Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

September 2019 surgery support group

Options

Comments

• chaclarey
    chaclarey Member Posts: 62
    Options

Hi Catherine,

When I went to my surgical consult, I met with the oncology surgeon that will be doing my surgery to discuss process. She explained the seed that will be implanted as well as dye injected. This will be done a few days before. I also met with oncology nurse who went through process again as well as telling me about prehospital visit, admitting and what to do afterwards. Before I left they booked my post op appointment for October 4th, where we will discuss pathology and next steps. As for extra tests I am not aware that anything additional has been ordered.

Patri

• cathy67
    cathy67 Member Posts: 411
    Options

Patri,

It sounds your team has put everything together for you, which is very good.

I have not got post-op appointment yet, but the surgeon said it will be in two weeks after surgery, with the surgeon, and then make the appointment with the oncologist. As for the surgery, the surgeon said, after six weeks can back to normal activities. I am not working, will do lots of walking then.

Catherine

• purple-flower
    purple-flower Member Posts: 74
    Options

Hi gals.

Well.. I am officially joining this group with my BMX with implants and sentinal node removal scheduled for 9/11. sigh.

In general, I am glad it is scheduled and relatively soon - at least that's my thinking today. Tomorrow I may be in panic mode again. All suggestions welcome for stuff to bring to hospital, home aid, etc.

ILC momma and baby tumor (1.2 cm and 8mm) on right side, and then doing an MRI biopsy next week to check out small area in left.

Every morning I wake up thinking/wondering what it will feel like after surgery, and then later with no feeling in boobs and silicon. Having a hard time getting my head around that- along with the drains, healing etc.

Ok, that's all for now. Please add me to the September gold member list.

Health and healing to you all.

PF

• JenInMass
    JenInMass Member Posts: 15
    Options

Hi all! I've been swamped with other stuff the last week or so and am just getting caught up here. It's just about September now!

I am getting super-nervous now that I'm within 2 weeks of surgery (9/10). My allergies kicked in last week and I had a little chest tightness a week ago. I got a renewed prescription for my asthma controller medication (usually they've just had me take it when I have a bad cold triggering an asthma flare...doesn't even happen every year so they haven't wanted me on it constantly) plus flonase and zyrtec. It seems like it's mostly holding as a post-nasal drip/irritation type cough and not anything major but I'm so worried that it's going to be too much of a cough and they'll have to reschedule the surgery. (My understanding is that it's primarily a safety concern with general anesthesia.) The clinical coordinator at my breast surgeon's office said as long as it's a cough from a tickle in the throat it's fine, but a deep chesty cough would be a problem. I don't feel sick otherwise, although my chest feels a tiny bit tight again today (but maybe that's anxiety)? I've spent the past month arranging a work project around the 9/10 date and it's really going to be disruptive if we have to reschedule. Not to mention the worry about possibly getting even sicker if we get further into the fall and cold/flu season.

I have a pre-op visit with my plastic surgeon Tuesday morning (1 week prior to surgery) and a pre-op phone call with anesthesia scheduled for Thursday (5 days before surgery). I am really hoping everything gets the go-ahead and they maybe just need to adjust the medications in my IV to account for this.

I welcome any input or advice people have about having a cough when headed towards surgery!

Trying2StayPositive - any news about whether you can go forward as scheduled with your plastic surgeon? Fingers crossed for you.

It looks like we have:

9/10 JenInMass (UMX + TE), Trying2StayPositive (BMX + TE), cathy67 (lumpectomy, SNB)

9/11 purple-flower (BMX + implants, SNB)

9/13 Jlimo (lumpectomy, SNB)

9/18 ChaClarey (lumpectomy, SNB)

9/19 halezma (BMX, SNB)

date TBD sdsgw2 (BMX)

• purple-flower
    Options

Hi JeniMass

I'm in the exact same boat!! I had a pretty bad cough (chest pain, etc.) for a few weeks when diagnosed - that is mostly gone (antibiotics & prednisone because I pushed for it) and now I have that annoying allergy related cough from drip in throat. I am using flonase and xyrtec at night. Mostly it's gone, but throughout the day short, dry coughs now and then. I am hoping so hard that it will not delay things so I'm totally trying everything I can to stop it! Let me know what you find out or any thoughts!!

