Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Possible Bone Mets——how do I prepare?

Options
2»

Comments

• KBeee
    KBeee Member Posts: 695
    edited January 2020
    Options

inflammation and degeneration are terms used in arthritis. I would assume that until proven otherwise. I am glad they are following up to give you more information. Ask for pros/cops of CT vs MRI...... which would give more info. Do keep us posted.

• berries
    berries Member Posts: 80
    edited January 2020
    Options

GreenEyes81, how are you doing?

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,942
    edited January 2020
    Options

She hasn't posted since January 10th.

• notbrokenjustbent
    notbrokenjustbent Member Posts: 326
    edited January 2020
    Options

Ah jeez, I have been reading this thread and was hoping for a happy ending. I hope GreenEyes posts with an update.

I have had pain in my upper arm for 5 or 6 weeks now. I have back issues and not suppose to lift more than 10 lbs so it can't be muscular, plus I have no muscle tone given my limitations so when I try to identify the location it is easy to feel the bone and that is when the pain originates. It is deep and aching. I have a high tolerance for pain but I would define it as a 4 out of 10 and enough to wake me up from sound sleep.

I have not called my MO as she will want tests and I have been exposed to so much radiation in my life. I hate to get dosed again only to find it is nothing and goes away on its own. I would love an MRI but because of the expense I know the drill. First x-ray and then CT.

Any thoughts are appreciated but my question for the group is.....would a dexa show mets? I know like an X-ray it would not be the best test but just wonder if mets are advanced if they might show. I just had a dexa 3 months ago so I wondered if that might help put my mind at ease. Likely I will need to call MO. Because of the pain it is difficult to get my mind of BC.

• piggy99
    piggy99 Member Posts: 183
    edited January 2020
    Options

NotBrokenJustBent, a dexa scan would not show mets, because it only looks at a handful of places in your body and the upper arm is not one of them.

I think it would be worth setting up an appointment with your MO. While there could be lots of non-cancer reasons for the pain, including degenerative disease (especially if you are/were on anti-hormonal treatment), seems like your symptoms are sufficiently serious to warrant a checkup - you've had this pain for 6 weeks, it's bad enough to wake you from sleep and it's painful to the touch. An X-ray would be easy to get and pretty sensitive to pick-up a bone lesion, especially in the arm, where there aren't a lot of overlapping structures that make X-rays more difficult to read.

I'm hoping it's nothing serious. Best of luck, and let us know how it goes.

• GreenEyes81
    GreenEyes81 Member Posts: 66
    edited January 2020
    Options

Hi everyone, sorry for the late update. Been mauling it all over. Technically, no cancer. Just having a hard time being confident in that. Xray showed arthritis and degenerative disease of the spine. Basically, the space between the virtibra is closer together than normal. Saw a physical therapist and she showed me the xray....and said it was not that bad and I should have less pain with PT.

If it's not so bad....why is it so freaking painful?!?! CT scan was clear of mets... but found a ovarian cyst. Not too worried as I know those are common. I have my normal OBGYN appointment that always includes an ultrasound next week, so it'll be checked then.

All of my long list of labs looked good, other then my Vit D is one point from being out of the normal range on the low side. Started Vit D this week...

Pain in breast, no one has a clue.

Headaches are worse, fatigue is intense, pain is still there.

I feel like there isnt another test and I need to just focus on peace....just tired of being tired. Lol

• KBeee
    KBeee Member Posts: 695
    edited January 2020
    Options

Greeneyes, Tired of being tired. The story of my life. I wish I had suggestions. I don't; but I can relate! I hope you get relief from the pain.

Notbroken, Dexa generally would NOT show mets, and it also just scans a couple of very small areas.

• notbrokenjustbent
    notbrokenjustbent Member Posts: 326
    edited January 2020
    Options

Oh GreenEyes, sorry you did not get answers but if you take a step back it IS good news that it isn't mets.

• maryland
    maryland Member Posts: 1,047
    edited January 2020
    Options

Hi ladies, just needing to vent a bit. I've been having a slight pain on my spine, right about where the cervical and thoracic come together. It started right before Christmas, I'd taken a spin class and then went bowling and the next morning I was vacuuming and I got this sharp pain that about took my breath away, I took Ibuprofen and by the next day it was a bit better hurting more when I reached up or turned a certain way. Gradually it diminished, now it's very vague but I notice it more at night, when I vacuum or after I bowl. I went to my MO and she ordered a nuclear bone scan which I had last Thursday. She called me Friday afternoon and told me the scan was inconclusive stating it lit up exactly where I'm having the pain and the radiologist could not say for certain that it was arthritis or cancer. So they are supposed to call me tomorrow to schedule an MRI and from there a biopsy if needed. UGH, trying hard to just put it way in the back of my mind but it's hard. Hoping by some miracle I will have an answer in the next couple of days.

• KerryD
    KerryD Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2020
    Options

Just diagnosed but mine started out with back pain and a high calcium level. High enough to be an emergency and hospitalized. That’s what got things going. With a previous history of breast cancer they moved on it.

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    beesie.is.out-of-office Member Posts: 1,435
    edited January 2020
    Options

GreenEyes, as someone who has 'moderate' spinal arthritis up and down my spine, I can tell you that just because it's "not that bad" doesn't mean that it can't be extremely painful. Mine tends to come and go... sometimes it's neck/shoulders/upper back, sometimes it's lower back, and a new one a couple of years ago was mid-back. That one led me to the doctor for a bunch of x-rays, which confirmed that my previously mild arthritis had advanced to moderate and to one extent or another was affecting pretty much ever vertebrae in my back.

So far I've been lucky in that each area acts up one at a time - I'll have pain related to one area of my spine for weeks or months, and then it will ease off. Then another area will act up. Depending on which area is acting up, I get all sorts of other radiating aches and pains and numbness and tingling, down to my toes and my fingers. One thing that is lucky (relatively speaking, of course) is that most often my pain is upper back. That affects my arms and hands but I'm used to it and it's the easiest for me to self-treat with exercise. Mid-back is scary because the radiating pain can feel like chest pains - when that affected me for a few months a couple of years ago, I felt so awful and after a while became physically exhausted. That said, for me, lower back is by far the most painful and debilitating so if that is where you have the issue, I can imagine how much it hurts.

Arthritis is not fun, but it's better than mets. That's the good news in your report.