Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Radiation January 2020

Options

Comments

• mikamika
    mikamika Member Posts: 242
    Options

Thanks everyone for your advice!

• Melmax
    Melmax Member Posts: 168
    Options

I received a copy of my ct scans with lines showing the area being treated with radiation. Glad they shared. One question I forgot to ask and someone here may know is why do they mark up my left breast too?!? It's one target mark and quite large.

• 2019whatayear
    2019whatayear Member Posts: 468
    Options

Was told no shaving. Which makes sense your skin is being torn up on a celluar level don't want to do more damage to it.

• redhead403
    redhead403 Member Posts: 65
    Options

I am on day 11 of 30, all the marks are to help line up the linear accelerator. I am hating every minute of radiation and every time i leave the Radiation place I am depressed. Don't know why tbh

• Mouse57
    Mouse57 Member Posts: 32
    Options

I have an extra mark on my non-treated side just to assist with lining me up. Once a week they do x-rays to check my alignment again.

I finished day 11 today - so far only some color in the one breast. I am using Aquaphor at night and aloe vera after the treatment then miaderm that the RO gave me. Not shaving because I don't anyway (haven't done sleeveless in years). Showering facing away from the showerhead with warm (not hot) water.

I have large breasts so going bra-less or wearing only a t-shirt or camisole is not an option since we're supposed to avoid skin-skin contact.. I am wearing a cotton stretch bra that provides underboob separation and using cotton gauze to provide interboob separation. Its kind of a uniboob look but its winter and I'm wearing thick clothes. At night I put an older stretched out bra over the t-shirt that goes over the aquaphor.

I had a second surgery to clean out a large hematoma/seroma and it healed up nicely after that after the swelling went away the scar is a depression - the surgeon warned me about that. It probably would look better if I hadn't had the complications - but then it would also look better if I was 40 years younger! It makes me wonder how future mammograms will look - there are also 2 fibroadenomas in that breast so that plus the scar tissue must be a mess. I guess I'll have to count on the AI keeping recurrences at bay. Not looking forward to that. I haven't spoken to the medical oncologist since before surgery

• Dreamer1
    Dreamer1 Member Posts: 23
    Options

Melmax, you make me laugh! I am also a rebel. My nurse gave instructions to use Cerave - Calendula - Hydrocortisone 1%. I am using calendula and petroleum jelly (main component of Aquaphor, which is frequently recommended). After 14 treatments, I have minimal SEs. Today, my MO asked, "Are you sure the machine is turned on?" LOL.

Kimmh012 - you crack me up, too!

Blessedjj - sorry to hear about your challenges. In answer to your question, I can share what my RO discussed today: 1) large-breasted women are harder to treat and often have worse SEs because they have to "push" the radiation over a greater area to reach the target (over angle of large breast mound and over larger volume of breast tissue), 2) fatigue has two components - one is general fatigue and the other is decreased motivation/"get go" feeling. The fatigue "lags" the actual treatment, so is likely to get worse toward the end of treatment and last for a couple of weeks after. My RO recommended staying active, and I have done that by maintaining my work schedule and also exercising regularly - this seems to work for me. I agree with other posters - ask for specific recommendations for alternative creams or strategies from your treatment team. I hope your SEs ease up soon.

• purple32
    purple32 Member Posts: 1,767
    Options

How do get the oncotype score ? I have forgotten. Is it after surgery or biopsy?

THX!

• 2019whatayear
    Options

they send out samples of the actual mass after the surgery to get the onco type score

• Melmax
    Options

2nd radiation treatment this morning and technician already dismissing what I say like it means nothing. They asked if I was feeling any pain and i said yes. A couple hours after my treatment yesterday my breast lit up like the 4th of July. Really hard zings and zaps going everywhere and it's still happening this morning. The technician said "That just doesn't happen after your first treatment so it's just your breast healing after surgery." Well I replied that I understood nerves zinging and zapping after surgery but this is TOO much of a coincidence to just dismiss and say radiation had nothing whatsoever to do with it. I wasn't feeling THIStype of electric shock before radiation. Anyway, needless to say my treatment went even faster this morning because they didn't speak to me as I was leaving. 😂 Sorry, not sorry. They didn't like my answer to their question but my answers, comments, complaints, and/or concerns shouldn't be dismissed.

• Susi-Q
    Susi-Q Member Posts: 8
    Options

The techs I've seen have been pleasant and efficient. They are definitely" all business." When I have asked questions, they suggest I ask the RO when I see her for my weekly appointment.
  • Susi-Q
    Susi-Q Member Posts: 8
    Options

The techs I've seen have been pleasant and efficient. They are definitely "all business." When I have asked questions, they suggest I ask the RO when I see her for my weekly appointment.