I have a very similar schedule as you (except doing double) also w/surgery on 9/11, but I also have an MRI biopsy in between of other breast since they saw something small and would add another lymph node dissection to the list. I HOPE NOT!!!

Hope it goes away!! Stay in touch. I am on/off nervous all the time now. Tons of work to do to get ready so trying to stay focused. It's hard.

PF

• cathy67
    Options

Hi everyone,

I am also very nervous, this will be my first time to try general anesthesia, and the biggest challenge is the post-op report, pray that lymph node negative, margin negative, still good receptor status...

This week, I went for the other side mammography, and ecg, chest x-ray and blood count as pre-op routine checkups, all turn out to be normal!

Let's enjoy the long weekend, with your beloved ones. I am still joining my fitness club's class, and hopefully can back there sooner after surgery.

A Happy Weekend!

• purple-flower
    Options

Cathy67 -

yay! good for you!

• purple-flower
    Options

Hi Askmissa

I'm wondering how you are doing now, another week out? Sounds like my plan is very similar to yours, except I think they will do expanders first, not straight to implant, but pre-pectoral too which sounds way less intense than under the muscle! I'm hoping/planning to heal as easily as it sounds for you. Any specific advice now that you're in it a bit? Did you have drains?

Thanks!

PF

• Askmissa
    Askmissa Member Posts: 32
    Options

Hey there! I’m doing well! Wearing T-shirts, able to blow dry my hair with a round brush. My drains weren’t ready to come out this week but have slowed down to the point that they will be ready to be taken out Tuesday when I see my plastic surgeon.

I would ask your oncology surgeon if she /he is able to do the sentinel lymph nodes through the incision under your breast in the fold. That and my implants being Prepectoral we’re the two factors key to my speedy recovery.

I had a scare this week when the adhesive which covered my nipples and held cream in place injured my skin when removed by my plastic surgeon. Looked like little cat scratches under my breast on the cancer side.

Also the tip of the nipple darkened so I was prescribed Nitroglycerin ointment which is a vasodilator as blood supply and blood flow is tough on the side with cancer has the oncology surgeon has to thin it out more. I googled nipple necrosis and nipple ischemia and was scared to death but after a few days it looks like my nipple on the cancer side will be just fine.

Let me know if you have any other questions. :

• purple-flower
    Options

glad to hear you are doing well and small scares are passing. how do you know your stage and lymph node info already?

• Kfmama2
    Kfmama2 Member Posts: 8
    Options

Hi,

Newbie here. I have a lumpectomy scheduled for September 25, with sentinel node biopsy. My lump is about 1.5 cm. Is anyone doing anything special to prepare for surgery?

Thanks.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,991
    Options

Dear Kfmama2,

Welcome to the BCO community. We are sorry about your diagnosis and upcoming surgery and very glad that you chose to reach out here to connect with others who share your experience. Check out this thread that offers Helpful tips on Preparing for Surgery. Let us know if we can be of help as you navigate your way around. Keep us posted on your upcoming surgery.

The Mods

• Lucy55
    Lucy55 Member Posts: 2,703
    Options

I'm having a mastcetomy 16 th of September ..had my first 5 years ago ..I'm not doing reconstruction ...just want both sides to be even .

Glad we have a place here to come and chat !

Hugs to all

• Askmissa
    Askmissa Member Posts: 32
    Options

I met with my oncology surgeon 8 days after my surgery and she had my pathology report so she told me lymph nodes were clear and sent off my stuff to get Oncotype

• purple-flower
    Options

Hi Askmissa

Good news for you on the clear lymph nodes! I really want that news as well with clear margins and not in blood either. i am.focusing my thoughts on that outcome. hoping for no surprises.

