Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

February 2019 Surgery Discussion, Support Posts

BWH5
BWH5 Member Posts: 6

Hello. I don't think there is a February surgery board yet. So I will start.

DX 11/30/18

Lumpectomy with oncoplastic reconstruction scheduled for 2/5/19. Reduction on the right breast.

DCIS grade 2.

6.9 x 4.4 x 6.1 cm.

.7 cm from nipple at nine to ten o'clock.

Surgery is expected to be 5 hours and I have been told I will stay overnight.

Radiation to follow-up 16 treatments.

Good luck to everyone!

Comments

• Fritzmylove
    Fritzmylove Member Posts: 262
    edited February 2019

I am guessing that I will be apart of this group. DX 9/19/18, and I had neoadjuvant chemo from 10/1/18-1/14/19. I have an MRI tomorrow, and then meet with my BS Feb 4th. I’ll be having BMX with hopefully very few lymph nodes removed 🤞🏻 Depending on when my BS can coordinate with my PS I should have surgery by the end of the month at the very latest

• Kanona7795
    Kanona7795 Member Posts: 29
    edited February 2019

I’m in the February surgery club as well. I had my BMX in Oct 2018 and I’m having my DIEP Flap surgery tomorrow 02/01/19. I’m so excited to finally get this surgery over with. It should take about 10 hours and I will be in the hospital 4 nights. It’s a big surgery but I sure I’m making the right decision. I had implants before BC and I like the idea of going a different route. Good luck to all having surgery this month!!

• applejuice
    applejuice Member Posts: 49
    edited February 2019

I am here too, BMX + TE tomorrow 02/01/19, should be out and back home on Saturday. I have some sniffles but i spoke with the anesthesiologist tonight and told her, not congested, no fever, so i hope all will be ok. Will post again after the surgery.

Kanona good luck with your surgery, as well, sending all good vibes!

• naplesali
    naplesali Member Posts: 5
    edited February 2019

Hi ladies. My BMX is scheduled for February 19th. My surgery will be skin and nipple sparing. I am having expanders placed on top of the muscle. Myhope is to eventually have reconstruction using my own tissue. I just was not up for having that big of surgery right now. I think I will have reconstruction over the summer when my kids are out of school.

• naplesali
    naplesali Member Posts: 5
    edited February 2019

apple juice-praying for your surgery today. Happy that the sniffles didn’t postpone anything.

Kanona-praying for you today girl and your recovery. I know the surgery is a big one, bit I have heard the results are amazing. I am hoping to have the same surgery.

• crossh
    crossh Member Posts: 28
    edited February 2019

I'm schedule for minor tucks for folds over implant and implant exchange on 2/15/2019. Hopefully this will be my last surgery.

For those of you about to undergo BMX, here's a couple tips: (had mine back in November)

A friend gave me a shirt that has Velcro in the front and pockets inside for the drains. I'm 5'3" 130 lbs and it was big on me, but did the job. I wore it home from the hospital and when I needed to go out. It's very easy to put on and take off, and it helps not to have the drains dangling. I would be happy to donate it if anyone wants it.

She also gave me one of those big pillows with arms, the big ones that you lean back on. I highly recommend getting one of these, It helps with comfort and sleeping the first few weeks.

She also sent me a bag of ricola honey drops to take to the hospital. You will have a sore throat for a couple days from the breathing tube, They helped a lot. Best of luck on your journey.

Reposted from another thread , I found it hard to find information when I was looking.

Hello,

I just wanted to share my experience from bilateral mastectomy with prepectoral (above the muscle) alloderm mesh and tissue expander placements reconstruction in the hopes that is can bring some comfort to those about to do the same. I looked for this myself before the procedure and was unable to find anything.

I had my bilateral mastectomy surgery with prepectoral (above the muscle) alloderm mesh and tissue expander placements on November 9, 2018. Spent the night in the hospital, lots of pain meds so not too bad. Everything went well, no additional cancer found, and was released around noon. I came home Saturday with two drains on each side to collect fluids. These drains needed to be emptied as they filled. These were horribly uncomfortable and I could not wait to get them out!

On the following Tuesday I went in for post op and had two removed. On Friday I returned to have the other two removed. (YAY).

