Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting chemo April 2019

Options

Comments

• Gigi-1
    Gigi-1 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hello all! I started chemo 4/4/19. Didn’t think I would have to do chemo but my Oncotype score came back at 26. My surgical pathology report showed my IDC Estrogen + Progesterone + and HER2 Negative. My Oncotype results showed E + PR- HER2-. My chemo treatment will be 4 A + C over two months followed by 12 weekly Taxol. I will have my port placed next week prior to my 2nd treatment. First treatment side effects lasted approximately 4 days but manageable with takingpre meds as directed.

Dx: 11/2018, IDC Left, 2.5cm stage 1 grade 2 0/3 nodes, ER(97%)+/PR(89%)+, HER2 -

Positive for PALB2 Mutation

SX: 1/2019 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement

Chemotherapy Adriamycin & Cytoxan x 4 followed by Taxol x 12 week

T2, No, Mo

• Alicesneed
    Alicesneed Member Posts: 78
    Options

Met with the oncologist this morning. She wants me about 6 weeks post surgery before starting the chemo (I'm 4 weeks today).

So more waiting...

I go to chemo university next week then have labs & meet with her on April 24 - so I expect to start chemo shortly thereafter.

I will have 6 rounds of TCH+P

Thanks for sharing your ups and downs everyone. It gives me insight as I wait...

• kimg
    kimg Member Posts: 19
    Options

Gigi, first welcome to our group! We have VERY similar cancer stats. I was not found PR negative, but it's about 50%. I am on same kind of chemo exactly, and started April 3rd. I am also PALB2 positive. Why the big break between surgery and chemo, if you don't mind me asking? I had surgery 2/18, and it took about 3 weeks to get my Endopredict test back. It rated me as having a 20% chance of distant recurrence, and an 8% absolute benefit of chemo, which brings it to 12% chance of recurrence.

Have you cut or shaved your hair yet? When are you doing that? I'm dreading that part, but know it's coming very soon.

I would also love your thoughts on ovary removal, etc. or anything else you are doing with PALB2 knowledge.

• bam320
    bam320 Member Posts: 84
    Options

Alicesneed - waiting S%#KS! Medical professionals seem to think it is no biggie to wait while we just want it out, killed, and to be done with it already!

Welcome Gigi-1...but sorry you have to be here!

I have a question for Kimg and Gigi-1 in regards to the PALB2 mutation. Did you get that information along with your oncotype score or was genetic testing done? And if so was that due in part to your age?

I did not have to get my oncotype score because I had some positive nodes so regardless needed chemo. I am 53 so genetic testing was not done (my surgical oncologist said usually under 50 get tested?) but I am having it done due to wanting to know if there is anything so my kids will either have some peace of mind or get screenings earlier. I just meet with the genetics counselor this week and should have the results in about two weeks.

Thanks!

• fac03
    fac03 Member Posts: 40
    Options

HI Ladies,

I will be starting chemo on April 23. I am really worry as I still trying to learn as much as I can.

I was diagnosed on 02/25. A second biopsy on 03/25. I will have the port put in tomorrow (Thursday). The doctor's office scheduled my chemo on 04/23. I am worry as I do not know whether the delay will make the BC worse. They told me I can have the chemo on this Friday, but the doctor will be on vacation next week. I am concerned that I do not know how to handle the side effect. They said I can always call the office and a doctor will help me on dealing with the side effect.

The chemo is neoadjuvan, and I haven't had anything done yet. Is it normal to wait this long?

Also, I read aboutthe chewing ice during chemo. I asked the scheduling person, she told me she never heard of it )and I am assuming they won't be providing the ice). How do you bring the ice for the chemo? do you bring a thermo?

I learned about flushing the toilet twice and be careful of the bodily fluid. But should I separate my clothing from my family members to wash? Should I ask my husband to sleep in another room?

• Jalehb
    Jalehb Member Posts: 1
    Options

Ladies, I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007 but it feel likes yesterday and seeing your posts is bringing it all back. I was ER-PR negative, HER positive and scared to death. I had a lumpectomy, then chemotherapy (including a full year of herceptin) and radiation.

