Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

28, pregnant, BIRADS 5, waiting for biopsy results

Options
28pregnantandscared
28pregnantandscared Member Posts: 10
edited March 2021 in Waiting for Test Results

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure what advice I'm looking for here. I'm just scared.

Found a lump on my left breast last week. Because I'm 22 weeks pregnant, they got me an ultrasound the next day. I was immediately sent for a biopsy yesterday as I was told the lump is 2.9cm by 2cm and has uneven borders. I had six samples taken and was told I'll hear results in three to four days (Monday or Tuesday).

I just got a copy of my ultrasound today and there is nowhere it says I am pregnant. I told the technician, and I visibly have a bump, but the report doesn't mention it-- it just says 28 year old female. All it says is "irregular spiculated mass", no enlarged lymph nodes, no evidence of axillary lymphadenopathy". At the bottom, it says BIRADS5, Highly suspicious for malignancy."

I am only 28 years old. I have no history of this anywhere in my family. Could these results be altered if they knew I was pregnant? Or should I be preparing myself for the worst? All I can think about is my baby...

Thanks in advance for any info/advice you can offer.

Comments

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited March 2021
    Options

hi 28pregnantandscared, sorry you find yourself with this awful stress & waiting. I'm glad you had a biopsy & you will know soon. Really until the pathologist looks at it under a microscope and tells us what she sees, there's no point in speculating & I don't think the u/s report matters much at this point. They saw what they saw & referred for a biopsy - which is good! It's excellent standard of care.. Whatever it is, you'll handle it & figure it out. Just try to distract yourself as much as possible and get through the weekend.

hugs

• harley07
    harley07 Member Posts: 275
    edited March 2021
    Options

@28pregnant - I don't have anything to add from a medical perspective, but wanted to let you know that I will be thinking of you. Please keep us posted on your results. (((Hugs)))

• 28pregnantandscared
    edited March 2021
    Options

Thank you both, ladies.

It's going to be a very long weekend...

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,943
    edited March 2021
    Options

Welcome, 28pregnantandscared. We understand your fear, and we are so sorry you're here and experiencing this during a time that should be filled with hope and joy. The waiting is so hard, but as moth mentioned, it's really great that you were referred for a biopsy right away. We're here for you, please keep us posted.

The Mods

• fifthyear
    fifthyear Member Posts: 29
    edited March 2021
    Options

Sending you cyber hugs

• bluesky1969
    bluesky1969 Member Posts: 80
    edited March 2021
    Options

I second what Moth said. -she gives great advice and support :)

The worst part for me was all the waiting. You are in a tough limbo at the moment - please be good to yourself, and know that you are under care and information and a plan will be forthcoming.

*Hugs*

• 28pregnantandscared
    edited March 2021
    Options

Thank you all for replying.

If this turns out to be what I'm expecting to hear and I get set up with a treatment plan, is there anywhere on hear I can talk to people? I know it's probably rare anyone else is pregnant and going through this, so I'm sure my treatment plan will look different, but I can't do it on my own and I'm the type of person who needs to know ALL of the information and what will happen and what it'll feel like/look like /etc....

• Poppy_90
    Poppy_90 Member Posts: 84
    edited March 2021
    Options

I know it’s easier said than done, but try to find ways to distract yourself. What the others has said is true, waiting is so hard. Please know I, like so many others here, will be sending you positivity, strength, and a big virtual hug. Be good to yourself and please keep us updated.

• elainetherese
    elainetherese Member Posts: 1,626
    edited March 2021
    Options

In my chemo group (Chemo in July 2014), one of the members was pregnant and went through chemo. She had a healthy baby boy! Of course, you may not need chemo, but it can be done. ((Hugs))

• yesiamadragon
    yesiamadragon Member Posts: 343
    edited March 2021
    Options

Oh it is so hard waiting for results over the weekend! And I am so sorry you are going through this stress! Please remember to breathe, try to distract yourself, and keep putting one foot in front of the other, hoping for the best (including a healthy baby! what better distraction!)

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. You are at 22 weeks, so through first trimester, and by the time you would need chemo, if you did (most don't) you would be nearing full term by the time it would even be able to be started if you weren't pregnant. And no concerning nodes! That is great!

But I will certainly be thinking of you, holding you in my heart and hoping for the best for you!

• 28pregnantandscared
    edited March 2021
    Options

That's very encouraging to hear!! Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know. I'll have to try to find that group now and read about it

• 28pregnantandscared
    edited March 2021
    Options

Thank you so much. That was really encouraging to hear. I have never been so stressed in my life and it helps to hear tiny bits of positivity. ❤️

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,688
    edited March 2021
    Options

28, there is another member on here who is close to the amount of weeks you are pregnant.Her name is handmaidofthelord. If you search members, you can find her. She's in my de novo group. Maybe you can talk to her. I am so sorry you're both going through this while pregnant. Hugs.