I spent that first week basically on the couch resting. My husband was able to work from home, so I was lucky to have him around for anything needed.I was not in much pain, I would describe it more as discomfort. I was on 5 mg valium (for muscle spasms) and tramadol for a couple days but switched to valium and ibuprofen (as needed) and stayed on this for weeks. I work from home on a computer, so I was able to return to work on Thursday, 6 days after surgery. I could work laying on the couch. If I had to go into the office, I would have had to wait longer, as I was very tired for weeks after the surgery.

Week 2 I visited my plastic surgeon and received my first saline injection. I felt nothing during or after.

Week 3 I had my second injection and started to feel some discomfort as the expanders increased.

Week 4 I had my third and final injection. This was all my skin tissue could hold. At this point I felt like I had baseballs under my skin, uncomfortable, but not painful. I had to wait two weeks for tissue expander to silicone implant replacement.

Week 8, on Thursday January 3, I went in for the replacement surgery. It was a 2-3 hour surgery under general anesthesia. I was not in any serious pain, taking tramadol for a couple days, then ibuprofen for a day. By Sunday I was off all meds except antibiotics. My breasts felt SO much better as the silicone implants are soft and mushy. I was able to return to work on Monday (remember I work from home). I did not need any help, and just needed to take it easy and rest. I did have some stomach issues from the antibiotics so went off them on Tuesday.

Week 9 I had a post op visit on Tuesday and everything looks good, healing well. They kind of look like Barbie boobs, only smaller lol. However, I'm disappointed in the size. I was originally a C and am now a B. My PS said he put in the largest size he felt comfortable with because my skin was tight. However, he said as my breasts settle they will stretch some more and I can come back for a larger replacement if I want. He said it's a simple 45 minute surgery to swap the implants, so I will probably do it. I am also considering nipple rebuilding, which he also does. It's a 15 min surgery that you can drive yourself home from. Then tattoo for the finish. He showed me a picture of one of his patients, and they look like real nipples. I have to admit, the decision whether to remove the nipples or not was a hard one. One I made on the table on the way to surgery. But I do not regret it, because it's really easier for my PS to work with a clean slate and I was able to reduce my cancer re-occurrence to 1%.

Week 10 I feel pretty good. Starting to get some energy back, no pain or discomfort at all.

Week 11 feeling really good except for some weird itching under the implant on one side. It lasted on and off for three days, woke me in my sleep. My PS said it was nerves reconnecting.

This is Week 12, and I feel great, started back exercising on the elliptical this week. Energy back completely. Implants are getting less noticeable each day, in terms of feeling them in your body. I'm not happy with the size (400 cc smooth memory gel high profile), because they are smaller than my original breasts (C cup), so I'm going in for an exchange in two weeks to 500 cc. My PS tells me it's a 45 minute procedure, easily done. I also have these two folds of fat that lay over them next to my armpits, which he is also fixing (15 min procedure). Hopefully, this will be it for me!

Best of luck all!

• HD9700
    HD9700 Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2019

Hi all! I’m heading to surgery tomorrow morning at 5:45am eek! Having some wicked anxiety. I’ve had surgery before but this time it’s throwing me for a loop. I’m going to try some meditation and see if that helps.

• jessie123
    jessie123 Member Posts: 134
    edited February 2019

HD9700 --- I wish that I could have a lumpectomy, but they would take out too much. My friend had one and she said there was nothing to it. It really was not bad --- even when she got home. Tomorrow evening at this time you'll be home and fine

• BWH5
    edited February 2019

HD9700

That will be me tomorrow night. My surgery is Tuesday. I doubt I will sleep tomorrow.

Best of luck to you and let us know how it goes.

• BWH5
    edited February 2019

Pre op was Friday. Was there for six hours.

But I did find out that I probably will not have to stay the night after the Lumpectomy. I am so glad I can come home!

Good luck to everyone

• applejuice
    edited February 2019

I am back home since yesterday and i mostly slept. Today i started to walk around and move a little and the pain is there when i try to use my arms in any way, but if i dont move, i dont have any pain or very little. Yesterday i took one pill of oxy and that was it. I only take antibiotics now and i hope it becomes easier to move the arms and the chest. will have the post op visit on Friday. Drains were around 25-20 ml and clear.

