Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

mom meeting with surgeon tomorrow

Options
2»

Comments

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited March 2021
    Options

capergirl, it will depend on the hormone markers. The treatments really vary depending on that.

For this stage I'd expect the whole enchilada - surgery, chemo and radiation but the order and the specific chemo protocols will vary (based on hormone markers) and sometimes chemo is prescribed before surgery to try to shrink the tumor for better surgical results.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,101
    edited March 2021
    Options

I agree with Moth. Likely chemo, surgery & radiation. Depending on results of the tests - maybe chemo first, maybe surgery first. The oncologist will be the doctor 'driving the bus' now, so I hope that meeting goes well. Please do make sure you get copies of EVERY report.

• rah2464
    rah2464 Member Posts: 1,192
    edited March 2021
    Options

Capergirl please let your mom know we are all here for her (and you) . She is so blessed to have such strong support from her family. There is so much information to absorb and it is so helpful to have assistance with sorting through it all. Sending hugs and prayers

• capergirl39
    capergirl39 Member Posts: 19
    edited March 2021
    Options

thank you so much for your info Moth. I will definitely be in touch as we know more!

• capergirl39
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hi everyone. Sorry I haven't replied in a while but appointments and keeping mom occupied has been the priority. Just had a meeting with the oncologist and finally got the pathology report. Nurses were very impressed with my questions and notes and I owe that all to this group...thank you!!! Pathology report shows: ER+, PR-, Equivocal for HER2 protein overexpression and positive for HER2 gene amplification by fish (low level amplification).

Tmr she has a CT scan to see if it has gone anywhere else besides the lymph nodes...praying for good results! Chemo will start next week, depending on CT, it will be two different chemos, or if spread, it will be a chemo and herceptive.

Can anyone break the pathology report down for me?

mom is here with me and says hello and thanks you all for the support and passing on info!!!

• moth
    edited March 2021
    Options

capergirl, what does the pathology report say about the strength/or percentage of the ER+?

the pathology report should also mention grade - that's another important aspect.

HER2 is tricky to test for sometimes so it means they had to test it by 2 different methods; sounds like the first was equivocal and the FISH test was positive but low

the medication she'd be getting for HER2+ is "herceptin"

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    beesie.is.out-of-office Member Posts: 1,435
    edited March 2021
    Options

capergirl,

I'm waving "Hi!" to your mom!

With the cancer being HER2+ on the FISH test, even though it's low amplification, I believe that means Herceptin along with chemo, regardless of the CT scan results. Someone else who is HER2+ can clarify, but that's my understanding.

HER2+ cancers are aggressive - and that's why chemo and Herceptin are given - but the good news is that thanks to this treatment regimen, the prognosis for HER2+ cancers is now among the best.

Good luck to your mom with the CT scan tomorrow. Fingers crossed for good results!

• LivinLife
    LivinLife Member Posts: 301
    edited March 2021
    Options

Thanks for the update! Best to you and your mom tomorrow!

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited March 2021
    Options

If the stage remains III, I would expect those two chemos to be followed by surgery and then possibly radiation, then a year of Herceptin (For most people Herceptin is not a big deal) and five years of an aromatase inhibitor (hormonal therapy) for the ER+, though maybe not if the ER is very low. So that sounds like a lot of treatment, but look at it this way: there are three available ways to treat it systemically, triple-whammy on the cancer.

As far as PR negative, that is not surprising in the type of bc that needs chemo rather than hormonal therapy alone. It may indicate resistance to tamoxifen, but since your mom is postmenopausal an aromatase inhibitor would be standard anyway.

• rah2464
    edited March 2021
    Options

Here's a wish for some clean scans!

• capergirl39
    edited March 2021
    Options

Any recommendations for things to pick up prior to treatment? We are over an hour away from a shopping center. I have a thermometer on the list. What could we pick up to help nausea?

edited March 2021
    Options

capergirl, I haven't had chemo so I can't offer up personal experience, but check out this thread:

Topic: More Tips (and a Shopping List) for Getting Through Chemo

• moth
    edited March 2021
    Options

capergirl, the nausea protocol will vary depending on what chemo she is prescribed & most of the meds are prescription so I'd wait to see what the oncologist orders.

The only thing I'd consider looking for in advance is fragrance free stuff. One of my chemos really made me sensitive to smells of many household cleaning products, lotions etc.

• capergirl39
    edited March 2021
    Options

Great news! Bone scan is clear!!! Oncologist said they see a cyst on the ovary....I didn't know they could see that with a bone scan. Still waiting on CT results...hopefully that will be good news as well. Medicating

edited March 2021
    Options

That's great news! That should help you and your Mom have a good weekend!

• LivinLife
    edited March 2021
    Options

Fantastic news! I do hope the two of you will be able to relax and enjoy a bit with that news.....

• rah2464
    edited March 2021
    Options

Yahoo!!! What great news! Thanks for sharing with us we all love a clean scan Heart

• capergirl39
    edited March 2021
    Options

Mom has a phone appointment with the doctor today and will hopefully get the results from her Cat Scan. For those of you that pray, I would appreciate prayers for a clear scan so she may move onto getting Phase 1 treatment started. ThumbsUp

• LivinLife
    edited March 2021
    Options

Positive energy sent your way!!!!!

• capergirl39
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hi everyone. We found out today that mom has a second type of cancer in her ovary, I believe he called it a cysticcarcinoma. It was a blur! She will be booked for an MRI and be referred to a gynecologist oncologist. I just cant believe she is dealing with this too! I just can't believe she is dealing with two types…so so unfair!!!

👍Like

• flashlight
    flashlight Member Posts: 311
    edited March 2021
    Options

capergirl39, I am so sorry to hear your Mom has cystic cancer on her ovary. How did they determine the diagnosis?

edited March 2021
    Options

Oh, capergirl, I'm so sorry. A second cancer... what a shock! Yes, very unfair!

Let your mother know that we are thinking about her and holding her hand.

• LivinLife
    edited March 2021
    Options

So sorry you all are dealing with this!!! Certainly concerning.... Thanks for the update - I'm glad you have each other. We are here too!

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited March 2021
    Options

What a shock, capergirl. One good thing in this awful situation: ovarian cancer often goes undetected for too long because it often does not cause symptoms early on. But since your mom had scans, it was caught sooner.

This is going to take some good communication and coordination on the part of her doctors. I hope she at an NCI or NCCN center, or at least a university-based center; or can get an opinion from one regarding the plan.

I think your mom can expect genetic testing now, if she has not had it already. If BRCA comes out negative, she can ask for a larger panel to look at other genes.

• rah2464
    edited March 2021
    Options

Good grief! Sorry to hear there is a second cancer going on but I am very glad they have caught it. Now I am wondering if your mom has the BRCA gene.

• capergirl39
    edited March 2021
    Options

Is it difficult to get genetic testing done and will this help with the treatment plan? Why wouldn't the oncologist automatically suggest this get done?

• capergirl39
    edited March 2021
    Options

Thank you so much for the reply and you know, you are absolutely right....maybe there is a silver lining to this nightmare, that if it wasnt for the breast lump, perhaps the ovary cancer wouldn't have been found until it was too late. thank you!

• capergirl39
    edited March 2021
    Options

thank you very much....we appreciate the support and guidance through all of this...especially from the experts....everyone on this forum!

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,942
    edited March 2021
    Options

My kidney cancer was found because of a pre-op chest CT my oncologist had ordered for my lumpectomy. 7 cm and no symptoms, so it was a good thing it was found or who knows how large or invasive it might have gotten. I'm glad your mother's "bonus" cancer was found so it can be taken care of!