• yesiamadragon
    yesiamadragon Member Posts: 343
    Options

I started radiation on the 7th, today was 12 of 33.

The radiation therapists are lovely, the ROs are.... odd.

My boob is red and sometimes sore. My cancer center gives us Jean's Cream to use -- has aloe and a moisturizer in it. Also have some designed-for-radiation cream my mom sent me.

I am tired, but not sure if it is the radiation already or just having to go to the hospital every morning before work.

• redhead403
    Options

Yes I dislike my RO tremendously Techs are nice

• 2019whatayear
    Options

my MO has the best communication skills .

My RO , she doesn’t get me. I have questions , I’m curious about how radiation therapy works and I get the impression she thinks my questions are silly or unnecessary.

I’ve started to direct my questions to the techs . I limit my question to like 1 question a day - because I know they have to keep it moving .

The radiation process is like being a widget on a conveyor belt. TBH Chemo much more peaceful -

• [Deleted User]
    Options

I agree the RO's (at least mine) are odd and the tech's do keep you moving. No one seems to want to answer ? except on the day you see the RO. By then I've forgotten what I wanted to ask and /or the paper with my ? is in the car. Just hope I'm not radiated to death. I also seem to have the man shift -- 3-4 men waiting in the same area as me for their prostate tx I guess. At any rate they have all their clothes on while I sit waiting my turn braless in a skimpy gown. Be glad when this is over.

• mikamika
    Options

KIDI919,

I bought an oversized cardigan to wear over a gown. It's so cold in the radiology department.

• Dreamer1
    Options

Jah, I refuse to sit in the "Gowned Area" waiting room in a "three-armed gown." None of the men being treated are in gowns, at least where I am being treated. So I wear something easy to remove, like a button down shirt or other type of top (plastic buttons no metal) without a bra and also some type of coverup like cardigan or jacket over that. My treatment team offers warm blankets for my torso and my arms - nice!

If I had thought of it earlier, I would have bought something like this, with plastic snaps or velcro on the shoulders: https://www.amazon.com/Blossom-Breeze-SureCare-Surgery-T-Shirt/dp/B00K0Q4TF6/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_2?dchild=1&keywords=hospital%2Bshirt%2Bplastic%2Bshoulder%2Bsnaps&qid=1579852662&sr=8-2-fkmr3&th=1

Finished 16/16 whole breast zaps today. Feeling very fortunate not to have experienced SEs apart from tanned skin. Calendula and petroleum jelly 3-4x/day, starting the week before treatment, worked for me. Also, stayed hydrated, exercised, and kept working. Tomorrow start 5 boosts. Last treatment is next Thursday. Go, me!

• redhead403
    Options

After 2 appts with my RO and she couldn't remember what grade my ca was during simulation. I have dismissed her. Her protege on the other hand is very personable. so yesterday I told him and her nurse that I didn't want to see her. I have been receiving radiation for 2 weeks now. I told the nurse that the only reason that I was there, was that It was convenient and my surgeon recommended her. I was happy with my other docs. Surgeon, plastic surgeon and MO.

• mikamika
    Options

redhead403,

I didn't know that grade matters for radiation. Could you please share just a little bit?

• Mouse57
    Mouse57 Member Posts: 32
    Options

I go to a very small radiation center which is near my home. I went to Seattle for a consulation with breast surgeon, MO, and RO and had the surgery (lumpectomy) there. Low oncotype so I got to skip chemo and am now doing whole breast plus both axial and clavical lymph node radiation (had micromets in the sentinel lymph node and slight lymphovascular invasion).

I really like the RO here - he had obviously spoken to the people in Seattle and answers a lot of my questions each week. They are not in-network but on the first visit he reassured me they could work with the insurance and did all the paperwork to be accepted as in-network since there isn't another radiation center within 600 miles. For followup I can continue to visit the RO, meet with oncologists from Seattle who visit here on a rotating basis or go back to Seattle. The breast surgeon mentioned going back for follow-up at 6 months and I think I'll do that at least the first time since I like to visit Seattle anyway (bright lights! big city!)

The techs are very friendly but so far I only ask them about the procedures not specifically about me. I figure they're not supposed to answer medical questions anyway. Since its so small they don't have a "gowned area" waiting room - instead there is an individual curtained area next to the treatment room for me to change right before the treatment. The RO also has plenty of time to visit with me on the weekly appointments and doesn't seem rushed. The facility is only 6 years old so their equipment is pretty modern.

So far its going well but I'm looking forward to a break this weekend - I will be halfway through the 33 treatments next Wednesday.

