Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

October 2019 Chemo Club Members

Options

Comments

• sarahsmilesatme
    sarahsmilesatme Member Posts: 53
    edited October 2019
    Options

Kerid1 - I’m planning to ask as well. Like you, I’d need to understand the difference between the # of treatments. I want to do whatever it takes to see my grandson (who is 5) graduate and marry!

• RadQueen
    RadQueen Member Posts: 310
    edited October 2019
    Options

Good morning Warriors, Well day 18 post 1st chemo has arrived and hair has just starting to fall out. Has been a bad week for me our little dog passed Wednesday and taken a part of my heart with her. She was over 15 and had CHF but it still hurts. Now with the loss of my hair and having to go to chemo for round 2 on Monday it's starting to get to me. The nerves are the worst part for me, as a control freak not knowing exactly when and what things will happen make me gaga. I know all the things that can happen but will they? If they do happen can I handle it? The 1st round was a piece of cake but I can't expect that every time. Had blood work yesterday get to see how much of a hit my WBC took this week. Last week they dropped by 50%. Good news my RBC only went down by 0.1 for two weeks. Just have to be strong. As you can see by the time of my post I'm a night owl. I have been working night shift at the hospital for over 15 years now, and old habits die hard. Rarely sleep through the night, but have no problem taking a nap in the middle of the day so I get eight hrs of sleep just not all at the same time. My MO doesn't want me anywhere near the hospital till all my chemo is done and my cell counts are back to normal. He was one of my baby doctors (what I call interns) years ago at my hospital, so he knows what I do and what I can and do get exposed to and wants me nowhere near it. Luckily I have a bunch of PTO time and short term disability, and a very understanding Department Director. So I am truly blessed in that aspect.

Hope everyone has a great day, Stay strong.

• kaaadams
    kaaadams Member Posts: 33
    edited October 2019
    Options

Hi SarahSmiles! Thanks for your post. That fever was weird, but glad you have no infection, for sure. I feel lucky I'm getting 4 cycles every 3 weeks too, as this looks like the least of any chemo I've read about. Somehow doesn't help my fears though. I tried the socks and mitts for 30 minutes yesterday and my left toes were a bit painful. I've got to wear them for 2 hours (30 mins before the hour infusion and 30 mins after)!! A Mahatma Gandhi quote I got from my cancer center: "Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." I will try to live that. I'm cold capping too. I'm gonna be a laughable penguin!!! Oh well, it seems to me that throughout my life I prepare for one thing, and then something else happens anyway. I'll just do the best I can.

Feel like I've moved from my info collecting stage, to a stage of resignation since my first chemo is this Tuesday, 10/22. My DH will be with me which I'm grateful for. I'll be so busy this first time. I signed up for a free dietician consult and an "Urban Zen" integrative therapy session during chemo that offers breathing relaxation exercises, aromatherapy, reiki, in chair movement, etc. Should help! I was reading about the Cytoxan and it says it can give us leukemia/blood cancer! Jeez, I feel I'm damned if I do take chemo, damned if I don't. I'm a nurse also and can't work with all the infectious disease I work with at the hospital. My manager is wonderful and says I'll always have a job, even though my FMLA will run out before my last chemo tx.

Oh well, I'm 59 and pretty healthy. We love to camp and hike. Just had a marvelous trip this summer to Sequoia, King's Canyon and Yosemite National Parks and did many spectacular hikes. Found the lump just before that and had imaging, etc. but decided not to cancel our trip and had 2 wonderful weeks with DH and our youngest son who's a senior in HS this year. No regrets at all. Had a mastectomy of right breast August 30th w/immediate flap reconstruction from my belly. It was horrible first couple weeks but I've healed well now and ready for the next step. After chemo, aromatase inhibitor therapy. Hoping that'll do me! We're going to make it thru Sarah! I'm thinking of the old cigarette commercial, "You've come a long way baby!" We're gonna survive and thrive!

