Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Traveling After Stage IV - Questions, Concerns and Conversation

Options
Parrynd1
Parrynd1 Member Posts: 343

Hello Everyone,

Seeing so many inspiring ladies getting out their and kicking butt seeing the world I’m left in an amazed stupid. How do you do it!? Going anywhere after my stage 4 dx has been tricky with infusions, scans, doctor appointments, SE’s, medications and other limitations brought on by this disease. We never know when a new treatment will be thrown in or how it will affect me in terms of side effects, let alone the schedule - 2 weeks on 1 week off, every other week, or a combo of the 2! This makes it hard to not only get out there and live life, but scary to leave the comfort of my emergency room and the little pharmacy I have in my house (not really but it feels like it). I haven’t found a good place to talk about how anyone has made their travel plans? I’m hoping to plan a honeymoon this year, but feel scared and overwhelmed. So, there are questions and general conversation I would love to hear and share with you all. If there is a post on this already I apologize, but over 200 posts mention something about travel in non-specific forums and was overwhelming for me to sort through. I hope this could maybe help someone else in the same spot.
• Where did you go?
• How do you plan your travel (how far in advance, duration, special needs, ect)?
• Best or worst places you’ve been?
• Where their any issues? What did you do?
• Cancellation policies and travel insurance!?
• Just insurance while traveling in general...how did you figure it out?
• Do you plan around emergency services for where you are going?
• Tips, tricks and advice?
• Do & don’t do advice?
• What are your favorite places to visit and why?
• Pictures...let’s share :)
• Lastly, how has your stage 4 diagnosis changed this aspect of your life?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• KatyK
    KatyK Member Posts: 206
    Options

Parrynd1, what a great question! Or questions! I was diagnosed about 18 months ago and take Ibrance/ letrozole and three month infusion (zometa) and scans every three months. I am currently stable. I have a planner for the year and I plan out when I will have doctor appointments, scans, start/stop Ibrance etc. Then I plan travel around those dates. Since my diagnosis my DH and I have been on numerous trips to nearby states and a couple of backpack trips. We bought a camping van when I was diagnosed because we have always loved camping and exploring the outdoors and this has made it easier. We have an international trip coming up this spring and two trips across country to see family. We do buy trip insurance. I have not been concerned about medical services where I go as I’m stable. It can be tricky with the Ibrance - getting the prescription when you need it to travel. So far it has worked out and the pharmacy can refill it a few days early. I am viligant with my meds when traveling, you just can’t lose them. If you are nervous about travel maybe start with some place familiar and not too far away. Many women here on these posts continue to travel and you can too!

• sadiesservant
    sadiesservant Member Posts: 1,875
    Options

Great post Parrynd1.

Like you, I am in awe of those who manage significant travel with stage IV but threw caution to the wind last year with a big (and expensive) British Isles Cruise. It does depend a lot on your treatment. I’m on Faslodex so was able to plan around my injections. I do know one lady who took the Faslodex with her to New Zealand and found someone there who could do it! I have also heard other ladies say that they spoke to their MO about a break. Unless things are really running amok most MOs would be pleased to give you some time for a trip. They know how important it is for us to squeeze the life out of each day.

I have to say, I did experience some challenges. I found prepaying very stressful as, at that point, I had been a bit up and down in terms of symptoms. I don’t know about the US but here it is impossible to get trip cancellation insurance for anything pre-existing. The thoughts of waving goodbye to all the money I sunk into that trip...yikes! After that experience I decided that I will focus more on spontaneous trips, things I can do at a moments notice when I’m feeling well.

The second challenge was a bit more impactful. Unfortunately, at the end of the trip I caught the bug that was making the rounds on the ship and bam, ended up with pneumonia. I felt god awful flying home and was flat on my back for a week. It took my five weeks to fully recover. At 56 this was unexpected. I suspect that I am susceptible with a compromised right lung which still has pockets of fluid in it. And apparently once you have had pneumonia you are at high risk of getting it again. This is a big worry for me going forward as it’s just not worth it to me to be that sick after a couple of weeks of travel. Not sure how to work around this.

