Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

February 2019 Surgery Discussion, Support Posts

Options

Comments

• applejuice
    applejuice Member Posts: 49
    edited February 2019
    Options

Fritzmylove same for me, my PS repeatedly mentioned not to pull push anything, not to lift elbow higher than shoulder for the next 2-3 weeks. Pretty much nothing involving the pectorals. I am not trying to do it but i can tell i re-gained some good part of the motion range, as far as i tried to move my arms.

• Fritzmylove
    Fritzmylove Member Posts: 262
    edited February 2019
    Options

applejuice, I am SO glad to hear you had very minimal pain after your surgery!!!

• Cin17
    Cin17 Member Posts: 41
    edited February 2019
    Options

I was diagnosed last Monday, February 4, 2019, and am hoping my surgery is in February. The breast surgeon and plastic surgeon are coordinating so we're waiting on a date from them. Even as scared as I am (hospital phobic), I just want to get it over with and move onto treatment (whatever that ends up being). It's a huge relief to read the stories of minimal pain. (Thank you!) My breast surgeon says she thinks I'll only need medication afterwards. Is it normal to not have a treatment plan before the surgery? She says they won't know for sure until they remove the tumor and one lymph node to fully examine them.

• applejuice
    edited February 2019
    Options

Hi Cin17,

Yes, it is normal, at least this happened in my case! The after surgery pathology contains all the details about the tumor and once they are known, MO will determine the stage and treatment plan. The lymph node findings are also important and will have an important role in determining the treatment after the surgery. Have you discussed whether you will be going with a lumpectomy or mastectomy?

• megan_c
    megan_c Member Posts: 5
    edited February 2019
    Options

Hello everyone!

Just to update my first post. I had my surgery ( double mastectomy with expanders) on Wednesday( February 6,) I came home on Thursday. There has been some discomfort, but the pain meds have helped with that. All in all, it hasn't been too bad. I can't wait to get the drains out! :)

• Cin17
    edited February 2019
    Options

Hi applejuice, thanks for the info! My breast surgeon told me that she'll have to take the whole breast and there won't be much tissue left so I would need reconstruction. I assumed this meant a mastectomy but when I met with the plastic surgeon and asked about nipple reconstruction, she looked puzzled and asked if the breast surgeon had said she was going to remove the nipple. She hadn't. I must confess to be moving through this whole process in a daze with trouble concentrating or crunching information so maybe she's doing an extreme lumpectomy? I'm going to call and ask if they have coordinated a date yet so maybe I'll ask then (if I remember).

• applejuice
    edited February 2019
    Options

Hi Cin17,

I believe Mastectomy involves removing the nipple unless there is a procedure called Nipple sparing surgery which needs to be done a week or so ahead of the mastectomy; the surgeon will have to determine if you qualify for that. Some factors are the type of cancer, position of the tumor, age, size of the breast and nipple, whether had previous scars around the nipple, etc. Since the mastectomy involves removing all the breast tissue, the nipple wont have any blood supply left so the nipple sparing procedure detaches the nipple and some skin from the breast tissue and ensures that the nipple will get blood supply thru the adjacent skin. Also involves verifying that the nipple is cancer free and it can be saved.

My surgeon did this about 10 days ahead of the mastectomy and at the same time did the Sentinel lymph node removal and biopsy.

If the nipple cannot be spared, the nipple reconstruction will be done after the reconstruction of the breast so discuss with your oncology surgeon and plastic surgeon which are the best options for your case.

• borogirl
    borogirl Member Posts: 30
    edited February 2019
    Options

I had nipple sparing BMX and had nothing special done before the MX. My incisions are around the top of areola and then to the side about 2”. I was very concerned ahead of time about necrosis of nipple and or areola, but other that some deep bruising that became a scab, it all went fine. Different Dr.s do it different ways, and it also depends on where your cancer is located. I had my MX done prophylactic, because even though I didn’t have cancer yet, I had several biopsies with atypically cells so I was able to remove my high risk for developing cancer.

• applejuice
    edited February 2019
    Options

Hi borogirl,

Very true, different surgeons have different methods! My nipple sparing surgery incisions were in the crease, under the breast and same location for mastectomies.

Easy healing and all good vibes!

• applejuice
    edited February 2019
    Options

Today I had my drains removed after the last two days they drained 20 ml or less in 24 hour period. It feels much better and most of the discomfort was given by the drains. I had pretty increased pectorals cramps for about 2 hours but all relaxed after I arrived home and rested. I plan to sleep without a bra tonight, it feels like heaven, a huge relief which i did not even think of "before"!!

The entire breast area is still swollen and none of the bras i purchased for my size (M -36 inch around the chest) and now small :(( the XL size is still uncomfortably tight.

How is everyone doing?

• Cin17
    edited February 2019
    Options

Met with my GP yesterday for the EKG (since I'm 60) and she sat with me for a while to discuss the diagnosis. She had the BS report and was able to answer my question about nipple sparing surgery. The report said that the BS is going for a nipple sparing mastectomy but it sounds like she'll decide during surgery whether it's possible. The PS had told me that she'd be taking multiple options (round silicon implants and chest expander) into surgery to see what works best. I guess, like the final pathology report, I'll just have to wait and see what comes after. I'm on pins and needles waiting for a surgery date and carry my phone with me everywhere, even into the bathroom (which I never do!), because I'm so afraid of missing the call.