I'm here to tell you that this too will pass. Some days were hard, but I gave myself permission to focus on myself and there was something special about the way the world slowed down and created the space for me to heal. I tried to drink a lot of water, to exercise when I could and to just accept what was happening. My thoughts are with you all.

• princessofmeh
    princessofmeh Member Posts: 74
    Options

Yes, I started on the 10th, one day after getting my port put back in. Wasn't bad at all. Long day, but I got one of the scarce private cubicles in the treatment area, which astonished me. Last time, I got one of the private cubicles only twice (in 7 months of chemo!) -- once when I had to come in with a horrid migraine and on my last spa day. I took advantage of the quiet to do diamond painting through most of the time, was very relaxing.

No problems so far, except for being jazzed out of my gourd because of the steriods. 3 more days on 'em too. I really need to go take an ambien, but my energy had started flagging in the week or so leading up to this so the extra energy is nice. I will no doubt not say this tomorrow. Thank God I"m not working through this. Imagine what kind of romance novel my dervish mind would summon up, Yikes.

Anyway, if it matters, I'm on Taxol and Carboplaten every 3 weeks for 6 rounds. Came home with one of the new nuelasta arm delivery patches too, which I am totally geeking out over. Last time, I drove back to the cancer center the next day for my shot. Not this time! What strikes me as hilarious, though...Last time the shot was charged at 8 grand each, negotiated down to 6 grand by my insurance, and in 2015, our share of the six grand was what fulfilled my catastrophic health cap for that year so the rest of the year, prescriptions and co-pays were free for everyone in my family. Oh happy day, yes. BUT...the transmission went kablewey in our Mountaineer yesterday, which was a second vehicle we bought used when I was sick last time (because I wanted 4-wheel drive for rads appointments instead of trying to hike up our hill in a snowstorm, as our primary car can't drive on snow for squat). Only paid six grand for the Mountaineer, didn't expect it to last and sure enough, it didn't. Who wants to bet my nifty nuelasta gizmo costs six grand too? A car. I'm wearing the rough equivalent of a (really lousy) car on my arm. Ooh. Aah. LOL

Did I mention the steroids are spinning me into orbit? Demonstrably. Woo.

Oh yes, before I forget, yes to the dry mouth. Drink up, ladies! Never, ever turn down the urge to hydrate. Water is your friend.

• princessofmeh
    Options

Fac03, I didn't wash my clothes separately and hubby sleeps beside me...when I actually sleep, that is. When you have sex, definitely wear a condom to protect him from the chemicals you will be stewing in.

I'm not sure what a normal wait for chemo is. I had mine before my bmx last time and we got me into chemo at a sprint because mine was extremely fast and aggressive. It's still extremely fast, which is how I ended up starting one day after my port was put back in. Waiting would not be wise, but like I said, mine's extremely fast. Yours may not be. I hope not. Scary fast bc is not good.

SEs, you should get prescriptions for. I was prescribed anti-nausea meds, steroids, and prescription-strength prilosec. The anti-nausea meds, I stayed on for the first 3 days last time and took an OTC sennekot or colace then because zofran is constipating for me. I also have an OTC prilosec for the first day or two that I take in conjunction with the prescription-strength on the recommendation of my onco (who in 2015 told me to double the prescription one instead because of vomiting due to sores on my esophagus). Claritin for neulasta, which I only took (and will take) the day of the shot because that was all I needed in 2015.

Flush twice and while you do that, rinse your mouth with a salt water solution or biotene mouthwash. If you're hydrating, you'll be in the bathroom a lot and all that rinsing/gargling helps prevent mouth sores. I was given sugar-free popsicles at the cancer center during AC in 2015 to help prevent mouth sores, but didn't have that this time. If they hadn't given it to me there, I would've brought in a thermos of ice, though. I'm not sure the medicines I'm on now requires that extra step, guess I'll find out.

HTH!

