Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone regret going flat?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• rljes
    rljes Member Posts: 499
    edited December 2021
    Options

i am so happy with no reconstruction. I was diagnosed on my left breast and there was NO WAY I was going to have just one breast removed. I had to fight with my Breast Surgeon - she was determined to for me to have one long droopy breast that hung to my belly button - I told her I couldn't look myself in the mirror everyday. She finally agreed and I had both removed. My upper back doesn't hurt anymore from the weight. I can wear cute little t-shirts. Life is good.

• helenlouise
    helenlouise Member Posts: 363
    edited January 2022
    Options

rljes you post made me smile. Good for you! I am happy that you are happy.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited February 2022
    Options

Much as I miss the boobs, no, no regrets. Yes, many men will balk at a woman with no breasts, but reconstructed breasts rarely look "real" when naked, so even with recon, you need to have the "talk" before getting into bed. If recon could "pass" in a naked sitch, I would consider it perhaps. In everyday life, with clothes on, it really doesn't matter. Usually I wear a lightly padded bralette under my clothes, but even when I don't, people typically don't really notice. It is also great to be able to run etc. without boobs in the way, and I am glad to have skipped a bunch of additional surgeries, possible complications and all the rest of it.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited February 2022
    Options

Barbara and Jaybird, that was a major concern for me. I had massive radiation, to the point that I have a permanent rad burn on my back. Even if I escaped major complications, there is no way they could have made both sides look the same, given the rads damage on the cancer side. And really, why should I go though numerous surgeries and risk painful complications just so men would maybe consider me F'able? (Pardon the directness, but ultimately that is what it is about, cause in clothes, it really doesn't matter if you stuff a bra or have 'built-ins'.) There is something seriously messed up in that equation.

• jbc3
    jbc3 Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2022
    Options

Thank you cfrank. I have an implant only on one side, and will have it removed soon due to the fact that it was recalled, and other things that I don't like about it. Anyway, that will put me in a situation of being flat on one side and natural on the other side, which I don't see many people talk about in the posts. I considered doing something on the other side, but I don't want to be recovering from surgery longer than necessary, and I don't think I can handle cutting off another part of my body that didn't have anything wrong with it. Thank you for sharing.

I go to my pre-op appt in a couple of days, and at this moment I think I will tell her, just remove the implant and the capsule (whatever that is I don't exactly know), and don't do any fat transfer, and leave the other side alone.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    edited December 2022
    Options

Hi jbc13, just checking in. How did your pre-op appt go?

Thinking of you!

--The Mods

• jbc3
    jbc3 Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2022
    Options

Thank you for asking. It was okay. I will just have the implant and surrounding capsule removed. If anyone had this surgery, how much pain was there afterwards for you?

• jh40
    jh40 Member Posts: 140
    edited December 2022
    Options

jbc3 - I have my natural breast on the left and went flat on the right. It’s apparently not an option most choose. I have no regrets. I’m small breasted so it wasn’t a hard decision because my appearance isn’t much different.

• racheldog
    racheldog Member Posts: 209
    Options

May I ask of those of you who now have autoimmune disease——did all of you have Silicone implants? Were you not offered Saline implants and what are the statistics and differences between the two (feeling, leakage, longevity?).

• miriandra
    miriandra Member Posts: 2,055
    Options

Literally just two weeks before I had my mastectomy was when they had that huge recall on textured implants and expanders for - *gasp* - causing cancer! So glad I went straight to flat. No regrets here.