Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Single mastectomy vs. lumpectomy? Your recovery experience?

Options
2»

Comments

• renbird
    renbird Member Posts: 53
    Options

Hi TaraLee-

I forgot to ask... are you small breasted like me? I’m barely an A

Thanks! -Ren

• jmihaly1
    jmihaly1 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi every one!

I am 4 weeks status post single Right mastectomy, and I still have stiffness. My single drain was out in six days. Was able to drive at four weeks.

• ladyc2020
    ladyc2020 Member Posts: 87
    Options

renbird- I had my lumpectomy yesterday and am feeling great. I’m up and about just not using my left arm much. I haven’t taken any painkillers at all, and not because I’m brave, but because I’m just a bit sore, and as long as I don’t move this arm too much, it is very tolerable. I’m a full A cup, still kindasmall. I think it may depend where your tumor is - mine was up high so my fuller breast Tissue seems exactly the same. I don’t know how many nodes were taken at this point, can’t wait for follow up to find out, fingers crossed it all is clear.

I saw 2 Drs and had another opinion from Stanford and all recommended lumpectomy with radiation for me.

Best of luck!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    Options

jmihaly1, welcome and yes, it does take time! So glad you joined us here.

• renbird
    Options

Thank you for this info, Jmihaly1. I hope you continue to get less stiff and recover. How are you now?

Update: It seems I now need a mastectomy (lumpectomy and re-excision left some DCIS behind.) I could have another re-excision, but it's cloudy and calc-y in there, so I think at this point, to avoid rads and more testing over the next 35 years or so, it's time for a mastectomy.

Need chemo in December. Ugh.

Now I am trying to decide between simple and nipple sparing mastectomy. Did you have a simple?

-Renbird

• renbird
    Options

Hi, ladies!

Thanks again for all of your advice, wisdom, and support!

Update: It seems I am now headed for a mastectomy (lumpectomy and re-excision left some DCIS behind.) I could have another re-excision, but it's cloudy and calc-y in there, so I think at this point, to avoid rads and more mammos/MRIs/biospies on the right side over the next 35 years or so, it's time for a mastectomy.

Now I am trying to decide between simple and nipple sparing mastectomy with NO reconstruction. I am barely an A cup, so I'm hoping I won't feel too lopsided.

Thoughts?

Also found out I need 4 rounds of TC chemo starting in December, but that is another matter. Boo! -Renbird

• renbird
    Options

This Reply was super helpful, Alto! Especially as my lumpectomy and re-excision were unsuccessful as well. I am headed for mastectomy now too. (Simple with no recon? Nipple sparing with no recon? That's my latest decision to make in the next week.)

Did they make a NEW incision when you had your mastectomy, or did they work with your lumpectomy incision?

I think I can avoid rads now (please God) but I do need 4 rounds of TC chemo (surprise!) starting this December. Boo.

Thanks again, Alto. -Renbird

• renbird
    Options

Hi Cutie-

Thanks for all this helpful info. May I ask: how did you find your naturopathic doc? What detox method did you use?

Turns out, after a lumpectomy and re-ex, I need a mastectomy and 4 rounds of TC chemo now, and would love to know more about your approach. Thank you! -Renbird

• wakemeup
    wakemeup Member Posts: 2
    Options

Three years ago I was diagnosed with Stage 1 invasive tubular carcinoma. I had a mastectomy without reconstruction. I didn't have radiation. I am happy with my decision although I am self conscious about having one breast when I go bra-less. I have had no pain or problems with my incision site. The only thing that itches sometimes is where my portacath was taken out. I hope this helps.

• wakemeup
    wakemeup Member Posts: 2
    Options

Make sure you totally trust your oncologist. I was Leary about mine because I am a nurse and knew how he was 20 some years ago. But he was highly recommended to me, so I went with him. Huge mistake!!! I am not seeing a different oncologist and was told by him (and another oncologist) that I was overdosed with the wrong medications for my type of cancer. So make sure you totally believe in and trust your oncologist. Go with your gut.

wakemeup

• renbird
    Options

Hi Cutie-

Circling back, now that I'm allllmost done with chemo... what were the detoxing supplements you were on, if I may ask? Did you have neuropathy in your hands or feet?

-Renbird

• msphil
    msphil Member Posts: 185
    Options

hello sweetie i had left mastectomy wanted lumpectomy because we were planning our wnd marriages. But decided along with fiance who suggested mastectomy so i wont always think of recurrence. Had reconstruction with one fillin in expander then i developed high high fever he rushed me to ER they immediately took me into surgery to remove it my body had rejected implant as foreign body. Im a 27yr Survivor this yr Praise God. msphil idc stage2 0/3 nodes 3mo chemo before and after Lmast got married then 7wks rads and 5yrs on Tamoxifen. Chemo cytoxin 5fu adriamycin. Hang in there.