Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Is anyone else taking Iodine drops to prevent recurrence?

Options

Hi, I was wondering if anyone else is taking iodine drops (I take Detoxadine brand from Global Healing Center) for breast health and to prevent recurrence? There is some pretty compelling evidence that iodine deficiency is closely related to breast cancer.

Comments

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    Options

On what compellingmedical evidence are you taking it?

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,747
    Options

I was just about to ask the same question. Can you provide links to the compelling evidence you’ve found, please?

• MomofGirls42
    MomofGirls42 Member Posts: 9
    Options

I tried to post a couple of links but this site wouldn't let me. It was originally suggested to look into by my sister's MD last summer and I am taking 3 drops a day under the care of my naturopath since the beginning of this year. I have to be careful with iodine supplementation (taking selenium with it etc) because I also have Hashimoto's disease. When I was going through treatment from June - December last year, I didn't take any supplements at all - now in 2020 I'm looking at ways that going forward I can add to help prevent recurrence. One of the studies I found was from from the Journal of Cancer published in 2017 titled 'Changes in Dietary Iodine Explains Increasing Incidence of Breast Cancer with Distant Involvement in Young Women'

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    Options

I found that one too, only 30 people in the study (?), but little else, and only alternative and no NCI or mainstream respected medical sources that recommend supplementing for breast cancer purposes.

• MomofGirls42
    Options

True... I hope to see some more (and larger) studies on this in the future. In the meantime, I am having a lot of blood work done in April and am hoping that the iodine has at least helped my thyroid numbers. There is a study going on at the University of Mexico titled 'Iodine Supplementation on Breast Cancer' on the clinical trials . gov site that started in 2009 and is set to complete in June 2020 that I am interested in seeing the results from when they are published.

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181
    Options

Check out this book - "The Iodine Crisis: What You Don't Know About Iodine Can Wreck Your Life"

• MomofGirls42
    Options

Thanks! I will check it out

• husband11
    husband11 Member Posts: 1,287
    Options

Study completed with promising results:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC66829...

• springdaisy
    springdaisy Member Posts: 72
    Options

if a person chooses to take iodine how much per day? That is a safe dosage?

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,077
    Options

SpringDaisy - I think that's a question for your doc to make sure it doesn't conflict with anything else your taking or using. If he/she chooses not to engage, you might try asking your pharmacist.

• springdaisy
    Options

oh yes I’m going to look into it much further. A couple studies claimant works but...

• MomofGirls42
    Options

Thanks for posting these results!

• MomofGirls42
    Options

Update: I have been taking 3 drops of Detoxadine everyday for the past 9 months. I had a lot of bloodwork done at the beginning of June and the results were very good (and much improved from the bloodwork I had done in January) for my thyroid levels, inflammation and hormone levels (which is great because the cancer I had was 100% estrogen positive). My MD is aware that I am taking iodine and somewhat supportive (he hasn’t heard of taking iodine for breast health before). All I can say is that I feel pretty good and I do believe that there is a complex relationship between thyroid health, hormone levels and breast cancer. I would highly recommend looking into iodine supplementation.

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    Options

Since you are interested in complementary medicine and what helps prevent recurrence, be sure to read the very robust research showing that exercise is helpful, especially for premenopausal women. Also there is good evidence for the importance of circadian rhythms; for example, preserving melatonin production by avoiding artificial light during sleeping hours.

• MomofGirls42
    Options

Absolutely agree! I started an exercise program in January and have stuck to it - every time I don’t feel like working out I remind myself of why I’m doing it and keep going. Also agree that sleep is incredibly important too! 😊

• springdaisy
    Options

I don’t know what to think about iodine. Some articles/studiesare all for it and others aren’t. According to what I have read three drops is way too much per day. I don’t know what to think it’s very hard to know what to do. The next time I see my doctor I’m going to ask.

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    Options

If you use much iodized table salt, you might get enough for your regular functioning anyway.

• olma61
    olma61 Member Posts: 1,016
    Options

I read about iodine and BC when I was first diagnosed. I am (or used to be) an easy mark for supplements, just “love” taking anything I think might help.

BUT I read that it is dangerous to take too much iodine and it is hard to know when you are getting too much when you supplement with it. So, I passed.

• MomofGirls42
    Options

Its definitely a very personal decision - however you choose to treat / prevent breast cancer. Maybe what’s good for me doesn’t work for others.

I was just intrigued by different studies - especially on how Japanese people have much lower instances of breast cancer and then if they start eating a western diet, their breast cancer rates go up. Their diet is very rich in iodine (especially from seaweed). Testing urine has shown very high levels of iodine.

I’m taking about 1950 mcg a day - not a dangerous level and my bloodwork is very good - but I am also taking it under the care and knowledge of both my naturopath and MD. As I said - it is a very personal decision and I was just putting it out there. :

• springdaisy
    Options

It is an interesting subject either way. I find it intriguing that the Japanese take a high dosage

• lillyishere
    lillyishere Member Posts: 770
    Options

Good morning from this part of the World!

1950mc (1.95mg)/ day is relatively small amount.

To treat iodine deficiency: Adults and teenagers—0.3 to 1 mL three to four times a day.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/iodin...I read about iodine benefits and how Japanese women have lower cases, same as Mediterranean women. I have been eating the Mediterranean mostly organic food since I was born and I am realizing that food may be important up to a point. I do believe stress and social connections and happiness are way more important in preventing and fighting cancer. That's what people from these parts of the World have. Mediterranean people are very social, with a happy attitude. If you eat their diet and be miserable, the outcome will be totally different. Also, there is a Japanese island that has the oldest living people, and studies have shown that the elderly are treated very well, listen to, and have very strong ties with family and friends. I have been a supplement junkie most of my adult life and I think I went overboard after the diagnoses but I have stopped all supplements for now because I think they are interacting with letrozole or whatever and causing me problems. Regarding iodine, I have put seaweed in my diet. I am not taking any other supplements for a while. Please make sure the supplements you are taking are approved by the doctor. When I started letrozole, I did ask the pharmacist and she said there is no research on the interaction of Aromatise Inhibitors and supplements. A nurse told me the same thing, they don't know what supplements interact with AI.

p.s. I am reading a book called: Anticancer Living: Transform Your Life and Health with the Mix of Six

Cheers to the wonderful Ladies in this fourm.

• olma61
    olma61 Member Posts: 1,016
    Options

It is interesting and after reading about the connection, I did go back to using iodized table salt instead of the “natural” sea salt without added iodine. I also do eat seaweed snacks occasionally, probably not enough to make a big difference, but they are a great low calorie crunchy-salty snack

• springdaisy
    Options

I had to see the radiation doctor today and tomorrow I go back for the mapping and then start my treatments about a week later. I asked her about iodine and she’s going to look into it for me.

• husband11
    husband11 Member Posts: 1,287
    Options

In the study I posted the link to, patients took 5 mg/day for 170 days. That included patients on various types of chemotherapy. Whether its safe to continue at that dosage beyond the 170 days is unanswered.

• BlueGirlRedState
    BlueGirlRedState Member Posts: 900
    Options

LillyIsHere - I read that same book, "Anticancer Living: Transform Your Life and Health with the Mix of Six" and really enjoyed it. Having a hard time with the social network part, Covid makes it much harder. Also take iodine-thyroid supplement, do not know if will help or not. Years ago I often bought Nori sheets and made my own vegi "sushi" rolls. Need to get back into that.

• Impmuse
    Impmuse Member Posts: 4
    Options

I follow Dr Brownstein on you tube. I can't post a link, but he recommends the same amount that Japanese women eat daily. Around 13 MG of iodine a day.