• 28pregnantandscared
    edited March 2021
    Options

Ah thank you so much. I will look her up for sure. That'd be so helpful right now.

• SparkleTBD
    SparkleTBD Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2021
    Options

*hugs*. For what its worth i had a birads 5 lesion 10 years ago and it was determined to be mastitis. I had to wait over 4 th of july weekend for the results and it was so hard. Hoping that you get good news.

• 28pregnantandscared
    edited March 2021
    Options

I needed to hear this today ❤️

• SparkleTBD
    edited March 2021
    Options

Yes. Not all BIRADS 5 are cancer. :)

I was also 28 at the time but not breastfeeding. Sending you positive thoughts for good results.

• 28pregnantandscared
    edited March 2021
    Options

You had a BIRADS 5 as well and it didn't turn out to be cancer???

• 2019whatayear
    2019whatayear Member Posts: 464
    edited March 2021
    Options

Thinking about you today, hoping you hear some good news. Big hugs

• SparkleTBD
    edited March 2021
    Options

good luck today! Good luc

• 28pregnantandscared
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed today. I'm getting more answers tomorrow but wondering if anyone can try to make sense of what I was told over the phone today.

The biopsy came back showing the cancer is ductal in origin, grade of tumour is stage 1 or 2.

She said Dcis stage 0 (preinvasive) found in area as well. I don't know if this means I have two types of cancer or what that even means...

She said I'll be having surgery up front (lumpectomy with lymph nodes), testing the lymph nodes (2 injections but one can't be used because I'm pregnant, the other is a dye and might not be able to be used either), this will help determine exact stage.

She said we're not going to discuss chemo right now until we get an exact result but either way it won't be happening until after birth and I'll be induced around 36 weeks.

My world is falling apart. Can anyone make any sense of this? I don't really get it...

• mindig66
    mindig66 Member Posts: 41
    edited March 2021
    Options

Bless your heart! I am so sorry! I was 37 wks when I suspected (and later confirmed) I had BC (2003) and I'm just so sorry you're having to go through this, especially now. The waiting is rough. Once you have a plan you will feel better, believe it or not. I hope there are others who can give you more info.

Big hugs to you!

Mindi ~

• SparkleTBD
    edited March 2021
    Options

HUGS.I have DCIS and can help you there, but it sounds invasive if they are looking at lymph nodes.

I am praying for a good outcome for you.

• 2019whatayear
    2019whatayear Member Posts: 464
    edited March 2021
    Options

This completely and totally sucks. I'm so sorry cancer has come to steal the joy of your pregnancy- Your doctor sounds very competent and I'm glad she has given you a timeline.

• tntnsd
    tntnsd Member Posts: 124
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hugs to you 28pregnantandscared. That sucks you have to deal and worry sick about this in such young age and this time of your life. Do you have access to your biopsy report ? Does it say anything about invasive, or possible lymph nodes involvement ? If it only mentions DCIS or ducal carcinoma in origin, with grade 1 or 2, perhaps it is still just all DCIS (stage 0) at this point. Please keep a positive mind as much as you can, I know it is hard, but you need that. We are here anytime you need a sounding board.

• 28pregnantandscared
    edited March 2021
    Options

Thank you everyone.

I don't have a copy of the report but I'm going to ask for it tomorrow. I see a surgeon tomorrow, and meet my oncologist on Friday.

Can someone explain the difference between "stage" and "grade"? Do these mean the same thing?

My husband recorded the phone call so we just listened to it back. She said the ultrasound and physical exam showed no signs of lymph node involvement, but because we can't do an MRI while pregnant, she's going to be taking a sample of the lymph nodes while the lumpectomy is performed to send it away for testing. If it isn't showing in an ultrasound, is this a good sign? Or can that be missed?

Also, she referred to it as ductal in origin, the tumour grade is 1 or 2, and the DCIS stage is 0.

What does this all mean I'm so confused :(

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    beesie.is.out-of-office Member Posts: 1,435
    edited March 2021
    Options

Since you unfortunately have been diagnosed, rather than continue to update this thread in the Waiting For Test Results forum, it's probably best to move all future comments and questions to your new thread in the Just Diagnosed forum, where more people will see it.

I'd already posted in your other thread, answering some of your questions, and I just added a second post answering your additional questions: https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/5/topics/879356?page=1#idx_3

• Poppy_90
    Poppy_90 Member Posts: 84
    edited March 2021
    Options

Sending you so many hugs. I’ve been thinking of you since I read your first post. I was really hoping for different news for you. Please know you can do this and there are a lot of us here to support you.