Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Mammogram frequency after cancer

What have you heard or experienced about this... My oncologist will not allow me an 18 month after breast cancer mammogram , yet aren't you supposed to get mammos every six months for the first two years? If so, does anyone know a way to get one without an onco referral? thank you!

Comments

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited December 2020

The official guidelines are annual mammography. Every 3-6 months a physical with physician palpating/examining remaining breast tissue, lymph nodes, liver etc..

" physical examination every 3 to 6 mo for the first 3 y after primary therapy, every 6‐12 mo for the next 2 y, and annually thereafter"

"should refer women who have received a unilateral mastectomy for annual mammography on the intact breast and, for those with lumpectomies, an annual mammography of both breasts "

https://acsjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/fu...

I got my referrals from my GP. Do you have a family physician? It doesn't have to the oncologist who does the follow up. In our system, we get discharged from MOs care when we're finished treatment & the GP takes over.

• flashlight
    flashlight Member Posts: 311
    edited December 2020

Hi Togethertolear, I was told 6-months after radiation then yearly if no issues. Script for possible ultrasound and always 3D. My MO told me there was a problem getting her patients to come in for a mammogram due to Covid. Before BC my PCP ordered the mammogram. 18-months is way too long to wait.

• Togethertolearn
    Togethertolearn Member Posts: 224
    edited January 2021

After being told it would probably get cancelled since I wasn't supposed to get one (thatstill makes no sense), I got a mammo today, my OB helped pull it through. Only it was scheduled wrong so I had to wait and get two sets of pics but I didn't care - right side where cancer was is fine! Left side results will be sent in the mail. They were very very nice. A huge load off my mind to get a mammo 18 months after. Don't give up if you want one, someone somewhere will listen!

• priss1
    priss1 Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2022

I was diagnosed with Stage I in 2014 in right breast. I had a mammogram for 2 years every 6 months. In January 2021 a small (4mm) simple cyst was found in my left breast. I had a follow up diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound 6 months later and the cyst had grown to 5mm. I had another follow up mammogram and ultrasound 6 months later, and the cyst had grown to 6mm. The radiologist did not recommend another follow up in 6 months but rather just have my annual mammogram in 1 year. Since the cyst seems to be increasing in size every 6 months, I pressed my oncologist to have another mammogram and ultrasound in 6 months and not wait another year. (She reluctantly agreed).