Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

biopsy yesterday-waiting for results

Options
zebra_co
zebra_co Member Posts: 35
edited February 2021 in Waiting for Test Results

Hi everyone!
I’m not exactly new here but have never posted before, only read. I just had my 3rd biopsy yesterday and the waiting for results doesn’t get any easier. All have been due to micro calcifications. The first was 13 years ago. I was so scared and my imagination ran wild. I just “knew” I had cancer and really thought the worst. It thankfully turned out benign. Four and a half years ago the diagnosis was DCIS, stage 0. I had a lumpectomy followed by radiation. My oncologist and I decided that due to other health conditions I have, the typical medications would have higher risks for me than the chance of getting this (or worse) cancer again.
My recent mammogram revealed new calcifications near the surgical site. They are different than the previous ones as it is in a line (previous ones we more clumped) and this was concerning to the doctors so a biopsy was done yesterday. I was told that there was a 50:50 chance of malignancy vs benignthis time.
I am not as freaked out as I was that first time and I got through the prior treatment but I have been riding an emotional rollercoaster since I learned of the new calcifications. There is no family history of breast cancer and while I can talk about this with my sister and husband I don’t really have anyone who really knows what I’m experiencing emotionally right now. I’ve read some similar posts here today but each of our stories are unique. I think I just needed to get mine out. Thanks!

Comments

• kmom57
    kmom57 Member Posts: 153
    Options

Hi Zebra. I’m sorry you have to be back here, but hopeful your results will be benign. Sending good thoughts your way.

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,939
    Options

I hope it's benign, but look at so many of us here who didn't have benign results and we're doing just fine anyway - like you did with the DCIS.

• zebra_co
    Options

Thank you KMom and Alice for your kind words and thoughts.

Does anyone know what the significance is of the linear grouping of the calcifications? I think they told me at the appointment but I don’t recall what they said. I haven’t found much about it on line.

• LivinLife
    LivinLife Member Posts: 301
    Options

Hi zebra - I think my post disappeared so here goes again.... I'm glad you posted this time. Can't imagine how you didn't the second time with the DCIS - glad you found the reading helpful. Since you posted it makes more support and specific feedback possible for you - so glad you did! Hopefully you'll hear soon on the biopsy results! It won't be long.... can't answer the "linear" question - sorry! Please let us know what you hear about results. You'll likely be posting before then too....

• zebra_co
    Options

LivinLife, Thank you for your response. I didn't know about the forum the first time. When I was diagnosed with the DCIS I was looking for some specific topics that I found and got answers to on this forum. I also had a different support system at that time and now do not have anyone who has had breast cancer. I do need support now and decided to just go for it earlier today.

The Super Bowl was a good distraction for me today. It didn't go the way I wanted it to but oh well, my team wasn't playing! My husband picked up hot wings and also made queso dip for chips to eat during the game. I didn't have to do anything, he's awesome. We don't usually eat that kind of stuff but it was really good!

Otherwise, I have just been doing the things I would normally do on the weekend during a pandemic (LOL). I allow myself to feel the feelings that come up, maybe talk to someone about it, maybe cry a little (or a lot), do some reading on breast cancer and other's experiences, and then I tell myself to do something else. Otherwise, my anxiety can get the better of me. I sought out a counselor a couple years ago to help me with my anxiety and these were some of the tools I developed through that. I haven't been seeing the counselor regularly but did make an appointment as soon as I learned I would need a biopsy. It is scheduled for Tuesday afternoon (virtual of course). I hope to have the results back by then but the timing is never certain.

Thanks again, and I will let you know when I get my results.

• LivinLife
    Options

I think you are dealing with all of this in a really healthy way from what you describe zebra! Glad you and your husband enjoyed the Super Bowl yums and treated yourself since it's not something you often do. You deserve to enjoy now and then, esp. now : ) Glad you have distractions and good support from your husband, as well as a counselor you can call on to help during this time! Btw my team wasn't playing either - Cleveland Browns!!! Just so happy they had such a good year (and finally, huh?) - Next year.... : )

• zebra_co
    Options

I have great news, I got the results from my biopsy and it's benign! Yay, I am so relieved! Thank you to everyone who read and/or replied and everyone's good vibes. I really hope for the best for all of you. Since I have been there with the DCIS, I know how tough the news is to take when the outcome is not what we want to hear. But then you move on to next steps and do whatever you have to do.

