Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

June 2021 Surgeries

Options

Comments

• gb2115
    gb2115 Member Posts: 553
    Options

eveic1--glad all went ok! I remember my wire placement back in 2016...so painful. It's like the local anesthesia didn't fully kick in before they stuck the wire in. I remember telling my surgeon that they need better pain control for that.

My mastectomy is on Thursday (June 10th). So nervous. I don't get a wire this time, but I have to go get the isotope injection tomorrow. And I have to spend the night. YUCK

• eviec1
    eviec1 Member Posts: 80
    Options

Good luck gb2115! Hoping it all goes smoothly for you!

• eviec1
    Options

Good luck tomorrow, gb2115! Hope it all goes well!

• pudelpointer
    pudelpointer Member Posts: 20
    Options

I wish you the best tomorrow gb2115!!

• Ptang
    Ptang Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hi Estherjenn,

Wishing you a smooth and successful surgery today! Thank you for introducing me to Tustin Longevity Center. I'll check it out. My MO let me skipped the last 2 doses of Taxol due to the progressing neuropathy in my fingers, toes and face. So I am getting a 4 weeks break before my 6/29 surgery. I am really grateful for that! Hope my body has a chance to recover. Taxol was rough for my body. I'm so glad that I am done with it.

I'm still debating whether I should go for reconstruction or not. I was leaning towards going flat (I'm getting a single mastectomy). And I'll have radiation after, so reconstruction will have to wait. I wasn't sure if it's worth it to have to deal with tissue expander for months and then another surgery and recovery. Any insights?

Pauline

• gb2115
    Options

Thanks!! I have to be there at 10:45. I'm already so hungry...

• MsMonster
    MsMonster Member Posts: 15
    Options

I had surgery yesterday for ADH and PASH. I had a right segmental mastectomy with immediate oncoplastic reduction & lift. Reduction & lift on left for symmetry. Very sore today but so far so good. 4 tries on the IV though. Good thing I was pretty mellow from Ativan.

Now to waiting for final pathology.

Several people I know have now welcomed me to the survivors club. I’m not sure that’s appropriate but if they say so.

• eviec1
    Options

I'm with you MsMonster waiting on the final pathology report and it is very stressful. I feel like it's the final hurdle before I can really get on with the rest of treatment. I'm glad surgery is over, but until I know whether the margins are clear, if there is lymph node involvement, etc., I still can't relax at all.

• MsMonster
    MsMonster Member Posts: 15
    Options

Right! I have people I know being like, “hooray it’s benign” but it really isn’t until final pathology. I had savi scout location then intra-operative imaging of my mass so I’m pretty sure about negative margins. Also my BS told my husband that she got what she needed and she’s not the type to say that if she has concerns she didn’t get it.

• eviec1
    Options

My breast surgeon just called - apparently she already got a copy of my pathology report. I haven't see it yet myself, so don't know all the details, but the nodes she took were clear (yay!); however, one of the margins was super close. She said the oncologist might make me have another mamm and if there are more calcifications visible, I may need to go back for a second surgery to clear it out. That part sucks, but I am glad to hear that my nodes were clear - so I guess I just have to good with the bad and keep my fingers crossed that the margin isn't so close that they need to go back back in.

• Digezy
    Digezy Member Posts: 6
    Options

unilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction June 24 in New Orleans.

Just wondering, if you were able to just do one side based on all your tests, but you opted for bilateral...why?

• pudelpointer
    Options

Digezy,

I chose double masectomy because I have a generic condition called Neurofibromatosis Type 1 that increases my chance of breast cancer and also reduces my odds of beating it. I had thought about preventative masectomy before I was diagnosed, I missed that opportunity I guess. Also, I was diagnosed with ILC which has high chances of being contralateral.

Based on both of these factors my surgeon agreed double masectomy was the best option for me.

• Tinkeast
    Tinkeast Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hi all,

A new member to the club, I had my lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy on June 8th this week. Uncomfortable but not miserable thank goodness. Anxiously awaiting the pathology report and next steps. Sending good vibes to everyone!

• pudelpointer
    Options

Welcome Tinkeast! All of this sitting around and waiting is so hard!

• pudelpointer
    Options

I just received the MammaPrint results back. Thankfully it shows Low Risk for reoccurrence in 10 years. I will take that. If all goes well, I can at least get to see my 9 year old graduate from High School. Trying to stay positive is hard, but just trying to take every bit if positive news where I can. As long as lymph nodes are clear, I shouldn't need chemo which will be a blessing.