I’m sure others will chime in. I’ll be interested to hear their tips.

• sandibeach57
    sandibeach57 Member Posts: 1,387
    Options

My DH and I camped in our teardrop RV across the country this past summer. I have bone and CT scans every 3 months. We planned our trip between the scans.

I had my monthly labs drawn at local hospitals (outpatient lab services). Results were faxed to my MO and were then reported to me by RN via phone.

My Ibrance was delivered just fine..just need to alert Pfizer and have a deliverable address of where you are staying. I requested signatures.

I also took my latest MO clinic notes, labs and scan results.

We planned with the knowledge that we might have to cancel at last minute or during trip. I packed my walker/ rollator (if needed) and my blood pressure cuff and pulse oximeter.

Happy Travels and Happy New Year 2019.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,747
    Options

Hi parry and happy New Year. First, I want to say that we are all very different in terms of our physical ability to travel. Not every stage IV is out conquering the world!

Talk to your mo about your desire to travel so you can find out what accommodations can be made in terms of your tx Start small; A long weekend perhaps? In the US you can get travel insurance that covers pre-existing conditions. I have used a Travel Guard in the past.

Wherever you go, plan to take it easy and build some rest time into each day. If you feel up to it, you can always add more activities. I don’t know what your immediate medical needs may be, but I wasn’t too concerned about knowing where hospitals and doctors were. I had gotten cleared to travel by my mo, so I just worked on the premise that any medical emergencies that might crop up would be handled like a medical emergency that anyone could have when traveling.

I have traveled quite a bit since my stage IV dx, both domestically and internationally. Happy to answer any questions you might have!

• nbnotes
    nbnotes Member Posts: 338
    Options

I have traveled a lot since being stage 4. My MO is happy to work with me to allow travel. Just did a trip to south africa and some safaris. We planned for me to take my xeloda for 11 days on/ 10 days off rather than the normal 7 on / 7 off so that I would not be actively taking the meds out of country. It is a little easier on the pills vs infusions, but I have found having a trip to plan for helps me a lot. I always take out insurance that covers pre-existing conditions. Insuremytrip.com allows you to view a variety of plans to get what you want. My MO always makes sure that I have an antibiotic to take with me, and I bring a large variety of if needed medicines.

• Parrynd1
    Options

KatyK I also love camping! We go every year with family and were worried this year as it was soon after my craniotomy. The camper sounds like a great idea if we had space for one, although I’ve heard you can rent them...might have to look into it

Sadiessevent the fear about wasting money is one I struggle with even on a normal expense, haha. That’s why a trip or vacation is overwhelming. I guess it will be easier once I can get to a stable place, but I worry after being stage 4 for a year I haven’t been able to find anything that is really working. There is a chance I won’t find that magic drug and I don’t want to waste more time. Getting sick is also a big concer as I had an pneumonia and was hospitalized last year for it...now with the lung mets I’m sure it would go over any smoother! My MO seems to be very encouraging of me to travel, but even then We changed my treatment last week and took me off one, scheduled another for the following week and then threw in a big radiation treatment in between. I had only been on that previous treatment for a month and was hoping it would go smoothly till at least the weddings...grrr.

Sandi that’s great that you guys can get out like that. This travel trailer seems to be the key maybe? I guess it really depends on the treatment and working closely with your MO. There’s so much I want to do and see that sometimes I wonder if I’m using cancer as an excuse not to? Hmmm thoughts for another topic maybe.
  • Parrynd1
    Options

Exbrnxgrl Happy New Year :) I didn't think about mobility and your are right it is very different for each of us. There have been times where I haven't been about get up off the floor and currently can't drive due to vision loss..another big factor for this travel stress. In honor of those who can't I do want to do what I can while I can as I know that's not the case for everyone. I've alwasy been a go go go type of girl tiring out everyone else, haha. Building in rest time is very smart I've already made a note :) and I like how you think of the emergency part of it...sounds less stressful that way. I did go camping this year and go visit our parent 4 hours north but that's been about it. For the wedding we are flying to San Francisco to do an English style wedding and then on to Canada to do a traditional Indian wedding. I'm praying I have the energy and health to do it all! I just started a new treatment this week and will have another infusion next Monday right before jetting to the airport. Am I do this right!? Who knows but I'm getting out there at least is how I see it.

