Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Feburary rads group 2021

Options
2»

Comments

• catmax
    catmax Member Posts: 8
    edited February 2021
    Options

Just got appointment for Moderna Dose #1 tomorrow morning and will have my scheduled radiation in the afternoon. I had asked my RO before I started radiation if I should wait until my treatments were over before getting the vaccine, and he said if I could get it, go for it. Fingers crossed all goes well tomorrow!

• melbo
    melbo Member Posts: 266
    edited February 2021
    Options

I haven’t had a problem taking a big breath or holding it, but it was constantly frustrating because about half the time I took in too much air. They finally set up a monitor for me where I could see the bars I was trying to match, and that made it much, much easier. They told me they try to start patients without the monitor because it’s more distracting for some people, but I’m a visual person and it helped me.

I’m just starting my second week and haven’t had any issues yet, although from what I’ve read next week is when I can really expect to see SEs starting.

• positivelyhalffull
    positivelyhalffull Member Posts: 42
    edited February 2021
    Options

I'm in the waiting room for my first treatment and they just came out to tell me they are having trouble with the machine and trying to get it fixed. I was already nervous. This does not help.

• purpleb3
    purpleb3 Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2021
    Options

How is everyone doing?

I finished whole breast rads yesterday and could remove my stickers. I was exhausted as I was by every tues and wens. Today had my first of 5 targeted treatments and one new sticker/marker. My skin is pink with darkening spots and moles and the lumpectomey scar is darker and the skin around it is kinda more wrinkly. I am not a fan of how my breasts are now uneven as the left is flatter on top and the nipple is higher than the right but I think my skin is holding up fairly well. Im actually looking forward to being comfortable in my regular supportive bras soon and ditching the soft ones during the day.

Hope your all doing well and getting plenty of rest.

• melbo
    edited March 2021
    Options

I’m almost finished with my third week. So far I have a little bit of a rash near my collarbone, and a little bit of redness, but nothing too bad yet. As my RO points out every time I see him, I’m very fair skinned, so it’s to be expected.

I haven’t worn a bra in three weeks either, which is very weird to me. I always feel like I forgot something when I leave the house, but after going through the list in my head of things I should have, I realize I feel that way because I don’t have a bra on. I bought some really comfortable ones after surgery, but the radiation techs said they left marks on my skin around the sides, so they didn’t want me wearing those ones while I was getting radiation treatments. I groaned and told them I didn’t want to buy more bras, and they told me to just go without... which is what I’ve done.

Luckily I’m getting treated at the end of winter/beginning of spring, so layers are appropriate and it’s not completely obvious that I don’t have a bra on. By the time it’s really warm and time to hang out in t-shirts, my skin should be healed enough to start wearing them again.

• deniseml
    deniseml Member Posts: 68
    edited March 2021
    Options

started radiation therapy on 2/24/21. 6/30 completed. Do not have to hold my breath as expected. discussed with 2nd RO, whom I decided to stay with since much closer to home, great reviews, & extensive experience . Using Ultimate Vitality Radiation Relief Cream ( Amazon ) plus Aloe and Aquaphor. NO redness, itching, swelling or pain yet. Can now understand recommendations to keep up with stretching exercises because feeling tightness with left shoulder rotation , not present before. keeping all in my thoughts and prayers! take care !

• positivelyhalffull
    positivelyhalffull Member Posts: 42
    edited March 2021
    Options

I've completed 5/20 treatments. The scar in my armpit is getting a bit sensitive, but my doctor said that's to be expected. I'm really glad that I chose to go to my local hospital. Even this drive every day is wearing on me. I also like that I have the same people doing my treatments every time.

• catmax
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hi Positively

Tomorrow will be my last treatment - alleluia! After 19 treatments, my armpit scar is very sensitive and almost black. I noticed that arm seems a little bigger as long sleeve shirts feel tighter on that side. I've always tanned easily and my skin with the radiated breast is now much darker. I have a rash on the upper breast but thankfully, no blisters. I have also started to get shooting pains near the incision, and the RO recommended ice packs and ibruprofen. He says I'm doing very well! Have to say I am very, very tired, and glad that the treatment center is only 15 minutes from my home. Was also told I may not get my energy levels back for a few more weeks and to continue the moisturizer morning and night. What a journey this has been!

• deniseml
    edited March 2021
    Options

CATMAX: Very happy for you! One more hurdle jumped! Thanks for sharing your experiences since I am just starting to experience what you are completing. I was also told That skin changes and symptoms can persist for an additional 2 weeks after completing all treatments. I have only had 8/30 RADS. No symptoms to report yet.

I just received #2 Moderna vaccine 2 days ago. Was worried for no reason. Little localized discomfort, no fever, body aches, headache etc. Some fatigue first night, but then also having RADS daily and started targeted therapy a week ago too.