• sarahsmilesatme
    sarahsmilesatme Member Posts: 53
    edited October 2019
    Options

kaaadams - sounds like you’re ready ! That’s fantastic that your treatment center offers so many options. Every tip I’ve received (cold-capping, cold socks, etc.) has been thru my research; not at the suggestion of my cancer center. I’d like to find a dietician as well. I did receive a great book as a gift: “The Cancer Fighting Kitchen.” Thumbing thru it’s filled with easy recipes and more importantly, recipes to address specific side effects.

I’m going for my 2nd treatment on Wednesday and am going to push thru with the NatraCure booties. Even though I’m cold capping, my hair started coming out yesterday, and it’s a shock. I’m curious, what cold gloves are you using? I didn’t use anything on my hands (or truthfully, my feet!) during my first treatment, but am going with the “better late than never” theory!

We’re close - I’m 58 years old and pretty healthy as well. I had never truly been ill (occasional cold or flu is it) until now. I had a lumpectomy; briefly mentioned a mastectomy to my surgeon, but she was against it. I’ve considered a couple of times if that was the right decision.

Stay strong Kaaadams and fellow October Club members. Thanks for letting me know what gloves you’re using.

• cathy67
    cathy67 Member Posts: 411
    edited October 2019
    Options

RadQueen,

Thanks for the post. I am also planning for ACT, hopefully I can get through it smoothly, like you. I am 52 years old, health, but not that strong. MO suggested me ACT due to my positive node. I just wonder why you need ACT, and by the way, can I know your age? MO said, my 52 years old is not that hard for ACT. I am waiting for my oncotype score.

• kaaadams
    edited October 2019
    Options

Hi again SarahSmiles! I too, have got SO many tips from this .org including the icy mitts. I bought Icezinger Power mitts. When I tested them, I realized the cold gel lasts 30 minutes or less and I plan to put some extra ice cubes in ziplocks inside every 30 mins or so. They're the only ice therapy mitts sold with two-all the rest only come one at a time, so have to buy two. We have a YETI to hold an ice block, my socks and gloves and inserts, and ice cubes. DH's job there! Certainly can't blame me for trying-we have the goods! I'm lowering my expectations, and don't really expect my hair to last even with the cold capping, so if it gets too spotty, I'll buzz cut it and not bother anymore. I bought a wig, pre-tied scarves, a sleep cap and a couple hats, so set there too. At least it'll be winter and my wig won't be too hot! My daughter just read hair grows at 1 cm/month, and I read here it takes at least 6 weeks after last chemo for regrowth to begin, so these will be used for a long time after my last chemo. My insurance covered the one wig, but not the Paxman cooling cap treatments-and that's expensive. My center administers it though, and have the system in the room, so that's a little less trouble for me. Paxman rep told me if I choose to stop using it at any time, they will refund me for any treatments not used too.

Yeah, I had to get a mastectomy plus lost my nipple, because the tumor was just under the age of my nipple, plus they found 2 more tiny IDCs underlying the lump. My lymph nodes were clear though! I had immediate reconstruction with a flap from my belly and plan to get nipple reconstruction later too. It's definitely not the same at all ( I call it my "foob" or "Frankenboob"), but I'm lucky to have DH of 32 years who loves me anyway.

Wishing you blessings and courage for your (our) future chemo and sending good vibes and prayers to all my "October Sisters"!

• RadQueen
    edited October 2019
    Options

Cathy I'm 54 will be 55 in Jan. The only reason I'm having to do chemo is because my Mammoprint was high. My Ki-67 was 90% and my ER/PR+ number was 95%. So I had a fast grower. I think the thing that saved my nodes from being involved was me finding it when I did and getting it out.

My MO said that with my Mammo print being high and my Ki-67 being high the chances of cancer coming back somewhere else in 3 to 5 years with hormone therapy alone was 24%. If I did the Chemo it moved it down to 2% with a total cure rate of 98%. With numbers like that what could I do?