Where have you gone internationally? I'm looking for some good tips as I still want to plan our honeymoon.

Nbnotes great tip on the insurance I'll have to check it out. Look at your globe trotting Africa sounds so great. I'm glad you got to go! Someone I know was planning a safari and had to put down a 70k deposit in case they needed to be air lifted out safely (her husband has many health issues and they ultimately cancelled the trip) so I haven't even looked in to that. There is this place you can stay while on a safari (my information is lacking so sorry in advance) where giraffes will wander around freely and you can feed them. It sounds magical. Did you get to see any animals? What all do you do in Africa or on a safari? Did you need specific vaccines? Have you ever had a problem taking your meds with you? I'm nervous about having something illegal I don't know is illegal and the. I get very stressed about not knowing everything!

Thank you everyone for the great responses so far. Below is some pictures from that camping trip this year. Hope I can add to them with more travel.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,003
    Options

Parry, I agree with exbrnxgrl when she says start small. What state do you live in? You can begin taking a day trip close to where you live on a week you are off treatment. For example, we once traveled about 2 hours to visit and tour the former Ohio Reformatory where Shawshank Redemption was filmed. While there we also visited a glorious botanical garden in the area and had lunch. Such a great one-day trip.

So I suggest making a list of some places within an easy driveable distance that you'd like to visit. Then pick one, google some other points of interest around them or along the way if you want, and go, making a day of it. Then plan to go to another place on your list the following month when it is convenient for you. The more you do this, the more you will want to do it.

Then graduate to an overnight trip within an hour or two drive from where you live. You could rent a low cost cabin at a lake or hotel room near a point of interest you want to see. It doesn't need to be elaborate. So many people feel you must go hundreds of miles from home but it isnt necessary.

Do your best not to feel you are “wasting money" taking a few trips or a vacation. You don't have to break the bank, but it's okay to push yourself a little past your comfort zone spending wise. That's what I learned to do and I don't regret it. Plenty of people practice being thrifty while traveling, (I do!), and you can google it and get lots of ideas how to keep costs down while still getting away for a change of scenery. Look at it as an adventure! And a learning experience!

• pajim
    pajim Member Posts: 930
    Options

Parry, it sounds like you are on chemo chemo. Ladies on hormonals have a bit easier time of it. We're not tied to the cancer center more than once a month. I've been at this almost six years and I've been everywhere. I travel for work as well.

It's fun having something to plan and to look forward to. Sure, sometimes there are disasters and you can't go, but most of the time it'll all work out fine.

My MO is very supportive. If we needed to put off the Faslodex shots another week, sure! If I needed to stop the Xeloda a couple of extra days, sure thing. I took an extra week off Xeloda last year when I went to the Galapagos Islands (which were incredibly awesome). I've been slowed down once or twice (don't get me started on having to put my feet up in Copenhagen) but in general it's worked out fine.

My major tips are to buy travel insurance if you're committing a lot of money, or else plan to go/stay places you can cancel on two days notice if needed. My MO has told me that if he feels it's unsafe to go someplace he won't let me go. So I stopped worrying about it. [of course I start Halaven on Wednesday and I'm still planning to go to Cuba in March. He hasn't heard about that yet. . .]

The other thing you might think on is that if you go to a major cancer center, your MO likely has friends everywhere. I have the comfort that if I get into trouble someplace (even in Europe) I can call mine and he'll call a friend. Luckily it's never happened. I do travel with a small pharmacy (including antibiotics).

I like MrsM's suggestions to get started. go someplace for a long weekend. And don't plan too much of the days. Leave in some 'sitting watching the people go by' time.

What would you like to DO on your honeymoon? [besides the usual] Sit on the beach? See sights someplace interesting? Play golf?

