Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

HAS ANYONE HAD BI-RADS 4C SPICULATED MASS AND WAS BENIGN?

Options
M777
M777 Member Posts: 3
edited June 2021 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

Going for a biopsy and consult with surgeon June 3rd. I have never been through this before. I was wondering if someone had this and mass was benign? Even if it wasn't I would like to know your experience. It is very scary when you are told something like this. I haven't told anyone but my husband. I'm trying to stay strong and prepare the best I can! Heart

Comments

• Colleen0522
    Colleen0522 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2019
    Options

Hi there. Well I had/Have a Birad 5 spiculated "area" not necessarily called a mass... that turned out to be a radial scar, which is usually a benign finding, but it has to all come out to be absolute sure.

Keep hopeful as you really don't know, until you know.

Colleen

• tb90
    tb90 Member Posts: 279
    edited May 2019
    Options

Not me personally, but many have. Birads 5 is much less likely, but I see a huge difference between the two on these forums. Even a 4c is still quite hopeful. I had a five and it was cancer, but still so very treatable still. I had a five again for thyroid cancer and won the lottery. BENIGN! So you don't have cancer until they tell you it's cancer. It's hard, but hang on to your hope. It's still likely not cancer.

• M777
    edited May 2019
    Options

Thank you for your response! I hope when they take it out for you that it will be benign and no other issues! I'm trying to stay positive and try to help anyone else going through this.

• M777
    edited May 2019
    Options

Thank you for your response TB90! I'm so glad that you received a benign report! I'm going to think positive . There are so many more treatment options now when it is caught early. Well Maybe I will win the lottery also and get a Benign/no cancer answer. I know that is a weight lighted off of you. I think one of the worst parts is waiting! Take care ! Heart

• bikegal
    bikegal Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2019
    Options

By now you've probably found out what is going on, and I sincerely hope all is well! For newbies looking in, I had a Birad 4C that turned out to be a radial scar. It still is coming out next week and will be biopsied in case the 6 samples they already biopsied missed something, but it was pretty positive news all things considered. Got my radioactive seed implant today, which was a breeze. I took tylenol right after and haven't needed anything since. I have the lumpectomy to remove the radial scar on Tuesday next week.

I do want to say that I have noticed the technique that doctors use when injecting lidocaine before biopsies or inserting these radioactive seeds makes all the difference. All they have to do is slow down! Honestly, I've had 3 done over the years, and as long as they insert the needle slowly as they inject the lidocaine, I don't feel anything, but sometimes they seem to just stick the needle in all the way and THEN inject it or just do it too quickly. Just a little education would help tremendously, or experiencing it themselves.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,907
    edited June 2019
    Options

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, bikegal! It's so helpful to read a reassuring message during such a worrisome time. Best of luck on your scar removal next week!

The Mods

• Calvin71
    Calvin71 Member Posts: 8
    edited June 2021
    Options

was it spiculated ?

• bikegal
    bikegal Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2021
    Options

I believe Calvin71 is asking if my mass was spiculated. Here is the report from the diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound. It ended up being a benign radial scar. This is the report (which I read on my own in the patient portal on a Friday with the biopsy scheduled for the next Tuesday. No one had told me it was Birad 4C or even what that meant, so, as you can imagine, it was quite alarming. I was fully expecting a diagnosis of breast cancer.

Findings: MAMMOGRAM FINDINGS: Diagnostic images confirm an 8mm oval high density mass with associated distortion in the 2-3 o'clock region of the left breast. Ultrasound will be pursued for additional assessment. ULTRASOUND FINDINGS: At 2:00, 9 cm from the nipple is an irregular, hypoechoic mass with indistinct margins. Posterior shadowing present. Positive blood flow. Mildly positive elastography. Left axilla: Left axilla is unremarkable. Impression: 1. Architectural distortion with mass in the left breast at 2:00, concerning for breast carcinoma. Final Assessment: BIRADS 4C: Suspicious Abnormality - Very suspicious for malignancy. Biopsy should be considered. Recommendations: 3-D stereotactic guided core biopsy