisted off by nurses and doctors to do chemo and I just said no. My oncologist talked with me I explained why I wasn't convinced by the statistics and that was the end of that. I did do AI drugs now 7 years later still no cancer. My situation was 2 small tumors close to the surface and sign of cancer anywhere else 95 % er positive pr negative, her2 negative.

Unfortunately, I have been criticised on BCO by a few members. There is no right way to fight this disease and disagree with statements made "Everyone I know that didn't do conventional treatment is dead". I know many that did everything possible conventional treatment offered that are dead.

I am sure that you are doing what is right for you and I hope your cancer does not come back.

• Enerva
    edited January 2019
    Options

oh Meo13 thanks, my cancer is back but this time I am doing what is best for me.

I know what you mean, the oncologist is very upset but it is my decision.

I will keep researching until I find something that works for me. If nothing does I will have no regrets ThumbsUp

• exercise_guru
    exercise_guru Member Posts: 333
    edited February 2019
    Options

This is not intermittent fasting :

This is not a holistic route per say but I think it is worth suggesting a research into Valter Longo and his work on fasting. he is doing not an alternative practitioner. He works for university of california and is working on some very good research regarding fasting ( usually for 5 days) repeatedly to help kill cancer cells. They are also doing a research project with BRCA1 and BRCA2 women to see if this type of fasting called "The fasting mimicking diet" can prevent cancer in women who do not choose Dbl Mastectomies. I am currently doing his "longevity eating program" along with the FMD every 6 weeks . Eventually when I get all my markers to normal then I will do the FMD every 3 months. It is not that bad once you have done it a few times and honestly anyone who has gone through this cancer treatment once has a will of nails so they can do it. Also all the money made through the program( if you use the Prolon kit or buy his book) goes towards research for people who are stage 4 or need answers now. I think it would be worth it to find out if you would be eligible for that organization to work with your provider to help use that protocol. I would also add that if you don't have a good support from your provider FIND support where you can to make sure you can do this program safely. In my case I was young with not no counterindications . I told my MO but he wasn't interested. If I had a reoccurence you bet your sweet knees I would get some better support and I would be more active in my treatment than I was the first time.

I also am at high high risk for reoccurance or progression so I eat a whole foods plant based diet ( like on "Forks over "Knives" documentary ) I also consume daily cooked mushrooms, Broccoli sprouts, and Flax seed in addition to a whole foods diet.

you might find some of these links on youtube interesting

The Laurus Project and Breast Cancer autophagy and cell death

Chris Beats Cancer interviews Valter Longo

starving cancer cells. This is from 2015 when I was in treatment so I did do this plan during chemo and now do it in recovery but the kit wasn't available so I did straight water fasting which suckity sucked but I did it. Ow I do the FMD DIY version or the prolon kit

• jo6359
    edited February 2019
    Options

Meow13- I don't like absolutes . I don't like comments " people who don't choose chemo are all dead " Cancer is difficult enough to deal with without people constantly judging your decisions . I know people who have thrown everything including the kitchen sink at their cancer and died quickly and others who chose surgery but refused chemo who have lived very long and fruitful lives. Each person has to decide what is right for them and others need to respect those decisions. I personally was comfortable in choosing chemo and radiation due to my being Her2 positive . I tolerated both very well. Cancer is tough on many different levels.

• meow13
    edited February 2019
    Options

It just goes to show that the treatments that exist aren't good enough we need better medicine. Someone shouldn't have to compromise good health for surviving cancer. If the conventional treatments had a better track record I'd say ok but they don't. We are not here to blindly follow are oncologists directions. The decision is ours. As much as I was adverse to chemo, in my case, others feel strongly that chemo benefits them. Choice of treatment is critical. No one knows us like we do.

We all make a choice and we should not be criticised. Most BCO members really understand but there are a few that do not.

• BatyaD
    BatyaD Member Posts: 27
    edited February 2019
    Options

Glad to find this forum thread.

Lumpectomy and 2 nodes removed (clear margins, clean nodes), IDC, Stage 1, Grade 3, Triple Positive.

