Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Radiation in July 2019

Options

Comments

• GiddyupGirl
    GiddyupGirl Member Posts: 196
    edited August 2019
    Options

Congratulations on finishing Kber that is awesome. I just felt flat and almost a little blue two days after I finished weird. I got burnt in the same place. I am ten days out on that spot and now you can hardly even see it. I just kept moisturising it. Funny I woke up two days ago and it was almost gone. Heal well and be kind to yourself.

Prehistoric - definitely sibling rivalry - don't want perfect boobie making fun of not so perfect boobie considering they have to live in the same space.

• loiswb
    loiswb Member Posts: 86
    edited August 2019
    Options

Yay Kber! congrats on the finish!! May the recovery go smoothly and quickly for you and may everyone realize you are not immediately back to your normal self just yet.

• dutchiegirl
    dutchiegirl Member Posts: 76
    edited August 2019
    Options

I was halfway through rads yesterday (25 + 5). Besides being slightly pinker on the left side, I've not had a lot of side effects. I'm a little more tired than I normally am but my RO's nurse suggested I drink more fluids. We'll see what the next three weeks bring!

• DorothyB
    DorothyB Member Posts: 143
    edited August 2019
    Options

DutchieGirl, I was also a bit less tired on the days that I walked. I did drink a lot of water and that helped also.

• prehistoricmom
    prehistoricmom Member Posts: 57
    edited August 2019
    Options

kber!! YAY! Congrats!

• juliesim
    juliesim Member Posts: 36
    edited August 2019
    Options

kber - congratulations, I am so happy for you! I am wishing you a speedy recovery, and please don't forget to take a good care of yourself and maybe rest a bit before going back to being a multitasking superhero ;)

• kber
    kber Member Posts: 243
    edited August 2019
    Options

Thank you all!!

My burn is starting to open up a bit, so I'm on hold with the office to see if I can stop by and have the nurse look at it and perhaps get a prescription type cream. :(

But at least we aren't making it worse!!

• GiddyupGirl
    edited August 2019
    Options

Kber hope you got through to the office. Mine gave me antibiotic cream and told me to use that on anything that opened up and moisturise the rest. Hope you heal fast.

• kber
    edited August 2019
    Options

They saw me right away, prescribed a burn cream that is also an antibiotic and told me to cover it with a non stick pad. It feels better with the cream on it.

The nurse said I’d see some healing in 48 hours and I’m to stop in Friday so they can check me out before the weekend.

They offered some pretty hefty pain pills, which I turned down. Tylenol seems to be working fine for now and oxy makes me nauseous.

• GiddyupGirl
    edited August 2019
    Options

That's great Kber. My collarbone area opened a bit and once I started using the cream it healed super fast. Its two weeks out today and you have to really look to even see a mark. Wishing you super fast and painless healing. Sleep helps.

• ucfknights
    ucfknights Member Posts: 91
    edited August 2019
    Options

has anyone here who had radiation done on the left breast was told my the nurses to hold your breath? So it doesn’t hit the heart?

• edj3
    edj3 Member Posts: 1,579
    edited August 2019
    Options

Yes. It's called inspiration breath hold and it helps move your breast up away from your heart. I did it for all my normal radiation treatments, but not with the boosts.

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    edited August 2019
    Options

ucfknights, yes, I think it is standard for left-side therapy.

• ucfknights
    ucfknights Member Posts: 91
    edited August 2019
    Options

thanks! I am also wondering how many had a CT prior to starting rads

• kber
    edited August 2019
    Options

I had a CT scan prior to starting, and also did the breath hold.

• juliesim
    edited August 2019
    Options

CT is for planning the therapy, I think all of us have done it plus small tattoos. I am doing rads on right side, no breath hold. I did have this conversation with the techs, they might ask to hold your breath to avoid unnecessary radiation to your heart, which means - if you are doing radiation therapy on your left side

• GiddyupGirl
    edited August 2019
    Options

I had a CT scan for planning and the breath holds - I was left side. Really surprisingly easy.

• mountainmia
    edited August 2019
    Options

I had a CT for planning. They drew Sharpie lines on me instead of tattoos.