My PS isn't going to touch my left (healthy) breast. Her goal is symmetry. I was surprised since I've had children and breast fed both of them but if she thinks she can make the reconstructed breast match then I'll be happy. My fear is that I'll end up with one perky breast and one droopy one. Which is kinda silly given that should be the least of my worries.

applejuice, sounds like you've had an excellent recovery. That gives me hope.

• AMLMom
    AMLMom Member Posts: 16
    edited February 2019
    Options

Surgery tomorrow! Lx with oncoplasty.

DCIS and IDC. Whole tumour something like 7.5 cm; invasive rumour estimated to be 1 cm.

Best wishes to everyoneXo

• eliza_246
    eliza_246 Member Posts: 14
    edited February 2019
    Options

Good luck @AMLMom tomorrow

Hope all goes well. Hear from you on the other side! I read through your story, it is a tough decision making process, I don't think any other illness requires such a monumental decision.

All the best

• eliza_246
    edited February 2019
    Options

Hi all

Joining this February group as having surgery on 28th Feb. MMX and SNLB, hopefully just the one node. Definitely no reconstruction.

It took me a month to make the decision. After a diagnosis of Paget's and a WLE they found in the removed tissue a 2cm high grade DCIS lurking which hadn't shown up on mammogram or ultrasound. Even though it had clear margins, because it was never seen they didn't know what else may be lurking. So I was given the option of yearly screening or a mastectomy - talk about two extremes. No brainer really, had a 2nd opinion from a revered UK BS who gave me the same choice, although he added radiation into his options, but to radiate half a breast when I am only a B cup and not caring on aesthetics seemed wrong, so I eventually opted for a MMX. No reconstruction as no-one realises I have breasts anyway as always wear scarves and jewellery!

I am now worried about the lymphodema thing, goodness it never ends. Hoping only one node taken so risk will be lowered, though I am not sure anyone is really clear on if how many are taken actually makes a difference. I just have to keep reminding myself I am one of the lucky ones, and now that the Paget's has gone, I "technically am cancer free", and this is just a mop up in case anything lurking. So I mustn't complain!

Hope all are OK

Best wishes

Eliza

• Cin17
    edited February 2019
    Options

Just got my surgery date of February 27. Was hoping for something sooner but my local hospital was booked up so the surgeons are sending me to a new one, which will only compound my stress.

AMLMom, hope you're doing well!

Eliza, that's my hope too, just the sentinel node. Fingers crossed for both of us!

applejuice, how long before you felt well enough to go out? I had plans for March 9 but that will only be 10 days after surgery so not sure if I'll need to cancel them.

• applejuice
    edited February 2019
    Options

Cin17,

I started going out on 20-30 minutes walks, on 4th day after surgery, went out to dinner on the 5th day and thereafter. On the 10th day I had the drains removed, but before that, I could walk, spend a lot of time out of bed, just not doing any activity that involved using my arms and the pectorals.

I'm not sure if my case is the norm, I was given pain meds in the hospital, 1st day after surgery and i took one Oxy pill on the second day after surgery - first day home, nothing else on the following days for pain. I still don't drive despite i could, but plastic surgeon said 2 more weeks not using arms and pectorals at all and just minimal activity, the restriction has to do with how the muscles heal and the scars develop, according to him, so i am listening, trying to minimize any possible trouble. I think you might be fine going out on the 10th day if you don't have to drive.

• Fritzmylove
    Fritzmylove Member Posts: 262
    edited February 2019
    Options

1 week until my big day, and I'm in deep clean mode. I almost feel like I'm nesting before having a baby! Scrubbing showers, cleaning the cast iron grates on the stove top, wiping down cabinets, etc. All things that I'm sure will drive me crazy looking at and not being able to do anything about while I'm recovering. Last night my husband asked if I should practice sleeping on my back, and I jokingly shot back, "that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard!" I'm going to soak up all the things I'll miss after surgery... like sleeping on my side and vacuuming LOL!!

• Cin17
    edited February 2019
    Options

That's good to know, applejuice. I'd already pre-ordered tickets to take our grandson to the Captain Marvel movie. Taking him to the movies is one of my favorite things to do so that would be a great pick-me-up after surgery.

Fritzmylove, that's too funny because I have been practicing sleeping on my back. But I don't last very long, don't know how I'll manage not rolling onto my side after surgery.

• applejuice
    edited February 2019
    Options

Fritzmylove I did exactly the same! Felt like nesting! Looking back, it was good for keeping my mind away from the deep thinking of what is going to happen, from all the anxiety related to the coming events and did not let me go crazy or drive my husband crazy with all the worries and such!

For sleeping on my back, I think I mentioned on another post, Ifound a way that worked for me and I still sleep in the same way despite the drains are out now and I could sleep on the side! I'll try to stick to it as much as I could! Pile up pillows against the headboard and find a softer, longer pillow that's lower, to stick under the neck and head only, that would allow the head to turn sideways (giving the impression of turning on the side) while the torso is still unmoved, laying on the back. I grow to like it, I hope it helps some of you too!

