Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Long time stage 1 survivors

Options
2»

Comments

• priss1
    priss1 Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2022
    Options

Hi. I'm 8 years out with Stage I. 2 small tumors, IDC and DCIS, right breast. Lumpectomy followed by 6 weeks radiation. Hormone treatment with tamoxifen, followed by letrozole, (I'm post-menopausal) ending a total of 7 years of therapy last year. Did not have any problems or side effects with either drug. All the best to you!

• mamasha
    mamasha Member Posts: 10
    edited January 2023
    Options

I celebrated my 6th anniversary on Dec 16th. This year it was in a Friday afternoon just like it was in 2016. Even after all these years, I remember getting the call and my doctor asked if I could talk and I knew.

I still come back to this website because it helped me so much in the early years. I still get scared and come back to old friends

• veeder14
    veeder14 Member Posts: 271
    edited January 2023
    Options

Mamasha,

Congratulations on your 6th Anniversary and thanks for coming back to tell us.

• prahan
    prahan Member Posts: 58
    edited January 2023
    Options

Congratulations and much appreciated 👍 .

• mamasha
    mamasha Member Posts: 10
    edited January 2023
    Options

veeder14 congrats to you too! You just hit the big five year mark!!! Many many decades of continued good heath💕

• tmh0921
    tmh0921 Member Posts: 518
    edited January 2023
    Options

Hi!

I’m 23 years out from my stage IB diagnosis, in 1999 at the age of 27. I was diagnosed with IDC again in 2019, almost 20 years after the first diagnosis. It was a new primary, not a recurrence, this time stage IIA. I’m now 23 years from my first diagnosis and almost 4 years (in May) from my second diagnosis. Currently NED.

Tracy

(See below for stats and treatments)

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363
    edited January 2023
    Options

I have been NED going on year 12, diagnosed with 1cm IDC and 1cm ILC er+ pr- her2-, no nodes.

• windingshores
    windingshores Member Posts: 160
    edited January 2023
    Options

8 years since 2/15....1.5cm, mixed ductal and lobular, grade 2/3, focal lymphovascular invasion but no nodes, highish ki67%, strong ER/PR, HER2 positive then equivocal then negative.. Oncotype 8 with recurrence risk 6% on meds. Did 5 years Femara after two mastectomies. No radiation or chemo. Stopped meds after Breast Cancer Index indicated no further benefit. Also did Prosigna Assay. Risk continues to go up for hormonal cancers. Risk now 6-10% according to the various tests.

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363
    edited January 2023
    Options

I know the distress well, my knees went weak when my ultrasound and MRI couldn't determine the mass in my gallbladder. Thankfully they removed my gallbladder and now we know the mass was a gall stone.

I try to tell myself it was a good thing to find any anomalies ASAP but you can't control the nervous shock of they found something.

• prahan
    edited April 2023
    Options

Bump

• prahan
    Options

Bump

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,792
    edited June 2023
    Options

Prahan,

May I, gently, point out that long term survivors of stage 1 breast cancer have more likely than not stopped posting on a breast cancer support forum? There are a few members who do check in occasionally but most have gone on to live their lives with bc no longer a focal point. To get a better picture of long term survival at stage 1, look for medical research not anecdotes.

• pure0323
    pure0323 Member Posts: 16
    Options

Just checking back in….12 years!

• salamander2023
    salamander2023 Member Posts: 4
    Options

yeah! 💞 Hope I join your status some day.
    5 months!

• kksmom3
    kksmom3 Member Posts: 101
    Options

5 year survivor, stage 1A, as of today. 5 years ago today was so horrible, but now, I rarely think about it. Well, sometimes. Like today!

• salamander2023
    salamander2023 Member Posts: 4
    Options

Did you take tamoxifen?

• l8blmr
    l8blmr Member Posts: 78
    Options

I am 5+ years NED. In May, my MO added 2 more years of anastrozole. I'm ok with that; it's my security blanket. I'll need advice/encouragement when I go off the AI in 2025. Best wishes to everyone at whatever stage you are in the journey.

• kksmom3
    kksmom3 Member Posts: 101
    Options

Salamander, I took 3 years of letrozole. I started having an issue with it, and my MO took me off. She said 3 years was more than enough.

• dreaming
    dreaming Member Posts: 219
    Options

30 years, diagnosed as a young mom,wife, positive hormonal, Lubular invasive, Stage 1 ductal, Radical masectomy, 18 lymph removed, all negative.

1 year chemo twice a months ,by drip ,dense slow.

My problem now are my scars that are active, painful and itch. My doctor told me too much collagen.

Any has this problem?

• purplecat
    purplecat Member Posts: 226
    Options

5 years, officially, as of this morning. Mammogram just came back clean. I’ve had a lot of issues from treatment’s side effects, but thankfully, no recurrence.

• prahan
    Options

Congratulations for your 5 year mark. Keep Going

• bucky317
    bucky317 Member Posts: 178
    Options

Hi, about once a year or so I check in , but don’t go on as regularly as I did when first diagnosed and for the first 5 years or so. It’s been 13 years since diagnosis! Finished 10+ years of Anastrazole over a year ago, besides chemo and bilateral mastectomy.

Thankful everyday !

• prahan
    Options

Thanks for coming back and giving hope