Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

A Bit Spooked by MRI

Options
bauhaus16
bauhaus16 Member Posts: 2
edited February 2021 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to never post here, but everyone seems to be so kind and helpful, and I've been lurking for a long time so figured I'd start posting, even if I hope my worry is short-lived. I'm 29 and have had chronic pain in my right breast for about 3 years. I was very taken aback by how sudden the pain was, and my doctors sent me for both a U/S and mammo at the time (both showed nothing; mammo also showed my breasts were very dense, obviously). The pain has continued on and off for the past 3 years, but was never tied to a mass. I was sent for a US after my annual gyn appointment this year, which found a benign lymph node and nothing else. I became concerned in August when I had one-time discharge from the same nipple. My gyn ran blood tests, which came back normal. She suggested a mammo, but based on the dense breasts finding from a few years ago (and my better insurance now), I demanded an MRI.

I got the MRI on Monday, and my results came through yesterday. My Dr still hasn't called me to go over them, but they basically say (I know the interpret your report thread is closed for the time being):

Similar appearing areas of nonmass enhancement at right 5:00 axis and right 12:00 axis.

At the right breast 5:00 axis, 1 cm posterior to the nipple, there is a 0.4 x 0.8 x 0.6 cm area of nonmass enhancement (axial image 38/192, sagittal image 83/298).

At the right breast 12:00 axis, 6.5 cm posterior to the nipple, there is a 0.5 x 0.9 x 0.8 cm area of nonmass enhancement (axial image 112/192, sagittal image 82/298).

Amount of fibroglandular tissue: Extreme fibroglandular tissue.

Background parenchymal enhancement: Minimal symmetric.

Biopsy of the right breast is recommended.

BI-RADS 4: SUSPICIOUS

I am obviously freaking out, these descriptions seem so non-specific. I don't even know what these sizes mean, in comparison? My doctor still has not called me. A friend who is in medical school and considered doing OB before deciding to do a different specialty has been helpful, but I guess I figured I'd post in case something comes of this and it could be helpful for others to see. I do want to thank all of you; I don't think I would have been insistent about the MRI without this website. It feels like I know so many people my age who are getting sick; so many more than the statistics would seem to bear out. Sending lots of support to everyone here.

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,921
    edited October 2020
    Options

Hi bauhaus16, and thanks for posting after being a member for so long!

We're so sorry you're here and worrying, but we're glad you've reached out. You're sure to get some great information and support here while you figure out what's going on. Others will surely be by soon to weigh in on your situation, but we wanted to send you a warm hello with lots of good wishes coming your way!

Please keep us posted with what you find out.

--The Mods

• bauhaus16
    bauhaus16 Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2020
    Options

Hi again,

A bit delayed here (of course, I had to go back for US, and then only one spot could be seen on US and one on MRI, necessitating two biopsies, etc.). I had an FNA on one spot that ended up being nondiagnostic/acellular, but I have a feeling I'm going to have to have that spot re-done with core biopsy or lumpectomy because the MRI-guided core biopsy just came back as (1) fibroadenoma with adenosis, (2) focal atypical ductal hyperplasia with dense stromal fibrosis, and (3) micocalcifications associated with benign lobules. I am calling a surgeon first thing tomorrow and hopefully can figure out next steps. Trying not to panic but it's not as nothing as I'd hoped! Going to poke around and find myself in the ADH threads now...

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    beesie.is.out-of-office Member Posts: 1,435
    edited November 2020
    Options

Usually the next step with ADH is an excisional (surgical) biopsy, removing the entire suspicious area to ensure that nothing more serious is lurking. About 20% of the time ADH is upgraded, usually to DCIS. The fact that your ADH is focal (limited to one spot) probably reduces that risk.

The other findings don't sound to be concerning.

Let us know what the surgeon says.

• lurker816
    lurker816 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2021
    Options

Just providing a small update here: had to wait a while for an appointment with a surgeon at Sloan. We re-biopsied the 5'o clock spot (CNB this time) which turned out to be another fibroadenoma, but no atypia near this one (just usual hyperplasia). The surgeon wants to go ahead with the excisional biopsy for the ADH just to be safe so I'm doing that at the end of the month. Trying to stay zen! Just figured I'd add a data point as I'm not quite out of the woods yet...