Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Apparently I Am "Just Diagnosed." :(

Options

Comments

• lw422
    lw422 Member Posts: 1,399
    edited February 2021
    Options

Hi Astrid. The port is pretty sore today; seems to "pull" when I turn my head but I'm sure it will be better as it heals. I slept really well, probably aided by the pain pill. :biggrin:

I have already decided against the clinical trial for several reasons. Mainly that I want to focus on standard treatment and not have so much on my plate at once.

How are you these days?

• Astrid
    Astrid Member Posts: 1,033
    edited February 2021
    Options

sleep is good! Soooo good!!😀

My port scar still hurts til this day. Nasty thick keloid thing. Was put in the left side instead of right because person installing could not find a vein. (Apparently). Before I went under, I heard her arguing with staff too. Should have run right there and then.Happyah well...most people have no trouble with them though and so beneficial for use.

Yeah, you have to do what is right for you L Dub.

Me? All good. Beautiful weather here today. Took doggie for long walk.

One day at a time.

You've got this.

Hug

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,082
    edited February 2021
    Options

LW - hooray that you felt you could communicate with your MO. And great the the port is installed,. Once past the initial surgical issues, I never had problems or pain with my port; Hopefully that will subside. Personally I agree with your "trial" decision. I didn't participate, and although I feel guilty, I thought my reasons were valid.

• lw422
    edited February 2021
    Options

Astrid--sorry about the scar; just consider it a battle wound.

The morning of my port surgery, it seemed like I waited forever in the surgical prep area. The doctor finally came in and was very personable, bragging about how many ports he has inserted and his extremely low "failure rate." He called my husband from the room and told him I was headed into the OR and it would be about an hour.

Well. A nurse came in and they huddled a minute, then he told me that the patient before me had a kink or something in her port line (seen on after-surgical x-ray). He had to delay my surgery to re-do hers. HAHA That did not instill the greatest confidence but when he finally got to me everything went well.

• lw422
    edited February 2021
    Options

Hey -2. Yes, I was relieved that my oncologist seemed to communicate well. I learned from reading about him online that he is a 2-time cancer survivor. Though I hated to hear that he had had cancer, it made me glad to know that he understands what it's like to sit in MY chair.

Funny but after I decided that I would not participate in the trial, I called to notify the researcher and she told me that my insurance company had declined to pay for the trial procedures anyway; they consider them "experimental." I'll take that as a sign that I made the right decision, lol.

• Astrid
    edited February 2021
    Options

arggh!

Rotten luck. But he sounds thoughtful and nice. Excellent. Having a great team is so important.🙂🌾

• lw422
    edited February 2021
    Options

My port seems to be healing nicely and isn't as sore as it was. After meeting with my MO I got the great news that my endometrium (uterine lining) is thickened and he wanted me to have a gynecological consultation. Of course this resulted in a uterine biopsy today, which hurt so bad I wanted to stand up in the stirrups and scream. I am really, really tired of all the never-ending tests, scans, biopsies, consultations, labwork... it just goes on forever.

Blah, blah, whine, cry, meltdown. Welcome to Cancer Town, the place of nightmares. Where did the old me go? I want her back, please.

• Astrid
    edited February 2021
    Options

oh you poor darling. How awful LW.

So unexpected I'll bet. Sounds horrendous.

Gee, let's hope it is nothing too sinister.

Uggh!

Does this mean they found no evidence of spread in your scans so far? I hope so! I mean apart from this uterine news.

🙏💟

• lw422
    edited February 2021
    Options

Hi Astrid. Thanks for the emotional support; I feel like everything in my life is out of control right now. On the off chance that I have cancerous or pre-cancerous cells in my uterus, they will remove it at the same time as my mastectomy... so a real party! Neither the oncologist nor the gynocologist believe the uterine thickening has anything to do with my breast cancer, so at least I'm spared the "mets" label ... I HOPE.

