Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting chemo April 2019

Options

Comments

• robinredbreast
    robinredbreast Member Posts: 49
    Options

Hi Everyone,

My neutropenia is resolved (thanks to Neuasta kicking in). I remain in the hospital with infection (septic). My blood cultures keep coming back positive (after port removed). I now have septic emboli in my lungs too. While my hospital stay has been positive overall (staff and physicians have done an amazing job). All I wanna do is go home. Starting to feel like I'm in Hotel California. 

Anyway, once discharged, I'll be on IV antibiotics delivered via a PICC line for 6 weeks. The wound where my port was is packed (wet to dry) every day. Needless to say, I'm done with chemo (only had one TC left). I remain positive that I will no longer get chemo, but nervous that this infection will never end. Life changing...

I wish everyone the best in your continued journey. Stay strong.

TTFN.

Ro

• fac03
    fac03 Member Posts: 40
    Options

robinredbreast, so good to hear from you. It was really scary. I hope you can get home soon and have a fast recovery.

MsMarie, Farfalla6, bam320, good to hear that taxol is easier. Hopefully, I will be following soon.

Bam320, can you post the link for l-glutamine, I am thinking to talk to my oncologist.

• debrac
    debrac Member Posts: 63
    Options

robonredbreast,

So sorry to hear you are in the hospital and have an infection. Hope you get to go home soon and get this behind you. You got thru 3 TC treatments, the doctors will have a new plan for you I’m sure.

Hang on! You can do this! 🌸

• stayingpositive2019
    stayingpositive2019 Member Posts: 18
    Options

Hi to all,

Is anybody experiencing tinnitus? I had my third treatment on Wednesday and yesterday the ringing started. So loud, it is really annoying and makes it hard for me even to sleep. For anyone that is experiencing this, did it get better as you got further out from treatment?

I just want to be done and feel normal again...

Laura

• msmarie
    msmarie Member Posts: 72
    Options

robinred, thanks for updating us. Wow, I'm just so sorry this happened to you and will be such a long recovery. You can do it and we're all cheering for you! If I recall, you had rads first right? So hopefully with the chemo treatments you had also, you can feel confident it's done the job. Keep us posted.

Stayingpositive, I think I have experienced some ear blockage and ringing. Most of it was during the end of AC. It's not necessarily a ringing and mine isn't loud, it's more like a gnat, high pitched and it's intermittent. I'm not sure it's tinnitus, especially since I didn't have the carboplatin. Whatever it is, I didn't have it before chemo.

MM.

• debrac
    Options

Getting ready for my 4th and last TC treatment tomorrow. Happy it’s the last, dreading another infusion. Never recovered strength or stamina during the last three weeks. Really bummed about that. Grateful it wasn’t any worse. My blood work has held steady.

I have a profound new respect for you ladies that so many more and stronger treatments. I can’t iminage going 6 weeks or 12 weeks. Positive thoughts for all of you 💪🏻.

• bam320
    bam320 Member Posts: 84
    Options

Robin - thanks for the update on your progress. I cannot imagine all that you have been through with this. You continue to be in my thoughs and prayers.

Yeah DebraC!! Hope all goes smoothly today! Congratulations on making it through. Do you have radiation after or are you done?

Fac03 - I don't have any specific links to glutamine and neuropathy but if you search you will find a lot of info. Pubmed is a good site to search.

Good luck to all who are up for infusions this week

• debrac
    Options

Bam320,

I have radiation next, I think 6 weeks. They’ve already have a set up appointment next Wednesday. Hope I have I have the stamina to make it. 🥴

Power thoughts to all having treatments this week. 💥

• farfalla6
    farfalla6 Member Posts: 92
    Options

Robin redbreast; thinking of you and hope you are going to be discharged soon.

Bam320 and Ms. Marie: we are getting through this, I only have 3 treatments to go!

DebraC: you're on to the next step, closer to finishing!

Sp far, I've had an easier time with Taxol: except for bad bone pain on day 2, I haven't had any side effects at all. I hope this continues and that I don't have a reaction to my next infusion: I read somewhere that the can happen with the second Taxol. It's felt easier to be at work and keep up with everything, and attend end of year events for the kids. I'm just pretty tired.

• debrac
    Options

Morning ladies,

Completed my last TC treatment yesterday. First three had no issues pop up. The nurses were confident I’d go through without a hutch, me too. About half way thru taxotere, I felt pressure in my chest. Not bad, but something not right. So we stopped, they gave me benedryl. That’s was immediate drowsy and sleepy.

Waited for a hour for all to subside and then started back slower. Made it through and on to the cytoxan. Not problems after.