• kimg
    kimg Member Posts: 19
    Options

Bam, yes genetic testing was done due to my age (40). Had no idea I had any genetic predisposition. I'm literally the first person in my family to get ANY kind of cancer, at least in the last 3 generations.

• robinredbreast
    robinredbreast Member Posts: 49
    Options

BAM320 - I am 55 and had genetic testing (separate from oncotype, which looks at the genetics of your cancer cells). While my PALB2 was negative I did have a variant of undetermined nature that was breast and prostate caner specific. I found relief (peace of mind) with having the testing completed particularly as it relates to my children. It was expensive, but what was not covered by insurance the genetics company did not balance bill me. No one ever mentioned the age cutoff for genetic testing... frankly, I didn't ask, I told them I wanted it done and they didn't argue. The genetics counselor was awesome and took a very detailed family history. When the test results came back, all was summarized nicely by the genetics counselor on a cover page.

Farfalla and MsMarie - my thoughts are with you two chemo buddies today. Hope all goes well.

PrincessofMeh - buzzzzzz... fun to read your posts.

Fac03 there is a very good post on a blog from a couple years ago with good advice. I'll go find it and post a link here.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/69/topics/839070?page=1

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/69/topics/785189

Jahehb - thank you for your kind words of encouragement.

update on me - Had pad thai last night. it tasted heavenly, but I've been paying for it ever since... the gift that keeps on giving. Won't be having pad thai again until AFTER done with treatment. Perhaps that was TMI? Anyway, today is my haircut day... gonna buzz it off.

• bam320
    Options

Robinredbreast - thanks for the info. The surgeon made it sound like under 50 genetic testing was routine and otherwise you could always request it. My test will not be covered by insurance and will be $250. I believe the lab that does it has some agreement with my hospital because the genetics counselor said that if the charge is more than $250 remind them of where you are getting treatment and it will be $250. I figure all genetic mutations have to start somewhere so I felt it best to find out for my kids. Have you lost hair or are you just taking matters into your own hands? I kind of wish mine would start to go because I need a hair cut! I wore my wig around the house today for a little to get used to it. My husband did not notice it at first and my daughter was a little preoccupied when she looked at me as she was getting ready to leave for school but she did not notice!

Princessofmeh - wish I got the steroid buzz but I am thankful that at least I did not fall flat after they were done. Who knows what the next tx will bring though.

Fac03 - Welcome. As far as the wait time, I am sure if your cancer was an aggressive form that something would have been started sooner. I was diagnosed on Dec 5th, surgery Feb 21st and then found I had to have chemo because of lymph nodes. Believe me, I worried about the length of time between diagnosis and surgery too.

Kimg - thanks for the info. Pretty impressive family history with no cancer for 3 generations. I assume that is getting rarer and rarer!

Farfalla6 and MsMarie - hope all is going well today. You are half way there!!

• msmarie
    msmarie Member Posts: 72
    Options

Woo Hoo! 50% done with AC. Went about the same as last time. Had to wait an extra 30 min this morning bc they hadn't turned on the Paxman machine.

I got my wig yesterday and sent selfies to friends and family. They thought I had just done a cut on my own hair. It looks pretty close to my hair style and texture.

I guess the big hair shed is nearing. At least I will know if Paxman is working or not.

I'll try to catch up w everyone later. MM

• princessofmeh
    Options

I'm expecting to be flattened by the fatigue truck on my day 4. I mean, my energy level was flagging before chemo started. Egads. Just my sad luck my fatigue truck day will be the Game of Thrones premiere day. I'd already planned an elaborate menu to celebrate: beef & bacon pie, soup of brown, blueberry tart, lemon cakes, Weirwood oven-roasted slices of cauliflower...Current plan is to make the desserts the day before, less taxing without the steroid buzz the next day. My kids are teens and young adults, they'll help me with the cooking on GoT day, if necessary.

