Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

May 2020 Radiation

Options
1235»

Comments

• toria1212
    toria1212 Member Posts: 71
    Options

@CallMeTenacious It is good to hear about others ahead of me. I have 4 in the tank, 16 to go. I do feel fatigued every day though....so I use the first part of the day for doing stuff, then I peter out.

I will share more about the Dr I saw(via ZOOM). She was quite something-love her, but I do believe she will insist on standard protocol of five years of AI. I continue to research as I find points of interest. I am working hard on very little sugar, intermittent fasting, organic dietary changes, etc. It is a lot to focus on-I will share and I do hope you have a great week and continue to heal from radiation and that darn migraine(I've had a few in my day, and wowza, they are killer)

healing (((hugs)))

• texasmama
    texasmama Member Posts: 129
    Options

Congratulations to those who have finished rads!! I hope you all heal and regain your energy soon!

Pink4Me, dots74, Tunik, and Toria1212- I’m still doing radiation right along with you. I have 12 more treatments to go.

So far my skin has been fine. I have some soreness and bumps where I have sun damage, but nothing to complain about.

I need a nap everyday after radiation. One day I couldn’t take a nap, and I fell asleep at 8pm. I’m still able to walk three or more miles each morning and get things done around the house, so I really can’t complain about the fatigue either.

• Tunik
    Tunik Member Posts: 13
    Options

Hello ladies,

as you are looking for things to help with the traditional treatment, I have two books to recommend. I've finished the first one and reading the second one now. Both seem informative, well-researched and with lots of good practical advice. My MO downplayed lifestyle changes I can make to decrease chances of recurrence but I am determined to do everything I can.

How Not to Die: Discover the Foods Scientifically Proven to Prevent and Reverse Disease Hardcover – December 8, 2015

by Michael Greger M.D. FACLM (Author), Gene Stone (Author)

Breasts: The Owner's Manual: Every Woman's Guide to Reducing Cancer Risk, Making Treatment Choices, and Optimizing Outcomes

by Dr. Kristi Funk (Author), Sheryl Crow (Foreword)

• ange743
    ange743 Member Posts: 69
    Options

My Doctor and Nurse weren't being overly helpful when I called them about the blistering. They said just keep mosturizing, put polysporin on any open areas and put hydrocortisone on any itchy parts, take Tylenol for any pain. Did that for a couple of days and it wasn't helping much. So I used essential oils to make an oil I put on a couple of times a day and it's looking and feeling a lot better.

I hope you are doing well and happy recovering to those who are done. 😊

• dots74
    dots74 Member Posts: 23
    Options

I have 10/28 to go! I have some minor pink spots and an itchy rash in a couple of spots. The doctor called in triamcinolone cream to use twice daily along with the normal creams. My major problem is the positioning. My arm has gotten to the point that I physically can’t get it up to where it needs to be and the techs have to push it up. I’m in tears from the pain by the end. I started physical therapy yesterday to try and get some range of motion. I’m determined to make it through the last ten!

• Sweettalker52
    Sweettalker52 Member Posts: 58
    Options

Hello again. Yesterday was my treatment #26 of 30. Fatigue is settling in. The most serious problem is that my skin on the underside of my Double D sized boob is raw. The top layer of skin dissolved, leaving raw, painful tissue. Some call it peeling, but it isn't. My MO, bless her heart, calls it "shedding". I had been diligent using Cetaphil cream, then as redness and darkening started, Aquaphor cream in a big jar. Skin changes were obvious on my chest, underarm, top of the boob. So the painful shedding and weepiness on the underside was not what I expected. Apparently this will continue for at least five weeks, because my post-radiation appointment will be six weeks after and she said they would let me shed at home before I came back. Alternating Tylenol and Ibuprofen for pain. New Rx for Silvadine, the miracle cream that heals burns, primarily. Soothing.

Best Wishes to you all. Sharing is caring. Be safe out there and speak up for yourself and ask questions. We are with you.

• quinnie
    quinnie Member Posts: 113
    Options

dots: I am sorry you are going through this. With my first radiation 12 years ago I developed frozen shoulder and it was so painful I could hardly get through the treatment. I didn;t start PT until many weeks later so you are smart to get the treatment now. I had a cortisone shot which helped me through PT.

Sweettalker: I am sorry you are having so much difficulty with radiation. I had some blistering on the top and underneath but nothing like you. I finished 2 weeks ago and the blisters are finally drying up and the itching is decreasing. Soon we will all be through this and hopefully never have cancer again.

