Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

What does this mamm result potentially mean?

Options
anonymous_852456
anonymous_852456 Member Posts: 5
edited June 2021 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

This is from my mom's first mammogram- the one she got called back on. I finally got hold of this

Comments

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited May 2021
    Options

you can read about micrcalcifications here https://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/testing/type...

What birads score did this mammo give?

• anonymous_852456
    edited May 2021
    Options

What birads score did this mammo give?

0- incomplete

• moth
    edited May 2021
    Options

then the callback is not about abnormalities at all - it's just that their imaging wasn't good enough to read. Birads 0 just means the film we took is not clear/crisp enough or didn't catch the whole area. They need more imaging to even begin fully assessing.

• anonymous_852456
    edited May 2021
    Options

Moth, what dos this mean though?

"There are scattered areas of fibroglandular density. There is a possible area of architectural distortion in the superior right breast seen on the MLO view. No definitive mass or clustered microcalcifications are seen within either breast."

I know that architectural distortion -could- be cancer. I've researched that. What do you, or anyone here know about that term or fibroglandular density?

• moth
    edited May 2021
    Options

So the thing is - .breasts are complicated organs. There is the glandular tissue (which is where milk is made), there is the blood supply, connective tissue to hold it all together, fat, blood supply. And it all changes with age, during pregnancies, even during each menstrual cycle.

Often what is written is just a description of what they see and specifically they're getting at areas of density because it's hard to see cancer in dense breast tissue.

This article explains some of the terms more.

https://www.healthline.com/health/breast-cancer/sc...

Some jurisdictions are making it policy to tell women their breast density score. With very dense breasts, mammograms may not be the optimal imaging choice and in those cases the woman should discuss other screening methods with the physician.

• eviec1
    eviec1 Member Posts: 80
    edited May 2021
    Options

Fibroglandular density is completely normal - it just describes how dense the breast tissue is (breast are either dense or fatty or somewhere in between - this is somewhere in between). It is not an indication of cancer or anything else - it's just a description.

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    beesie.is.out-of-office Member Posts: 1,435
    edited May 2021
    Options

'Scattered fbroglandular density' means that your mother's breasts are not particularly dense - this is a good thing.

Yes, architectural distortion can be cancer. The risk is higher when the distortion is seen on multiple views, which is not the case here - it's only seen on the MLO view and it's only "possible" architectural distortion, not definitive. The risk is also higher when the architectural distortion is associated with a mass or suspicious/concerning microcalcifications, which is specifically noted as not being the case here. So as architectural distortion goes, the description on your mother's report is as good as it can be, and is not overly concerning.

On a screening mammogram and when seen in only one view, what architectural distortion can be is just the result of the way the breast was squished in the mammogram machine, causing the appearance of an unnatural distortion. When this happens (and it happens a lot), the diagnostic mammogram finds nothing. Hopefully that's the case for your mother.

• erineleven
    erineleven Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2021
    Options

Architectural distortion means that there is an area of breast tissue that looks distorted. If they see a possible distortion the concern is that something like a tumor is pushing up against the normal structure of your breast and that is why they see this "dent". When they do a further diagnostic mammogram they will take a closer look and see if there is something there, or if the distortion even really is a distortion when they look closer. I don't know the statistics of how often this happens but I had something that was suggestive an architectural distortion in my very first mammogram in September and when they took a closer look there actually was not an architectural distortion after all. One thing I am realizing is that the purpose of all of these tests are to make absolutely sure that they see anything that could possibly be cancer. So anything at all out of the ordinary is going to be checked out. I have been through the ringer a bit with a lot of testing and a lot of waiting for results, I wish I was prepared for that. But so far no cancer.

• anonymous_852456
    edited May 2021
    Options

Thank you for that information Beesie. I really truly appreciate your support during this time. As nightmarish as this is, I'm better off because of your support! It helps.

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    beesie.is.out-of-office Member Posts: 1,435
    edited May 2021
    Options

anonymous, I'm really glad that my posts are helpful to you. But now I'm going to give you a little tough love. You described your situation as "nightmarish". That really struck me, from two standpoints.

First is that I don't want you, or anyone, to feel that they are in a nightmarish situation. It's awful to feel that way.

Second is that in truth, the situation you are in is hardly a nightmare. I understand that your fear is very real but I think even you know that your fear is out of proportion to the situation. The situation you are in (your mother is in, really) is scary and uncomfortable but it's also very common and at this stage of the process, pretty low risk. In your other threads, lots of people, including me, have told you this. We are not downplaying your fears but have been trying to provide you with perspective in order to help you control your fears. Take a look at the signature and diagnosis lines of some of the people who have been offering you support and advice. moth, in this thread. exbrnxgrl and AliceBastable in your other thread. I know that you have been upset by some of the advice offered, but take another look and see who this advice is coming from. Look at what these individuals have been through and continue to go through. That's perspective, and perhaps looking at who the advice is coming from will help you frame their advice in a different light. If their suggestions work for them with all they've gone through, aren't the suggestions reasonable to help you in your situation?

You asked that we be polite and recognize that everyone experiences these challenges differently. That's a fair request. I think it's also fair to remind you that most of the people offering you advice have breast cancer. If you describe your situation as nightmarish, what does that say about us and our lives? Perspective.

• anonymous_852456
    edited May 2021
    Options

Beesie, You guys ( please forgive the expression) are brave! I knew that all along, but it felt inappropriate to say at the time. I hate to use the word brave cause some people with cancer dislike the term, but from my perspective, you are. This tough love I don't mind- you're very kind about it. My perspective, I cannot begin to imagine how strong you and other like you are. I have a colossal amount of respect for those people. So I'm doing my best. It's hard but I'm trying to keep my fears and anxiety in check. I've seen those signatures and knew what hey meant. I draw hope from them, strength from them. I'm glad to be here with people who have faced those things. I hope none of this offends. Just know I'm doing my best.

Thank you Beesie,

• Dallas2021
    Dallas2021 Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2021
    Options

I had a mammogram but was called for more views within 24 hours. I had a second mammogram and then was given an ultrasound that confirmed three different architectural distortions. They also coded it as 4C. I am very confused as to what this all means. Does this mean if it is malignant it was caught really early? It seems having three distortions might mean something different as well (although I can't recall any trauma)? They scheduled me for a biopsy in ten days but gave no other info. Anybody have multiple distortions and what was the result? Thank you.

• moth
    edited June 2021
    Options

Hi Dallas, 4C means that what they're looking at doesn't look "right" to them and so they're recommending a biopsy of the areas. Even if it is malignant (which we do not know yet & hopefully it isn't!), these findings cannot tell you much about the stage or whether it's 'early'.

architectural distortions don't have anything to do with injury. They are descriptive terms and mean that in some areas it seems like some of the tissue inside is being 'pulled' in another direction. Kind of like an internal dimple or ripple where you expect a straight line.

Try to not worry too much - I know it's hard. Distract yourself as much as you can. If you have questions about the biopsy, ask away!

• Dallas2021
    Dallas2021 Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2021
    Options

Moth, thank you for your encouragement - much appreciated!! It has been virtually impossible to not think about it since my sister died of ovarian cancer at 44 and my brother died of leukemia at 5 years old (in1962 before chemo). I’m just super worried because the research that I have read in medical journals have limited to no mention of multiple architectural distortions (AD). My doctor told me that I run the chance of each, several, or all of my AD being cancerous.