Anyhoo, wanted to mention Amazon's Echo. In 2015, I coped with chemobrain by using kitchen timers and a notebook I'd write reminders in (for when the timer went off) and that system actually worked pretty well. This time, I discovered that I can set reminders through Alexa via my Echo Dot. OMG, this is so much better. If you already have an Echo or a Dot, worth a try, and if you don't have one, I highly recommend one for the reminder function alone. I'm told there are phone apps that will help with telling you which med to take when, but for me, this is much more useful. And fun.

Think of me on Sunday, jiving along to disco via Dot in the kitchen and cooking for our Game of Thrones woot!

• missouricatlady
    missouricatlady Member Posts: 894
    Options

Just checking in, wishing you ladies all the best. When I joined this website, someone did the same for our group, and left this note. I wish I could remember who it was. May you find inspiration in it, as I did.

"I will never be grateful for cancer. But I am thankful for the lessons I have learned. For those just beginning your journey hold on. Reach out. Be tough. Be weak when needed. And know it gets better."

• Gigi-1
    Gigi-1 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Kimg- We do have a lot in common! Big break was due to the delay in the Oncotype test being ordered. My Ongologist surgeon did not order and waited on the medical oncologist to do that. She was out on vacation for several weeks which put everything further behind. 3 weeks for the test results once it was ordered. Then had to wait on the PET scan as it was needed to rule out a suspicious spot in the lung before starting. Whew! A lot of obstacles! Oncotype score results: My recurrence score 26, Distant Recurrence 16% and absolute chemotherapy benefit >15%.

No, have not cut or shaved my hair yet. Plan to do so when it starts coming out. I have hats, scarfs and wig already.

I plan to follow the recommendations and have my ovaries and Fallopian tubes removed but its on the back burner for now :) My family have all undergone the PALB2 genetic mutation test since I found out and I have had one genetic counseling call to discuss the mutation and risk. My sister had breast cancer 4 years ago and they only tested her for BRCA which she was neg so she tested for PALB2 and sure enough was positive. Knowledge is power!

Bam320- My genetic testing was done at my first visit with the Oncologist surgeon prior to surgery as my sister had breast cancer and I knew some mutation was the cause! So I ask to be tested.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

• farfalla6
    farfalla6 Member Posts: 92
    Options

So I had my AC#2 today. So far, same as evening of #1; just v tired. But my hair, which I had already cut short but was not falling out, started falling out this evening! like in clumps. So going from v short hair to buzz cut. Have been wearing wig already, so might be easier. Hope my chemo buddies who had chemo today are all hanging in there.

• Yiyagf
    Yiyagf Member Posts: 6
    Options

Fac03 - I too had neodjuvant chemotherapy. I was diagnosed mid October 18 and I started 4 rounds of TC on November 20th close to month and a half after diagnosis. I live in Australia and I had the 'bad luck' of being diagnosed when several holidays were going on and my oncologist was away. I had bilateral breast cancer with an IDC of less than 3mm on the left but 2.2cm on the right. With the imaging in hand both my BS and the oncologist thought that it was very unlikely that the cancer would have extended to the lymph nodes (which was later proven when the sentinel nodes were removed and biopsied). Although there were some concerns that this was a medium to fast growing cancer (as I had routine ultrasounds done in February 18 that did not show anything concerning), when I asked the oncologist if I should start chemo earlier her response was that if a couple of weeks were to make a difference in the cancer progress, then we will be talking about something extremely serious not likely to respond to the chemo regime she was suggesting for me. That said, depending on your cancer staging, grade, etc, your oncologist should be the one determining when treatment should commence. Side effects are different depending on the chemo regime and the person. Personally I didn't have a terrible experience: mild nausea easily treated with Zofran and achy bones for the first week after I injected the white cells booster, which was probably the hardest bit but manageable with Paracetamol during the day and an Endone at night time for the first couple of nights of every cycle when pain was at its pick. Again, talk to your oncologist about your concerns of delaying the treatment and see if he can put you to ease about the delay.

