Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Suspicious breast calcification

Options
Loveadiandjunebug
Loveadiandjunebug Member Posts: 4
edited August 2020 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

hi, so 3 weeks ago I had my normal yearly mammogram, came back suspicious, microcalcifications, had another " close look " mammogram ", which turned out not so good now i need a biopsy, very scared, of course. 5 years ago i had a "scare ", but after 3, 6 month mammograms, all was well. Now calcifications are in a different area. I already suffer from anxiety, so this is awful for me. I understand that many people have BC, and that little kids get diagnosed daily with cancer..:( i know that it's life, per say.. nothing is guaranteed.. trying my best to stay positive.

I was told birads 4, which I understand isn't the " worst", but also not the best. " they" said the microcalcifications are " different " than my other ones, hence the reason for a biopsy.

My parents both died young, mom 50, colon cancer, dad, 57, lung Cancer. So... maybe you can understand .why I'm beside myself. I go EVERY year for mammograms, physicals, and every 5 years for colonoscopy, per my Dr's recommendation.

Trying hard to not look for the rain, when the sunshine is in front of me.

Comments

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,939
    edited August 2020
    Options

You might need to move this to a more appropriate thread; I don't know if many people will notice it here. This is where the moderators and experts post information for people who have already been diagnosed.

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    beesie.is.out-of-office Member Posts: 1,435
    edited August 2020
    Options

Good that you started your own thread (to my previous post in reply to your other posting). This forum is for Mods posts only; I'm sure they will drop by and move this to the "Not Diagnosed but Worried" forum.

Get yourself a hard copy (or on-line copy) of the imaging reports. You always should get and keep copies of these reports.

The following website has a lot of information about calcifications. Based on how the calcifications are described on your report, you can see where you fit relative to the degree of risk. About 2/3 of the way down the above webpage, you come to the section on Suspicious Calcifications.

Differential of Breast Calcifications

And this webpage, Bi-RADS for Mammography and Ultrasound explains what a BIRADs 4 means, and also talks about which calcs would be BIRADs4:

BI-RADS 4

Suspicious Abnormality - Biopsy Should Be Considered:

This category is reserved for findings that do not have the classic appearance of malignancy but are sufficiently suspicious to justify a recommendation for biopsy.
    BI-RADS 4 has a wide range of probability of malignancy (2 - 95%).

Suspicious morphology

• Amorphous (BI-RADS 4B)
      So small and/or hazy in appearance that a more specific particle shape cannot be determined.
    • Coarse heterogeneous (BI-RADS 4B)
      Irregular, conspicuous calcifications that are generally between 0,5 mm and 1 mm and tend to coalesce but are smaller than dystrophic calcifications.
    • Fine pleomorphic (BI-RADS 4C)
      Usually more conspicuous than amorphous forms and are seen to have discrete shapes, without fine linear and linear branching forms, usually < 0,5 mm.
    • Fine linear or fine-linear branching (BI-RADS 4C)
      Thin, linear irregular calcifications, may be discontinuous, occasionally branching forms can be seen, usually < 0,5 mm.

Distribution of calcifications

The arrangement of calcifications, the distribution, is at least as important as morphology.
    These descriptors are arranged according to the risk of malignancy:

1. Diffuse: distributed randomly throughout the breast.
    2. Regional: occupying a large portion of breast tissue > 2 cm greatest dimension
    3. Grouped (historically cluster): few calcifications occupying a small portion of breast tissue: lower limit 5 calcifications within 1 cm and upper limit a larger number of calcifications within 2 cm.
    4. Linear: arranged in a line, which suggests deposits in a duct.
    5. Segmental: suggests deposits in a duct or ducts and their branches.

With calcifications, generally the risk of cancer is 20% - 30%. So the odds are in your favor that the biopsy results will be benign. When is your biopsy?

• Loveadiandjunebug
    Loveadiandjunebug Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2020
    Options

thanks for all the info.🙏

My biopsy is set for 8/20.