Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Apparently I Am "Just Diagnosed." :(

Options

Comments

• lw422
    lw422 Member Posts: 1,399
    edited February 2021
    Options

I've got my lint rollers ready, -2!! I need a rake to get all the long hair out of the bedroom carpet; it really decided to "let loose" today.

• lw422
    edited February 2021
    Options

I didn't do so well at the salon. When my stylist made the first cut, big ole' tears started to fall. It's like cancer is taking everything from me these days. Anyhow, now I have my "boy hair" and I really hate it, but it will all be gone in a few days so what difference does it make anyhow. :-s

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,090
    edited February 2021
    Options

LW - I hated 'boy hair' too, but as you said - it won't last long. Hang in there girl.

When my hair started growing back, I was so excited to get enough for a 'pixie'. Still, I've spent 95% of my life with long hair - at least shoulder length but often much longer. It was a major downer. I actually never bothered to grow my hair out again since 2014. But now...Covid hair and I look sort of like a witch. Hmmm - what to do. Think I'll try to get it trimmed to shoulder length.

• lw422
    edited February 2021
    Options

-2, I'm just having a couple of down days. My cup is half empty right now and I'm in full blown "poor me" mode.

• harley07
    harley07 Member Posts: 279
    edited February 2021
    Options

LW422 - please be good to yourself. You have had your world turned upside down in the past few weeks so allow yourself to grieve the loss of what was. Hang in there - we are thinking of you

• Astrid
    Astrid Member Posts: 1,033
    edited February 2021
    Options

it is horrible LW, but you can do this.image

• lw422
    edited February 2021
    Options

Harley and Astrid-- thanks bunches. I'm having one of those "circling the drain" days. Boo hoo, poor me. :crybaby:

• beaverntx
    beaverntx Member Posts: 2,962
    edited February 2021
    Options

LW, one of the many books I read/looked at about being diagnosed with cancer devoted an entire section to giving permission to yourself to cry when you need to. So go ahead and boo hoo today and then show up tomorrow.

• yesiamadragon
    yesiamadragon Member Posts: 343
    edited March 2021
    Options

Oh my goodness LW< you were JUST diagnosed and JUST started chemo! Holy cow, give yourself time to cry, take a nice bath, it is all ok.

I shaved my head when my hair just started falling out ALL AT ONCE! It was weird. I had long very thick curly hair. I was surprised how people didn't notice that I was wearing a wig! They just thought I had suddenly gotten a hair cut, straightened and highlighted. At any rate, as my family joked, it has so far grown back straight, but given that it is still quite short and I have been having to cut it myself during COVID, that is probably for the best. Growing out curly hair is a nightmare.

But none of that do you need to even think about yet. Right now, you are of course completely allowed to be as glass-half-empty as you feel! It is completely fine to be not fine!

• minustwo
    edited March 2021
    Options

LW - when's your next chemo?

On the plus side- with 82 degree weather your head won't be cold - I'm LOL even though I KNOW it's not really funny to you right now. Hang in there girl. And yes, do take time to grieve.

• lw422
    edited March 2021
    Options

Thanks, all. It's just "one foot in front of the other" these days. My next chemo is on Wednesday. Other than emo, I'm feeling pretty good these days and not having significant SE's, so I'm grateful for that at least.

• ShazzaH
    ShazzaH Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hi, I’ve only just seen your post from December because I haven’t logged in for ages. I just wondered how you got on & what they eventually diagnosed you with, and how treatment is going if it was BC? 

I was diagnosed with IBC 3 years ago. 

• lw422
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hello Shazza. I was diagnosed with IDC and IBC. So far my treatment has been chemotherapy (Taxol). I will follow Taxol with AC, then mastectomy, then radiation.

• pesky904
    pesky904 Member Posts: 263
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hi LW422, just wondering how you're doing? Can I ask your age/are you pre/peri/post menopausal?

I too had a thickened endometerium last year (3 years post stage III TNBC dx). Had the biopsy, turned out okay and was supposed to have a follow up transvaginal US last fall but because of Covid I've been putting everything off.

• lw422
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hello Pesky (cute nickname!) I'm way past menopause; in my late 60's. I'm doing OK except I have cancer. :biggrin: I'm certainly no expert, but I'd say if you had a clean biopsy last year, it's no biggie to postpone the followup for a bit. I hope everything turns out well for you. I had already decided that if there were malignant cells in my uterus, I'd be happy to let it go. My GYN said a hysterectomy would be done at the same time as my mastectomy, but as it turned out I don't need it after all.