I am pretty healthy otherwise. No problems with blood pressure or diabetes. I am overweight, a hazard of living in southern Louisiana. The food here is phenomenal, and I'm also a really great cook, my husbands words not mine. Good news is the extra fat I had in my lower tummy is what they used for my TRAM flaps so I had plenty of tissue for my reconstruction, and got a nice tummy tuck out of the deal LOL.

My breast surgeon an my plastic surgeon were on the cover of this months local Health and Fitness magazine. We also have one of the country's premier breast reconstruction surgical centers in New Orleans. It's where Angelina Jolie had her boobs done so I am lucky that I have such great resources so close by. Also working in the health field has helped a lot, I asked the Trauma surgeons that I work with if they knew the Plastics guy who was going to do my reconstruction, they did, some even did a residency with him, and they had nothing but good to say about him. My surgeon who did the mastectomy's is a Surgical Breast Oncologist, so all he does are boobies. He did 4 years at MD Anderson in Texas before coming to New Orleans to set up his practice. He is a local boy so this is home for him. I had a dream team and can not sing their praises enough. I can say this with confidence because I went to another surgeon first, I heard good things about him too but, he was a general surgeon who also did mastectomy's, would he be able to do the skin sparing nipple sparing procedure? He could not give me a straight answer for any of the questions I asked him. He just didn't rub me or my husband the right way. My SBO answered all my questions and even asked me a few I didn't even think about. Trust me I hit him with a essay of questions, he made both my husband and I very comfortable. I asked my hubbie what he thought of him and he said "I like him", so did I. He has been great all through this. On my last visit with him he said I was doing great will see you in 3 months call if you need anything.

I still have one small area on my L breast where my scar has not healed all the way yet, less than 1/2 inch, so have to see my Plastics guy in 2 weeks for follow up. All other scars are healed. Will have to go get a scar revision and nipple lift some time after chemo is over, but that is down the road, good news is it's all part of the original surgery so insurance will pay for it.

So here I am getting ready for round 2 of AC chemo. Hope it will go as smoothly as round 1.

Blessings to all.

• cathy67
    edited October 2019
    Options

RadQueen,

Thanks for so much info. Yeah, having a satisfied surgery is first step to recover. My surgeon is a young lady, my right side is always bigger than left side, now after lumpectomy, right side is a bit smaller than left side, but the shape is kept almost same, only nipple area is a bit weird,, but I don't care those right now.

I turned at 52 years this August, the month I got my diagnosis! I am health, but with high blood pressure symptom that I started to take daily pill a few years ago. Your post did encourage me! Today is almost 40th days after my surgery, I plan to back to my fitness class.

I am waiting for my oncotype score, MO said chemo can cut my recurrence rate by 5%, absolute deduction. He said, starting from 35%, radiotherapy can cut 10%, then hormone can cut almost half (is that true?), then chemo 5%. Anyway, after getting the score, will discuss with him again. 5% and ACT is a hard decision for me, and TC does not work for me.

Hopefully you can get back here routinely, so I know you are doing great, and I can get your round by round experience, The second round will be challenge, I pray for you!

By the way, how is your pregnancy, is it hard for you. I've read through chemo experiences by different women, sounds like what I did when I planned a baby, everybody has different reactions, then it is my turn, mine is super duper terrible, and it is the terrible whole body feeling, that my husband cannot understand. I wonder how my chemo journey will be. Chemo plus radiotherapy just like another journey of baby birth, only that surgery is the first step. 8 rounds like 8 months, month 2 and month 3 are the worst...

Best wished for your every round!

• cathy67
    edited October 2019
    Options

RadQueen,

Just found your ACT is not dose dense, is that the result that you discussed with your MO? I believe you know two weeks 8 rounds is the most effective, can you explain how did your MO and you decide on this?

Anyway, your protocol and age are still very similar to mine, will be great reference for my decision, if my score backs as low.

Enjoy weekend!

• Kkukowski
    Kkukowski Member Posts: 39
    edited October 2019
    Options

Hello, I am grateful everyone is sharing their journey. Had my first chemo on Oct 17, 2019. Everything went great until I took my first Filgrastim shot. An hour later had severe pain in low back , tailbone area. I was starting to panic with the pain, but it only lasted 10 minutes. Just got done taking the second shot today and have an ice pack ready.