• lb13
    lb13 Member Posts: 48
    Options

@Sweettalker52 I had awful raw 'shedding' under my DD breast also. My armpit was a complete disaster, raw and SO painful when I finished 33 rads. I used the silvadene, and I also got Telfa non-stick pads to put on top of the wound (really helped in the fold of the breast too). One thing I can tell you - I am 9 days out from finishing radiation and I am almost completely healed. I know how uncomfortable you are, but hang onto the fact that it heals pretty quickly when you are done. Keep using the Silvadene and apply ice packs when you can. That and the Advil or Tylenol helped me a lot. Thinking of you - sending a 'gentle' hug! :)

• Sweettalker52
    Options

@LB13 Thank you so much for your reply and encouragement. You are definitely giving me a glimpse at the light at the end of the tunnel. Last boost will be Monday. Technically they are going nowhere near the underside area / crease, so it is beginning the healing process. I will get some non-stick Telfa pads. At the moment, everything I wear is getting wet. No doubt many mastectomy patients would trade these little issues for theirs, so I will remind myself that I am blessed that my situation and diagnosis are as they are. Thanks again. *hugs*

• Sweettalker52
    Options

@quinnie - Thank you for your kindness. I appreciate your support. When I am laying there and the lasers are moving around my half-naked body, it is comforting to know that all of you understand my feelings, my fears, my hopes. Thanks again. *hugs*

• Pink4meAgain
    Pink4meAgain Member Posts: 18
    Options

@dots74 - yep, I'm still going. Finished #16 today and will finish with 25 sessions and 3 boosts on July 7th. Just today did I start feeling a little heaviness in the outer part of my breast. Hope it was just the way I slept last night. We shall see in a few days.

So a few things since I last checked in...my mom received notification today that a biopsy of an area in her breast has tested positive. Hopefully soon she will have direction on what treatment plan they will be going with. Tomorrow they will be doing genetic testing. My genetic testing all came back negative. It will be interesting to see what hers shows.

This is my 3rd week...starting to feel just slightly tired. Just a little pink with a tan cast to my skin. Feeling overall blah...don't feel like working, cleaning, just want to chill! :)

• toria1212
    toria1212 Member Posts: 71
    Options

You're all such bravies! I can't wait to be finished, 12 to go. It is so helpful to 'read ahead' a wee bit and see what may be to come.

TexasMama, let's hit that finish line together!!!

Love and (((hugs))) y'all xx

• Bluebonnetmama
    Bluebonnetmama Member Posts: 5
    Options

Hello! I am having radiation and have had 17/30 so I have 13 more. So glad to find you all who are going through it at the same time! My skin is pink and tender but not terrible yet. I have the cotton tank tops and but my remaining left breast is large and needs support. It hurts my mastectomy area to wear a bra, and hurts my unsupported left breast to NOT wear a bra. When will this be over!

Dots74 I have trouble with axillary/arm nerve pain during the treatment also. 😢

I am getting ready this morning to have my treatment at 9:00, so I will keep this short, but I am so thankful to find you all.

• dots74
    dots74 Member Posts: 23
    Options

Bluebonnetmama, I highly suggest physical therapy. It has helped tremendously! I still have pain and tingling, but I haven’t gone home in tears since I started. In addition to working out some of the tight spots, they gave me some exercises to do before going in. I’ve positioned my arm myself the last two times!!! I have 6 to go.

• Bluebonnetmama
    Options

dots74 thanks! I’ll look into PT. I do try to stretch and do range of motion things before I go in. Today’s treatment hasn’t resulted too much discomfort, happily! Or maybe I’m just getting used to it and and not as nervous. I think m nerves cause as much pain as anything but I can’t control my emotions always.

I did find out that I only have 28 treatments with 5 boosts.....I thought I had 30 treatments. It’s encouraging to have 2 less!

Let’s keep on trucking

• Sweettalker52
    Options

That is good news, bluebonnetmama. I had #30 of 30 (including 5 boosts) today. Glad to ring the bell. Skin is melting and new skin underneath is so raw. I'm fortunate to be able to stay home in my bedroom half naked because wearing clothes is painful, especially under my arm. My R.O. says all will be well in six weeks. I'm anxious for the swelling to go down. Hope you all will have a great week. Best Wishes!

• Tunik
    Tunik Member Posts: 13
    Options

I've done 22/25 so far. 3 more to go!!! I'm using bolus, which makes things worse. For whatever reason, my RO doesn't want to give it up and instead has been giving me breaks here and there. My skin turned dark red by week 3 and now brown and starting to peel a bit. I see pretty pink skin underneath. Can't wait to be done with this!!!

• Bluebonnetmama
    Options

sweettalker I’m so glad you are finished! Tunik you’re almost there! I pray you both will heal quickly.

• Pink4meAgain
    Options

Definitely feeling the sluggishness and tenderness at this point. Today I finished #19. Have 6 more regular then 3 boosts. Today it was decided that they will give me a long weekend this week - break from radiation this Friday. She's hoping this will help me heal a little between this week and next. Got a prescription cream today to help the tender areas and hopefully they won't open up but we shall see.

