Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

July 2020 chemo club

Options

Comments

• melbo
    melbo Member Posts: 266
    edited November 2020
    Options

Mtspacekace — that sounds incredibly frustrating. Are they at least going to do your blood work again to figure out the anemia? Hopefully you can get it all sorted out soon!

• mtspacekace
    mtspacekace Member Posts: 123
    edited November 2020
    Options

That is what I asked the nurse at the plastic surgery place. The blood work they are looking at is from October 15. I’m sure it has changed. And will change again before December when I should be having surgery. My oncologist is saying it is fine, how am I supposed to treat anemia when it’s 2 surgeons against one oncologist and they are saying different things?! Ugh. I’m waiting for a call back from plastics, which they said they would be calling back in 30 minutes...2 hours ago.

• iamloved
    iamloved Member Posts: 197
    edited November 2020
    Options

mtspacekace...oh how frustrating. Why doesn't your oncologist order a new bloodwork done and settle this? Yes things definitely will have changed since Oct 15. I am sorry you are having such difficulty getting to the next part of this cancer journey. Your doctors should be ashamed for their part in all this!! Prayers it gets resolved QUICKLY!

• Susiemommy
    Susiemommy Member Posts: 46
    edited November 2020
    Options

Well, I have an MRI of my breast today (the last before surgery) and my last round of Taxol. I'm a little paranoid about some kind of weird interaction between the contrast and the chemo, but I guess someone would pick up on that, right?

Seems like everyone has stuff happening...I hope it turns out well for all of us. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

• kmom57
    kmom57 Member Posts: 172
    edited November 2020
    Options

Sorry to have been MIA. I've been heavy into the radiation part of this fight. Rang the bell today on that. Now I’m on to Letrozole (again). Was told yesterday my MO wants Zometa infusions starting after Christmas which was a little disappointing as I was just thinking today I was going to be done completely except Letrozole.

mtspacekace — I'm sorry it's so frustrating for you right now.

Iamloved and evergreenman— Great news!!

BrittonKB — Almost there! I'm happy for you!

• iamloved
    edited November 2020
    Options

Evergreenman My surgery is Dec 1st also! I will be saying an extra prayer for you that morning that all goes well for bothof us!!

• mtspacekace
    edited November 2020
    Options

My surgeons must have felt my frustration! The general surgeon actually called me today...I got to speak to him and ask all my questions. And then I got a call from the plastic surgeon, and apparently when I was in to see him for the consultation, I looked and sounded like hell. So that was why he wanted to wait, as he was worried I was so run down from chemo I wouldn’t recover well. He said as long as I’m feeling up for it, I can have my double mastectomy with expanders put in. This is such a relief, if I couldn’t have that done right away...the recovery would have been quicker from the mastectomy, but in the long run...it would have taken much longer for reconstruction and recovery from that. So I’m going to proceed with plan A! It’s been 5 weeks since I’ve completed chemo and I feel so much better! I have to get labs drawn next week, and hopefully my numbers have come back up!

I hope everyone has a safe Thanksgiving, celebrating as much as you can!

• iamloved
    edited November 2020
    Options

mtspacekace...So glad you are able to proceed with your plan! Best of luck to you!

• trynryan
    trynryan Member Posts: 20
    edited November 2020
    Options

mtspacekace glad things are working out between your providers and I hope you get a date soon!

I am also 5 weeks out of chemo, finally feeling almost normal and having surgery next week LOL. I am getting my hgb checked on Dec 1, my surgery is Dec 3rd. I am sure it has improved because I am feeling much better.

I am most excited about the tiny stubble of hair growing on the top of my head.. Wahoo!

• Evergreenman
    Evergreenman Member Posts: 17
    edited November 2020
    Options

Thanks Joni. I will be praying for you too from this side of the earth. My MRI shows the tumor has shrunk 95% so I am really hoping for a clear margin.

Tryanryan and mtspacekace, all the best for the surgery.

• iamloved
    edited November 2020
    Options

Seriously can't wait to hear how everyone dies with surgery. It looks like quite a few of us are scheduled for next week. I just need to pass my covid test on Sunday. Best of luck to those having surgery. May we all get clear margins and recover quick. My husband says he thinks I am in cahoots with my BS and my PS because they told me I wasn't to fold clothes, stir, vacuum, nothing repetitive for 4 weeks.😁 Going to enjoy this vacation.

• shar2020
    shar2020 Member Posts: 196
    edited July 2023
    Options

Good morning, everyone. I am excited to read about the reductions a couple of you have had in your tumors. That's fantastic!

Iamloved, the first sentence in your November 26 post really made me chuckle. I don't usually bring attention to spelling, but I hope you don't mind because that's funny! 🤣

I am cheering for Melbo and Susie for finishing chemo and for KMom for finishing radiation! 🔔🎉🎊🥳

Best wishes to everyone with your upcoming surgery and to those of you still having chemo.