• AMLMom
    AMLMom Member Posts: 16
    edited February 2019
    Options

Hi, I had my surgery yesterday. Lx with oncoplasty and removal of two lymph nodes. All in all it wasn’t too bad. It was a fairly large incision (10cm with a 7.5cm tumour), and I’m afraid to look at the areabecause I’m fairly certain based on what I read in the report that they removed the nipple and then put it back (ouch), but the pain is manageable and I have no drains. I was very groggy, and am just now starting to snap out of it.

It was so hard to choose what type of surgery to do, but I'm very happy with my decision. It feels right now.

Good luck everyone.

• 60notpretty
    60notpretty Member Posts: 43
    edited February 2019
    Options

hd9700 so sorry to hear your news wasn’t as good as expected. My surgery went really good and I went for my follow up this morning. The news wasn’t great but could have been much worse. They found an invasive tumor in the lobular to go along with the DCIS. They’ll have to do another surgery in March for a node biopsy. This was totally not expected but I’ll still hope for the best. I have oncology radiation appts next week so it looks like I’ll be busy for awhile. Hope and pray all goes well for you hd9700. ((Hugs))to all of you on your journeys

• OarsUp
    OarsUp Member Posts: 8
    edited February 2019
    Options

hi all. I have a left breast lumpectomy scheduled for Monday. I have ADH AND ALH. Just finished all my pre-op. Had a seed placed today. I have a huge hematoma from my biopsy so it hurt a bit. The radiologist squeezed some of the blood out but now its bulging again.

My left arm is bothering me a bit. You think that’s normal since I have had a biopsy and lots of poking lately?

Wishing you all quick healing.

• eliza_246
    edited February 2019
    Options

Hi

Glad all went well, and hope you have come to terms with whatever they did to your nipple! I flinched when reading it, ha. I type this sitting here with only one nipple anyway, so have some empathy! My original lumpectomy in December for Paget's included the complete removal of nipple / areola, they offered to put a fake one on at some stage, but I declined, and now have to a mastectomy anyway! Surprisingly quickly I got used to its absence. Good luck with your recovery.

All the best

Eliza

• benji69
    benji69 Member Posts: 88
    edited February 2019
    Options

I am having surgery Tuesday, lumpectomy and complete axillary lymphadenectomy. 6 months of chemo shrunk every thing but the lymph nodes are still going. I don’t care about the breast but am concerned about future for my arm. I’ve come to accept the loss of a year of my life to fight this but I hope I can go back to something like normal

• Dawmar
    Dawmar Member Posts: 13
    edited February 2019
    Options

Today marks 2 weeks post Lumpectomy. Post surgical follow up I was told margins and lymph nodes were clear. Although they removed 3 but only tested 2. Waiting for results of the OncoDx to determine if I have to do chemo. One last hurdle before radiation.

• applejuice
    edited February 2019
    Options

I just learned by reading on BCO community, the insurance might cover your mastectomy bras, some a limited number a year (3 or 4) and some like Cigna, unlimited. I have Cigna and on their website they say Mastectomy bras are covered following a mastectomy under a customer's medical benefit but I need to call and ask about any limitations.
    I received a prescription for mastectomy bra from my plastic surgeon and I understood Nordstrom is in Cigna network, for example, the store could submit the claim directly to the insurance. This could make our lives a bit easier. I wanted to mention just in case someone did not know ( like me...)

• Cin17
    edited February 2019
    Options

applejuice, I bought a post-surgery bra online, but didn't realize there are special bras for mastectomy. Thanks for the tip!

Congrats on the good news, Dawmar!

10 days till my surgery and I'm completely stressed. So worried that the final pathology report will be worse than the first. It's hard to stay positive especially since my breast is so sore that it's a constant reminder of what's there.

Healing thoughts to all!

• kkayet
    kkayet Member Posts: 7
    edited February 2019
    Options

Let me know how meditation helps any of you deal with the stress. I was diagnosed with IDC on Feb. 4th. Just did an MRI this past week. Now waiting on the results of it and my first meeting with an oncologist. Currently we are looking at a Lump (left breast) with up to 3 lymph nodes taken from my arm pit. I have saline implants, so surgery is tricky. Anyone else go through this who currently have implants? How did radiation affect it (or them)?

Best to everyone preparing for surgery or recovering from surgery.

• 60notpretty
    60notpretty Member Posts: 43
    edited February 2019
    Options

Hi kkayet I have implants as well. I just had a lumpectomy abweek ago and am supposed to start radiation this week. I still have another surgery for March because they found an invasive tumor in the lobular so they want to check the lymph nodes. My surgeon said the implants shouldn’t give me any issues but I’ll let you know after I meet with the radiation oncologist tomorrow.

• kkayet
    kkayet Member Posts: 7
    edited February 2019
    Options

Bam320,I see our diagnoses are very similar, except mine is in the left breast. I'm still waiting to meet with an oncologist to discuss a plan, so this thread is very helpful. Best of luck tomorrow. My thoughts are with you.