• Yiyagf
    Yiyagf Member Posts: 6
    Options

To all the April 2019 ladies, hold in there, chemo is no work in the park but it is manageable with some help in the form of medication, light exercise and putting your mind into some other things. I had a double mastectomy in March after 4 cycles of TC, which I understand is a bit less aggressive than AC, and the pathology results showed a complete response in my left breast (no cancer left) and tumour in the right had shrinked from 2.2cm to 0.6mm, so also a pretty good response. Some people thought that I was crazy to chose to do chemotherapy first, but I wanted to see the effectiveness of the treatment and allow myself sometime to learn more about my genetics. Unfortunately it takes 8 weeks in Australia to get your results, and I didn't want to go through a lumpectomy just to find out a few weeks later that I needed a more radical surgery - which has actually being the case as I have a BRCA2 mutation. I am actually writing from the hospital as I had my ovaries removed yesterday. It is amazing what our bodies can endure ladies, all the best for your treatments in the next few weeks, time slows down and then it flies away, you'll see!

• fac03
    Options

PrincessOfMeh, thank you for the helpful tips. I have been worrying about everything. I found out the BC during a CTscan because of my a blood clot in February. I have been in denial. Then when they told me the schedule for chemo, it began to sink in and is getting real each day.

I got a call from my oncology doctor office today. They said it is okay to start on April 23. I am just not sure. How do they know mine is not aggressive. I have prescriptions for Ondansetron and Prochlorperazine maleate. Someone mentioned that taking the anti-nausea meds prior to chemo, but my doctor never told me. She also have not mentioned Claritin. I am going to buy the biotene mouthwash and a thermo

robinredbreast, I think I had seen the post you mentioned and I am going to read up more.

bam320, I am suprised I do not have surgery first. But I was first confirmed of BC after the doctor did a biopsy on the lymph nodes, then they performed a ultra sound of the breast and another biopsy to confirm the cancer is from the left breast.

I just have the port put in today.They told me they made two incisions. However, the incision on my the right side of neck is really hurting and there is a small lump. It hurts when I turn my head to the right, when I look up and look donw. It hurts when I cough. It seems there is a needle at my neck. I complained to the doctor that I have to keep my neck in one direction , he just told me that I should not limit my movement and turn my head. It is scary.

• fac03
    Options

Yiyagf , thanks and all the best to you and fast recovery.

I have been checking with my oncology doctor's office, but when I found out the office staff lied to me on some simple questions, I lost confidence on their responses. Say yesterday, after not hearing a response for several days from the scheduler, I called the office, the woman told me the scheduler was out yesterday. I told her I couldn't find the scheduler on Tuesday either (a day earlier) she told me the scheduler was out also. Then I told her when I called on Tuesday, the office told me I just missed the scheduler as she may have left the office. Eventually I found out she did not even know whom my scheduler was but had been giving me answers to get me off the phone.

I do not know how you all know the size of tumor. I have to learn to ask my oncologist. Last time when I asked her what stage my cancer is. She hesitated and told me it is stage 2 and may be stage 3.

• msmarie
    Options

fac03- re:port. I had the same procedure and similar SE, was very uncomfortable and I couldn't turn my head to the left. Fortunately it gets better just have to wait it out a few days. Only 10% or so have to go through jugular, from what I have read. We are the lucky ones! MM

• fac03
    Options

MsMarie,

thanks. It helps to know there is hope LOL. I wasn't able to sleep as it is still hurting and was wondering when should I contact the surgeon etc. Now I can sleep earier.

• bam320
    Options

fac03 - I had surgery first because I had three very small tumors so there was no chance for a masectomy. Also they did not feel at the time that it was in lymph nodes and were sort of expecting just surgery and then me taking hormone blockers. They found it in lymph nodes so now I am doing chemo. If you have one tumor, doing chemo first can shrink the tumor leading to less tissue being taken for a lumpectomy.

As for the port placement, I was sore for up to two weeks. When I bent over I would have this chest pressure almost taking my breath away. At infusion the nurse told me that was normal and would resolve in about two weeks and it did. But even now there are days that I get up in the morning and it sort of stings but that goes away too. Good news, when they accessed it there was no pain. Make sure they give you a presciption for lidocaine cream that you cover your port with 1/2 -1 hour before infusion...it numbs it.