My update: A breast MRI showed a 50% reduction in the tumor. It is 1 cm now. I hoped it was gone so that was disappointing. However, I was very excited about the results of the CT scans, especially the CT scan of my lungs. The multiple nodules throughout both lungs have significantly improved. Many are gone, two have reduced to 2 mm and seven have reduced to spots too small to measure.

• iamloved
    edited November 2020
    Options

Shar2020...oh my!! Obviously was not paying attention! I could blame it on chemo brain, neuropathy etc. I probably should edit it but what the heck if it makes someone smile yeah!😁 That is awesome news on your lung nodules. I didn't get a percentage of the reduction on my tumor. I just know it can no longer be felt or supposedly seen with imaging besides the clip. I will be anxious for my Pathology report in 2 weeks after surgery. Are you continuing the herceptin for the year?

• annathebrave
    annathebrave Member Posts: 69
    edited November 2020
    Options

Hello, all! Congrats to all the new milestones in our group! Sounds like a busy week coming up!

I had my covid test this morning in advance of surgery on Wednesday. I'm having a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy, and it turned out I potentially qualify for a clinical trial, so if, upon review of the sentinel node(s) during surgery any residual cancer is found, I'll be randomized into either an ALND (the arm of the trial that's standard-of-care) or only have the SNB with no further nodes removed (the experimental arm).

My ultrasound post chemo showed an “excellent" response, so I certainly hope there's nothing left at surgery. I had my first HP-only treatment on Wednesday and it was fine. Sure was nice not to get the stomach pains the taxotere gave me, and to have my taste buds remain normal!

The only hiccup at the moment is that I'm anemic from the chemo and my BS wants labs drawn again on Monday to see where my numbers are. If they aren't where he wants them, then he wants me to get a transfusion on Tuesday. I asked about just delaying surgery for a week instead and he didn't seem keen on the idea. On the other hand, I want to get everything over with before hospitals in my area lock down even more than they have already. But my numbers don't seem that bad, from what I've read about pre-surgical thresholds for transfusion, but I'm also just too mentally exhausted to figure out how much I should fight something like this.

Has anyone out there had a transfusion? I really don't want one, but I can't articulate a more convincing reason than that it seems like the sort of thing we shouldn't do lightly and my body will fix this on its own if you give me more time.

• mtspacekace
    edited November 2020
    Options

Anna, I have not had a transfusion, but they have threatened me with one. Will be praying that you do t need one. My oncologist seems pretty relaxed about my anemia, but my surgeons were concerned. I’m hoping that my numbers come up enough before surgery. I have not had my blood work done since 2 weeks before my last chemo (I’ve been finished for 5 weeks). I’m going Monday to get labs drawn. Still don’t have a surgery date, but they will be calling next week with that—or that’s what they tell me.

So, in other news, I’m not sure if I should be concerned or not... I’ve been extremely sore lately, my muscles just ache...like I’ve been doing some major workouts, which I have not been. I’ve also had some tenderness and pain in my other breast....near the bottom half of it. My arm joints have been sore as well. I spent the day hunting a week ago, and figured the sore body was from bouncing around in a vehicle all day, and my muscles not being used to it (I feel since I started chemo I have not been active at all and get fatigued easily). In the back of my mind...I feel like the sore breast could be some type of deep bruise or trauma (like I bruised it leaning on something) but I can’t recall exactly what I did, or if I did anything...chemo brain. It’s not swollen, or bruised, red, no fever, no lumps...just really tender in the lower half. Anyone else ever experience this??? It’s been a few days....I figured if it was a bruise it would go away, but maybe my body is still slow at recovering

• annathebrave
    edited December 2020
    Options

So, they wanted to give me a transfusion to get my hematocrit up to 30 (it's at 26) prior to Wednesday's surgery. I talked to my surgeon bc I really didn't want a transfusion unless there was a critical need. He wasn't terribly helpful, I felt—he told me that when I'm under anesthesia and they give me fluids it'll drop further and that's what they worry about, but then he also said he's expecting virtually no blood loss...and I don't know how those two things are related, and I was holding back tears of stress so I couldn't do a spectacular job of thinking and questioning. Anyway, he said it's fine if I don't have a transfusion and they'll just transfuse if there are any issues during surgery (to which I do consent). So, no transfusion. Just another festival of anxiety and second-guessing and exhaustion.

It was a real life-lessonexperience for me today, that advocatin for yourself doesn't actually garner much praise or admiration. Mostly it's met with annoyance and irritation.

Best of luck to those of you undergoing surgery tomorrow. I will hold you in the light.

