Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Spots on Liver - CT Scan

Options

Hi, I was just told that CT detected two spots on my liver. It didn't pick up any node involvement. My dr thinks these might be cysts. She ordered MRI to confirm but I don't know how long it takes till I get a call. I asked her if there are stats for distant metastasis without node involvement but she didn't have an answer. I was wondering if anyone here has had such diagnosis?

Comments

• 2019whatayear
    2019whatayear Member Posts: 464
    Options

was the CT done before you started chemo or during chemo?

• aram
    aram Member Posts: 320
    Options

2019whatayear, it was done before I started chemo. Does it matter?

• LivinLife
    LivinLife Member Posts: 301
    Options

Aram it sounds like you're waiting on the call to get the MRI scheduled at this point. I certainly hope they call soon... MRI results only take about 24 hours to return depending on where you are. Hopefully wouldn't take more than 24-48 for you to hear results. I know that doesn't help much though just my way of empathizing and sending support..... Please let us know as things unfold...... Hoping for cysts!!!

• BevJen
    BevJen Member Posts: 2,341
    Options

Aram,

I had the exact situation as you. Liver lesions picked up on CT, suspected metastatic disease (no mention of nodes), followed with an abdominal MRI. That is normally followed by a biopsy. If you get to that point, you might want to ask your doc about doing genomic testing to see if your breast cancer has morphed. It will make a different in planning your treatments.

• aram
    Options

Thanks LivinLife.

BevJen, so you had a liver biopsy after? My dr was like MRI will tell us if it is cancer. I asked if we need a biopsy then, and she said no, because you have breast cancer, it has gone from there, so no biopsy.

• BevJen
    Options

I think that's a bit shortsighted, Aram. Unless your MO is also a psychic, I don't see how she can determine what's cancer and what's not. Plus, genomic testing can provide certain characteristics about your cancer that cannot be seen on an MRI.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    Options

But BevJen, Aram was just diagnosed last month. For denovo, if they're certain a lesion is malignant on imaging, I don't think they always biopsy everything? Even as a non denovo, I've never had my liver mets biopsied & my initial lung met biopsy was really only done because I insisted ...(& we got no useful info from as it was necrotic)

Aram,, I'm still really hoping your spots turn out to be something benign!

• BevJen
    Options

Moth,

You know more medical stuff than I do -- I've just not had the experience of imaging sans biopsy. How can they be sure if they have not pathology?

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,940
    Options

Some growths don't need a biopsy for experienced radiologists and other doctors to tell what's going on. When a non-contrast CT showed a large-ish growth on my kidney, both the radiologist and urologist we're pretty sure it was cancer, and after a contrast CT, they were even more sure. I'm in a kidney cancer FB group, and not many of us had biopsies, and only one or two had growths that turned out to be benign. I'm definitely not saying all suspicious growths or lesions on scans are cancerous, just that the experience of radiologists and surgeons shouldn't be discounted.

• 2019whatayear
    2019whatayear Member Posts: 464
    Options

Aram - yes chemo can do weird stuff to imaging so I was confused about what you are saying -I hope you get results that show it’s not cancer . Waiting is horrible .

• aram
    Options

Thank you all. It seems it is common not to have biopsies in some cases. Waiting is so hard but considering they need to change my chemo from AC to TCHP if these are cancerous I hope I go higher on the list.

• dutchiegirl
    dutchiegirl Member Posts: 76
    Options

I also had lesions on my liver when they first diagnosed me. My surgeon wanted me to have another scan but my oncologist said he was confident it wasn’t necessary. That was probably two years ago and I haven’t had any issues. Hoping you’re fine!

• aram
    Options

DutchieGile, thank you. I hope mine are the same. Still waiting for the MRI call to come. I don't think I am very high on the list, so it might take a while for me to know for sure.

• KBeee
    KBeee Member Posts: 695
    Options

Hopin gyou get answers and that the lesions are not cancer.

• OnTarget
    OnTarget Member Posts: 124
    Options

My breast MRI saw a lesion on my liver. I was like "great, just what I need".

I had a CT and then an MRI to look at it, and they decided it was benign. Whew!

• aram
    Options

I did my liver MRI today. Fingers crossed for benign results. I am dreading my next appointment with my MO. It is so unlogical this fear of test results and I still can't help it

• lw422
    lw422 Member Posts: 1,399
    Options

Here's hoping for good news, ARAM. I also had two small lesions on my liver, found during a breast MRI. I had a followup PET scan that determined they are not malignant. I think some liver lesions/scaring are quite common.

• aram
    Options

Thank you LW422. It is really great to hear yours were benign. I hope mine to be the same.

• norcals
    norcals Member Posts: 206
    Options

Hi.

I had and have lesions on my liver as well. I had CT scans before chemo, after chemo, and two after radiation and based on the fact that the lesions have not changed for about 2 years MO and radiologist believe they are benign. I was also DX TNBC, grade 3, stage 3c, so MO believes that if it were cancer, it would have grown or changed in the last two years. MO did not order an MRI for me, so I don’t know how common it is to get an MRI. It’s good that your MO ordered the MRI. Hoping the results are clear for you

• aram
    Options

I am not sure how common it is to order MRIs as well. But in my CT Scan report, the radiologist recommended the MRI to rule out "metastic tumors". I hope the fact that he/she mentioned it was just out of caution...

• norcals
    norcals Member Posts: 206
    Options

I should also mention that MO is reluctant to order MRI. That may be the reason, she has never ordered it for the lesions. I would have preferred to have an MRI and have more information on the lesions. I’m glad that your radiologist is taking the extra step to check it out

• aram
    Options

I saw my MO today, and the results of MRI were in: indeterminate. The recommendation is to repeat the MRI in 3 months.

• littlecheese
    littlecheese Member Posts: 24
    Options

Had a CT scan today for another issue (that turned out fine), but of course they found something else. Report states, "8 mm low-density lesion with tiny soft tissue nodule in the right hepatic lobe. Consider dedicated liver imaging for further characterization."

Anyone have a similar experience that wasn't liver mets?

Update: MRI this afternoon, have been a nervous wreck this past week. Broke down before the scan started. My radiology tech was amazing - calmed me down, showed me the scans and actually called me once the results were in...fatty spot! So relieved.