Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

May 2020 Radiation

Options

Comments

• Tunik
    Tunik Member Posts: 13
    Options

I'm going for my first radiation appointment on Monday. I think it will be a dry run. I will get my skincare instructions then. TexasMama, what kind of green tea? Is it a cream?

• callmetenacious
    callmetenacious Member Posts: 22
    Options

TexasMama - Never heard of Oronine H! It looks interesting but currently not available until late July on Amazon so I hope you have enough. Could you share more about the type of green tea product you are using? I like your RO's recommendations. I always have some triamcinolone around - sometimes you just need a little steroid cream to get something under control says the woman with exzema, rosacea and dermatitis.

• quinnie
    quinnie Member Posts: 113
    Options

callmetenacious: i also had a lift and reduction after lumpectomy. Having a lumpectomy on the other breast 12 years ago left me pretty lopsided. I am very happy with the results but also worry about the incisions during radiation. My surgeon and RO felt I should not have any issues so will need to take good care of my skin. I am interested in the green tea thing. I know I can also get a prescription as I did 12 years ago that helped. I think it is a type of steroid. Good Luck

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,616
    Options

Hi all. I had my second radiation session to my femur today and then had a brief visit with my RO. I had three sessions last week to my spine and hip. My day started with a visit with my MO and then I had an infusion of Zometa. All in all I was there about 3 hours, including the radiation. I walked from the medical clinic to the radiation clinic, which was a nice 10-minute walk.

We stopped on the way home to pick up a prescription and my husband ran into the natural foods market while I was in CVS. He bought some yummy strawberries and some whipping cream and some other produce. When we got home, I cooked some pasta, which I had been craving and then crashed and slept hard for about 2 hours. I still feel kind of groggy, but we'll get out for a walk later this evening.

How's everyone doing with their radiation? I'll only have 10 sessions total of palliative radiation to my femur and then I'll be done, hopefully. Everyone is so nice there. I have all these marks and drawings on my leg. I'm thinking of writing them a message on my leg before my last session. :)

Sorry if this is disjointed. I'm feeling kind of loopy.

• texasmama
    texasmama Member Posts: 129
    Options

Here's the scoop on the green tea. I'm using just regular green tea bags. I'm supposed to dip the bag in warm water and dab it on my skin prior to applying the creams. My RO says it has anti- inflammatory properties and makes the creams easier to spread,

• quinnie
    Options

Sunshine 99: You had quite a day and is understandable if you are a little loopy! I start radiation today and will try the green tea. It makes sense. Here in Cincinnati we are finally getting some warm weather. We have had 2 record lows over the past week. Having nice weather really helps me cope with all of this. I love yard work so plan to get busy over the next week. Happy Thursday

• Pink4meAgain
    Pink4meAgain Member Posts: 18
    Options

Funny you should say this as they changed it up again for me. I'm not a viable candidate right now for the reduction after all since I still have a hematoma from Lumpectomy surgery (3/26) and that would need to resolve itself before surgery. Yep you guessed it...need the radiation before I would be able to have time to resolve itself and allow me to heal after a surgery. She said likely I would have trouble healing since it should have been done during the lumpectomy. DUE to Covid-19 they couldn't do that....so I'm heading for my simulation tomorrow. It's been a roller coaster of a ride this week. Wish that I could have had it done as it's needed but glad they all agreed that it would be best for me to go to Radiation after all. Better to be safe.

• Tunik
    Options

Quick question... Has anyone been offered to participate in a randomized study allowing for 3 week vs. 5 week radiation treatment? Any thoughts?

• quinnie
    Options

I was not offered the study but will only do 3 weeks. My RO said studies have shown that 3 weeks instead of the traditional 6 weeks has the same results for early stage cancer. I had 6 weeks with my first round of cancer 12 years ago which was the standard of care then.

• Sshibal
    Sshibal Member Posts: 3
    Options

Tunik,

Due to Covid19, my RO asked me if I would want to do 3 weeks instead of 4, with boosts everyday instead of during the last week. He said the research was limited, but that it should theoretically give the same results. I opted for 4 weeks because that's what he recommended, but I assume anyone who chose 3 weeks would have their progress followed and studied in order to conclude if it's a viable option.

• callmetenacious
    Options

Tunik, I am doing 16 sessions. It's not part of a study; it's what my RO recommended based on my cancer.

I went for my run-through this morning and then met with the RO (we had only met on ZOOM). My reduction/lift is healing well and she explained that the plastic surgeon had done a great job of moving the tissue around so that my radiation plan is all shallow angles which makes it much easier to avoid impacting the heart/lungs and anything else.