After all this, I confess that I definitely had my low moments waiting for these results. I had just a few close friends and family that I talked to about this. This forum was so comforting to me. I don't know what lies ahead in my journey with this. I remember when I was going to my radiation treatments in 2016. I saw other women coming and going wondering about their stories and their journeys. I wondered if I would be back here in 5 years, 10 years, etc, or if this was it; was I going to have to add to my story/my journey. This has been another part of my journey and I can't predict what my future holds, or yours. I hope that I can be accepted in this space, hang around and support those of you who have been there and are just starting out.

I am praying for the best for all of you. Seek out support, you need it!

zebra Heart

• tntnsd
    tntnsd Member Posts: 124
    Options

Great news indeed. So happy happy for you.

I have my own great news today too. Had my mastectomy last week, got final pathology report today and it remains pure DCIS with a clear margins, negative lymph nodes (0/3). Could have not wished for better outcome with this roller coaster last few months.

Like you, I am praying for all of us who found ourselves here

• zebra_co
    Options

tntnsd, that’s great to hear! Clear margins and negative lymph nodes are what we want. Are you going to have reconstruction? Keep us updated!

• LivinLife
    Options

Congrats and sooo happy for you! You can hang around as long as you'd like - you have a lot to share with others if you'd like to do that and likely it will still help you in different ways....You can be a great support!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,077
    Options

Congrats to both of you.

• Astrid
    Astrid Member Posts: 1,033
    Options

yes, fantastic news for you both. So happy to read this.

HugAstrid

• zebra_co
    Options

Thank you everyone!

• zebra_co
    Options

LivinLife-my team is the Denver Broncos. Not so good this year :(. I was really pulling for the Browns in the playoffs, they have come a long way in a short time!

• 2019whatayear
    2019whatayear Member Posts: 464
    Options

Thanks for sharing the good news!!!

• tntnsd
    tntnsd Member Posts: 124
    Options

Hi zebra_co

For now I did not do reconstruction; I think I will have a few good cry when I see my scar, my lopsided breasts , but I will be alright. I will think about all the blessings that I have, and will not regret for not having reconstruction.

Best wishes

• zebra_co
    Options

So I had a session with my therapist this week. I told my therapist that when I learned that I needed to have the biopsy, my mind immediately went to, if it's cancer this time, I just want to have a double mastectomy and be done with it, I don't want to have to keep going through this. I had not said that out loud or written that on this forum. I've read others on here say similar things and then others reply that it is a good practice to wait and see. Since my results were benign this time, I guess it was good to wait. I'm just writing this because it does seem that we have so much common ground with our similar experiences.

What I am dealing with right now though is that it has been 3 weeks since the stereotactic biopsy. I naturally had some pain after the procedure and it was gradually getting better. I have actually had pain in that breast since the lumpectomy in 2016. But today the pain in my breast is worse than it has been since the recent biopsy and has worsened throughout the day and evening. I don't recall as much lingering pain in either of my two prior biopsies, but I have been telling myself that I hadn't had a lumpectomy the other times either (all three have been in the same area). I do have scar tissue from the 2016 surgery. I would say that I was down to about a 2-3 on a 1-10 scale and that has gradually increased today to a 5-6. I'm wondering if anyone else has had worsening pain this far after a biopsy?

I am so busy with work that it's a blessing and a curse. In one way it keeps from thinking about things, but it can also cause me to put off things that I perhaps need to concern myself with. It really stinks that it's now after hours on a Friday. I wouldn't be able to see my PCP until at least Monday. But I could go to Urgent Care through my provider if I need to. Should I be concerned about this worsening pain 3 weeks out?

I don't know. Any ideas?

zebra

• LivinLife
    Options

Any time there are procedures or surgeries there is a chance for nicking nerves.... That's one explanation.... I don't think the pain necessarily means anything nefarious is going on - esp. after testing and biopsy in that area.... it's also only been three weeks... Has Tylenol or something like that been helpful? Unless the pain is unbearable I'd suggest following up with PCP vs. Urgent Care... Urgent Care likely would not be able to offer much and would just refer you back to PCP for follow up... Keep us updated ok? Gentle hugs!

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    Options

Also, if I still had pain I would try using heat, like a heating pad or wrung-out warm damp towel on it

• zebra_co
    Options

Thanks LivinLife and Melissa. I'm actually having very little pain today. I hope that trend continues. I did try some tylenol yesterday but it didn't help much. I was using a heat pad right after the procedure. If the pain kicks back up I will try that again. :)