Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Gemzar

Options
1235»

Comments

• LoveFromPhilly
    LoveFromPhilly Member Posts: 1,019
    edited August 2021
    Options

Wanderingneedle hi!

how are you doing after first dose? Also what is aloxi? I get ativan and decadron prior to the Gemzar. The ativan calms me down cause the steroid speeds me up!

The whole process can sometimes take 3 hours for me so far. It is just a day I have to plan nothing else around. It is my job now.

Here is to hoping you are doing okay on the Gemzar! please keep up posted!

• LoveFromPhilly
    edited August 2021
    Options

How are folks doing out there on the Gemzar?

I had 4th infusion on Wednesday. Today was really hard because I had to pack up a shore house and move everything back to the city with my somewhat elderly parents in 99 degree weather. It was nuts. I am so fried. Like, let's discuss the things you probably shouldn't be doing while on chemo and anemic and blah blah blah hahahaha.

So I am now enjoying some MMJ and finally kicking back. The chemo is so crazy!

Last week I developed an infection and was on two antibiotics for a week. It felt like it was in my upper chest. With a high fever.

Anyone experiencing and chest pain or cough? I have liver mets, so that could be causing all types of weird shit to be happening.

Signing off from Gemzar land, the land of the bizarre and weird feeling!

Love,

Philly

• Shadow1425
    Shadow1425 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2021
    Options

Hi, I started Gemstar and Carboplatin on Thursday. Just diagnosed with Triple negative Breast cancer after 12 years from first diagnosis. They gave me a steroid and anti-nausea medicine first. So far so good, just some periods of energy and then I need a rest. Hope the next couple of days go the same.

Does anyone know if these two chemo are normal for first time chemo regimen for triple negative metastatic breast cancer?Have Mets in lymph node in the neck and bone Mets in the pelvis,femur and hip.

• LoveFromPhilly
    edited August 2021
    Options

Shadow1425 hello!

glad to hear you are doing well so far on your first chemo infusion! I am not triple positive so I cannot speak to your situation, but I am sure someone else here can. I do have a friend with +++ and who was also on the G/C combo. They did lose their hair a little bit and also I know felt frustated with the level of fatigue they experienced. However, we are each so different and affected so differently from our treatments. I am sending love and optimism that you continue to feel well on this treatment and that it works to get those cancer boogers out or go to sleep or whatever it is to make you feel well!

Big hugs!

Philly

• gr4c1e
    gr4c1e Member Posts: 124
    edited September 2021
    Options

Sorry to fall off the radar, but I struggled with whether to give an update because, for me, Gemzar has failed miserably. Two months into treatment, my breathing capacity has plummeted while my tumor markers are rising. I've also been struggling with my (now previous) MO and his office staff. I finally was able to get out from under when the Gemzar ran off the rails. I have new MO and I start back on Abraxane this week. The good news is, I really like my new MO. All of his five star reviews online were absolutely true, and his staff are all compassionate and kind.

Good luck to everyone! Sending good vibes your way.

• M3llon
    M3llon Member Posts: 13
    edited September 2021
    Options

Started my third cycle of gemzar/carboplatin today. My MO is concerned that the treatment is not working because my tumor markers are rising. I’ll get scans after I finish this cycle. Very frustrated. This is my fourth treatment to fail this year.

Trying not to get ahead of myself and live in the moment.

• gr4c1e
    edited September 2021
    Options

Sorry to hear that, M3llon. I had the same experience. My tumor markers started at 19 and jumped to 31 in a two month span. I just had a CT yesterday. I'm waiting to find out what it looks like compared to the CT from April. Keeping my fingers crossed for both of us!

• M3llon
    M3llon Member Posts: 13
    edited September 2021
    Options

GR4CIE Will be think of you. Treatment fails are the worst. I hope the tumor markers are wrong.

My next step will be MD Anderson for a clinical trial, which feels like a hail Mary.

M.E

• gr4c1e
    edited September 2021
    Options

I actually chose my new MO based on his education, location and hospital affiliations. Big plus was that he's very highly rated online. A lot of his patients gave him high marks and a lot of praise and gratitude. The big draw was that he has a fellowship with Cooper University hospital which has merged with MD Anderson. I guess I don't have to tell you that MD Anderson is highly regarded when it comes to treating rare and hard to treat cancers.

I think you and I are headed in the right direction.Hug Sending hugs!