I'm waiting now to start radiation and Taxol/Herceptin. I want the Herceptin, but can't get it without the Taxol. Hate Big Pharma running the AMA.

Next week, before all that starts, I'm seeing an Integrative Medicine doctor who did his fellowship with Andrew Weil. I'm also seeing Dr. Wood, a naturopath who has an impressive resume. I've been "perfecting" my kitchen cupboards so much that when I wanted to act-out yesterday, the worst I could do was an extra organic ice-cream sandwich and a few extra organic super-grain tortilla chips!

Very interested in hearing everyone's stories about the natural/integrative route of healing.

• Enerva
    edited February 2019
    Options

exercise guru, thanks a lot for sharing the information.

I will look into it, I never heard about it before regarding the fasting protocol.

I also agree with everyone here, we should be able to make our decisions with no judgment

Sending you all hugs

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181
    edited February 2019
    Options

MMS = vitd3 and humic and fulvic acid. Here are the product details for fulvic acid. Hmmm maybe it’s the testerone that chases the cancer away!

Boosts and Supports the Immune System!

May Help Boost Natural Testosterone Levels in Men!

Contains Fulvic Acid and Trace Minerals, such as Magnesium, Potassium, Calcium and Selenium!

Provides Free Radical Support with Antioxidants!

Reduces Inflammation and Can Ease Joint Pain!

• Enerva
    edited March 2019
    Options

hi all just wanted to let you know MMS is working for me again. So far no pain in almost 10 days now.

I am honestly thankful, I had a lot of pain and kidney issue. It seems to be clearing it up. My creatine was 200 and in a week down to 185

I will have another blood test next week to check again.

Hoping you all have a good weekend

• jo6359
    edited March 2019
    Options

enerva-so glad you are getting relief with mms.

• Enerva
    edited March 2019
    Options

hi all

Just an update, this week I had a good news my creatine level went down.

I am now doing a lot of carrot juice with celery as the only green in the juice. I am only eating steamed vegetables avoiding the ones that give gass lol and salads specialy kale sale seems to be best for me. So far so good. I will see a nephrology dr tomorrow to find out more about the kidneys I want to figure out what is the damage in my left kidney.

Other than that I am ok minimal pain and that is so great at least

Hope you are all better

🤗🤗🤗🤗

• jo6359
    edited March 2019
    Options

Enerva- congratulations on getting your creatinine level lower. How fortunate for you that you've been able to manage your kidney pain. That's great news. I love fresh vegetables but I've never been a fan of vegetable smoothies. I ate a half a head of steam cabbage yesterday evening. Fortunately I live alone because I had horrible gas. LOL I hope your lifestyle choices continue to provide you with benefits.

• Enerva
    edited March 2019
    Options

jo6359 thanks for checking in. I also dont like the smoothies lol what I do is juice with a juicer so I put in it carrots at least 5 then celery , cucumber, 1 orange or an apple + ginger. The rule I read is 3 greens and 1 fruit. But I use what I have in my fridge. I must tell you I hate my new life plant base food is boring specially if I am not able to add spices , salt or sugar lol but I have managed to do it for 3 weeks now and I think that is what is helping me with the creatine.

Today my oncologist asked me." So what are we doing about your tumors?" I looked at her and said " we monitor them, so far they are no bothering me ,so let's do a ct to make sure they are stable?" BtW she is no happy but she stopped insisting now. I am done with the conventional drugs. I just want her to do scan to make sure my c doesn't go somewhere else.

Tomorrow I see a nephrology dr. To determine the kidney damage

Hope you all have a good night

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited March 2019
    Options

The topic of conventional treatments vs non-conventional is a constant contentious debate but IMO it doesn’t have to be. Both sides could argue their side and be right but BC isn’t a one size, fits all disease. The thing is you don’t have to defend your position - it’s your body, your life and your call.