I have a history of uterine polyps so they are speculating that this is "just another" so I will have to hang on to that, though I suppose I really don't care whether they remove my uterus or not. One less useless organ to worry about.

I'm sorry I'm such a downer these days. I hope you are doing well, and thanks for helping me through this ugly maze.

• Astrid
    edited February 2021
    Options

yeah, it does sound like a seperate issue for you but not what you would want to go through right now. I would think crying and wailing is a completely sane response at this time in your life.Hug

Time to treasure tiny victories as they come.

Moments shared with your husband, time out from your 'job' anf its endless apts, and rollercoaster meetings...just stretching out small moments of peace and quiet.

Chemo is do able and hair does come back.

You are close to knowing exactly where your body is at...so far it seems maybe no spread, which is worth celebrating.

We are all here for you LW. Hang in there. Small steps.

💟🌺💟

• blue22
    blue22 Member Posts: 172
    edited February 2021
    Options

Hi LW,

I wanted to check in and see how you are doing. The Uterine biopsy does not sound like fun. I have also had uterine polyps, and had to have them removed ~ 1 year before being diagnosed with IBC. Interesting coincidence...

I'm glad the port surgery went well. My surgery went well, but it did bother me for months until suddenly it was like it wasn't even there anymore and I didn't notice it at all.

Hope you have a good weekend!

blue

• minustwo
    edited February 2021
    Options

Just chiming in to say - you have permission to take the weekend off & do something fun. Yeah right, except there Covid. Oh well. Hope you can find some things to distract your mind from cancer.

Wrenn is right. Tell it like it is!!! And it ain't all roses but we move forward.

Sounds like they're talking about taking the uterus and leaving the ovaries? I'm guessing because you're not ER+?? Losing my uterus was the best thing I ever did. Can't figure out why I didn't agree sooner. But I hope they can so a vaginal removal so you don't have another area to heal. If you don't want both surgeries at the same time - remember it is YOUR choice.

• lw422
    edited February 2021
    Options

Astrid--you are always so comforting, and I appreciate every comfort these days. I was just thinking back to December and how "a small cancer victory" was the farthest thing from my mind. My, how times have changed.

Blue--I was thinking about you earlier today. How's it going? I feel like all I do is talk about myself; I seem to forget that all of you are fighting your own battles... yet you take time for me. It's such a blessing.

Hi Wrenn. So nice to hear from you. You are so right; nothing about BC should be sugar coated. The emotions are raw and they are real.

I have had a uterine biopsy in the past (2012) and I still remembered how much that hurt. So I knew it was going to be unpleasant but I didn't count on it being such a damn horror. I will never let them do that to me again unless I'm sedated.

Hey there -2! Isn't this weather just peachy? I have been cold all day and the rain just makes it feel colder.

I assume they'll take the uterus vaginally if it needs to come out. Neither doctor seemed particularly concerned about it one way or another, which makes me wonder how much of this stuff is just a money grab. (Yeah, I know I'm cynical but I guess I'm entitled to be.) If they decide to remove it then doing it at the same time as the mastectomy will be fine with me. No mention of the ovaries except that they are pretty much a non-issue since I'm way past menopause.

• lw422
    edited February 2021
    Options

Wrenn--I'm sure if it's benign they won't remove it. They might decide I need the polyp removed or a D&C, but that remains to be seen and won't happen until my BC treatment is complete. Guess I'll find out next week.

• Astrid
    edited February 2021
    Options

Hey wrenn,

I remember my b.s. told me she put anaesthetic in with the wound stitches. I think that helps for awhile after. I just remember the 3rd(or is 4th) day blues. Nurses said it is very common.

• blue22
    edited February 2021
    Options

Hey LW how are you doing?

I remember I was very nervous/scared before my first infusion. In addition to the chemo training I had with a nurse a day or so ahead of time, I had take home reading about the possible side effects of the clinical trial meds. One of the rare side effects of the trial drugs was downright terrifying, sounded worse than death. Luckily my MO was very patient and talked me through everything at each step of the way, including explaining that the side effects in the paperwork were extremely unlikely. I was also lucky to have great nurses who were also very patient. It was actually quite easy. They gave me pre-meds that made the whole procedure quite tolerable.