Today I had my 3/20 rads. After I met with the RO (who is fabulous.) I asked her if I could see the CT images, so she pulled it up and showed me the chest cavity view, and how they know where to target for the boost treatments. I had lumpectomy and they left clips in to mark the spot, which is not something I knew. The RO said it all looked fine and there was nothing surprising, so that was good to hear.

• kber
    edited August 2019
    Options

MMia - that's so cool!

• juliesim
    edited August 2019
    Options

MountainMia - sharpie lines instead of tattoos? Wow so cool! I know it might sound funny, my whole breast is not really my breast anyway and it feels like stuffed teddy bear, but I wish I didn't have these tattoos as another reminder

• Togethertolearn
    Togethertolearn Member Posts: 224
    edited August 2019
    Options

Only sharpies too. Felt great yesterday, really great, today was radiation number 13 and I feel like I have the flu not the fever part, the body just not wanting to move from lack of energy part of the flu. Came on all of the sudden. Not sleepy, just body feels worn out. Hopefully tomorrow is better! What a journey.

• GiddyupGirl
    edited August 2019
    Options

Together don't worry too much about the flu feeling I had it but it was very random. My solution was lie down have some dark chocolate and it passed. I am 9 days out from being finished and finding that the all of a sudden exhaustion is way better. You are going to do great. Enjoy your weekend off. I always felt so much better Sunday mornings. And it is a hell of a journey.

• mountainmia
    edited August 2019
    Options

Has anyone here experienced a little cramping on the sternum just above the heart, followed by hiccups or burping? I don't recall this ever happening before my rads started this week. It's happened several times. It's not scary or upsetting, just odd.

• Togethertolearn
    Togethertolearn Member Posts: 224
    edited August 2019
    Options

giddyupgirl thank you for the comment, it is 100% exactly what I needed! Good luck as well!

• GiddyupGirl
    edited August 2019
    Options

Mountain Mia - just finished rads last week. I had the pressure and random burping - later on I got random twitching in my chest muscle. It wasn't all the time I think it was just pec muscles tightening up briefly. It has pretty much stopped now although now I get the odd shoulder muscle twitch. As someone else said radiation the gift that keeps on giving they just forgot to say it gives you weird feelings too. Hope your rads go well.

• jlall
    jlall Member Posts: 21
    edited August 2019
    Options

congrats kber! hope the skin has started to calm.

juliesim - i feel the same way about the tattoos... especially the one that is visible in most of my shirts. i know no one notices it but me but it still bugs me. jealous of the sharpie-only club!

it's been a week and a few days and i feel great. some remaining itchiness and i was sore in the nipple /boost zone last week, but otherwise i just have a weird quadrant of tanned and newly freckled skin :) hope you all continue to do well.

xoxox

• kber
    edited August 2019
    Options

Arg! The "burn" on my clavicle has opened up and is weepy. I have prescription strength antibiotic and anti microbial cream that I'm putting on, but it's gross! (And painful!)

It's not so much "opened up" exactly as the top layers of skin have simply disintegrated. The nurse said it would start getting better over the weekend. She lied!

And, while I realize that in the grand scheme of things this is a minor point, but the wound is fairly high up and above the neckline of any shirt I own, so I have to have the bandage visible. You'd think after going hairless, eyebrow and eyelash-less, I'd be less self conscious. Apparently the universe has more lessons to teach me in humility and eschewing vanity.

(Insert Grumpy emoji here)

• prehistoricmom
    prehistoricmom Member Posts: 57
    edited August 2019
    Options

kber I hear you. It's yet another blow to vanity and we still don't like it. So here's a tasteless Monty Python reference:

• kber
    edited August 2019
    Options

Lol, Prehistoric! Thanks, I needed that.

Happy

• GiddyupGirl
    edited August 2019
    Options

Kber - I am so sorry about your clavicle, I know it is gross especially when it is more obvious. Did your RO tell you to do saline soaks. My RO told me to as soon as she saw my clavicle and once I started doing everytime before I put on antibiotic cream it really started to improve. Hope things clear up very soon. I'll be making a wish for you for fast healing.

JLall - I am glad you are doing so well. Like you I have one tanned and one not tanned. Thought of lying outside with white bare to the sun but really didn't want to get burnt. Then I thought spray tan but what if they missed (lol). Last resort to go topless perhaps bronzing makeup? Have fun.