• DH320
    DH320 Member Posts: 21
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hi,

I've been diagnosed in January and are still trying to process. I stumbled across your pages googling.

I still got one more mri guided biopsy in front of me and then my docs deciding which way we're going.

I have a invasive ductal carcinoma 2.8cm right breast with axillary metastasis. After a mri they found a 1cm irregular mass and enlarged lymph node in the left breast. At the moment I'm feeling helpless and overwhelmed.

• lw422
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hello DH320 and welcome to the club no one wants to join. We can all understand how you are feeling right now, so feel free to talk about your fears and ask any questions. We'll try to help if only to let you know that we are here, and we understand. Once you get a full diagnosis and a treatment plan in place, you won't feel quite as anxious. It is a bumpy ride, but we are here for you.

• lw422
    edited March 2021
    Options

So today my treatment room was near the nurse's station. Two of the nurses were discussing another patient who had died and I found it extremely distasteful. Apparently the woman had been diagnosed and then lived less than 6 months, and they were saying how sad it is.

Yes, it's sad. It also does not need to be discussed where nervous people currently in treatment can hear you. I guess I'm more sensitive than I used to be about stuff.

• Astrid
    edited March 2021
    Options

Absolutely. Sensitivity to working environment is key. A word or email to N.IC might benefit them and help fine their care.

How are you doing L-Dub? Heart

• lw422
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hey Astrid. I'm doing well; how are you? I have Taxol #3 under my belt as of today, so moving right along.

I get "patient surveys" periodically so I will definitely send my thoughts on the nurses' discussion today. I was surprised that they were not more sensitive to their work environment.

• Astrid
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hi and welcome DH320.

So sorry you are going through this, but glad you found this wonderful website.

Once you have your full diagnosis you can find a few threads here that you relate to, like for chemo or radiation treatment, staging, or type of cancer like your IDC and also your hormonal status.

So much to go through yet, and no wonder you are feeling overwhelmed!

Keep us posted as you get more unfo. It sounds like you might have bi-lateral breast cancer. I had that..and went through double mastectomy and lymph node removal. I'm stull here many years later, despite some local recurrences.

A day at a time.

Sending you a cyber hug

Astrid.Heart

• lw422
    edited March 2021
    Options

So Taxol #4 is in the record books, and so far all is well. I am noticing some improvement in my cancerous breast; swelling has gone down and it is not as tender feeling. I'm very hopeful that this is an indicator that the Taxol is doing its job. I have settled into my treatment and finally have reached a level of calm. I wouldn't have believed it possible a month ago and I'm so grateful.

• lw422
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hey there Jana! Hope you are doing well these days. My chemo schedule at MDA seems to have permanently migrated to League City. I'm not really happy about that but I'm sure they are trying to get everyone scheduled somewhere so I'll just take it as it comes. I have an ultrasound later this month at Mays, I assume to see how things are progressing. Take care.

• minustwo
    edited March 2021
    Options

LW - I agree. So glad you've "settled in", but sorry you're having to trek to League City. Will Taxol be your only chemo? Have they talked about "down the road"? Do you expect to have surgery after chemo. Was there a discussion about rads?

• lw422
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hey -2. Yes, I will be having dose-dense AC after Taxol, then a mastectomy, then radiation. I get the "full monte." :biggrin: That is pretty much the standard for IBC. I'm dreading AC because I know it will be harder than Taxol, but we gotta do what we gotta do!

I don't like the League City facility as much as Mays or the main MDA building, but I suppose that's a small thing in the grand scheme. This week I had to have blood work at Mays, meet with my MO there, then drive to League City for the chemo...ugh. That was a long day. Most times the lab work is done at the same place as chemo but I guess since I had my meeting with the doctor they did it there.

Hope things are going well for you.

• Astrid
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hi LW

Glad to hear your breast feels a bit different. It sounds very positive.

It sucks that you have to travel so much

But wonderful to read that you now feel a sense of calm.

That is soooo good.

HeartAstrid.

• lw422
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hey there Astrid. I hope all is well with you. I'm feeling pretty good these days and so glad the initial anxiety has settled down. These 2 months seemed like years to me. Take care.

• lw422
    edited March 2021
    Options

So this week I'll be halfway done with Taxol, and I have to say that it has been fairly easy thus far. I'm dreading what's to come, but dread is my constant companion since January.

Where did my life go? :crybaby:

• minustwo
    edited March 2021
    Options

LW- thanks for checking in. I have been wondering how you're doing. Sounds OK other than the constant driving.

• lw422
    edited March 2021
    Options

Thanks, -2. Just when I thought I was getting a grip, another unscheduled pity party. I hate my life right now.