Wishing you good luck!

Blue

• minustwo
    edited February 2021
    Options

LW - good luck tomorrow. We'll be thinking of you.

• lw422
    edited February 2021
    Options

Hey Blue. I posted yesterday in the February Chemo thread... I am very anxious and somewhat annoyed that I'm supposed to have chemo on Tuesday but have had NO information about what to do or what to expect on that day. I'd think that an organization such as MD Anderson would make sure that cancer patients are properly instructed in such matters... such as should I take my prescription medications, what to bring, etc. How great that you got instruction from a chemo nurse; something apparently I DO NOT receive, about such a stressful event.

I sent a message to my MO but he hasn't responded. So right now I'm anxious about the chemo, but extremely irritated that I feel I'm not getting sufficient information from people who are supposed to be guiding me. I don't know if they dropped the ball, but it does not give me a good feeling.

Sorry if I sound cranky, but I'm pretty irritated. I appreciate you checking on me and your good wishes. Thanks very much.

• lw422
    edited February 2021
    Options

Thanks, -2! My chemo is Tuesday but I'll take all the positive vibes on any day!!

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 955
    edited February 2021
    Options

I had no instruction before my chemo started either. During my first infusion, a nurse sat down with me and spent about 45 minutes going through a teaching packet and giving me a chance to ask questions. Still, I agree--some information beforehand would be better.

There wasn't much I typically brought to chemo. I have a cozy "nap" blanket from Brookstone and I brought that to all the sessions. They had blankets there, of course, but I liked having my blankie with me.

• lw422
    edited February 2021
    Options

Hey SB. I'm more concerned about whether I should take my blood pressure medicine as usual and that type of thing. I don't want to find out when I get there that something I did will cause the treatment to be delayed or rescheduled. I'm such a bundle of nerves that it doesn't take much to set me off these days.

I'd like for the monolith of MD Anderson to realize that there are PEOPLE being treated there, and a little humanity would be nice.

As always, thanks for your comments; I appreciate the help.

• sbelizabeth
    edited February 2021
    Options

Hi, LW422. I don't think I've heard anyone, either in real life or online, state their chemo was delayed because they were taking their blood pressure medicine. I can't think of a reason most of the medicines we are frequently prescribed would interfere with chemo.

That being said...YES, MD Anderson should include, in that vast cancer treating machinery of theirs, a simple handout that addresses what to take/not take, what to bring/not bring, who can drive themselves, who should bring a driver, stuff like that. The absence of such a handout probably means it hasn't occurred to them, and they figure they can do all the appropriate teaching at the first chemo session.

The nurses in my infusion room were kind, compassionate, skillful, and friendly. If you suggest they provide a pre-chemo flyer for patients anticipating their first round, your own nurses might leap at the chance to be helpful.

Let's raise a glass to Tuesday! It's the day when the grand plan is launched. I bet this whole thing feels like a huge, interminable unknown. For me, anyway, it felt better when it all got started and I could begin to click off the days and months until it would all be behind me. I hope it's that way for you, too.

• mightlybird01
    mightlybird01 Member Posts: 161
    edited February 2021
    Options

LW422, you have all reasons to be unsettled about not getting information before. I took my chemo at a small local hospital where I had at least 2 weeks before a 1 on 1 teaching session with my oncologists nurse, going over all chemo drugs, their side effects, when to expect hair loss, or any question I had. I had to provide all my medications (which I had non) and supplements (Vitamin D and Mg) and I also got a sheet which stated exactly for which symptoms I should and for which I should not call her. I did my chemo at my small local hospital, even though my main treatment center was a University hospital (NCI cancer center) a bit further away. After talking with the oncologist at the University hospital, she encouraged me that I could just as well do chemo closer to home in a smaller center, and I am so glad I did. So basically I had 2 oncologists, one locally who I saw before every single chemo and one just overseeing the whole thing from a distance at the large University hospital, where I did my surgery afterwards and all imaging. They really worked very well together (even across state lines). I think I got great care at that local hospital, much less people and much more personal care. I guess I had the best of both worlds.

