Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Did anyone regret the surgery they had?

Options
2»

Comments

• BCat40
    BCat40 Member Posts: 121
    Options

Hi CM, just wanted to let you know that I too was scheduled for BMX last month but it was downgraded to a lumpectomy due to COVID. My surgeon told me that after the hospitals resume normal surgeries, it is my choice whether to go back for the BMX, or instead do radiation. So the BMX option should be open to you if you still want it! I am leaning that way but will make a final decision next week after having a telehealth consult with the radiation oncologist.

• cm2020
    cm2020 Member Posts: 530
    Options

BCat40 Thank you for sharing your story with me. It is good to know there are options in the future. For now, I am actually doing much better with my decision to have the lumpectomy. But who knows what the future will bring and I may change my mind.

I am SO sorry that your plans for a BMX also got thwarted by this nasty nasty pandemic. It is supremely unfair.

• margun
    margun Member Posts: 385
    Options

Hi.

I had my surgery on August 19, 2018. My left healthy breast had some size reduction to matc.My left healthy breast had longer time to heel and had harden area after the secretions from tubes was stoped. My plastic surgeon in my January appointment said that it is probably the fat is dying and it is harmless. However, since the the garden mass grew and sometimes causes discomfort. I was waiting my mammogram in zapril to confirm the idea of my plastic surgeon but the appointment is postponed to June due to Covid. I like to know if anyone is experienced such problem and if it went away eventually or not. There is anything I can do to make it go away?

Thanks

• Darlene63
    Darlene63 Member Posts: 15
    Options

I am with you. I was diagnosed in Feb 2020 and just got in for my lumpectomy and lymph node dissection 2/28/2020. I am mad as hell; why me???? Why now; I am ready to retire and instead I will be like you worrying every day until I die when is it coming back. They took out 9 (nine) lymph nodes and they were all negative but I got a seroma and they had to drain that but it has been two months since my surgery and I have lymph edema in my right arm. No one seems to care nor one understand that my frecking right arm is numb and bigger than my left and the under arm feels like a base ball is hiding out so EVER time I move my arm I feel it and I am reminded I have CANCER. I tried to talk to one of the oncologist; he didn't even bother to look just said there was nothing to do about my swelling, pain or hard cords under my arm where they removed the lymph nodes. I don't know what I regret. Wait till you start the radiation; my doctors actually wanted to wait till later in the summer because of the COVID and I agreed but about a week later I called up and said I want to start radiation ASAP. I am going to get 20 treatments; just had my 8th one today. I may be stupid but that is the most humiliating thing ever. More people have seen my breast in the last three months than in my entire life. This is nothing to the people in the clinic but to me it is so embarrassing. Every time you go in they want your name, birth date and what they are treating. I have not told anyone about this cancer because I don't want any one to know. I am single, have never been married and have not had any relationship in over 8 years and they want me to feel good about showing my breast to every one around.

• margun
    Options

Hi Dariene,

I feel your frustration. But because your surgery was relatively recent perhaps these effects will go away over time? Still I am surprised that you have such problems after lumpectomy which is less invasive that mastectomy. That is why some ladies want lumpectomy, first to preserve the breast and, second, to have less post surgery problems.

Let’s hope things will get better in the future

• cm2020
    Options

Darlene63...I am really sorry you have had such a hard time and aren't getting the help and care you need and deserve. Are there any lymphedema clinics in your area? There is help for lymphedema and I hate you aren't getting put in touch with the resources you need. I do hope that things get better for you and that you feel better soon.

• margun
    Options

did anyone experienced fat necrosis after surgery? Anything can be done to make it go aeay

• auntpondie
    auntpondie Member Posts: 1
    Options

first I want to say that I think these forums have given me such a sense of peace and You ladies are all amazing. I have till this Wednesday to let my surgeon know which surgery I Am planning on having. I was determined I was getting them both off, just take them away! As of today, I’m leaning toward the lumpectomy with radiation. I want to think that at the time, it’s the best decision but I can’t seem to get the anxiety and fear under control. How do you ladies keep your feelings in tact

• Fleurdavril
    Fleurdavril Member Posts: 7
    Options

Does anyone know if the insurance will cover if I want to have an other UMX?

• cm2020
    Options

Fleurdavril.....Ugh, I have typed my reply twice and it gets lost when I submit it. I want to know the same thing. My plan is to talk to my breast surgeon in October when I see her and to ask for a referral to plastics to review my options. I am clinging to the hope that I can have a BMX with reconstruction next year (the surgery I originally wanted). My guess is that neither of us will know for certain what the insurance co will do until we try. But gosh I pray they will.