I was diagnosed with DVT and PE (“riddled with them”) and the CT scan found the breast cancer. Blessing in disguise!! But limited to Tylenol for pain.

Due to the history of blood clots I cannot do hormone therapy. Thus the decision to do chemo.

Any others with similarities???

• Kitkat8074
    Kitkat8074 Member Posts: 47
    edited October 2019
    Options

Hi all, sorry I haven’t been very active on our thread. SE are really kicking my butt. Still have pain from Neulasta and it’s been almost two weeks, just in time for next round of chemo and another neulasta shot coming up on Tuesday. Decided I need to cut my hours at work to just two days a week and rest the other days.

Should have my genetic testing results, on my new tumors, back any day. Finding it difficult to stay upbeat but determined to fight with everything I have.

On a happy note, here are my team shirts for the walk next Sunday. Hoping I can push through SE and make it the whole way through the walk!

• RadQueen
    edited October 2019
    Options

Cathy67

Not sure how my MO came up with my chemo protocol. I guess he didn't feel I needed the dose dense one.Like I said for me it's more of a precaution (insurance policy) anything to get those numbers down. Radiation is not needed in my case at all so just doing the hormone therapy alone still put me at a higher risk. Hair keeps falling out but I have a lot so this could take awhile. Bought some cheap fun wigs from Wish to play with. Need to go see about getting a good one, my insurance will pay for it so might as well. I also bought a bunch of caps and other head coverings (wearing them now) so when I'm ready will buzz cut it. My husbands barber even said he would come to the house to do it for me. Its weird, my hair kinda hurts not a unbearable pain just a nagging soreness in spots.

Got the results of my latest WBC only dropped .5 They took the biggest hit in week 2 going down by over half. All the rest of my counts are good with some numbers even going up. So just worried about my WBC living with a bottle of Purell and sani-wipes. Trying to stay out of crowds, but don't want to be totally cut off from the world.

BTY what do you mean about pregnancy? At 54 ? Don't think so LOL....

Keep the faith sister. We got this...

• cathy67
    edited October 2019
    Options

RadQueen,

Thanks for further information. Next week I also plan to look for a good wig for me.

What I mean is that, the chemo side effect is pretty much like that of pregnancy, except for the hair loss. I felt very bad during pregnancy, that is why I am scared that same thing will come back during chemo. I saw my classmates doing well when they were pregnant, so just wondered and scared it comes back.

Best wishes!! You will be still doing great.

• michelle94904
    michelle94904 Member Posts: 13
    edited October 2019
    Options

Kitkat the tshirts are AWESOME!

Kkukowski I also had PE - multiple emboli, I was hospitalized 2 years ago for them, but since we determined they were likely from Birth Control Pills (which I stopped taking immediately) I've been off blood thinners except when travelling, so moving through treatment with PE on my chart but not a concern.

I'm freaking out this am as my hair has been coming out fast and furious the last 3 days (17-19 post chemo), despite coldcapping (Dignicap). I know, they say it's about 25% loss to be expected, but it's still freaky to me. I have really short hair so the pile is a LOT of my hair. And didn't need my mom #nothelpful response to the hair loss "I'm so sorry but let's try to stay positive", which I had already prefaced with the Taxotere fact that some hair loss may be irreversible, hoping to stop the "it will all grow back" #NotHelpful comment I anticipated.

GRATEFUL FOR ALL OF YOU who know it's ok not always to be positive (and not always possible!) and agree it's ok to share your REAL feelings.

Tomorrow I start with steroids again and Tuesday is round 2 of Chemo (TC 4x every 3 weeks, sounds like there's a big contingent of TC in Oct as well as several 4x/3 weeks apart). GOOD LUCK to all you Round 2 Twins this week!

