Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Gem/Carb

Options

Comments

• Grannax2
    Grannax2 Member Posts: 2,387
    Options

leee. I hope they let me do that if I'm still low tomorrow. We have to be there at 7AM, if I get up that early, endure Dallas traffic and they send me home again, I think that will send me into meltdown mode. Yikes. But I do feel better after having a week break. Maybe that's an indicator that my ANC is up, maybe my HGB, too. Hopefully, I will be allowed to have Gem/Carb and hopefully it's working. 💞

• Grannax2
    Options

My ANC was up into normal range, I was able to get my chemo today. Now, if I can get back on schedule I will feel much better. Death to liver monsters. 💞

• Grannax2
    Options

Gemzar knocked me out yesterday. I slept all afternoon and evening and night. I feel better today.

So I finally got the correct schedule on my portal. I do get another week off next week. Then I start cycle 3 day 1 on September 17th.

• Leee
    Leee Member Posts: 115
    Options

Glad you are back on schedule!

After my cancelled week then I started over with 2 weeks on /1 week off.

I have wondered which part (chemo or anti-nausea) makes us SO sleepy sometimes.

• Grannax2
    Options

leee. Since I don't take any pre meds, I'm pretty sure it's the Gemzar. It says it causes tiredness and Carbo does not mention that. Also, since I don't take Dexamethasone, I don't get the boost of energy that steroids cause. Double edged sword.But, I am a much nicer person without the SE of steroids. LOL

On September 17 I will start cycle 3, day one. Which cycle are you on? I guess I'll have a scan in October. When is yours planned? I sure hope it's working for us. It's been harder than I expected. Last night the lower back pain started up again. Grrr.

• Leee
    Options

I’ll have scans the end of October too.
    I had a really good response (finally) on the first 12 week scan so I’m doing 12 more weeks.
    Would love to switch to something a little easier at some point!

What’s causing the back pain?
  • Grannax2
    Options

Leee. My MO says it's Gemzar causing the back pain but says it's

usually not as localized as mine is. Yes, I said, I do unusual very well. She says it usually causes muscle and joint pain all over. Have you experienced that?

Good news about your first scan. That gives me hope that my scan will look better, too. You must be on your 6th cycle? I know, this has been a harder TX than I expected. But, if it works, I will follow your example and keep going. As long as my bone marrow can keep up with the TX. It's really hard on RBC and WBC. 💞

• Leee
    Options

My chemo was cancelled due to low ANC even with the shots last week.

Not sure my bone marrow will hold up at this point. So interested to see what happens next week.

As of now, I haven’t experienced any pain. I hope yours gets better!

Hang in there and have hope because it’s a really good combo. 💕

• Grannax2
    Options

Leee I'm so sorry you didn't get to have your infusion this week. You're giving me hope, especially your good scan results.

I had much less pain last night so I slept better. I've been running errands all afternoon. I don't have time to be in pain this weekend. Having carpet installed, tomorrow morning, company in the afternoon and my bathroom vanity cabinets and countertop installed on Sunday. I'm in the aftermath of a plumbing/ water claim. After tomorrow I will have two of the three floors replaced. Living in chaos on top of chemo is challenging. I know it will be worth it when it's all done. 💞

• Grannax2
    Options

I got through the busy weekend, no back pain. Yay. Excited about my off week. I've got to accomplish a lot. I got my cabinets and countertop and my carpet. Now I have to put everything back in order. All my bathroom stuff is in my closet, my sewing room stuff is in the guest room where my sister will sleep when she comes on Monday. I'm determined to get it all looking back to normal by the time she gets here.

Do you get an off week to let your ANC recover, Lee?💞

• Leee
    Options

Wow, you’ve been busy!
    I so glad to hear your back didn’t hurt this time. 💕

We’ll try again this week for chemo depending on the lab work. Every time it’s cancelled due to low counts I start the 2 weeks “on” all over.
  • Grannax2
    Options

Yes, there is no such thing as a dependable schedule for us. Grrrr My pastor once gave a sermon on "Make your plans in pencil and carry a big eraser". It's so TRUE.💞

• Grannax2
    Options

I see my MO tomorrow and have chemo on Wednesday. This will be Cycle 3 day 1. Sure hope it goes well. 💞

• Leee
    Options
    Will be thinking of you! 💕
  • Grannax2
    Options

All is well. Finished my third cycle of TX yesterday. I did have the usual back pain on Day 2. And I slept a lot. But, this time I have not been as sleepy. Who knows why. My scan is not going to be till November after my fourth cycle.

Anything new with your TX and SE?💞

• Grannax2
    Options

I just read about another lady who got two years on Gem/Carb. I forgot her name but she is now on X. She has liver mets too. I hope we get two years on our TX

• Grannax2
    Options

Her name is Hartrish. She posted on liver mets thread.