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,572
    Options

I have H&P every 3 weeks, so I’m fairly free to travel. I schedule around my appointments if possible, otherwise I try to have them moved up or back a week. A recent trip to New Orleans was planned just a week or so before and after stable scans. Next month I’ve got a quick 5 day Bahamas cruise, which I should be good for. Planning more than 6 months ahead is more uncomfortable, things can change quickly, you never know. I just tell myself to go for it, I’ve been putting things off for too long!

• sadiesservant
    Options

Parry, with regards to a stable treatment, don’t give up hope. My first 18 months after diagnosis were a roller coaster. It was anticipated that I would do very well given the number of years between initial diagnosis and stage IV but I failed three treatments in succession and struggled with chest issues. Then came Faslodex. I’ve been on it for a year and feel awesome. You never know when things will fall into place.

In terms of locations, I was fortunate to have the opportunity to travel for work for several years and had the chance to see some great places including Asia, South America, Australia and Africa. I adored South Africa and would go again in a heart beat. Pam, the Galapagos is very high on my “to do” list so would love to hear more.

Pat

• JFL
    JFL Member Posts: 1,373
    Options

Parry, I have traveled a lot since mets diagnosis. The only time I turned down a trip was two months after diagnosis when my DH and his parents and my Dad went to Rome, the Vatican, Sicily and at least one other city to pray for me at various Saint locations relevant to my diagnosis. I am never one to turn down a trip to Europe (or anywhere else) but at that point, my bone mets were not healed enough - my hips/pelvis/tops of femurs were swiss cheese and, as I learned more recently, I had a few vertebrae fractures in my lumbar spine at that time. I was worried I wouldn't be able to do the walking required for the trips. However, since then, I travel as much as possible. I always plan in breaks throughout the day (which my DH actually appreciates too - traveling is tiring for everyone). I also buy trip insurance and sometimes medical insurance when traveling abroad. I have also had to work around various side effects such as hand foot syndrome on Xeloda and Doxil. I had to travel for work on Doxil when I was at a low point with huge blisters covering my feet. I had no choice but to wear business shoes. I actually mapped out my entire path in the airport to minimize the steps I had to take from the car to the gate and tried on tons of shoes to find something that was tolerable and comfortable yet looked appropriate. With Halaven, you can leave right after your day 8 (week 2) infusion, which would give you two weeks between treatments. You can also have a treatment a day early or a few days late if needed to work around the travel schedule.

As for locations, Italy is my favorite - Rome, specifically. However, my favorite overall trip was to Japan - flew into Tokyo and then took the bullet train to Kobe, Kyoto and Osaka. Exceeded my expectations beyond belief. I also love Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, Lisbon (and even moreso, Sintra which is a small town outside of Lisbon in the mountains where a castle is located - I could escape there forever, breathing in the mountain air surrounded by all of the green trees and eating the delicious food at the small, local restaurants on the hill in town).

Cruises are also a good option because you can go sight see and when you need a break, head back to the boat. Or, you can rest in the room or by the pool while your DH is doing something else on the boat, etc. So many options. No shlepping one's suitcases around to different cities. For my honeymoon, we flew to Rome and stayed a few days on each side and then took a cruise that went through various cities/islands in Italy, Greece and also went to Turkey (no longer do cruises go to Turkey though) - Sicily, Napoli/Capri, Mykonos, Athens, Santorini and Ephesus. I also recently took a cruise that departed out of Venice, Italy and traveled to various cities/islands in Greece, Croatia and Montenegro - Dubrovnik, Split, Kotor, Athens and Olympia. I flew into Milan and then took a train to Venice and spent a few days in each city and took the cruise. Amazing. I would HIGHLY recommend either of those routes. A Carribbean cruise is also a good option and can be more relaxing - you can spend time under a sun umbrella and not even walk much if you don't want to do so. I live in a similar tropical area with the beach a block away, but never feel I can just lounge around on the beach all day at home. When it is planned as part of the trip, no guilt associated with doing little to nothing. Also, cruises do have a doctor on board who can assist with various mild to moderate issues you may have. Someone I know recently saw the cruise doctor to get a prescription for a UTI.

Good luck deciding where to go and what to do!!!