• kaaadams
    edited October 2019
    Options

Michelle949 - Appreciate ya keeping' it real girl! It helps to know we can share all the good, the bad and the ugly here. I worry so much about all the SEs becoming permanent too. I'll just do all I'm able to withstand, forgive myself for what I can't do, and move on from there. It's all we can do. I'm feeling extremely nervous about my first chemo (taxotere also x4) happening on Tuesday.....

• Kkukowski
    edited October 2019
    Options

thanks Michelle94904 about PE.

I am on day 4 post 1st chemo and symptoms started getting worse. I already feel behind the curve ball with diarrhea cuz I thought I would get constipation. Bone pain, congestion, cracked lips, things taste so weird. I always drink lime in my water and now that doesn’t taste good either. Sorry for complaining but this seems like a safe place!! Was going to try to work but will probably stay in bed today. If it stops raining maybe go for a walk. Thanks for “listening.

• so_chickadee
    so_chickadee Member Posts: 6
    edited October 2019
    Options

Hey everyone. Starting my TCx4 3 weeks cycle on 24th. Do not have a clue what to expect. Diagnosed with triple negative at 43. How's everyone doing? Cheers, hugs.

• nanceliz529
    nanceliz529 Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2019
    Options

My hair only started falling out yesterday (day 20) when I washed it. I’m also cold capping, and a piece got super tangled and i had to brush it out and the entire piece came out and it was as horrifying as it was the first time I had cancer. I did feel more like myself again last week though...just to do it all over again round 2 this Wednesday ugh. I worked through my rough days (5-10) and I highly do not recommend this. I did select a free wig this week from wigsandwishes.org. I don’t live near a salon though and I wanted to make sure it was going to look good so I selected a couple I liked from some links they sent me, I found a store that carried them and went to try them on, chose one and they’re just going to mail it. Just an option if anyone needs it! Hope everyone’s feeling better this week

• frmthahart
    frmthahart Member Posts: 59
    edited October 2019
    Options

Hi All! I have been following your thread and just wanted to let you know that you can do this! You WILL get through it! Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate some more! Loosing the hair is pretty hard.....not knowing if it will come back is even harder. I wish you didn't have to experience that! I wish none of us had to experience anything on this crazy ride called cancer!

I am from the Oct/Nov 2018 groups, so I am currently reaching all my 1 year marks. At this time last year, I honestly couldn't see me where I am now. I had TCHP x6 with a year of HP. I will have my last HP next week. Hang in there and keep supporting each other. My group is truly my secret weapon. They have become my dearest friends and greatest support. Together, we are stronger! Fists up - you got this!

• Kkukowski
    edited October 2019
    Options

Thanks for the encouragement post one year!! It so helps me, as yesterday and today I was so miserable I couldn’t see beyond an hour. I am actually starting to feel a little better now, and this is post day 5 of first chemo. I can’t imagine doing this again, but will need to power thru it in a couple more weeks. Haven’t thought much about the hair loss these last two days but that will also come. I did crochet three caps for myself before I started chemo.

• aogg
    aogg Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2019
    Options

Hi all - starting my chemo treatment on 10/29 - 4 cycles of TC every 3 weeks. I had thought I would just be doing surgery and radiation, but then had an Oncotype of 29. Got that test back last week and have been trying to accept things since then. I am 44.

Overall, I feel good about my MO and her team. Had my chemo education session with the nurse yesterday; went and bought supplies after work today. Getting mentally ready for next week now.

• michelle94904
    edited October 2019
    Options

AOGG we are nearly twins. Good luck - I too was shocked by the last-minute addition of Chemo after my 29 Oncotype score came back, chemo was not what anyone thought would be in my treatment. Just did round 2 today. Chemo sucks. My chemo class and the folder they sent me home with has been so helpful - as have the nurses for my frequent "is this normal? What should I do?" calls. Glad you got supplies, the list on here is so helpful and I have used every single thing I bought. Needing a 2nd bottle of mouthwash this week.

Frmthahart thanks for your words of encouragement! Congratulations on reaching the one year mark, I bet that feels great. I agree hydrating has been the key to getting through chemo as best as I can.

