Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Tissue Expander Rotated

Luckymomof4
Luckymomof4 Member Posts: 4

I am 4 weeks post op from a bilateral mastectomy with TEs. I had my second fill yesterday and my rightTE today has shifted/rotated completely. I felt a pop and some pain and immediately knew something was wrong. I did contact my PS who said it’s not an emergency but he will see me Wednesday (that’s when he does clinics at Moffitt) Has anyone had this happen nd what was the solution if any? The magnet used to be at the top of my breast and is now at the bottom, most of the liquid has risen to the top and pushed into my upper chest near my collarbone....the bottom below the incision is flat and with little saline. I am completely lopsided and have a marginal amount of pain (just when I was feeling a little like ,self again🙁)

I admittedly am freaking about the possibility of another surgery so soon. Anyone have any input?

Comments

• ipenelope
    ipenelope Member Posts: 233
    edited October 2019

Lucky- I sadly can't offer you advice on your situation but I'm sorry to hear your having you go through it! I hope your PS can resolve the issue without surgery!! I've heard of implants flipping over but not rotating maybe they'll be able to rotate it back where it's supposed to be. Thoughts with you!!

~Katie💗

• Luckymomof4
    edited October 2019

Katie

Thank you so much for your kind thoughts and words! I guess we will see what happens next when I meet w him. I was hoping someone else had insight.

• beachbunny
    beachbunny Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2019

Hi Lucky,

Don’t know if this will help but I just logged in to find “expander experience and there’s few of us posting so I’ll share with you. First, I’m sorry you felt pain but my PS saw me last week and I’m reassured that it’s not that unusual for an expander to move but they are completely contained (don’t puncture) so unlikely to leak.

He has now manipulated (with his hand) my right one twice in his office after it flipped. Did not hurt, though felt weird and a bit uncomfortable for a few minutes. The back flipped to the front so the magnet was inaccessible until he flipped it back. The first time was after the radiation oncologist had 300 cc’s removed after full expansion because of the angle of obstruction. Sometime that month the de-expanded right one flipped. Wasn’t urgent in my case and I was relieved he could do it in the office. Added 200 cc’s saline then.

Paused for a couple of months to have a kidney issue treated. Appointment with PS was last week and sure enough, the pesky right one had flipped again in my sleep. It was more full, but he flipped it in half the time during my office exam, then filled it up. He’ll check me in 2 months and schedule surgery for the implants in March.

So, when it flipped again on Friday night I was pretty dismayed. Sunday I slathered on Aquaphor to give my post-radiation skin an extra moisturizing treatment. And this morning I deliberately lay on my side/stomach and gently massaged the right one. Sure enough, gravity worked for me this time - it flipped back! It’s ok, looks like it should and is more comfortable.

“Do not try this at home”. Seriously, I would always recommend calling your plastic surgeon to pop in for a quick flip, as I was about to do, but after two flips I knew what it felt like and I think I knew when to stop. I am shocked it went back so I don’t have to make an appointment. I think he said it happens about 20% of the time, and they’re all trained to fix it.
    Go Wednesday. Don’t worry. And if anyone here has suggestions on how to sleep on our backs without rolling over, please post.
    Hope this helped, Lucky.

• Luckymomof4
    edited January 2020

I just saw this and wanted to say thank you so much for the reply! We did flip mine back into position but it rotated right back before I even left the hospital! I rotated it my self once but again it rotated right back and is so uncomfortable when it moves that I just said screw it! I’m scheduled for surgery next Friday for the exchange. I am worried I’ll be more likely to encapsulate or something w the implants but I’ll take it as it comes. Wishing you the best of luck!!