Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Local Recurrence

Options
2»

Comments

• Jmushay
    Jmushay Member Posts: 2
    Options

Mudstick, thank you! I actually have some tissue that didn’t make it so I’m having surgery on the 22nd to fix it. Also losing my implant and replacing it with a tissue expander until radiation is complete. My positive margins are on the superior side as well. I was just curious about the multi focal because I don’t see many people requiring more treatment because of the number of tumors but rather treatment is focused on main tumor size instead. My MO didn’t think we needed to do either chemo or rads but RO seems to think so because of the multi focal. I guess it’s best to be more aggressive. I’m sorry you are going through this again!!

• kbram
    kbram Member Posts: 63
    Options

Snowflake,

Not sure I would use the word confident. My recurrence was six years after my original diagnosis and after five years of taking Aromasin. With that, my oncologist insisted on chemo and radiation, after having surgery. (Did not have radiation the first time around.) I am now in my sixth year of taking tamoxifen. I still see my oncologist every six months for bloodwork and physical exam. She is very thorough!

Good luck to everyone going thru recurrence nightmares!

Kathy

• Arya44
    Arya44 Member Posts: 30
    Options

Beesie,

Thanks for your reply-my margins were 'clear' in the original surgery. My surgeon says that it may be because I had high grade and vascular invasion. This came back despite mastectomy- exactly where original tumor was (outer ridge between chest wall and breast).

It sounds hopeful that a low oncotype may still mean less likelihood of distant metastisis after a recurrence in that the score doesn't account for local recurrences. Needless to say I don't feel as confident as when I thought I was walking away from all this a year ago.

Mudstick, I agree, although I haven't had a visit yet with my MO to go over the stats, it does look like any studies I have seen are older and so much advancement has been made since then. He has already indicated I will be getting chemo 4-6 weeks post surgery. I won't hesitate because I need to feel I've done all that I can-I find it confounding that you aren't being offered chemo for a recurrence.

• mudstick
    mudstick Member Posts: 53
    Options

Jmushay - I have definitely read that multi-focal disease will sometimes trigger more aggressive therapy, whether medical or radiation. I hope you are able to make an informed decision that feels right for you :-)

snowflake22 - Just to update you, initially my docs didn't think Chemo was warranted. However, after my MO brought my case to the Multi-disciplinary (Tumour) Board, it was recommended. Followed by 25 sessions of radiation.

I start TC chemo tomorrow!!!! Probably going to jump over to the Chemo April 2020 Board shortly. I've been stalking Feb/March/April Chemo boards trying to prepare myself :-)

Take care everyone!

• Arya44
    Arya44 Member Posts: 30
    Options

Mudstick-thinking of you as you start your chemo process, I'm glad they realized it was important. Hope you are as comfortable as can be!

• mudstick
    Options

Thanks snowflake22!!!

First one down, 3 to go. Only feeling slightly off today. Tomorrow I get to self inject my Lapelga :-)

Wishing you all the best too. Take care

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    Options

Mudstick - my sister’s BC came back to the same place as yours - her MX scar. It happened to her 4 years out. They did 33 rounds of radiation.

Diane

• KBeee
    KBeee Member Posts: 695
    Options

Sorry it's taken me forever to weigh in. Crazy at work. When I had my recurrence, I asked about the Oncotype. First MO at major medical center said no way. He was "sure" my recurrence was just because my docs left a few cells behind, and he was "sure" it was low risk and I did not need chemo. He would not even consider it. I even offered to pay. I later met with a local MO who was new to me, but highly recommended, and I asked him about it. He said "absolutely!" He wanted to have all information possible available to him to help us make the best decision. It's only been "tested" in primary tumors, but it was another information piece. The first time, my Oncotype was 16. With my recurrence it was 40! He was blown away. Chemo obviously was recommended (which doc at major medical center then agreed with). I'm with you about wanting no regrets. My gut was that I needed chemo. If you've started, I am hoping that you are tolerating it well. If you do TC, ask about the Neulasta shot if you are not getting it. I mention that because my former local MO told me I did not need it because I was not at risk for neutropenia on TC. Well, I had a neutropenic fever which landed me in the hospital for 4 days...not where you want to be now with COVID everywhere. Needless to say, I got it after that, and did much better. My counts tended to plummet about day 14...fyi...though everyone is different.

• mudstick
    Options

No worries KBeee - I have started chemo and will do #2 tomorrow. I have not been frequenting the boards here much, just too busy with family and work during this Covid craziness!!! I get a drug called Lapelga for bone marrow stimulation - basically the same function as Neulasta. I inject myself 48 hours after chemo. Luckily its covered by insurance! I hope you are well and had a wonderful Mother's Day!