• LoveFromPhilly
    edited September 2021
    Options

GR4C1E and M3llon

no pressure at all to keep replying. It looks like we may nin need of a new thread since Gemzar hasn't worked for me either.

I had WBR ten sessions and start Abraxane and carboplatin today.

I am nervous.

Love
    Philly

• LindaSueH
    LindaSueH Member Posts: 14
    edited December 2021
    Options

I have been on the Gemzar/Carbo combo every other week for 8 treatments so far. It has been the only thing that has lowered my tumor markers. But last week the markers went up again. So now we wait until next weeks treatment to see what they do. If they go up, either the cancer is growing or it has become resistant to the chemo. None of the oral meds have worked for me. This stupid cancer hates me I think! I also have a low grade fever after treatment, and the shortness of breath is terrible. And then there is sleep (what is that???)!!!! Prayers for all of us going thru this nightmare. I really don't want to have any treatments after next week until the Holidays are over, I just don't have any energy and laying aroung all day doesn't bode well for me!!!

Love and hugs to all,

Linda

• Casun19
    Casun19 Member Posts: 77
    edited January 2022
    Options

Hi Ladies, looking for some advice or information. I recently started Gemzar as a mono therapy after failing Carboplatin (mono therapy) miserably :(

I am supposed to go in every Monday for 3 weeks and then have one week off. But the first week was such a doozy they postponed treatment for a week and reduced my dose by 25%. I had the reduced dose last Monday and it was “better" however, I am sleeping all the time, barely get out of bed all week due to pain and fatigue. I have fevers all week, and the Gemzar rash etc. the list goes on. (I have notified my care team/ doctors office).

has anyone had multiple dose reductions? Or scheduling changes that helped?

The nurses and doctors keep saying, this is a very tolerable treatment. Minimal side effects. People do very well!…I am just wondering if my expectations are too high?..Am I being unrealistic to be upset. Is this my new normal

It's frustrating to be completely down for a week. Only to go in and get another infusion on Monday that wipes away the next week.

• sbaaronson
    sbaaronson Member Posts: 121
    edited April 2022
    Options

Round one of single agent Gemzar tomorrow. Burned through all the oral options in just under 4 years. Bone only disease. Just had a lovely weekend vacation with my kids, hoping that joy helps carry me through. Sounds like I am in for a change of lifestyle… Gearing up for it.

Stacey

• Rosie24
    Rosie24 Member Posts: 1,026
    edited April 2022
    Options

Stacey, You did pretty well to get 4 years on oral meds, I only got 3 years then my ER+ flipped to ER- which meant infusion chemo. I've had 2 treatments of Gem plus Carbo and have been pleasantly surprised at my lack of symptoms. Best of luck to you!

Casun, Sorry I missed your post until today. At my first infusion in early April, the nurse remarked that she's never seen a dose as low as mine of Gemzar. Apparently my MO is tweaking the dose and that of Carbo, and I get Carbo for both weeks. I've felt pretty decent for both infusion weeks. My main issue is head fogginess and lack of energy after the steroid wears off on days 4-6. I know that one of the drugs is dosed based on creatinine levels, and mine was in the low end of normal. So my dosage is definitely low. I hope by now you've been able to get a tolerable dose. Please let us know how you're doing when you have a chance.

• lulubee
    lulubee Member Posts: 903
    edited April 2022
    Options

Rosie, yes to the awful steroid crash on days 4-6. Day 5 here and I am struggling to accomplish even the easiest tasks. Just. So. Tired.

I so wish they would come up with an alternative to the dreaded Dexamethadeath. I know it does several things that are supposed to be helpful with chemo but every dang time it feels like making a deal with the devil.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited June 2022
    Options

I've had doses of cisplatin & finally gemcitabine + cisplatin last week. My platelets have crashed low so I think tomorrow again I'll be cisplatin only.

Has anyone dealt successfully with platelets with the gemcitabine?

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited July 2022
    Options

Hello everyone. I'm posting this on moth's recent forums.

Moth announced on Twitter that she posted a detailed update on her Tumblr blog (in her signature). Unlike IG, you don't need an account to read it. Essentially, she's still hoping the treatment will work, but her liver is a big problem.

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/view/nevertellmetheodds2017/690346753584676864?source=share

• mera
    mera Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2022
    Options

Hi,

How long does it take for Gemzar to start working?

Mer

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,944
    edited August 2022
    Options

Hi mera, I'm glad you found us. Chemotherapy drugs are systemic and can therefore attack cancer cells quickly. We wish quick, and successful results with this treatment for you!!