PF

• Trying2staypositive
    Options

anyone know anything about the injections they give the day before for the SLNB? My surgery is early so I will get them in advance. Some anyway-my surgeon made it sound as if there are two sets-one done by radiologist the day before then he injects dye during surgery? Asking bc I hear these injections are painful and Im a little worried. Btw even though ILC only appears to be on the left, my surgeon is doing a SLNB on both sides to be sure since ILC is often found in both breasts. Nothing really enhanced on the MRI on the right except what they thought was benign, but I think he is just doing it for good measure. Makes me nervous bc I will have no “good arm” for bloodwork or pressure

• Trying2staypositive
    Options

btw JenInMass, yep my surgery still scheduled for 9/10 as long as no new hurricanes bother us down here. I live in FL.

• cathy67
    Options

Hi Askmissa,

Congratulations! And pray I also got that result later this month!

• cathy67
    Options

Trying2staypositive,

Doctor made an appointment for me, the day before surgery, September 9, in the imaging centre of our hospital. I went there for chest x-ray as routine pre-surgery checkups, I also asked for this appointment. They told me, prepared 2hrs, and can drive back. I did a mammography last week for the left side, which was clear, I requested the mammography myself, the surgeon did not mention this.

I have not got my surgery time on September 10 yet, Hope both of us got good post-op report!

• purple-flower
    Options

Hi Trying2

My surgery is day after yours 9/11 and I'm scheduled to go in 9/10 for the dye injection also. It's for the lymph nodes to light up. I didn't hear anything about the pain, so I guess we'll see.

It's interesting that they are removing SLN on both sides for you even w/a clear side. I have BC tumors in Right side so that is a given. When I did the MRI they saw a tiny possible mass on left like 4mm (which they then could not locate w/ultrasound) and making me come back tomorrow for an MRI guided biopsy of it to see what it is. If negative for cancer, they will not remove left SLN, but if it is they will. I suggested they skip the MRI and just take both sides SLN out and they strongly said they don't do that and don't like to take out healthy SLNodes due to risk of lymphdema etc. So, seems we are getting different messages. hmnmm.. The MRI biopsy sounds awful and I am doing BMX so I figured just cut it all out... but not the plan at the moment.

PF

• arizonaboundgal
    arizonaboundgal Member Posts: 38
    Options

Hey Trying. I actually got the injection during the surge, so can't speak to how painful it was....I didn't feel a thing! My surgeon ended up doing a biopsy on both sides as well. Surgeon never mentioned it, and I didn't find out until I read my pathology report a week ago. I thought my left side was my 'good' side and the nurses took blood pressure using this arm. So far, no problems at all. I'll have to follow up regarding this when I see my doctor next week. My MRI was clear on left, but pathology did find some LCIS on this side, so I'm happy that I chose a BMX AND that she did the biopsy on both sides, which makes me feel like a thorough job was done. Wishing you the best...I know that you'll feel better once all is said and done. It's a stressful wait.

• Trying2staypositive
    Options

Thanks cathy and arizonabound-

PF not sure why he defaults to both~I think its because he is not doing another biopsy of the benign areas on the right-theres also an intramammary node theyd follow in 6 mo on the non cancer side if I wasnt getting a bmx.Not enlarged just noticed. So maybe thats why hes doing both sides...extra insurance?

Also im told with only SLNB lymphadema risk is fairly low-its more axillary dissection where the risk goes up significantly. I forgot exact numbersbut he told me % risk and they were far apart.

• purple-flower
    Options

I asked again and surgeon really reluctant to take out left SLN. hmmmm... I hope that won't be cause for worry later. Will see what MRI biopsy says. All clear in left except that little spot but yes, this cancer type is sneaky so... ugh. Always something. Good luck all!