I finished round 2 of chemo today, halfway there (not counting the SEs). TC 4 every 3 weeks apart. When my friends asked me how I'm feeling, I'm telling them I feel like David Banner, just waiting for the Incredible Hulk to erupt from my skin from all the steroids and poison I've ingested. Had the usual flushed cheeks and 99 fever, Benadryl is helping.

Call out to Rebecca's Sister if you're lurking - hope you have an easy first chemo treatment this Thursday. Let me know if there's any questions I can answer - Rebecca has my phone & email, but this group knows way more than me!

xoxo to all. Medicating

• DMHGF
    DMHGF Member Posts: 8
    edited October 2019
    Options

Hi All

I have been pretty absent lately. Busy between treatment and catching up with life after it takes me out of the game haha But tonight I am catching up on all of your posts!

Round 2 of chemo in the books today. Another step closer to the end and I went by myself this time. Treatment days have been pretty good, just tiring. I had worse days after the Neulasta injection...like I was hit by a truck while sick with the flu. Not much fun and it lasted for days even though I took Claritin. It's stuck on now, waiting to deploy again tomorrow and the SEs from the last one aren't completely gone *sigh*

No hair loss yet but I'm prepared. Port access for treatment really stings. I forgot to ask about the numbing cream. Will be calling tomorrow so I have it in 2 weeks!

Having issues finding food and drink. Nothing tastes normal. I am a huge water drinker and have had to add a small amount of iced tea to get it down. It just tastes awful if I don't. Food has just not been appealing at all. I had some nausea but, even when I wasn't, just nothing sounded good or tasted good once I forced myself to eat. I'm working on it.

I've had some great support showing up. Husband has also continued to step up, but I've had to let him know when his expectations of me are getting too much. That was hard but he took it like a champ. He says sometimes he forgets I'm not superwoman right now haha.

How is everyone else holding up?? I hope for strength and healing for everyone who has been so honest and supportive on here. You are all heros! ((Hugs)) all around !!

• RadQueen
    edited October 2019
    Options

Hi Guys, just a quick check in. Day 4 post 2nd AC chemo. So far so good. Did the same as last time drank 2 Lt. of water prior to infusion went home took nausea meds ate a ham sandwich ( was hungry this time) went to bed. Hubbie woke me up every hour to drink at least 8oz of water, would drink go pee get back into bed. By 8pm urin was clear. Get out Red Devil !!! Kept taking nausea meds every 6 hr and drinking lots of fluids, going between water and power aide. Woke up next morning had some tea and toast everything going good. Still trying to drink extra fluids. Had a good lunch with no nausea and a light dinner. Still taking the nausea meds every 6 hours. The meds do make you sleepy but I figure my body could use the rest. Now day 4 post infusion no nausea not taking the meds, just a little tired. Hair still falling out like crazy, I probably will go have it buzzed next week.

This is just a quick check in to let everyone know how it's going for me. I can't help but feel that the SE are going to catch up to me sooner or later. I haven't had to take neulasta yet, and hope that I won't have to after reading about it's SE.

Keep the faith sisters we got this.

• cathy67
    edited October 2019
    Options

RadQueen,

Thanks for the update! Hopefully your 3rd and 4th rounds also go smooth, sounds T is easier than AC.

• Lschaack
    Lschaack Member Posts: 6
    edited October 2019
    Options

cyathea

thanks for understanding and your kind response. I just finished treatment #2 yesterday - changing up a few of my med's this time. Dr suggested spreading out my dexamethisone over more days since it is highly likely my headaches were caused by my anti nausea meds. And the.dexamethisone also helps with that. Only time will tell.