• nbnotes
    nbnotes Member Posts: 338
    Options

I hope you don't mind me posting. I'm on Gemzar only, but there doesn't seem to be an active thread for that. I'm on my off week right now (2 weeks on/ 1 off), and just checked my portal to see if any of my labs from Monday were added. I knew that my counts tanked, but I just saw my liver enzymes - AST & ALT have skyrocketed. Now mine have run a little high for the 7 years that I've dealt with MBC, but never like this. AST is 184 (4x higher than normal) & ALT is 333 (over 5x higher than normal) . Anyone else had that? I'm doing labs again on Friday b/c they are trying to figure out when my body will kick in & restart making wbc & then again on Tuesday when I'm supposed to start cycle 2. I'm guessing they won't let me have the infusion with those levels, but just curious what others have found? The addition of Gemzar is the only thing different medication wise from last tests.

• Grannax2
    Options

rbnotes. My liver enzymes have not gone that high. They are elevated some but just high normal range. I have heard from others that can happen if tumors are dying off. I hope that's the case w you.

My HGB is still low so I may have to get some more blood or it could go back up on my week off. I had to postpone TX one time because of low ANC. I start my fourth cycle on 11th. 💞

• LoMa
    LoMa Member Posts: 19
    Options

My first treatment was Gem/Carb combo and second week Gemzar only. On my week off, I was so weak and out of breath just by walking that my MO did blood work and saw my platelets and RBC where critically low. Needed a blood transfusion. When I was due for my next cycle, I my blood count was still too low for Carboplatin. We opted to drop Carboplatin and just do Gemzar. Also lowered my Gemzar doze by 10%. I am now on Cylcle 4 and my tumor markers are still dropping. Very glad that we opted to try Gemzar alone. Just something to think about for those that are having a hard time with Carboplatin and their blood work. You can always added back in!

Nbnotes - my AST and ALT are higher since taking Gemzar - slightly above the normal range.
  • Grannax2
    Options

LoMa Very interesting. I have been really struggling this past week with weakness. I wonder how low my HGB is. It was 8.6 before I got TX. I'm really thinking the TX dropped it to the too low range. Of course it's Saturday and I really don't want to call my MO. But, my legs are so weak it's hard to walk. I just canceled my plans for today.

I see her next Friday. I wonder if she will want to drop Carbo. My legs feel like rubber, I'm also getting a little out of breath. I have mets to the lung, too, so that happens sometimes. Usually not with just walking to my backyard, though. Glad my daughter is going to pick up my RX and run other errands for me today.

I found another Gem/Carb lady, thriving mama. She's on the liver mets thread. She got about 18 months on it. It's always encouraging to hear that others have done well on our TX. She's on something else now.💞

• Grannax2
    Options

rbnotes. Yes, post away. It's good to hear from you. Actually, LoMa had to drop Carbo so she is just on Gemzar too.💞

• LoMa
    Options

I have done very well on just Gemzar. My blood counts do drop, but not terrible. After two treatments my HBG was 9.6. And after my week off it rose to 10.7. I also would love to get 18 months on Gemzar. I had 18 month on Xeloda and was NED for about 6 months. For the last year I have not found a treatment that has worked. Gemzar is my first. Needless to say, my tumor markers have gone thru the roof. They have dropped over half, but still a ways to go. Happy that it is in the right direction!!

I don’t know if Gemzar is as good on bone Mets as it is on Liver Mets.. Fingers crossed!
  • Leee
    Options

How are you?

I had to drop carbo too - but it was only after I asked about the one week delay each cycle.
    I have been on both but see where a common dose is to do both one week and the Gemzar only the other week.

I would definitely let your MO know about any symptoms such as weakness or shortness of breath.
    I was told if it was at a critical low then a transfusion is the only way to get it up while on the chemo plus you’ll feel much better.

💕

• Grannax2
    Options

Leee I ended up in the ER on Sunday. Turns out my HGB was 5.4. YIKES I was admitted and given two units of blood and got back home in less than 24 hours.

I'm still trying to recover and am concerned about getting chemo on Friday. UGH. Surely she will reduce the dose or drop one of the drugs. 💞

• nbnotes
    nbnotes Member Posts: 338
    Options

Grannax2 -- Hope the transfusions have made you feel much better!

• Grannax2
    Options

Yes they did make me feel much better. I got up to 8.6, still not normal but better. 💞

• Leee
    Options

Yikes! I’m glad you went to the ER and are doing better!

• Grannax2
    Options

Thanks Leee. I went to my MO yesterday, I was supposed to get TX but my ANC was too low, .5. YIKES. So, my new plan is to try again on Tuesday. She plans to lower my dose of Gemzar and remove Carbo. I just really don't think my counts will be up enough by Tuesday. Then on 22nd, I will have PET, labs, MO , TX and Neulasta.

At least on 22 I will know if this TX is even working. It sure is hard on my bone marrow. As you can tell I'm getting discouraged.💞

• LoMa
    Options
    Grannax, don’t get discouraged!! My MO lowered my Gemzar 10% and removed Carboplatin after my first treatment. Finished treatment 5 and it’s seems to be working great - tumor markers keep dropping - my blood work is holding! Tumor markers were around 1500 and now are 490! I was also afraid to drop the Carbo and to lower my Gem by 10%. You will be pleased as to how much better you feel. I wish you the best this week and with excellent results!! Believe in the power of positive thinking - a few prayers help also. :o)