Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

19 years at Stage 4 MBC de novo!

denny123
denny123 Member Posts: 1,440

Well, I did it! So far, so (almost) good. Today is the beginning of my 19th year after being diagnosed with Stage 4 MBC de novo. I started out with metastasis to my liver (now clear), then about 11 years ago, I had metastasis to 2 chest nodes (also cleared). Now it seems that I have metastasis to my ribs. I am still hanging in here but 19 years of chemo is a very longggg time. Besides being afraid of death by cancer, I am also haunted by Covid19. As I hibernate as much as possible....

I am currently on Xeloda and Herceptin, but that may change after my April CT scan.

Comments

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071

Denny, WOOHOO!!!! That is such wonderful news to share with everyone here. I hope you post again next year, and the next, and the next, etc. I am doing the happy dance for you and for the hope you are giving to so many others.

Hugs and prayers from, Lynne

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 957

Way to go Denny! Thanks for checking in on this anniversary! Nineteen years-amazing! Your story helps me to be less afraid of progression. Before this I couldn't even imagine living 19 years with MBC-maybe 10 years at best. Hope your hibernation can end soon with the Covid vaccine and that your cancer goes back to sleep (or better yet, disappears). Let's keep hoping for a cure to cancer.

• finallyoverit
    finallyoverit Member Posts: 133

@Demny ~ What amazing news! 19 years is incredible. Keep doing you! I hope to follow in your footsteps. Thanks for posting. It gives a lot of us great hope.

• bestbird
    bestbird Member Posts: 232

Congratulations on 19 years, and wishing you many, many more!

• olma61
    olma61 Member Posts: 1,016

Great to hear it, Denny! A dozen virtual roses 🌹 and keep on going

• snow-drop
    snow-drop Member Posts: 517

Denny, Congratulations on 19 years, it is really impressive and wishing you many many more years🍾 🤗

Edited to add: Would you mind if you share your inspirational story in DeNovo stage 4 thread as well? https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/8/topics/876918?page=14#idx_414

• denny123

Thanks ladies!

Snow-drop!! Thanks for giving me the de novo topic link!! I didn't know that there was one!!!!!

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,656

Snow-drop, I thanked you in the de novo thread, but I also wanted to thank you here for pointing Denny to our thread.

I’m in awe of you, Denny. I hope you get much more time to celebrate the right way, after COVID is over.

• meja
    meja Member Posts: 81

Dear Denny,

Congratulations, - thank you for sharing your story.
    May you celebrate many more years.

Meja
  • aprilgirl1
    aprilgirl1 Member Posts: 750

Congratulations and thank you for sharing! It gives us all hope:) It is so impressive - may you continue to thrive and celebrate many more years!

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,856

AWESOME!! Denny, you've made my day, my whole Christmas season. Wishing you all the best in treatment outcomes, whatever those treatments may be, for many years to come.

• denny123

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the kind words! May you all have a Blessed Holiday!

Denise

• ChathamLady
    ChathamLady Member Posts: 49

Thank you for your story and for the inspiration

I was just diagnosed today

Had lumpectomy for stage 1 cancer in December. Had a back ache right after and now the scans show tumors in my spine and pelvis. I was diligent about annual memos didn’t catch what was lurking

starting chemo and radiation next week. No details yet.

I’m devastated as is my family. I don’t know where to start. The list feels endless

Any guidance and getting started and survive the journey would be appreciated from the depths of my heart

• denny123

Chatham...thanks for the kind words. Chemo is so much easier than it was when I started, so try not to be fearful of the possible side effects.

When your onc tells you what kind of chemo you will be on, search on this site for a thread/threads on that particular chemo/chemos. Feel free to ask the participants anything about your treatment since we are all here to help you.

I have learned to eat everything in moderation, within reason. I don't drink alcohol, eat pure soy, or take any alternative "cure" supplements. The supplements will keep your chemo from working. Your onc will prescribe what you need according to your bloodwork.

It is great that you caught the BC early, and I am sorry that it has spread, which puts you into a higher stage. But you can do this! Have faith!

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,690

Denny,

I somehow missed this thread. My most heartfelt congratulations on reaching this amazing mark! May you continue to thrive and may more and more follow in your footsteps

• denny123

exbrn...thanks! Doing my best to make it to 20 years. Therefore, I am pretty much hibernating.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 5,965

Denny, I, too, somehow missed this thread of yours. May I say thank you for being a continual inspiration to all of us. Congratulations on 19 years and counting! Your story always gives me such great hope.

Btw, I'm just recovering from covid so it is survivable. Dh and and I both had it, no idea where we got it as we've religiously practiced all the guidelines for almost a year, no large gatherings, social distancing, mask wearing and hand washing since the pandemic began, been getting Walmart grocery pickup since summer. My fever lasted 13 days. Dh had no fever andless severe symptoms than me. I will get the vaccine as soon as I'm eligible tho.

Again, congrats on 19 years

• cure-ious
    cure-ious Member Posts: 2,715

Denny, Congratulations on a stunning and just remarkable achievement!! How on earth are you not shellshocked from the cumulative stress of all the scans & exams & scares? I'm figuring that might be what takes me in the end..

• denny123

Divine...thanks! Good to know that you survived Covid! I have another Stage 4 friend who survived but gets severe headaches daily.

I get WalMart pick-up and go to chemo. I do watch my 8 years old grandson 2-3 days a week, and do my best to keep a mask on the whole time....but that is so hard.

Cure...thanks! 19 years of scans every 3-4 months gets better with time. The most stressful time is when I have growing mets. I will get the next scan in April to determine if my spot on my left rib is spread. Here we go again. I just have to remember how horrible it was in 2004 when my liver was so filled with tumors that I only had a year to live. NOTHING compares to that stress!!! So everything else pales in comparison.

• cyathea
    cyathea Member Posts: 327

Thanks for sharing this wonderful milestone Denny123. I hope your current chemo keeps those mets from spreading!

It is encouraging to hear that a body can do so well on 19 years of treatment. I’m sure it wasn’t easy. I hope to follow in your footsteps

• denny123

cyathea-thanks so much! I have aches and pains, but so do my non-cancer friends. So I can't really blame them on chemo.

And I am 71, so there is that.....

• ChathamLady
    ChathamLady Member Posts: 49

Thank you. I am still processing a great deal - as you all did. My radiation starts today - 10 treatments to reduce the pressure on my spine, and the pine and neurological consequences. The steriods have helped - at least now I can stand up and shower :)

Medical Onc. on Thursday - we will see what that brings - my onco type on BC was very low so not sure what that means for MBC

ER+ so here come the hormones and probably some bone strengthening meds.

All I can do is put one foot forward, accept the kindness and support of my friends and family and try to find hope and faith - which again I am assuming sounds very familiar to anyone reading this

All insights from this incredibly strong group are appreciated