Questions you should be getting answers to:

What type is it - Invasive ductal, invasive lobular, etc. Not sure if you already were given that.

Stage and grade of tumor? - size of the tumor is part of what determine the stage

Hormone receptor status of tumor? - this sort of guides treatment along with stage and grade

What type of chemo?

What meds will be given to prevent side effects? - some are given at infusion and some you take at home for a few days.

My hospital has a patient portal that I log into and i can see the results of my tests and procedures, etc. I was able to read those and disect the info to be better able to ask questions at my appointments. Don't know if that is something your hospital has.

Do you have anyone to go with you to appointments to be a second ear, take notes and ask questions? It is all so overwhelming that having a second set of ears and maybe a clearer head to ask questions that we may not be thinking of is very helpful.

Hoping you get answers. No one needs to go into this feeling unsure and not confident with their provider!

• Twelvestring60
    Twelvestring60 Member Posts: 65
    Options

Hey ladies,

Side effects sound a lot like some of you. 2nd Chemo Tuesday the 9th. Weird heart from white blood cell count shot. (They said sometimes chest pain, usually men?) Germ jail after blood check. Like no public even with mask. eek. They don't think   the shot quite  kicked in yet so, if this happens, maybe its just that for you.. Mira lax is my friend.. Tee hee. Hair thinning but I'm thinking Mohawk before final shave.  I hope spring is coming for those of you that have winter. I've been doing bits of yoga and exercise. Def helps everything!

Water water.. 

I hope for everyone treatment are uneventful, and kicks butt.

Big Hug 

Dorene

• msmarie
    Options

farfalla, good to hear your 2nd AC was similar to first. Mine too. This morning aside from sleeping in an extra hour, I feel normal. Sorry about your hair. I was a day benind you last time so I bet tonight or this weekend my hair will start its shed. My hairdresser /wig lady is so curious about how my hair responds to the Paxman cold cap.

Lots of love and hugs to all. Welcome to the new ladies. don't think we have anyone in chemo today. Have a great weekend everyone! MM

• robinredbreast
    robinredbreast Member Posts: 49
    Options

Bam320 - taking matters in to my own hands with the hair buzz. From everything I've read, it will likely start to come out in a couple days anyway. My daughter was here, so she and my husband did the job while I sat on the deck. I'm glad it's done now. A relief not waiting for the clumps to start coming out. Hopefully now it will be more contained with short hairs inside my chemo cap (I had long hair before).

Farfalla6 and MsMarie - happy to hear your second round is proving no worse than the first and that your major SE is more tired. Hope it continues.

fac03 - I sent you some links (also in my earlier post).

Yiyagf - thank you for jumping in with words of encouragement.

Happy weekend all - I'm on house arrest with a prescription for Netflix binging....

• fac03
    Options

It was a bad day for me due to the port placement. When I woke up, I felt the two incision areas were swollen and it was painful that I felt I could not move. It got better later in the day and knowing I am the unlucky 10%, I decided to wait it out.

But if I can't handle the SE of a port placement, how can I survive the next 5 months of chemo?

robinredbreast, thanks for the links. I have begun some shopping,

bam320, thanks. My oncologist's medical group has an online portal. I cannot see the biopsy results. I have to talk to my oncologist.

• princessofmeh
    Options

Faco3, the first time I got my port lingers sharp in my memory (of the very scant stuff that does from 2015) as being particularly uncomfortable and ouchy. I was sore and achy for two weeks solid, had the same anxieties, but turned out I'm a lot tougher than I thought I could ever be. It legit was one of the worst things for me, In comparison, I sailed through a lot of the rest, even my bmx. This time, my port going on in has been easy peasy. Same doctor, same site for placement, but I've never even taken a tylenol for mine this time and this is getting my first treatment the next day. Just luck of the draw, I figure. If yours is troubling you, just take it as easy as you can and know this very well could be one of the harder parts for you, that you could very well sail through the rest like I did.