• eviec1
    Options

That's great news, pudelpointer!

• pudelpointer
    Options

I just wanted to check in with everyone recovering after surgery! I hope you are all doing well and have the love and support you need to heal and get on with the rest of your treatment!

• gb2115
    Options

I survived! Hurts though, and I kept throwing up from the anesthesia. But I'm home and she said I can shower whenever. I have steri strips and she stitched the drain in. They gave me a loose cami to hold the drain, and just put gauze in it over my incisions. Glad I don't have to wear anything tight.

Watching my IV site, it's a little pink but I don't think it's doctor on call level. I have an NP friend I can reach out to if it starts looking more weird. I might try warm compresses on it.

• gb2115
    Options

Now I've got a hemorrhoid I guess from all the vomiting. Why why why....I have to sit on it, lying down makes getting up really hard with the mastectomy pain. My husband keeps telling me that it's ok to sit on it. I mean, I guess I don't have a choice. I can't use any of those wipes or creams without getting a rash in the area. Big sigh.

• Tinkeast
    Tinkeast Member Posts: 4
    Options

Four days after my lumpectomy and I'm very shaky today. Is that normal? Thanks.

• Esther01
    Esther01 Member Posts: 229
    Options

Hi Pauline,

Thank you! My surgery went well and I'm now joining all of the other women who have gone through it before us. Having any kind of surgery really does a number on us but fortunately there is a lot we can do to maximize healing right away. More on that below! I'm two days post surgery now.

I had a left lumpectomy and sentinel lymph node biopsy, and chose reconstruction just to have it shaped right. But if I were having a mastectomy I don't know if I'd do reconstruction. I think it's mostly the psychological impact of it and how important it is regarding how it looks. Many women just choose the right bras with padding so they won't need to deal with adding anything to their body. Some women are perfectly fine, and some wish they had done reconstruction sooner. I had a great team at Breastlink. My surgeon works really well with a particular plastic surgeon so they were able to handle the reconstruction for me at the same time in tandem. Either way it should be fine, but would be nice to have them present a clear choice that you're comfortable with. That decision removes a lot of stress once it's behind you.

I learned a few things about surgery...

1. Make absolutely sure you have antibacterial bath soap in the house like Dial (not antibacterial hand soap) for when you shower the night before. I thought I did, but didn't, and found myself driving to Walgreens at midnight. I do not recommend this for a restful night the night before surgery. I ended up with only 3.5 hours of sleep and showered again four hours later, also with antibacterial soap. Totally crazy and my fault about not having the soap ready.

2. If they separate the lymphatic mapping (dye injection) from the rest of your surgery by having you do it a few days before, insist that your surgeon prescribe you EMLA cream to apply 1 to 2 hours before the mapping injection. Otherwise that injection is quite painful. You apply the cream like icing a cake all around your nipple, then tape Saran wrap over it. I covered pretty much my whole breast because I was not sure where they were going to inject it. I learned this from a sweet lady who posted before and I will be forever grateful. Separately, I had a Savi seed placed for the lymph node area, and that was no problem at all. At least that one is not radioactive.

3. Ask the surgeon if you are a candidate for LMA which is laryngeal mask airway. You're still under general anesthesia but it's more comfortable. Some people who have reflux aren't a good candidate for it, but the surgeon can request it on your chart for the anesthesiologist to discuss it with you. Mine planned on doing it anyway which I was relieved to hear.

4. I stopped my systemic enzymes 5 days before surgery. Systemic enzymes are huge for every kind of cancer but something to bring up with your integrative doctor as everybody is different and at different risks for bleeding when surgery is approaching. In my case, I was able to stop them 5 days before and pick them up the very next morning after surgery, at double my usual capsules for the next week. They help immensely with healing, preventing thick scar tissue and breaking down fibrin, etc. Reallly fantastic for healing the body. There are many studies on this. I use VitalzymXe. My doctor at TLC prescribes them. It's important to drink a lot of water, half our body weight in pounds, in ounces (116 lbs = 58 oz/day) and that helps so you don't get constipated. Water is so helpful for everything.

5. I am not a bleeding risk, so I was able to continue vitamin E because I am only at 65 IU daily, and the studies show that you would have to be over 200 to 400mg per day to begin having any bad effect. Again, something to check with the doctor. Fortunately mine has been involved in a lot of studies so she already knew this and cleared me for it. And you want to be sure you are not a bleeding risk.