Happy to be done and move on to next phase. I know I will be chemotose starting tomorrow thru Monday at least.

Power on friends!!! 💪🏻

• robinredbreast
    robinredbreast Member Posts: 49
    Options

Yay, DebraC - you made it!

I came home Monday evening (2 weeks in hospital) on IV antibiotics every 4 hours for 5 weeks. Glad it's on an automatic pump! Had to put my PICC in my surgery/lymph node arm (I know a BIG no no!), but no way a PICC would go in the other arm (no veins left and blood clot in cephalic vein due to harsh antibiotics). Still have open wound in my chest (wet to dry dressing changes daily) where my port was. Dr's (and I) didn't want another central line in my chest. Soooo, PICC in surgery/lymph node arm it is. Since I only had one sentinel node removed, the docs are thinking the benefit out weighs the 5% greater lymphedema risk.

I already completed radiation (increases lymph risk too), I suppose my adjuvant treatment is over. Although I admit, chemo SE's are still lingering (taste, fatigue, and naturally hair). Fatigue may be related to the sepsis too...

See my MO next week to talk of plans for next step (and likely AI).

Thanks for the kind words and well wishes.

Best to you all on your continued journey.

Ro

• debrac
    Options

Robin, I’m soooo happy you are home. Now you can get on the road to recovery. ❤️

This BC journey has been a trial and tribulations for so many of us. But we can go forward!

• ILOVERMONT
    ILOVERMONT Member Posts: 23
    Options

I just had my last TC! Hopefully last chemo ever!

Sorry to hear of things not going so well for some of you.

I mostly breezed through all (so far anyway) and attribute it to acupuncture which I will continue through radiation. I never would have thought of it but it was recommended by my doctor at Dana Farber where I went to get a second opinion.

If anyone is interested, I made my headcover and can share how. Just message me.

Hang in there!

• debrac
    Options

ILOVERMONT, Congrats on finishing your TC treatments 🎉🎉

I’m with you, hope we never have to go thru it again. Keep that smile and moving on forward💪🏻

• bam320
    Options

Robinredbreast - so glad to hear that you are home! You have been through it and it can only get better from here. Please continue to keep us posted on how you are doing.

Debrac and Ilovevermont - Congratulations on being done!!! That has got to feel great!

Princessofmeh - how are things with you?

I had my 2nd taxol and was completely uneventful. I did have some bone pain after my first one at days 3-5 but it was not constant, more like flashes of pain. I had the same type of flashes in my intestines and the only way I can explain it was like my ovaries and uterus were drying and shriveling up. I think the NP though I was crazy with that descriptionLoopy Two more to go and then 5 weeks of radiation. I feel that daily trips for radiation will get old pretty quick but a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do!

Wishing all the best to everyone!!

• bam320
    Options

Has anyone noticed hair growth yet? I am a month out of a/c and I swear I can see some growth....minuscule as it may be! I am fine with my wigs but would really like my own hair back and realize that even if it is growing ever so slightly that it will be a long haul until I am back to my own. I did have to shave my legs twice recently for a little, very little stubble too!

• msmarie
    Options

debra and ilovermont, so happy for you completing chemo!

Gotta admit I'm jelly. I have 9 more taxol and then 33 rads 😳.

Bam, I have leg stubble too. I still have significant hair on my head due to the cold capping, so it's hard to tell if I have any new growth. I'm so over the wig in the hot summer, but I know it will be a long road back to my normal hair. Let me know if it is indeed new growth, bc that has to be exciting!

Robinred, hoping you are making strides in your recovery.

My WBC are great on taxol. Still have issues w hemoglobin not recovering. It went down slightly this week. Still anemic. Doing all I can, eating iron rich foods, taking a supplement, exercising regularly.

Hugs to all, wherever you are now on your journey! MM

• princessofmeh
    princessofmeh Member Posts: 74
    Options

Spa day! And a CT next week to see if chemo has gotten it all. There's still a bit of something there, but onco says that could be scarring. Anyhoo, I'm not done, 2 more treatments after today's to go. So if Mr. Lumpy is still hanging on, I have more chemicals to persuade it there are better places to be. Getting the CT now, though, will give us an idea of how to proceed with rads.

Muscle fatigue in my legs is still a thing for me, but that said, I walked 2 hours for Pokemon Go community day last weekend, including up this killer hill that I whined about when I didn't even have anything going on. So yes, my leg muscles are burning and tired, but for now, I can still push through it.

Congrats to those who've finished!

• debrac
    Options

Just had my radiation set up appointment.

I’ll have 20 treatments starting in 2 weeks. So happy it’s not more, so I should be finished by end of July. Guess I need to start reading thru the radiation pages.