• martaj
    martaj Member Posts: 307
    edited October 2019
    Options

Hi all,

Just finished up 12 infusions of Taxol and carbopatin, along with every three weeks trial drug. Start AC (red devil) in 2 weeks. Yes I'm bald, had lots of skin issues, nail issues, mild nausea at times, and body aches toward end of treatment. I'm triple neg stage 3, last ultrasound showed no more tumor, after AC, surgery, radiation. Not looking forward to AC but I tolerated the first phase ok, so bring it on and get it over with. Want my life back. Went to a great retreat yesterday put on by Women and Infants Hospital cancer. Called Mindfulness. Great speakers and hands on activity. It was like East meets West medicine. Very very good. Now to incorperate it all in the tradition chemo. Stress relaxation, jin shi jyutsu, yoga ect.

• kaaadams
    edited October 2019
    Options

Hi my sisters in October chemo club,

Your experiences really help to keep a perspective, and wonderful to hear from sisters one year out too. I've had Taxotere/Cytoxan x1 now, I'm 4 days out. I'm so wired from the Dexamethasone 8 mg they prescribe to control nausea! I felt really jittery yesterday from it, and it disrupted my sleep quite a bit last two nights. It really helped to take a long walk yesterday with our doggie in our local state park. The fall color's peaking here and the nature really helps me relax. Trying to soak that in for my mental health now, before the gray/brown, long blah winter begins. Started the dexamethasone 8mg the day before TC and today is the last dose till next round in 3 weeks. I took Compazine 10 mg for nausea the first day only, and have had a normal appetite, so the dexa seems to work for that. I'll be glad to be over it though and maybe sleep better. The Neulasta was weird-had the little box on my arm and it deployed fine with all the lights and beeps. It was cold though, and I had to check that it wasn't wet. Luckily, it wasn't leaking. It was giving me quite a bit of achiness in my hips, back, ribs yesterday and last night though and woke up often. Tylenol helped minimally. Think I'll try Aleve tonight.

Anyway, no allergic reaction to the first Taxotere, thank goodness. A nurse friend of mine had that the second time with TC, said it was pretty scary, but they handled the emergency very well and changed her to another chemo. They had to stick me 5 times to get a decent IV for it though! My nurses agreed if they couldn't get it the fifth stick, we'd ask the MO for a port. Luckily, we didn't have to and we know where to go next time! I went all out and did the cooling cap, Icezinger Power mitts and Natra cold socks too. It would've been impossible without my husband changing these out every 30 minutes. The nurse told me I needed an electric blanket to keep my core warm and that worked really well. The time went very fast. The worst thing was a bad headache the entire time. I had it before cold capping (steroids?, stress?) and it continued the entire time. My nurses and dietician recommendations were 3 liters of water daily. I'm thinking this really helps, and no taste changes yet. I fill up a 1 liter big slurp with ice and water 3 x day and sip all day.

I'm hoping we all can encourage each other through the winter blahs sisters! Please share any tips and hang in there-Life is Good!

• michelle94904
    edited October 2019
    Options

Ugh - last night‘s “sleep” (3rd night after Chemo) sucked - and I already am ready to crawl under a rock today (Day4 post chemo)

Forcing myself to take the dog on a nature walk then considering going to the Rec center to soak in the hot tub to ease the Legos out from my shoulders and neck (seriously!?!) My mind is in a fog

Hydrating internally and externally helps me. As does knowing I am not alone Sending strength and mental fortitude to you all, dear October warriors

• kaaadams
    edited October 2019
    Options

Oh dear Michelle, sounds bad. I'm expecting mine to get worse with each chemo, as I hear the SEs are cumulative. Thank you for the idea of the hot tub. We have one at my wellness center that I never use and sounds like I'll need it. Legos hurt like hell, as most mothers know, when you come down with your knee on one of them trying to pick the things up! My first chemo I really felt like was a blur and I'm feeling the fog. Sending you healing power. Hang in there sister.

"Tiffany's Twenty Terrific Tips for Taxotere" thread was an excellent resource for my stock up on chemo readiness. She talks about the Zofran for prevention of nausea and the hydration that's really important. I got IV Aloxi with my first chemo to prevent nausea and vomiting and have had only one AM, day after chemo, with slight nausea when I had to take Compazine and no vomiting so far.