• annathebrave
    edited December 2020
    Options

So, they wanted to give me a transfusion to get my hematocrit up to 30 (it's at 26) prior to Wednesday's surgery. I talked to my surgeon bc I really didn't want a transfusion unless there was a critical need. He wasn't terribly helpful, I felt—he told me that when I'm under anesthesia and they give me fluids it'll drop further and that's what they worry about, but then he also said he's expecting virtually no blood loss...and I don't know how those two things are related, and I was holding back tears of stress so I couldn't do a spectacular job of thinking and questioning. Anyway, he said it's fine if I don't have a transfusion and they'll just transfuse if there are any issues during surgery (to which I do consent). So, no transfusion. Just another festival of anxiety and second-guessing and exhaustion.

It was a real life-lesson experience for me today, that advocatingg for yourself doesn't actually garner much praise or admiration. Mostly it's met with annoyance and irritation.

Best of luck to those of you undergoing surgery tomorrow. I will hold you in the light.

• shar2020
    edited December 2020
    Options

Iamloved, I am saying a prayer for you that all goes well with Tuesday's surgery, recovery and follow up appointments.

Others have surgery this week, too, and throughout December, so to each and everyone of you, best wishes with your surgery, recovery and follow up appointments.

• juju-mar
    juju-mar Member Posts: 200
    edited December 2020
    Options

hi ladies, popping in from the October chemo club with a question. Do you all get a MRI after chemo is done? My chemo runs thru March and I don't meet with my surgeon til then. Just wondering if an MRI is standard following chemo. Thanks all! Julie

• mtspacekace
    edited December 2020
    Options

jujumartin, I did not get a mri after chemo. I had one prior to chemo, and will have a double mastectomy after chemo. Then they will decide if I will do radiation or not.

• annathebrave
    edited December 2020
    Options

I did have an MRI after chemo. It must depend on the practice. Also maybe because I'm having a lumpectomy and had a positive node, they wanted to see how things looked and see in particular if the node looked like it had responded.

• iamloved
    edited December 2020
    Options

Well ladies surgery is complete. And a huge success! Lymph nodes were negative. Good clear margins. I will have to wait for the complete Pathology report which will take about 4 days. My BS said she figured about a 95% response. Not perfect but dang close. I had an amazing group of professional here at Mayo all day. I really couldn't be happier right now. Surgery was about 5 1/2 hours with a few hours in recovery and now actually 2hours in my room. We will spend the night at the hotel and head back tomorrow. 7 hour drive but so worth it with the care I have received. God is good and He does answer prayers when we put our trust in Him.and surrender all to His glory. Thank you everyone here for the support. It has been great to journey with all of you. Next step heal and radiation. Oh and get this hair growing back!!!

• brittonkb
    brittonkb Member Posts: 81
    edited December 2020
    Options

Iamloved - Congratulations on a successful surgery! So happy for you! Hope you're able to get good rest tonight and for drive home. God IS good!

Juju - I don't believe I'll have an MRI after I finish chemo. But probably because I had my surgeries prior to chemo.

• brittonkb
    brittonkb Member Posts: 81
    edited December 2020
    Options

Anna - Good luck on your surgery tomorrow. I hope it goes smoothly and with no need for a transfusion!

• shar2020
    edited December 2020
    Options

Iamloved, great to read that all went well for you today. Yes, God is good!

AnnaTheBrave, wishing you all the best on Wednesday.

Brittonkb, two more infusions for you! The end of your chemo is in sight!

• annathebrave
    edited December 2020
    Options

Iamloved, I’m so proud of you and happy for you! I amheaded to the hospital in about ten min. I’m excited to get this over with!

Thank you all for creating such a supportive community!

• melbo
    melbo Member Posts: 266
    edited December 2020
    Options

so glad to hear your surgery went well! I hope the recovery process continues to be smooth and easy

• iamloved
    edited December 2020
    Options

AnnaTheBrave my prayers for you today. Yes it is good to get it over. May your surgeon and staff do their best work on you!

• Evergreenman
    Evergreenman Member Posts: 17
    edited December 2020
    Options

Ladies I also had my surgery on Tuesday and praise to god it was smooth and my BS seems to be quite happy. I had a lumpectomy and 5 tiny lymph notes taken out. praying for PCR. I stayed for two nights and don't need any more pain killer today.

A big box ticked. Just waiting for the wound to heal and will have radiation, Herceptin etc next...

Praying for everyone to feel God's presence and we all have a speedy recovery

• iamloved
    edited December 2020
    Options

Evergreenma…so happy to hear everything went smooth. Yes surgery is a huge hurdle. My BS called me last night...not her nurse but she herself. She is so excited with my results. I have 2 more days for the pathology report but she gave me some info she had. I like you will continue herceptin get a plan for radiation and hopefully by spring have some hair back!! Prayers for you to recover quick!