• arizonaboundgal
    Options

My surgeon also says that the risk of lymphedema after SNB is very low...I believe she may have said 5%? She's a top notch doctor at MGH in Boston and one of the best in her field, so I'm going to take it on her good word. Purple, yes...since MRI showed something, I'm happy to read that you're getting a MRI guided biopsy. Well, I'm not glad...just happy that they are being thorough Yes, wait until the biopsy says and go from there. I'm sure there's no real right or wrong answer; I think because we all were diagnosed with ILC, we are all a bit more on edge. Good luck and don't forget to breathe!!

• purple-flower
    Options

yes! you said it sista! every new ache - feels like alarm bells for ILC. I will be SO glad to be over the hump of surgery and then when that pathology report comes back. I'm so scared of that part and HOPING I get good news there and can start on the path to recovery/healing w/o more testing and things ahead (at least for now).

The MRI biopsy sounds dreadful in and of itself, so I was trying to squirm around it (it can take hours apparently). Guess I gotta find some good guided imagery in my head to pass that time. The first 35 minute MRI felt sooooooo long. sigh.

Working my butt off here trying to wrap everything up to then surgery and heal. Crazy.

PF

• Trying2staypositive
    Options

yes PF try not to worry. I think surgeons manage people and do procedures differently based on their opinion of risk, best judgment and preferences. I also have a very strong bc family history (diff types)even though my genetic tests were all negative and have a bunch of atypical cells in the cancer side so maybe hes worried about the right side too.

Arizonabound-yes that % sounds about right-maybe mine said 3-5% risk for SLNB.

Honestly ladies, what scares me most about ILC is that oncotype scores dont seem to be as useful in measuring recurrence in ILC or effectiveness of chemo as it was developed for IDC. Obviously hoping to dodge chemo also but scares me a little chemo might not be as effective due to ILC having a less aggressive profile. I dont want to go through more than needed or worse, not enough.

• purple-flower
    Options

Yeah, I heard that chemo is not as effective on ILC, particularly in addition to hormonal therapy. Are you pre or post menopause (pardon my asking...)? I am kind of in between, but mostly post, so sounds like I will do an AI after instead of tamoxifan. I am similarly ER+PR+ and HER- with 100% on both, so at least that's good.

Funny, I was thinking about the low chemo added value as a YAY since I really don't want to do chemo, but you do bring up a good point about it being developed with IDC in mind and not wanting to undertreat this all. Then there is radiation as another option so I am told. SIGH. I tried to get a full body scan (PET/CT whatever) before surgery so I could see everything, and you can imagine how that went.... denied. ha. Everyone keeps telling me to calm down and that "it's stage 1 clinically (not per the lab) and no reason to believe further. But I am petrified and surely quite aware of the ILC tendancies to be hard to detect.

Round and round... counting down the days.

PF

• Lucy55
    Lucy55 Member Posts: 2,703
    Options

Just wondering what you ladies who've had /having an BMX are advised to do regarding having blood pressure taken and blood tests ...regarding lymphoedema risks ?? Up until now I had it all done in my right arm .

• Trying2staypositive
    Options

PF Im pre meno-Im 46. Im clinically stage 1 too so they say-similar high hormone %-98% estrogen and 95% pR in biopsy sample. I wonder if they will advise shutting down or removing my ovaries for AI or just tamoxifen. I too was relieved about chemo not always being used at first. Im very afraid. My nodes look clear but of course MRI not conclusive and ILC can also have microspread.

Hi Lucy i have genetic high bp without meds and was given no solution to the bp dilemma after SLNB. Just told if thats all they do low risk of complications each side vs axillary dissection.

• arizonaboundgal
    Options

PF. I needed an MRI guided biopsy prior to my surgery and it really was no big deal. I think from start to finish, it may have taken 45 minutes. So, no sweat. :)

Lucy...Not a single doctor mentioned a need to do anything differently after snb X 2. I mentioned my fear of lymphedema to my surgeon and she basically said that it's almost always a non issue. Like Trying said, maybe 3-5% risk? I couldn't bring myself to worry about it because I had way too many other worries that were taking up way too much real estate in my brain!