• Lilir
    Lilir Member Posts: 38
    Options

Thank you for your post!!!!

My breasts are making funky stuff on both sides. Like you, my surgeon hesitant of admitting me overnight because of Covid. Our numbers are low. And, I feel I want to risk it because there are “patchy enhancements” on the left breast that “they want to keep an eye on”..... I can’t. I just can’t do it.

Can you have a prophylactic mastectomy? Will your insurance pay? How are the Covid numbers now? Can u look for a surgeon that will reconsider

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,089
    Options

Lilir - You were diagnosed less than two weeks ago. What do you mean "making funky stuff"? Of course it is anyone's personal decision whether to have a bilateral mastectomy - and it looks like you do have a cancer diagnosis. What are your plans?

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    Options

MinusTwo, I think she means she has LCIS in one breast and IDC in the other

• Lilir
    Lilir Member Posts: 38
    Options

I want the mastectomy. “Funky stuff” meaning the LCIS on left. They are sending it for biopsy during the surgery because pathologist said an “invasive component” could not be ruled out. (Cancer)

There are also areas on the MRI they want to keep an eye on.

If there is a spike in Covid numbers, it will delay my surgery. Lumpectomy puts me in OR the quickest. As if this was not crazy enough already..

• Mdell1221
    Mdell1221 Member Posts: 1
    Options

I also need to vent. I had a partial masectomy in February of 2018. I wanted a complete masectomy but the surgeon said I was being over emotional. Let me give you a little background. 8 years prior I had a lumpectomy which was benign. Phew. Then my dog started noticing my breast....alot. I did a self exam and sure enough there was a lump. All mammograms come back "tissue too dense to see anything." I was sent for diagnostic ultrasound and biopsy. This time cancer. Well, two lumps was enough for me so I asked for the masectomy. They wouldn't do it. Had partial masectomy instead. Surgeon found another mass while retrieving first one but didn't get enough surrounding tissue for the lab and had to go back in. Second and third tumors were cancerous. Third tumor wasn't picked up on mammograms or ultrasound. How many lumps do I need to have before they remove the breast??? This Monday found another lump. Had ultrasound and they said they don't think it's anything but to have a biopsy. I have had several biopsies since the partial masectomy and unbeknownst to me, was being followed for inflammatory breast cancer. When does this end? Why won't they just take the damned breast? I see the surgeon on May 5th and will insist enough is enough. Have even contacted lawyers because I have no intention of watching this develope into something that can't be treated. Anyone else get strong armed by a retiring surgeon? I'm so angry. I have been in pain for 2 and a half years and am constantly waiting for test results. I am starting to believe it's about money and not my well being. Covid stopped me from being able to travel for a second opinion. Now I'm vaccinated and will begin that journey based on the outcome of the visit with my surgeon. Also developed large seroma after second surgery. I'm so fed up. Thank you for letting me vent.

• dutchiegirl
    dutchiegirl Member Posts: 76
    Options

I was diagnosed at the end of 2018 and had surgery in January 2019. I had decided on a BMX as I just didn’t want the worry of recurrence or a new diagnosis. I kid you not, but my surgeon asked if she could reimplant my implants during the surgery as I was lying on the gurney, in the operating room. Prior to that, I had decided to remain flat until I was well enough for reconstructive surgery. I really wish I had told my surgeon to just toss the old implants and leave me flat. The implants cause rippling and they just don’t look good. They were subpectoralis previously but now they are sitting right below the skin. I can feel the outline of the fill area through my skin. So now I’ve decided to go for reconstruction next year. I’ll see what will work best for my situation. Thank goodness we can get reconstruction here at no cost!

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,255
    Options

I have zero regrets on my decision. I can expound on why (or you can search my screen name for my various posts) on why I chose what I did.

Just adding that I initially had lumpectomy (surgeon highly recommended this) but after a month or so, I went back and said I wanted the BMX. That is what I got. If you want a BMX, you are allowed to have it. I think the worst of the pandemic for hospital care is going down. It is never too late to unsnarl a decision, most of the time.

Best to all the ladies who are forced to make this ugly decisions.

• msphil
    msphil Member Posts: 185
    Options

sweetie I was diagnosed while we were making wedding plans so I was thinking about doing lumpectomy . oncologist recommended mastectomy talking with now husband I decided on mastectomy never regretted it. Had less worry bout recurrence. Praise God am now. 27 yr Survivor this yr. The choice is yours alone though. msphil idc stage 0/3 nodes 3mo chemo before and after Lmast got married then 7wks rads 5yrs on tamoxifen. Hang in there. (adriamycin cytoxin 5fu)