Overall feeling well. When I'm tired, I do not feel bad taking a nap ( occasionally ). started doing yard work again. Great just to get out of house!

• deniseml
    edited March 2021
    Options

has anyone had bolus to skin during RADS? wondering if its even possible to prevent sunburn like reactions from occurring. I'm expecting 1st degree burns

if not, 2nd degree burns. I'm applying aquaphor, 99% Aloe, Radiation Relief Cream. Started using OTC hydrocortisone ointment for the itching. All products

were recommended. Anyone using something different?

If I sunbathed and got a sunburn I would avoid sun exposure and apply product to relieve symptoms. Not an option when on radiation. I just completed 14/30 treatments. Little worrisome since not quite half way. Certainly would like to avoid complications like Seromas! Am I being paranoid? maybe.

would appreciate your thoughts and experiences.

• melbo
    edited March 2021
    Options

I have not had Bolus and am not even quite sure what it does or how it works — but my radiation techs always remind each other that I am no Bolus during my treatment.

I just switched to Jeans Cream after hearing about it here and clearing it with my nurses, and I like it. It’s a little thinner than aquafore and less greasy.

I’m also using prescription silvadene on my blisters — which the physician’s assistant diagnosed as probably shingles... so I’m also starting a prescription pill for that. The PA wasn’t sure if they would pause my treatment for shingles, but the radiation techs told me they push through almost anything to finish treatment.

• Susiemommy
    Susiemommy Member Posts: 46
    edited March 2021
    Options

How's everyone doing out there? Today marks my halfway point - 15 of 30 rounds. I'm starting to see the darkening of the skin on my left breast and have a few twinges of pain every now and then. I was dog-tired last week, but I'm not sure if that was from rads or my first vaccine shot. Other than that, I guess my side effects have been pretty unremarkable.

• deniseml
    edited March 2021
    Options

Melbo: thanks for the response. I see the RO tomorrow. I will discuss, again, what more to expect going forward since the "Bolus" was not something he discussed with me at initial consult. The Techs told me the bolus was to bring raise the rads towards the surface. Since the cancer was in the skin initially, they are specifically targeting it as well. I am starting to get redness, itching and a little burning in axilla. It is manageable with what I'm using so far, though the redness under clavicle never resolves completely.

skin is also starting to discolor to RAD site. More importantly I'm realizing the importance of keeping up with stretching and range of motion exercises for left shoulder. If I miss it I notice the increased discomfort and tightness when I do the exercises the next time.

Susie: congrats on half-way point. I am one day behind you. Just had my 15/30 treatment this AM. Be kind to yourself. Rest when you feel that tired, if you can since your a mommy! I too have days I am more fatigued than others. To be expected . I keep telling myself I need to start exercise program, but, can't find the motivation. Will have to "just do it" anyway.

Wishing everyone the best results possible. Keeping you in my prayers!

• NotAsCalmAsILook
    NotAsCalmAsILook Member Posts: 133
    edited March 2021
    Options

I use the bolus for half my treatment. I haven’t experienced any burns, yet. (14/25). I’ve been told to expect a skin reaction ... and they check my skin every week. Weirdly appreciate the loss of nerves/feeling in that general area...

So far I’ve just been using Aveeno (multiple times a day).

• NotAsCalmAsILook
    edited March 2021
    Options

the fatigue has been hitting me hard this week. I just want to nap all the time. I have no energy for people.

• catmax
    edited March 2021
    Options

Two weeks after my final rad session, I am finally feeling like my old self. My energy level is almost completely back, and my skin is slowly starting to look better. I continue to moisturize morning and night. Met with the MO last Tuesday. She recommended I start Armidex but I want to take a break and do more research before, and if, I start hormone therapy. Since my cancer was 1A, she agreed that taking time to heal from the radiation was ok and wants me to follow up with her in 3 months.

• Susiemommy
    Susiemommy Member Posts: 46
    edited March 2021
    Options

Congrats Catmax! It's good to hear that you're returning to a normal energy level. NotascalmasIlook, I am there too. So tired. I've even started taking my Vyvanse again to try and conteract it, but sometimes even that does not work. Hang in there!

• NotAsCalmAsILook
    edited March 2021
    Options

today is my last radiation treatment!

• purpleb3
    purpleb3 Member Posts: 8
    edited April 2021
    Options

Congrats notascalm! I didn't ring the bell on my last day but I did cry a bit on my way home. I was happy it was over and worried it wasn't at the same time. I have my first follow up with the rad onco this Friday. I was tired for 2 weeks after and getting my second maderna shot on my last day may have set me back a bit. Some of my skin looks grayish and I am feeling less tired now but am still using lotions and need more rest sometimes.