Also echoing the nod to patient portals for seeing your test results. We are our own advocates, ladies. I trust my doctors, of course, but reviewing my own numbers and whatnots is comforting to me. Good, bad, indifferent, I'd rather know and checking that myself means I'm not wasting question-asking time when I see my onco when I probably have a zillion other things to ask her. Anyway, I knew my bc was fast because it came on so fast the first time. I'd had a clear mammogram/diagnositic mammo/ultrasound (regular routine for me since my mid-30s to end up with all 3 every time) several months prior to finding Mr. Lumpy and I was stage 3 fresh out of the gate. So yeah, pretty clear indication mine was fast and aggressive even before I got the grade, etc from reports. When your results notes the difference in growth from your CT and pet/ct, you know it's fast too, which is what happened this time and moved me up the schedule quicker. The good news is mine (in the past at least) responded extremely well to chemo which is almost like a nuclear bomb going off for my bc. Here's hoping that's the case this time too, LOL.

Anyhoo, yesterday was a fab day for me. Took my disabled brother (stroke, he and my nephew lives with us) to his disability hearing which seemed very promising he'll be approved and my daughter (who works in cancer research at WVU) took us to a new pho place for lunch, then rushed home to make a gyro feast for dinner. Daughter drove in late last night because she's going with me so we can both get our hair cut later today. Mine is extremely long now, but I like how it looked in the profile pic here so that's what I'm going for until it gets too patchy and ew, at least. Daughter is bobbing hers in support (hers is also long but she swears she's ready for a change so...). We're also going to do Pokemon Go commuunity day this afternoon, which is 3 hours of walking generally. I probably won't be able to do the whole 3, but I think I can do 2 while still having the energy to make tomorrow's Game of Thrones desserts.

Do whatever you can, for as long as you can, ladies. Yes, we're in chemo and that can get horrid. Mind your energy budgets and do the things that give you the most joy, forget the rest. Live your very best life RIGHT NOW. Take the class, read that book. I'm already making plans to tour Moundsville prison (one of the few local day-trips we haven't done on my list yet) this summer, revisiting Blackwater Falls over Easter weekend, and hatching up other fun stuff for me and the fam too. I have recurrent breast cancer and that sucks, you bet, but I will not allow my bc to occupy more of my mental real estate than I absolutely have to. Give yourself treats and fun stuff to look forward to is all I'm saying. Doses of happy are very effective anxiety chill pills, takes some of the stress off.

• ILOVERMONT
    ILOVERMONT Member Posts: 23
    Options

Even though my hair hasn't started falling out yet, it's getting close. The crown of my head hurts like the hair is bent the wrong way. One of the things I came across during my BC research is a halo wig. I had already decided I wasn't going to go the wig route for a few different reasons and solely rely on scarves and hats but my stress level was sky high just thinking about losing my hair and looking sick...Enter Chemo Diva, a company in Tampa, Florida that will create a wig out of my own hair to wear under hats and scarves. I can even wear it in a ponytail out of the back of a ball cap! HURRAH! So yesterday my hairdresser cut my hair at the scalp into a pixie and FedEx will deliver it to Florida. By Tuesday I will have it back just in time for the final shave on Wednesday. Luckily for me, my hairdresser works alone so I didn't have an audience but you can bet there were tears. The shave on Wednesday will probably hit harder. I too am neutropenic so on house arrest till then. Sorry for all the pics but they tell the story.

• Twelvestring60
    Twelvestring60 Member Posts: 65
    Options

YOU LOOK FANTASCTIC. And, you have a great shaped head! For any look! It’s the smile man.. Keep it going. Next week Im going to shave it. I have some silly ideas to keep it upbeat but, i didn’t know if locks of love is allowed hair from me. When I went for a wig, I kept saying “ theres too much hair! “ Thinner. I have long thin hair. That is great they make something with you hair. Pictures .. like them.

Peace,

Doren