I got lucky that they were able to schedule all of my sessions for 8:45 AM so I can get them done and then get on with my day. I came home feeling as calm and normal as I have in a long time.

I wish everyone a good weekend!

• Tunik
    Options

What are you guys using as far as creams?

• quinnie
    Options

My RO recommends aloe vera or aquaphor. Will add prescription steroid lotion if I develop skin has issues. I find it interesting all the comments on radiation and the differences in theories/practices. These doctors don't always explain the why;s but I believe it has a lot to do with the size, type, etc of the tumors that helps them with the decision on type of radiation and length. I found this article on BCO. It was very interesting but again we need to trust our RO's. All my doctors have told me not to do too much research as it confuses you But......Sometimes I can't help myself. https://www.breastcancer.org/research-news/shorter-radiation-better-for-early-stage.

• bbbddd168
    bbbddd168 Member Posts: 14
    Options

My RO recommended me to use first layer StrataXRT ( very expensive), second layer CareSTAT, third layer Calendula cream, 3 times a day. I use StrataXRT only two times a day since it is very expensive. At night before bed Mometasone (prescription) first, then Aquaphor on top. I have done 9 times radiation now. So far so good, no burn or other side effect.

• Pink4meAgain
    Pink4meAgain Member Posts: 18
    Options

Had my simulation today and will start on May 28th. The RO recommended Gold Bond Powder during the day and CeraVE cream at night. Hoping I won't get the peeling skin under the armpit like my last radiation in 2004. TGIF everyone :)

• Sshibal
    Sshibal Member Posts: 3
    Options

I'm using calendula cream and calendula ointment. The cream is good for overall healing and inflammation and the ointment is primarily for treating burns. I just layer the ointment over the cream since the ointment is a bit waxy and seems to act as a sealant. I just finished my third week (15 out of 20) and my skin is pretty pink/red right now, but the first two weeks my skin looked completely normal (maybe slightly more tan). The redness kind of just came out of nowhere this week. I'm extremely pale, so any change in skin color will show. However it doesn't hurt or burn at all. It felt a tiny bit itchy yesterday, but went away as soon as I put more cream on it. The one thing I didn't expect was for my shoulder blade to start making a clicking/crunching sounds and to be sore. Apparently that means the radiation has started scarring the tissue under my skin. Due to Covid I can't go to the gym, so I bought a cheap row machine on Amazon and it has helped immensely with regaining movement and range of motion.

• callmetenacious
    Options

My RO prescribed Mometasone to be used twice a day. My markings are "Sharpie" lines with transparent stickers marking the key points. The radiation tech warned me that all of the creams can loosen the stickers and to watch for that -- another challenge. The reason that I noted "Sharpie" in quotes is that they used a different brand. It's warm and I was outside sweating; now some of the lines are smudging and have stained my bra. Brand X is not as good as Sharpie! Another small challenge - glad my bras are from Target and I have no reason to put on nice clothes!

• quinnie
    Options

I also have sharpie type lines with transparent tape over them. I quit wearing bras during treatment. I am wearing cotton undershirts. I remember the last time I had issues with bras rubbing so just went bra less this time. Not pretty but I don't care at this time. I've only had 2 treatments so have no real symptoms except some sharp pains in my breast occasionally. I am enjoying the beautiful weather in Cincinnati which helps psychologically. I love gardening which is my therapy.

• dizzywombat
    dizzywombat Member Posts: 5
    Options

Hi all - I just had my simulation on Friday and will start radiation on the 25th (happy Memorial Day). I’m doing 30 sessions and also have the Sharpie lines with tape. They gave me the Sharpies to bring home so I can do touch ups if needed. I can see why the cotton undershirts might be the way to go vs bras.

Now I just need to decide on a place to live for 6 weeks since I’m traveling to MD Anderson for treatment. I’ve been putting it off but now that I have my schedule I guess I finally have to make a decision. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• prdanib
    prdanib Member Posts: 11
    Options

Just started radiation today. Will be getting it for the next 5 weeks. I also have had to travel from SC up to NY for my the treatment, which I’m getting at Sloan Kettering. I am staying at The Residence Inn. The American Cancer Society negotiates rates with certain hotels, so be sure to call them before you go. Good luck to everyone going through this.

• OmaS
    OmaS Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi. I am 65 yo and considering not doing the 16 radiation treatments and I would be open to hear your opinions.