All we have to go on is stats. I can tell you with absolute certainty Meow my medical team would have done a full court press to convince me to do chemo just as yours did to you if I had had that Oncotype score. Actually before I had the test done my BS said I would get chemo because I had a micromet in my SN. Not his call. My MO ordered the test. I had a low score of 11 so I dodged chemo. What really irked me was when I said I didn’t want to do chemo he said no one would hold a gun to my head. Wow how sensitive. Not.

I applaud you and others who just say NO. That takes courage because I know how difficult it is to dare to disagree with our doctors. However, the days when they have the last word are history. We have become more outspoken and are now our own advocates. We rely on their expertise but not control of our decision making. Good for us. Some doctors armed with their massive egos take exception to any non-medical person even if it’s a patient usurping their authority. I had to question my MO about taking Arimidex which she prescribedbecause it attacks the bones and I already had osteopenia Duh.

The only thing I ever say to either proponent is just be sure and don’t second guess yourself or wonder what if...

Diane

• meow13
    edited March 2019
    Options

Well I can tell you this when I looked at the data and explained why I was unconvinced my doctor understood my assessment, I am a mathematician.

• WC3
    edited April 2019
    Options

I'm not really sure where to post this. I think it might be in violation of the rules of the Alternative Medicine forum so I will post it here. I have just learned that a woman I know of who had been diagnosed with early stage breast cancer and who had initially rejected all conventional treatment has seen her cancer progress over the course of three years to stage 4.

No judgement passed on her, but I want recently diagnosed people who are considering going the same route to realize that you are in a desperate fight for your life and, now is not the time to put your faith in non evidence based ideas. Cancer is not a "gentle storm" like hypothyroidism (which I also have). It's an unforgiving tsunami and it will overpower you and take you out. Most people who choose to back float instead of jump in to boats or climb to higher ground won't make it, and if you did, you would be the exception.

I know, you probably feel healthy when you are diagnosed and might think the chemotherapy and surgery and so on seems like harsh things to do to your body all over a little lump, and I understand. It is harsh. I am still recovering from the chemotherapy, but the cancer has claimed your turf and will do worse things to it.

• meow13
    edited April 2019
    Options

I must be an exception? I don't think there is a right or wrong way to go. If there was a clear choice then the success rate would be much higher. But I do agree thinking that exercising and changing your diet will replace treatment is not a sound idea. But "throwing" the kitchen sink at it may also back fire.

• pebblesv
    pebblesv Member Posts: 486
    edited April 2019
    Options

Meow I agree with you, there’s no right or wrong and I’ve seen people cured and people with recurrences no matter what path they chose.

WC3 - I’m so sorry to hear about your friend. I have also known people who did everything, including chemo, and the cancer progressed anyways in a few years. So I hope your friend is not weighed down by regrets and instead can have strength to face this head on and make the best decisions she can now.

To ‘thejanedoe’ who wants to know of people who have succeeded with the holistic route, I can think of two others. My friend’s aunt had a stage 1 lump in her breast, didn’t even do surgery, revamped her lifestyle and 5 years later she is thriving and cancer free. And there’s a lady named Theresa Dinallo that you can google who was in the news for foregoing a traditional route and is still healthy today.

I really agree with Meow that there’s no right or wrong decision, we all personally have to make the best decisions we can with what we know at the time and move forward. I have a lot of respect for those who have been able to bear through chemo, and a lot of respect for those who have had the strength to blaze their own alternative trail. I’ve seen success on both sides and recurrences on both sides, but I choose to focus on the successes and be positive in this fight

• WC3
    edited April 2019
    Options

Meow13:

You did the most curative thing, which is surgery, and you also did anti hormone therapy for a few years, correct? I don't recall your cancer details or your personal details but the odds of 10 year survival for a 50 year old, post menopausal woman with grade 3, ER+, HER2- and node negative breast cancer, who only has surgery, only drops below 50% once the size of the tumor at diagnosis/start of treatment exceeds about 9cm. If you add 3 positive nodes then the 10 year odds of survival with surgery alone drops below 50% once tumor size exceeds 2.5cm.

The person I am speaking of did not have surgery.