• lw422
    edited February 2021
    Options

Thanks everyone. I called the chemo nurse this morning and got my questions answered. She also said they "will go over everything in the morning," which wouldn't have helped if I took any medication that would be contraindicated tomorrow. There are just a few things that need to be communicated in advance of treatment date.

Thanks for the link, Melissa. I found that last night but it's 72 pages of stuff when I only wanted a few questions answered. I think SBElizabeth's suggestion of a 1-page handout is excellent.

Mightybird--there are satellite locations for MD Anderson treatment facilities but none of them are any closer to me than the Medical Center. I'd love to be treated in a smaller, more "patient friendly" location. I'm sure when I learn the ropes and get into treatment I'll settle down, but I'm tired of feeling frantic all the damn time.

I appreciate everyone's help very much.

• Astrid
    edited February 2021
    Options

so glad you got the answers you needed LW. Heart

The cyberbus will be parked outside waiting post tx. Xx

Beautiful post sbelizabeth.

• lw422
    edited February 2021
    Options

Hey Astrid. As always, thanks for your kindness. I am settled down a bit, but I've had a busy day getting laundry caught up and planning some meals for this week. I'll be glad to have tomorrow in my rearview mirror and hopefully calm down some. I feel like I have been in turmoil for two solid months and I just want to relax.

I appreciate everyone's posts and generous sharing so very much; it really helps when navigating unknown waters.

• blue22
    edited February 2021
    Options

Hi LW,

I'm surprised they don't teach ahead of time. My understanding was that it is routine for my cancer center to do the chemo teach on a separate day. I remember that was something that could have delayed starting chemo, but my MO was able to get me in for a session ASAP. I also had sessions before radiation and surgery... At each one of these I received hand outs and my husband and daughter were able to attend (per-covid) and ask as many questions as they wanted. I think it is better to digest information ahead of time when you are not anxious about treatment that same day... and it gives you a chance to ask more questions after you have had a chance to digest!

I'm glad you were able to reach the nurse!

I recommend bringing something to do and to distract you while you are there. If you get pre-meds it makes the process take quite a while, and they will likely want to keep you for a bit afterwards for observation. You could download a podcast, bring a book etc. I HIGHLY recommend looking into specific meditations/relaxing podcasts/recordings for treatment. There are a lot of these online if you look. You might also find that you fall asleep - I had Benadryl as one of my pre-meds and it made me drowsy.

I also watched movies a lot, basically you want something distracting that makes the time fly by.

Did they give you lidocaine for your port? If not, not a big deal, but I ask about it. That way you don't feel a think when they access it.

Take Care,

Blue

• lw422
    edited February 2021
    Options

Hey Blue. Yep, tomorrow's the big day. I was disappointed that MDA didn't provide more information in advance, but at least I got some answers when I called. I'm not taking anything with me tomorrow except my phone; I figure I'll be too wired to read or watch videos anyway.

Yes, I got the Lidocaine. I'm glad you mentioned that; I need to go put some plastic wrap in a baggie. I asked the nurse today about the steri-strips that are still on my port incision; she said to leave them be because the port is actually below where the strips are. Who knew?

I will be happy to finally begin treatment and hope that SE's won't be horrible. I'm going to ask a bunch of questions about icing my hands and feet, etc. and see how they handle that.

Wish me luck; the party's about to start!

• sbelizabeth
    edited February 2021
    Options

They will give you IV benadryl. It's to prevent allergic reactions to the chemo drugs. Don't fight it...go to sleep. It's a great nap.

Go get 'em tomorrow. It's a search and destroy mission.