We're here, so reach it out any time! Medicating

• mera
    edited August 2022
    Options

Hi,

My sis received the 2nd dose of gemzar 4 days ago (breast cancer mets on liver and bones). Although she started to feel better (no nausea, increased energy, better apetite, no pain in some body parts where she used to hav) but since 2 days she is having back pain. Does this mean that the treatment isn't working?

Thank you!

M

• karpc
    karpc Member Posts: 192
    edited August 2022
    Options

M - hopefully it means it’s working but it may be too early to tell.

• piksie
    piksie Member Posts: 132
    edited August 2022
    Options

M - hopefully scans and blood work will give you a clear picture.

I've had six infusions of Gemzar and Carboplatin, and it has been extremely effective for me. Lymphangitic Carcinomatosis and mysterious lung infections landed me in the ICU for the month of April after Eribulin and Xeloda failed. At the time of discharge to Hospice, it appeared that chemo was not going to be effective; however, after a long weekend, I was feeling much better and asked to continue treatment. MO breathed a sigh of relief, and I've been improving since then. I believe the concoction is quite effective against a PALB2 mutation. My CA 153 has gone from 1,100 in April to 34 at my last infusion on 15 Aug. My hair is growing back after Eribulin, and my blood work was holding kind of steady until two weeks ago. I will now self-inject Zarxio on days 2-4 for neutropenia, and I'm anemic, but feeling very, very fortunate in the grand scheme. Enough that, when I came off Hospice, I took my teenage boys on an Alaskan cruise. And I got us a room on my "Celebration of Life" cruise that my family planned for November when I wasn't expected to make it.

Every day is a gift…

• mera
    edited September 2022
    Options

Hi,

Anybody noticed highe heart rate while on Gemzar?

Thanks in advance!

• piksie
    piksie Member Posts: 132
    edited September 2022
    Options

Hi Mera. I had tachycardia through Faslodex, Xeloda, and Eribulin; however, now that I take Gemzar and Carboplatin, I'm back within normal range.

• carmstr835
    carmstr835 Member Posts: 147
    edited October 2022
    Options

Hi, it has been a while since I have posted, I am very happy to find a thread dedicated to gemcitabine/gemzar. I have high hopes for this drug.

My stage 4 (to my lungs) was diagnosed in March 2022. I had surgery, and all cancer was removed, there were 3 tumors in left lobe and 2 in the right lobe, 2 positive lymph nodes removed. They removed 20% of my lung. I was on Navelbine from April- August. I had 2 ct scan, one in May and 1 in August, both show no cancer. Then, Sept 2 I was switched to Enhertu. I did 2 cycles of Enhertu, but the side effects are too much for me to bear and it is my choice to discontinue Enhertu. I have no idea if it was working, my CA15-3 increased slightly after my first cycle of Enhertu, and the reason we switched from Navelbine to Enhertu was because my cancer marker was stable, but not dropping. I also don't like the fact Enhertu is infused with 5% dextrose. I don't do sugar and this chemo forbid me from doing my water fasting to limit my side effects.

They will do my cancer markers again on Friday when I return next week for my next infusion that I believe will be Gemcitabine. But I am still switching even if the marker drops. So my first infusion with this with chemo (gemzar/gemcitabine) will be Friday the 14th of October. I have no idea what the schedule will be. Probably day 1 and 8 every 3 weeks, that is what I did for navelbine.

I am hoping this will drop my CA15-3, and my side effects are minimal. I will be doing my water fasting and hopefully sale through this chemo like I did TCHP 5 years ago with my original diagnosis in 2017. I had zero side effects then, I hadalmost no side effects with navelbine this time, but I was on a growth hormone that might have limited my ability to give me the best results when water fasting. I have contacted my endocrinologist to see if I can hold my growth hormone drug for 7 days. He agreed. I will hold it the first infusion, then I will not the second infusion to see if there is any difference.

Thank you for anysuggestions or advise you can offer.

• eleanora
    eleanora Member Posts: 296
    edited October 2022
    Options

I have not had this treatment and so have no specific advice to offer but wanted to wish you success with this treatment. I am very impressed with the thought and analysis you put into your decisions.

• mera
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hi ladies,

Anyone has nausea a week after getting gemcitabine? Could it be a side effect (although a week has passed) or the cancer came back?

Thanks!