Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Joining the club - is my back pain/sciatica bone mets?

Options
13»

Comments

• fireflychaser
    fireflychaser Member Posts: 8
    edited December 2020
    Options

Thank you beeline, 2019whatayear, and MinusTwo for the advice. I will call my MO tomorrow and see what she says. In October my mom was diagnosed with stage 2B breast cancer (after beating ovarian 15 years ago), so my own diagnosis has been on my mind a lot lately. Then this thigh pain came out of (seemingly) nowhere, and... you know.

Beeline, congratulations on your good news!

• mudstick
    mudstick Member Posts: 53
    edited December 2020
    Options

Welcome TooQuiet - sorry you are here with pain and uncertainty as well. I hope you are able to get through to your MO today and can move on getting some answers to ease your anxiety. I totally "know" - our minds just jump there and reasoning sometimes just does not work....I'm sorry to hear that your Mom is going through BC treatment as well.

Maryjv - I hope your results are ready today, so you can get some answers too. Thinking of you!

Beeline - Yay!!! So happy for you that your scan was clear! What an enormous relief for you and your family. I hope the pain is subsiding and manageable.

LaughingGul - you mentioned that you were having an U/S on your neck a while back...did you have results or did I miss them somewhere? Hoping all is well.

Nothing new here - busy weekend again and just waiting for either MO to call or my appointment with RO on Wednesday. I'm convincing myself that my pain is all related to the combo of Chemo, Rads and Covid-19 restrictions which all decreased my activity level and muscle strength at the same time as I increased my curling up on the couch with bad posture! I'm working with a Kinesiologist on exercises to re-strengthen my back, glutes, neck and shoulders.

• maryjv
    maryjv Member Posts: 269
    edited December 2020
    Options

hello ladies! Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers...quick update...bone scan not available yet but my MO states the shoulder X-ray did not reveal any answers...based on what I described to her she thinks nerve damage, possibly pinched nerve? Idk she asked me to f/u with SO and PCP for MRI if the bone scan does not reveal anything...I have a f/u call with SO tomorrow so will keep u posted on bone scan! Oh I’m hoping and praying for pinched nerves

• mudstick
    edited December 2020
    Options

Fingers crossed for a pinched nerve for you as well!!!

• fireflychaser
    edited December 2020
    Options

Maryjv -- good luck with your follow up!

Mudstick -- thank you for the kind words. I called my MO's office and spoke with a nurse who said I should start with my PCP. I have an appointment tomorrow morning. Of course now my leg is feeling a bit better, so...who knows?

• mudstick
    edited December 2020
    Options

TooQuiet - happy to hear your leg is feeling better. Good luck at your appointment tomorrow.

I got an email from a teammate I played with on the weekend, she said she woke up this am with a sore throat. Out of an abundance of caution, she decided to get a Covid test. She has no known contacts or other likely exposure and we are in an area that takes public health very seriously (mask use accepted).

She's hoping to have the results by tomorrow night (tues), but until her results are confirmed, I'm supposed to isolate. That means I need to cancel my Physio appointment. Really, really hoping she gets a negative test by Wednesday so I can still go see my RO and hopefully discuss my bone scan results!!

• maryjv
    edited December 2020
    Options

Too quiet-so glad u are feeling better! Ugh, wish we didn't have to go sideways with any new ache and pain...

Mudstick-oh no! Hoping she gets the all clear by today as well! Keeping you in my thoughts...

• maryjv
    edited December 2020
    Options

Hello ladies-had my telehealth call with SO, reports the bone scan was all clear and is ordering MRI of lumbar region to determine if I have herniated discs and resulting pinched nerves. I thank GOD for the bone scan results and just hoping to get some pain relief soon...the tramadol, ibuprofen and gummies are not touching this pain at all...would consider gabapentin but I had such a bad reaction post surgery on the med...hoping everyone is doing okay

• mudstick
    edited December 2020
    Options

Maryjv - I'm so happy to hear that nothing concerning was seen on the bone scan!! However, so sorry that you are still so, so painful. I really hope your MRI is scheduled quickly and you can find answers in order to get relief. Having chronic pain is just a horrible thing :-(

My teammate emailed last night and her Covid test was Negative! Phew :-) I have my RO appointment later today. Will update when I can.

• beeline
    beeline Member Posts: 193
    edited December 2020
    Options

Maryjv - great news about the bone scan! I hope you can get to the bottom of the pain and find some relief soon.

Mudstick - whew, what a relief that your teammate tested negative. Good luck at the follow up today! Keep us posted!