DX: 2/18/2020, IDC, Stage 1A, size 6 mm, margins -, 1 node -, HR+ 90%, HER2-, Ki67 5%, waiting for Oncotype DX. Taking Arimidex.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,010
    Options

OmaS, welcome to our community. It's a very personal decision, weighing all the pros and cons, and understanding your unique situation. What is your treatment team suggesting?

• quinnie
    Options

OmaS: It looks like we have very similar diagnosis. I agree with the moderators, this is a very personal decision. Hopefully your treatment team can offer good advise and help you make a decision. I remember thinking I just with someone would tell me what to do. Good Luck

• callmetenacious
    Options

OmaS - I am also 65. Is your medical team recommending radiation or suggesting it is optional? I am not suggesting what you should do but I'm happy to share my experience and decision process.

My breast surgeon who is a 62 year old woman told me that I was going to have the radiation. When I met my RO (a woman in her 40's) on Zoom, she started the conversation by telling me that I could receive the 16 session treatment and then carefully explained the statistics for my situation so that we could decide if I wanted to proceed. My decision to proceed with radiation is based on my overall health (excellent other than breast and ovarian cancer), my lifestyle and my long term life expectations as well as knowing that my tumor is 100% estrogen positive. I want the extra statistical insurance of the radiation. The "standard" has been to not recommend radiation for estrogen positive tumors in women over 70. My RO wanted to get a sense of who I am and what my goals are to make the recommendation. My understanding is that she feels that there is a bit of gray area in the age guideline. I am also going to be taking Tamoxifen after the radiation. I want to do everything that I can to make sure the cancers do not recur!

• callmetenacious
    Options

Does it make a difference in the staining and smudging if the markings are made with actual Sharpie brand markers or Brand X? This may seem silly but I know some people who work for Sharpie and they are curious about the experience.

If you have a moment, would you please post about your marker experience and the brand of marker used if you know it? Thanks!

• diaz
    diaz Member Posts: 3
    Options

started rad therapy May 12th. Had 4 treatments, one of them it was very difficult to get the right position. Today should have been fifth treatment, but techs were unable to find correct position. Said “major soft tissue change”. Said “start over after forming new treatment plan”. Repeated CT scan. Explained that they were just unable to line me up perfectly and of course it needs to be very precise. My question, is this rare that proper positioning is so difficult? Has this happened to any others

• ange743
    ange743 Member Posts: 69
    Options

I have completed 7 radiation treatments. Had the long weekend off, then back at it tomorrow morning. 9 more to go. No issues so far. Arm gets a bit sore from having to hold the position, but they're very quick and I'm an easy line up. Chest and underarm are a bit red, but are holding up well so far. Just want to be done.

I hope you are all doing well. 😊

• quinnie
    Options

Diaz: Sorry you have to go through the process twice. I have never had that happen but 12 years ago when I had radiation on the R breast they did have to change the markers during treatment. Possibly after your breast surgery ( not sure what you had) the tissue has continued to change. Or did you loose weight? Not a problem for me as this pandemic had increased my appetite and this horrible weather here in Cincinnati has made it difficult to walk. We have had 3-4 inches of rain in 3 days.

Callmetenatious: I have no idea what type markers they used. I have circle tape pads over the marks and have not had any issues after showering etc. Fortunately I do not have any issues with my skin and the tape.I know this can be a problem for many with allergies.

• PMML
    PMML Member Posts: 18
    Options

I started my radiation this week. Fortunately I’m in a better frame of mind (thanks to my doctor prescribing more antidepressants) and all is going well. In NZ standard treatment is 3 weeks so I’ve now done 3 out of 15 sessions. The worst part is driving there - it’s about an hour 15 and I just feel like it’s wasted time! I could stay but as a single woman with two kids, two dogs and two cats it just seemed like more hassle to organise.

I actually feel like a complete fake. Surgery was fine, no complications and only off work for a week. The Tamoxifen hasn’t been too bad and radiation is easy so far. I haven’t needed chemo. And I found out today that our business insurance is going to pay a huge sum - meant to cover if we need to employ someone if I’m off work for a long period but I can’t see that happening. I’m sure I’m meant to look and feel more unwell. It doesn’t seem fair that I’m having it easy when so many, much better people than me, struggle so much. I think cancer has messed with my brain more than anything

• callmetenacious
    Options

PMML - You are not a FAKE!! You are awesome (and have some really good anti-depressants). You are not meant to look and feel awful. You're going through a lot and dealing with it. You are a SURVIVOR!!! You are better off than some and worse off than others. I have two suggestions - find something wonderful to listen to as you drive so the time doesn't feel like a waste (podcast, book, course, music) and take a portion of the money from the business insurance and donate it where you think it will provide value.