• exbrnxgrl
    Options

Parry,

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! Since my dx I have traveled to Australia, New Zealand, Mexico and Canada. I loved them all. What kind of honeymoon were you thinking of? I’m a former Peace Corps volunteer as well as a former Pan Am flight attendant so I’ve traveled quite a bit over the years.

• Parrynd1
    Options

Divine we did plan on doing small trips to see some state architecture and other things of interest we have. I guess being within California it’s not too scary. Sounds like you have gotten to take some wonderful trips :)

Pajim my MO did say this was now chemo chemo yes so I will be losing the hair, but I’m not so worried about that so long as this treatment works! I just started Halaven too so we r almost on the same track. Good tip about ‘friends’ as I’m sure my MO could give good tips on who to see if we are out of state...I honestly never thought to ask. Copenhagen sounds like a big fun trip! I really want to see more of other countries and cultures. With my history of treatment and cancer so far has instilled this insecurity I guess. So many ER trips and hospital stays. I think once we get on a treatment that works it will be less stressful I just want to be there already. I’m tired of progressing and nothing working and not planning big trips.
    What are your plans in Cuba? Sounds so fun. I want to go everywhere so I’m hoping to get some good ideas here :)
  • pajim
    Options

Pat, South Africa is supposed to be great and is on my list so I'd love to hear about that! I have a friend in Durban. I'll PM you. Also on my list are Turkey and a cruise of the Nile. Can't do the last one for security reasons but if Halaven treats me kindly I'm thinking of Turkey for September. I have friends who would like to go so we could get a private tour.

Parry, you could consider a European river cruise? Look at Viking River Cruises and see if something catches your eye. You'd get the other cultures and the ease of not having to pack. Or a cruise of the North Sea? That would give you Scandinavia and St. Petersburg. They speak English in Scandinavia (not so much in St. Petersburg). St. Petersburg is, however, one of the worlds cool places. The only thing about a cruise is you often can't do your own thing. But you could also pick a spot and take the trains out for day trips. Copenhagen or Amsterdam might be a good starting point. If you want to go all out the three most interesting places I've been are Thailand, Russia and Hong Kong/China. They may not fit your budget. Low budget/other cultures try Montreal! Or even easier -- have you done the coast drive through the Big Sur? You could splurge on a night at one of the really fancy hotels in the middle of the park.

exbrnxgrl, Pan Am flight attendant? Really? I remember Pan Am. (Doesn't help that my name is Pam). We used to fly them from Hong Kong to the US all the time.

• vlnrph
    vlnrph Member Posts: 487
    Options

Our anticipated anniversary trip to Nova Scotia last summer was postponed when I was hospitalized right after being diagnosed with metastatic disease. Luckily there were no reservations made that we had to cancel. The following three months were nothing but clinic visits, radiation, labs, physical therapy: most of you can relate.

Once December rolled around and colder weather set in, we began to think about going to Florida. Our health insurance is good anywhere in the US so we are flying nonstop to the gulf coast, paying a little extra for early boarding. I'm a bit worried about getting Verzenio diarrhea at the airport or on the plane but will have Imodium on hand. This trip had to be scheduled between infusions/injections. Also, I wanted to go and return prior to my first follow-up scans to see whether the treatment is working. If we need to change something, all bets are off.

I hope to have a good long time on this regimen. Then it would feel more comfortable to attempt foreign travel. The river cruise idea is especially attractive. Five years ago we went to Scotland and England on a tour, arriving a few days early and extending the stay at our London hotel by the same amount. Very enjoyable.