• mudstick
    edited December 2020
    Options

TooQuiet - did your PCP have any wisdom at your appointment?

My RO didn't have too much to say at my appointment. She said that scans pick stuff up, whether they are significant or not. Which is of course what the rational part of my brain tells me. She does think it is a good idea to book a re-scan in 3 months to look for changes. So I'm back on the waiting train....I just have to try to put it out of my mind as best I can, and keep up with my exercises and physiotherapy.

I did stop and get some Christmas shopping done on my drive home, so it ended on a positive note!!!

• 2019whatayear
    2019whatayear Member Posts: 468
    edited December 2020
    Options

Maryjv - Oh wonderful news!

• maryjv
    edited December 2020
    Options

mudstick-happy she was able to give you some encouraging thoughts but I'm sorry you still have to wait until your follow up next month...how is your pain, improving with exercise and physio?

• fireflychaser
    edited December 2020
    Options

Mudstick -- I am sorry to hear that you are waiting again. Hopefully you can find ways to stay sane and keep your mind otherwise occupied.

My PCP suspects that I have inflammation somewhere in the pelvic/hip area pressing on a nerve and causing general pain. She sent me for an X-Ray, and results came back this morning as totally normal. She gave me prednisone RX, stretches, strengthening exercises, and instructions to ice. I think she is right, because it feels like the steroid is already helping, even with two hours of snow shoveling today! I see her again in three weeks.

• denise35
    denise35 Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2020
    Options

mudstick - keeping you in my thoughts and prayers as you wait for another scan. The waiting is never easy but hopefully you can keep busy and your mind occupied. I have always had to be intentional about staying focused on the positive and not letting my mind get too far ahead. Easier said then done when you have been through what we have.

maryjv - yay for a clear bone scan! So happy to read that update.

Wishing everyone a blessed holiday season! I hate cancer so much but I am thankful for a place to share and be encouraged from people that truly understand what it is like to battle this monster. Continued prayers for you all.

• maryjv
    edited December 2020
    Options

Thanks Denise! I am keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers and also very glad we have this wonderful place to share and cry and laugh together! F** cancer!!!

• mudstick
    edited December 2020
    Options

Wishing everyone all the best the season can bring with comfort and joy. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Thank you to everyone who takes time to provide support, kindness and encouragement to everyone on these boards and going through all the struggles that 2020 has thrown at all of us and our families.

• mudstick
    edited March 2021
    Options

I'm just popping back in to say that my 3 month wait for a repeat bone scan is almost over! I'm scheduled tomorrow morning to see if there are any changes since my scan in December 2020.

In December, the report noted a small spot on my skull and another on my sacrum that had a very low likelihood of Mets, but they also couldn't 100% rule out early metastases. My tailbone still feels bruised, but the pain hasn't really changed or worsened. My back pain hasn't really changed either, so I can attribute it to arthritis that was seen on previous scans and x-rays. I'm actually feeling fairly positive and I'm not nearly as anxious as I was in December.

Fingers crossed that I can move my story over to the "Scares that Turned out to be Nothing" thread !!!

Hoping everyone is doing well and that your pain is either resolved or you are managing without any worsening pain or bad news :-)

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,603
    edited March 2021
    Options

Mudstick, I'm hoping for good scan results for you. It would be great to move to the "Turned Out To Be Nothing!" thread!

Happy

Let us know...

(((hugs))) Carol

• 2019whatayear
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hoping you get some great news!

• mudstick
    edited March 2021
    Options

Scan done and already reported already on MyChart :-)

1. No convincing scintigraphic evidence of osseous metastases. No concerning focal activity within the inferior sacrum. Re-demonstration of focal activity overlying the anterior aspect of the maxilla, likely secondary to odontogenic process. (I guess this is what the previous report thought was on the left side of my skull?)
    2. Ongoing pattern of findings likely consistent with degenerative/arthritic changes.
    3. Mild heterogeneous activity overlying frontal bones, slight interval change of mild focal prominence on right suture line, likely representing hyperostosis frontalis; attention on follow-up.

I'm choosing to believe that all is benign (I looked up hyperostosis frontalis and it is a benign process). I'll see if my oncologist has anything different to say, but it looks like I'm in the clear (Happy Dance)!!!

• laughinggull
    laughinggull Member Posts: 511
    edited March 2021
    Options

Excellent news! So happy for you

Heart

• oreolau
    oreolau Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2021
    Options

Thank you so much for posting! This sounds a lot like me, so I’ll be on the phone soon to my MO

• 2019whatayear
    edited March 2021
    Options

great news!!!