Only a week after my last chemo, feeling kinda drained. Yesterday and the day before, felt like I’ve been hit by a truck. Today with a focus on going to the appointment, feel a bit better,, now ready for a full on nap.

Hang on ladies,,,,, your all almost there.!

• farfalla6
    farfalla6 Member Posts: 92
    Options

Good to hear that we are all getting through this! I have found the Taxol to be MUCH easier than the AC; I do have bad bone pains for 2-3 days, but that's it, no taste changes, mouth sores, nausea. I do have fatigue from my anemia but am able to feel active enough to feel fine at work and doing household stuff. I can't go to the gym though. I have 2 taxol left, then on to radiation.

• fac03
    fac03 Member Posts: 40
    Options

robinredbreast, so glad you finally left the hospital. Please keep us updated of your progress.

DebraC, congrat on you last treatment. Your are so pretty with the hat.

ILOVERMONT, congrat on your last treatment. Your pic inspired me to use headcover instead of my wig which I wore only once.

bam320, I did google glutamine, but there were so many options/descriptions that I am not sure which one to buy, hence I was looking for the link you ued and then I can talk to my doctor.

So glad everyone is doing better with Taxol. It is encouraging. I just finished my last AC on Tuesday, but my hemoglobin dropped to 8 on Tuesday, oncologist suggested blood transfusion. I like to avoid it if possible, but I do feel shortness of breadth and we agreed that we would do another blood test next week before deciding, but I can see blood transfusion may be unavoidable. Based on my fitbit I walked less than a 1000 steps a day, but she suggested me not to go to the gym.

If all goes well, I will begin taxol in two weeks for 12 cycles. Hopefully it will finish by mid September. I am not sure how much the AC helped me as I felt there is an additional lymph node which is hurting, I also have about 1/4 of my hair left.

• heidirgorecki
    heidirgorecki Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi - just joined but started chemo in April, so just trying to catch up. I am finding the personal experience is more valuable than just basic articles so trying to stay in the mix a bit.

Stage 2B, left Breast, HER2 and PR positive, 1 axillary lymph affected. I'm on TCHP, Herceptin for the remainder of 12 months, and have finished 4 out of 6 treatments so far (almost done....). Then i chose bilateral mastectomy afterwards, scheduled for August. Praying for no radiation and honestly considering rejecting it if recommended.

This is also my 2nd bout with cancer - 5 1/2 yrs ago I was dx'd with colon cancer, surgery and chemo for that. Totally unrelated to this and genetic testing was all negative.

Look forward to joining you all!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,028
    Options

heidirgorecki, we are sorry you find yourself here, and the second time around! We hope we are able to be there for you, and support you for what is to come Please keep us posted.

• msmarie
    Options

Heidi, welcome! We're glad you found us.

Sorry you have had two different cancers.

I'm on a completely different regimen than you are, but I'm on one of the longer treatments here I think. I won't finish my taxol until mid August. We seem to have lost a few ladies who have already finished up, so you may want to seek out some other boards to find ladies on the same regimen as yours. But we are here to support you! MM

• CourMatt
    CourMatt Member Posts: 6
    Options

Yes, we keep receiving different gifts. But, I think people want to help and just don't know how. It seems most are afraid to ask about the cancer and what to do... The best ongoing gift is from my sister in law(in years 3 triple negative). She sends me a birthday card each week for encouragement. She says bday cards are fun and uplifting and the sympathy, get well, or thinking of you are "downers". LOL. And...I look forward to those cards!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,028
    Options

CourMatt, welcome to BC.org! Please, let us know if there is something we can help you with. Stay connected here as you can, and please keep us posted on how you're doing!

Sincelrely,

The Mods

• princessofmeh
    princessofmeh Member Posts: 74
    Options

Omigosh. CT results via patient portal. Haven't talked to my onco yet, but the report says my tumor is gone. SO. MUCH. HAPPY.

As for people finishing up...I'm scheduled for 2 more spa days that should last into the end of July. Haven't had the consult with the radiologist yet, but supposed to do rads after. So I'll still be around for a while yet.

• marylinn222
    marylinn222 Member Posts: 5
    Options

Last TC was yesterday!!! YAY!!!!! Loopy So happy to be done! Bring on the Bottle o' Tamoxifen!

• stayingpositive2019
    Options

Just got home from the hospital. Rang that bell hard!! Just finished last TC. On to radiation next. After some time to recover. 👍. Looking forward to getting back to feeling myself and of course growing some hair.

• stayingpositive2019
    Options

and princessofmeh, that is fantastic news!!!