• callmetenacious
    callmetenacious Member Posts: 22
    Options

Checking in 2 weeks post-radiation. My RO prescribed momentasone ointment (a steroid) before treatment. I have notoriously sensitive skin and had to see my dermatologist during treatment as I developed roscacea on both breasts (normally only on my face). I have had pink skin but no pain, broken skin, peeling or itching. There was a research study published a few years ago about the effectiveness of momentasone for breast radiation. It's not overly expensive either.

I know that each of us has a different experience but based on my experience with delicate skin surviving intact using a prescription ointment, I wonder if others who are suffering would have had better results with momentasone.

• PMML
    PMML Member Posts: 18
    Options

Hi all

I’m three weeks since finishing rads (15 sessions) and I’m so tired all the time! I’m barely doing half days at work, sleep pretty much all weekend and get at least 9 hours a night. I’m just exhausted. And emotional.

• Pink4meAgain
    Options

I'm almost done...hopefully just 3 more sessions and I'll be done this upcoming Wednesday. My armpit skin is suffering hence why I slightly worry they will have me take a short break before finishing the last 2 regular sessions (today is the last boost). Honestly I just want to be done right about now since we are so close. However, my skin is peeling and very tender under my armpit, around my nipple and slightly under the breast fold. I keep switching between gold bond, cera ve cream, silvadene (prescription) and ocean potion to figure out what works the best right now. It feels the best dry with the powder however, I know it needs the moisture but worry about infection (yeast) given the area. slight circle right now but I'm thankful that I see the finish line around the bend.

• Sweettalker52
    Options

@Pink4me - I'm two weeks after my final boost. Although my burns were serious, it is so much better now. My Radiation Oncologist didn't want me to do any cream but Silvadene once I got that Rx. However, I couldn't stand the melting goo that resulted and the constant wet. What felt better were Domeboro "soaks" which are wet compresses several times a day with air drying after each compress. Domeboro is a brand name. Of course you can't air dry a Double D because they are just hanging too low and mine was quite swollen as well as burned. One spot near the lymph node incision under my arm really hurt and even bled. Lots and lots of peeling, including on my back. The doc said if it turned into a fungal infection under my breast to buy Lotrimin cream and then put Silvadene over it. I didn't have to do that. Since I'm near the end of the peeling, I like Aquaphor healing ointment (in a big jar). I'm still fatigued but feeling so much better. Hang in there, y'all!

Editing to add: Reading back through the thread and reminded of what LB13 said - Tylenol and Ibuprofen are your friends. They really got me through the pain. Thanks, LB13. I hope you all are doing well or at least finding your strength to get back to wellness. We have your back!

• lb13
    lb13 Member Posts: 48
    Options

Hello Sweettalker52! Thank you for thinking of me. am almost one month out since I finished (June 9th). I am feeling great and my wounds are completely healed. I am even able to get in the swimming pool now. (I use lots of sunscreen!!) I can only say that I have some residual itching now and then. It honestly doesn't FEEL like I have/had cancer..... I feel good. I started Tamoxifen on June 24th - no major side effects so far - just a little wooziness/dizziness, and I am extra thirsty. Honestly - those are things I can live with and they say many side effects straighten themselves out with time. The only 'big' problem I have is the constant fear of recurrence. I know that is silly - I should be SO glad this is ALL I have had to go through, and I am stage 1A - and I have low-risk, Luminal Type A based on my Mammaprint - and my Ki67 was 5% - ALL GOOD STUFF - but I am petrified about this coming back or showing it's ugly cancer head somewhere else in my body....... I KNOW I am doing all I can to prevent that - but this is a crap shoot as we have all heard. I just need to get my head to be positive every moment of every day and to LIVE life!!! Hope you are all doing well - thinking of each of you as you finish treatment and heal.

• Pink4meAgain
    Options

@sweettalker52 thank you for the tips! I finished radiation today. Woohoo. They did tell me that I will have residual reactions for the next 2 weeks then I should be good. I appreciate you confirming the same.

Now onto letrizole in 2 weeks.

• quinnie
    quinnie Member Posts: 113
    Options

Hello to all the May radiation gals. I had my month follow up. All is well. I had some blisters which have healed. i feel this time I had less side effects than the first round on the opposite breast 12 years ago. Technology has improved resulting in less side effects. I feel I have moved on from BC. Ony issue is with hot flashes taking letrozone. Not good during this heat wave but will manage. I hope the best for all of you. This journey is not one I wanted to do especially twice but hopefully this is the end. I have been blessed twice. Early stage, low grade. hopefully this is the end of this. God Bless you all.

• Sweettalker52
    Options

So glad to hear that you are doing well, quinnie. Thank you for posting and for your support. God bless you.

• prdanib
    prdanib Member Posts: 11
    Options

I'm about one month out as well. Congratulations everyone! Just wondering if anyone else has lumps in their breast? Could this be due to radiation? I'm a little freaked out to find these lumps again and hope it's not another recurrence.