• Parrynd1
    Options

I had a whole thing typed replying to everyone but after submitted it errors out. Grrrr. I think a tour company would be easiest to use. I’d love to visit around Europe, Japan, some of the tropical islands (for the honeymoon I picture relaxation and beaches and pina coladas!). Travel insurance seems to be a common theme. Any good companies that you recommend? Someone mentioned a drive up the west coast...I’ve been wanting to do the redwoods for a few years now. Such a magical place and my fiancé has never been. Has anyone has issues taking their meds with them? I think I will leave my CBD oil at home and not risk it.
  • exbrnxgrl
    Options

California is a completely legal state. You should be able to find a dispensary easily once you enter the state and make your purchases when you get here. weedmaps is a web site that can help you find a dispensary in whatever town you’re in

• Parrynd1
    Options

Recently I looked in to this and if you are driving you are ok. Flying, however, is very risky because TSA is federally regulated. It could be delegated to local cops or not. Not sure about other countries, but either way the US airport is a risk to take CBD with from what ive read. I have a card, but I’m not sure if that changes anything federally

• JFL
    JFL Member Posts: 1,373
    Options

Parry, with respect to my prescription meds (normal prescriptions), I make sure to have the prescription itself with me (usually via taking a photo) so that if there were ever an issue, I have it on hand, especially for international travel. I usually don't bring entire pill bottles and put my meds and vitamins in Ziploc bags. Interesting how each country is concerned about different items - in England, melatonin is illegal but codeine/paracetamol is sold over-the-counter. Every country has its own rules. When I was studying in England, the pharmacist nearly fell off her chair when I asked where I could find the melatonin.

• sadiesservant
    Options

Another option is train travel. My interest has been piqued by a cross Canada high end rail trip which allows for a connection to a New England rail tour. I love train travel. So relaxing, particularly if they have good service and you get to see the countryside rather than highways. The Blue Train in Africa was another of my dreams but that one requires a lottery win!

Pam, South Africa is simply fabulous. I’ve been numerous times and have always adored it. Thanks for the PM. I’ll send more details.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,003
    Options

Parry, sounds like living in CA gives you lots opportunities for local travel. Like to the Redwoods! Day trips and over-nighters are great to get around to local places that you haven't yet visited. Too many people never take time to see sights closer to their home. You'll ask someone about a point of interest near where they live and they'll say, “Oh, I've never been there." Dh and I seek out these places now. We live an hour from Pittsburgh which has many POIs that we've checked out. This month, to celebrate the January birthdays of Dh and Ds, we have first time dinner reservations at an upscale restaurant in Mt. Washington with sweeping views of the Pittsburgh skyline and confluence of the 3 rivers below (known as “The Point”). A bit pricey, but we are going dutch treat with ds and his girlfriend.

We seek out and have taken plenty of day trips around Ohio and WV, too. For future adventures, I have what I call a “Wander List.".........

You can even visit farther away places without having to be gone too long, just to get the feel for it. When I wanted to see the the Grand Canyon, I researched the simplest, most cost effective way to do that, which was to fly in to Vegas and take a day trip to the Canyon. So in a 5 day trip, we took in some sights and shows of Vegas, and a small, personalized group tour with a guide to Grand Canyon for a day and even another small guided day tour to Hoover Dam.

Sadie, I've always wanted to take a train trip. Dh and I visited a restored train depot about an hour from home and it was so insightful!

• Nel
    Nel Member Posts: 597
    Options

Parry,

I have been MBC for 5+ years. Bermuda, California, the Outer Banks, Spain and going to the Azores in February.  My onc has always been willing to shift, within a week or so any treatments.  It did take me a bit to figure out the time change and when to take the xeloda when in Spain - but I did get it.  I plan my days and activities very differently than before MBC, but that is OK as well.   It has been great for my mental health to have something to look forward to and to have the memories with my kids.  The trip tot he Azores will be the first vacation I have taken without my kids, since I had kids, 25+ years.  Love my kids but so looking forward to.  I have a lsit of places I would like to see and try to think about my priorities, $ andhealth issues when planning   But it can be done.  Small steps at first.

Nel

• sherry35
    sherry35 Member Posts: 155
    Options

What a great topic! My fiancé and I are planning a trip to Alabama in February but I've been putting off even looking at details since my Dx in October.

I love the idea of a couple overnight trips before then. Can any of my Canadian sisters tell me about insurance for pre existing conditions?

I really hope I'm feeling up to going! You all give me such inspiration!

Happy New Year to all of you.