• applejuice
    edited February 2019

Kanona, i hope your surgery went well and soon you will give us an update!

HD9700 how are you feeling after the surgery? Is the pain moderate and easy to deal with?

BWH5 good luck tomorrow! Sending good thoughts and i hope all will go easy!

On my side i am seeing improvement by the day, today i was able to take a walk along when my husb walked the dog and no major pain, more like discomfort when i try to use my arms but nothing terrible. However, there is something that concerns me; i took a peek under the padding at the breasts shapes, given by the tissue expanders and they look very uneven, with the nipples way on the sides and i am not sure how they will change going forward :( the way they look right now is concerning me... i know it is very early and i am hopeful...

• HD9700
    edited February 2019

BWH5 Good luck today! Sending light and love your way.

Kanona - Hope you’re doing well today

Jessie123 - Thank you! I spent the last month going back and for between LX and BMX. Five biopsies later and I was toast. Decided to do the least invasive for now.

Applejuice - Glad to hear you’re improving. Do you have PT scheduled or excercises do to at home? I have no clue about your TEs, maybe a quick call to your PS would set your mind at ease?

I’m resting comfortably. Keeping ahead of the pain alternating between Ibuprofen and Percocet every 3 hours (each every 6 hours), which has never been more than a 4 or 5. Had a fitful sleep last night. I’m not used to sleeping on my back. I rolled up a towel to keep me from rolling onto my right side and needed a pillow on the left to drape my right arm to keep it off the underarm incision.

Arrived at 5:45am. They took me back to get changed around 6am. They got me settled in the pre-preop area. The nurse initially couldn’t get the IV started due to a lock in the first vein she tried (and tried and tried). Second attempt was quick. At around 6:50am they took me to radiology for 4 injections of the blue dye. It was uncomfortable but not really painful. I was back in the pre-preop area by 7am. Surgery was schedule for 8:30, so had quite a long wait. Not good for the nerves!

Headed to surgery at 8:30 and spoke with anesthesiologist and met the nurses that would be in the operating room with me. My BS was a bit late (but not by much I don’t think). They wheeled me in to the OR, strapped my arm out and then I woke up in recovery! No nausea, just had a hard time keeping my eyes open. My BS came to talk to me but I didn’t have my hearing aids in yet, so she went and spoke with my husband. I should have left a list of questions for him, but it never occurred to me beforehand.

She removed 4 lymph nodes, one of which was in my underarm. She said they all felt fine. I guess we’ll see when the pathology report comes back. I have my follow up appointment next week on 2/12. I assume she’ll wait until then to review it.

My cancer center has a mindfulness class that hubby and I started last week. It runs for 8 weeks with a full day seminar toward the end. Tonight is class number 2 and we’re bringing yoga mats.

On Thursday my sister, niece and I are going to see Savion Glover and I can’t wait. We saw him a few years ago and it was a marvelous show

• megan_c
    megan_c Member Posts: 5
    edited February 2019

My double mastectomy and beginnings of reconstruction is tomorrow February 6th 2019. I'm not going to lie, i'm a little worried about the pain after, but i've gotten some good advice about how to handle it. :)

• bam320
    bam320 Member Posts: 84
    edited February 2019

I am scheduled for right mastectomy, diep reconstruction on Feb 21st. I am having trouble wrapping my head around how this will all go with the drains, sleeping, etc after I am home. I have my pre up assessment , ct scan and meet with the plastic surgeon again tomorrow and then I meet with the surgical oncologist again on Thursday. It is all becoming very real now!

Good luck to everyone!!

• HD9700
    edited February 2019

Good luck tomorrow Megan! All will be well. We’re here for you when you wake up 💕

• megan_c
    megan_c Member Posts: 5
    edited February 2019

awww! Thank you so much! :D

• applejuice
    edited February 2019

I did not hear anything about PT or exercises. Is the plastic surgeon discussing this? Anybody doing PT or exercises before the drains are out?

Good luck Megan!

• Fritzmylove
    edited February 2019

My BS doesn't want me moving my elbows away from my body for about 2 weeks after BMX. She called it T Rex arms. She said different doctors recommend different things, and some want you to try to regain range of motion right away. I probably won't start PT until drains are out.