• Melmax
    Options

sounds like all radiation offices are different. I wear my regular work clothes. Take off my clothes from the waist up in the actual radiation room. Cover my boobs with a towel, lay on the table, and a few seconds later the techs come in to start. When it’s done they come back in and tell me to get dressed and they leave the room.

• Melmax
    Options

Dreamer1

no SEs!!!! 👍🏻😁

• Melmax
    Options

radiation day 4 - swellin

• 2019whatayear
    Options

As of today I can officially count my remaining treatments on 2 hands. Woo Hoo. We have a gowned waiting area. I wear 2 gowns one faciing front and one facing back. My appt is a 3 everyday so I don't wait with any other people I think everyone else had morning appts. I've seen a handful of other appts and everyone is in gowns (men and women). I have only been w/o boobs since July and already I have forgotten how annoying it would be to sit in a gown braless. w/a bunch of dudes. That would suck.

• LoveMy4Kids
    LoveMy4Kids Member Posts: 25
    Options

Hello all - I started radiation on 1/15 so today was #8 of 33 treatments. I appreciate hearing everyone's different experiences and advice. I am just beginning to get a bit red and sore, and my bra with the prosthesis is starting to be a little uncomfortable. As my skin gets redder and more sensitive they said to not wear a bra, just a camisole. But with a unilateral mastectomy w/o reconstruction, I'm just not comfortable being totally braless. I look too lopsided. I'm looking at bras and camisoles from Anaono (and maybe a lightweight foob?) and also I came across a website selling cotton bras for radiation called Makemerry. Any recommendations of bras or camisoles that feel and look good during radiation? (FYI my regular size is 38C)

• redhead403
    Options

MikaMika

It gives an indication of how fast your cancer is growing. The grade refers to how the cancer cells look when compared to normal breast cells. The grade of your cancer will help your doctor predict how fast the cancer may grow and spread. A scale of 1 to 3 is used to grade breast cancer. The lower the number, the more the cancer cells look like normal cells. Hope this helps

• redhead403
    Options

LoveMy4Kids I ordered two bras from Make Merry. They are very comfortable

• Dreamer1
    Options

Hi, LoveMy4Kids - Both my MO's hospital and RO's hospital stock the Coobie bras. I tried on the Coobie Comfort Bra (wide straps, no seams or underwire) in XL and it was very comfortable. The volunteer woman in the gift shop (who I presume also had br ca at some point) said that's the type she found most comfortable, too. It has removable padding and I thought that was helpful. https://shopcoobie.com/shop?c=coobie-bras. I think right now I'm about a 40 A/B (After lumpectomy my L is about a cup size smaller than my R).

• [Deleted User]
    Options

Today I said something about the man thing and the male RT said I can wait in the dressing room if I would feel more comfortable. Course he gets a good look see every am. You know what? I almost don't even care anymore who see's them. Where I go they want u in and out ( not they are not nice etc). I went there because it's close to my work. I don't even know why people are so wrapped up in breasts anyway. We have been conditioned to see them mainly as a sexual thing and then a maternal thing. When I was nursing the kids my husband was turned off by the whole milk thing. Almost every time I am with my youngest sister and her friends she has something to say about how big her breasts are. (altho now that I have BC she hasn't been so vocal about their size, how she would have a reduction but her husband blah,blah). My niece at 24 got implants because she felt one was slightly smaller than the other! (bad choice-- strong hx of breast cancer on her mom's side and now with my dx). So I guess this post should go under rants but going to post anyway. Today was 8 of 16. I have swelling above incision site, fluid once again but RO wants to keep going with tx and I think dose was adjusted today for the increase in size. Best wishes to the ladies finishing and starting. I have been using gold bond hand cream, so far I'm ok skin wise. My nipple tho (sorry to be graphic) hurts, I applied hemorrhoid cream which made it feel better. Melmax I also get electric shock feelings in the breast. IDK what that's about, nerve damage probably.

• kimmh012
    kimmh012 Member Posts: 85
    Options

lovemy4kids. I got a script from my Surgeon and purchased 4 bras from Anaono for $40, 2 sports and 2 front close bras at $10 each upgrade fee with free shipping too. They did all the paper work and I got them the same week of ordering. They are super soft. They do not fit me as well as I like them too, full coverage, but I am an odd size 34F according to VS and or bras are being made different. I have tried on many bras over the year and seems like every one of them hits right on my lumpectomy and or lymp node scar, disappointing, so a lot of times I wear just a tank body shaper...

I just had #9/19 RADS and still doing okay, a little tingle or zap here and there. Right after treatment I spray on Aquaphor and then spray a layer of Cavilon Spray, got on amazon, then 2x a day I put on a layer of Lidex, then Aquaphor, then Cavilon... hope this routines continues to work for me :)