Cheers,

Sherry

• sadiesservant
    Options

Hi Sherry,

With regards to insurance, I found that trip cancellation insurance was a non-starter. It's fine for cancellation due to other causes (i.e. unrelated illness) but would not cover anything MBC related. I suspect that it would be a tough slog to get them to accept any illness as they would likely argue that it was related to our disease. However, I was able to arrange for good coverage of health insurance through the BC Automobile Association. I would have to look back to see who the underwriter was. It wasn't that expensive and I believe would have been enough to patch me up and send me home. I honestly think that's sufficient as, in the case of MBC folks don't typically seem to suddenly become ill to the point of hospitalization. It certainly can happen but usually we have worsening symptoms that tell us something is up. The important thing is not to push your luck. If in doubt... go home.

Pat

• nkb
    nkb Member Posts: 1,561
    Options

I have traveled since MBC also- But, am on orals and Faslodex is monthly. I sometimes have to shift the dates a little, get a "vacation override" for the meds. I have not done lab or gotten an injection elsewhere. I do worry a bit about something happening, but, want to continue to travel if possible.

I just got back from Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos for 3 weeks. It does seem easier to be gone less than a month to avoid med and lab delays. I get mostly evacuation insurance - so I can get home or to a place that has good medical care. The cancellation insurance on an expensive trip is quite pricey, but, the evacuation is not. I did get a bit panicky while riding an elephant bareback at a sanctuary in Laos-that if I fell off all of my bones would break. but, luckily it didn't happen. I take some antibiotics with me and do extremely careful hand washing, hand gel, careful eating.

Early in my MBC diagnosis I had a really nice trip to Paris- we just stayed in the same place for 9 days instead of our usual packing in several cities in one trip- and it was quite lovely- I was afraid that I would get tired or sick, so wanted to stay in the same place.

I love Italy also and you can travel easily by train. Enjoy!

• Partyoffive
    Partyoffive Member Posts: 53
    Options

hi

After 51/2 years I may dealing with my first progression but my question is about air travel-my kids shows their horses in Florida in feb and March and we fly back and forth most weekends-is it ok to fly if you are on chemo?

Kristin

• LoveFromPhilly
    LoveFromPhilly Member Posts: 1,019
    Options

greetings from Jamaica!! 🇯🇲

I started traveling right away once I was diagnosed. For me, what was important was to go places where my friends are - who I know are supportive. I am very very lucky that I have friends who live on many different Caribbean islands. So this makes it very comfortable for me.

I ALWAYS organize my pills/meds/supplements into daily regimens using these little teeny plastic ziplock pill bags that they sell at pharmacy stores. I label them by the day and bring a couple extra days with me just in case of flight delays or any issues.

I also bring a bottle of full spectrum antibiotics (thanks to my MO) in case any infections occur.

I buy travelers insurance through the airlines (offered at check out) and so far haven’t had to use it - but it is nice to know it’s there just in case.

For me, traveling is a MUST. I go between appointments (monthly MO appointments) and sometimes we can extend the appointment by a week if necessary and don’t feel stressed out about it. If I don’t travel I start to feel depressed and anxious. I need to be by the sea, or in forests or on mountains to feel inner calm. And I live right smack in the middle of a huge city - and I would lose my mind if I didn’t get breaks from it.

Here are a couple pics from the beach yesterday - I am in my happy place!!!!

Love,

Philly

• pajim
    Options

Woo hoo the beach!! The only time I've not had a virus in the last month was at the beach. I think I should go back there. . .

Partyoffive, yes absolutely you can fly, etc. on chemo. My advice is to buy a packet of wet ones. When you get into the plane seat, wipe everything down. Seat belt, tray table, arm rests, etc. And wash your hands. Otherwise, have a great time.

• sherry35
    sherry35 Member Posts: 155
    Options

Thanks to you ladies and this thread I've built up the courage to try a weekend away before our planned trip in February. We are going to a spa retreat this weekend! I can't wait for a large jetted tub! My fiancé is getting a massage and I'm going to do a major hair change!

It's been a while since I looked forward to anything outside of my daily life and can't thank you all enough for the suggestions and inspiration!