• 60notpretty
    60notpretty Member Posts: 43
    edited February 2019

Hi all,  Hope you are all doing well after surgery. My surgery is scheduled for Friday (8th). Mine is a lumpectomy. Hope it's as simple as everyone says. ((Hugs)) to all of you through your journey.

• 60notpretty
    edited February 2019

Fritzmylove, I have a Fritz in my life too. He's a 6 month old black lab puppy. :)

• Fritzmylove
    edited February 2019

60notpretty how funny! My Fritz is an 8 year old silver lab! He's my profile pic :)

• 60notpretty
    edited February 2019

Fritzmylove, I saw that and he is quite adorable.

• Fritzmylove
    edited February 2019

I finally got my surgery date: Feb 20th!! I'm so ready! I also met with my PS yesterday, and I'll be having pre-pectoral tissue expanders placed.

• bam320
    bam320 Member Posts: 84
    edited February 2019

I am happy to hear that everyone is doing well! Gives me hope for my surgery on the 21st....right mastectomy with reconstruction via diep flap.

• HD9700
    edited February 2019

Hi everyone!

60notpretty Hope your surgery went well

My BS called with results. The margins were clear. She took 5 lymph nodes. 3 are positive so that puts me at grade III. I'm ER+ so they'll be retesting the HER to see about chemo.

She's discussing with the rest of her team to decide if additional lymph node surgery is warranted or just the rads next.

I wasn't prepared for this news. At all. I'm back in research mode and have no clue where to look next. I'm pretty sure I missed some of what she said.

I have an appointment on Tuesday with her which seems an awful long time from now (it isn't but doesn't change how I feel). I guess we'll discuss more about it then.

• SusieInSeattle
    SusieInSeattle Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2019

Hi Everyone,

I’ve been reading for a couple weeks but just now jumping in to this group. I had (yay! Past tense!) DCIS removed BMX on Feb 7th. Surgery went really well. I’m home and resting. They sent me home with steristrips, gauze over that, fluffy gauze over that, and an ace bandage wrap. My Aunt, who is a surgical nurse, is going to unwrap me today (just the ace and fluffy gauze for now) and I’m really nervous. I’ve been focusing on the positive of a successful surgery and am afraid to see what the wounds and skin envelopes look like. (I am having delayed reconstruction, TE put in on Feb 21). Any advice to face this next step?

• ChelseaPearl
    ChelseaPearl Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2019

Hi Everybody!

I’m love reading all your posts. It really is encouraging. My MX is Monday, Feb 11. Can’t believe it! I’ve been spending the last couple weeks giving my body some good love and fitness. I am so anxious, but getting prepared as much as I can. I hate being on the pre-op side...

• applejuice
    edited February 2019

It is over a week since my BMX+ TE surgery and if some find this encouraging, i wanted to say, i did not have much pain.
    Once out of hospital i only took one pill of Oxy on the first day and two more times regular strength Tylenol.... that was it! Pain seemed very easy to manage after that, but i must say, the first few days I did not do anything other than resting in bed and sleeping.
    I found a way i could sleep pretty well despite sleeping on the back is not my thing. I used a pile of pillows against the headboard and then a soft longer pillow right under the neck, with the sides of the pillow blocking the head movements on both sides. Somehow this allowed me to still turn my head on the sides without moving my torso much, and keeping it steady on the back.
    The drains collection decreased steadily every day but at one week post op, the SO said should keep drains two more days until the liquid is 25 ml or less for 24 hour period (It is now less than 25 ml in the last 40 hours).

On Monday will be meeting with Plastic Surgeon and find out what is the next step.

Good luck and all the best for everyone waiting anxiously! Healing thoughts to all of you on the post op side!

• applejuice
    edited February 2019

HD9700 I totally feel for you with the not so good news! I jumped ahead myself and did not think much of the mastectomy pathology and i was surprised it came back with a 45 mm DCIS area, multifocal IDC ( 3 tumors 11 mm, 3.5 mm and 2 mm ) of no type, after initial biopsy found pure tubular which has one of the best prognosis...! I wonder if could go back to the pathology and request to review the IDC type?
    My stage became 1A after initially it was considered 0