6. Buy a kidney-shaped pillow. I found an adorable pink mastectomy/lumpectomy pillow on Amazon which has a little tie at the top. It's great for under your arm at night or if you are a side sleeper. I put it in the car for when my family member picked me up from the hospital, to put it between me and the seatbelt for the ride home. There are lots of options on Amazon.

7. Speaking of the ride home, I was very dizzy, the room was spinning in circles and had dry heaves when waking up from the anesthesia. They gave me a little container and napkin as they wheeled me out to the car, and I did need it once or twice more when I got home. The nausea settles pretty quickly and felt way better right after. I don't know how they got me dressed and up into a wheelchair as dizzy as I was but they are used to it.

8. A few days before surgery, good idea to get everything down from the upper cabinets that you think you'll need after surgery so you don't have to reach up, as they won't want you to. Also, they don't want us lifting anything as heavy as 5 lb so good to remember not to try.

9. Having soup and crackers ready after returning home would have been a great idea, had I planned better. I was too nauseous for the rest of the day and only managed some high protein chicken bouillon and a few crackers.

10. Drinking a lot of water really helps flush out the general anesthesia. The sore throat though has lasted still at 40 hrs post surgery but gets better during the day when I'm drinking and eating. They say it will go away within three or four days and definitely by the week's end. Some people don't get a sore throat, but I did.

11. Buy a supportive sports bra, preferably with a zipper up the front. As you may have guessed by now, I neglected to do this so I had to rely on Amazon next day shipping. That way every time you shower you can change into a clean one. They will let me shower 48 hours after surgery which is later today.

12. Regarding other supplements, I continued on my Juice Plus (powdered fruits and veggies), multivitamin, vitamin C, Neuromag magnesium powder, 12.5mg iodine and 10K IU vitamin D right up to surgery. I picked them up again the day after surgery to start getting all the right vitamins back in me.

13. Some people fast the whole day before surgery, after breakfast. My doctor recommended it. It helps so your body is not digesting anything and focuses on healing as you start going through the surgery. I drank a ton of water, drank my juice plus capsules and vitamins with water, and when I got really hungry in the evening I had high protein chicken bouillon which is really filling. Also works for colonoscopies. I found that on Amazon too.

I think that's it! I wanted to write it down before forgetting. I hope there's something here that will be helpful for you as you prepare.

Glad you're checking out Tustin Longevity Center. So many cancer survivors there! Dr. Ellithorpe just added a Monday 5:30 PDT Q&A hour so you can ask any questions on the chat feature on YouTube. She also does the Wednesday 9:45 am half hour Q&A. Don't need to be a patient. I'll be there.

I will be lifting you up as you prepare for your surgery and for a decision you were comfortable with regarding reconstruction after mastectomy. You will get through this!

Blessings,

Esther

• Esther01
    Options

Here's the pillow I found on Amazonimage

• Esther01
    Options

That's great, Evie,

I'm glad that you're healing well after surgery and that your nodes were clear. That leaves far less complications. Hopefully the margins were enough, but sounds like you have a good game plan ahead.

Blessings,

Esther

• Ista
    Ista Member Posts: 8
    Options

Hi Ladies, I got my surgery date this week. It’ll be June 30th. I’m getting a unilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction and lift for other side. I just started reading about after surgery care and Istill have to meet with my surgeon to go over after care next week. Thanks for the tips @Esther01.
    I know I’ll have to go for immunotherapy a few days after surgery and I’ll still have drains. Has anyone bought mastectomy shirts to wear, any suggestions?

• gb2115
    Options

Ista, I bought the pink pepper shirts off Etsy. They are very nice. I was given a pouch cami by the hospital, but my drain has been kind of leaky (took us a bit to get the hang of things) so it will need to go in the wash. I also bought a tie around the waist drain holder, but with the cami not sure if I will need it.

• Esther01
    Options

Correction to my earlier checklist :) In case this helps you sweet ladies who are scheduled for later June surgery.

I just took my first 48 hour shower and couldn't wait to get out of that oh-so-tight compression bra they packed me into after surgery. Turns out they had me in a size down from what I normally wear, and on top of that I'm really swollen, so it was awfully tight and itchy. I was unconscious when they put it on me, or I would have protested :)

So an hour after my first post-surgery shower, I am amending my checklist.. Instead of a zippered sports bra, I now recommend the eyelet fastening sports bra because when you're really swollen, at least you can undo a few of the eyelets and breathe easier. As swelling eases, you can latch more of the eyelets. You can't do that with a zippered bra.

Thank God I bought two sizes: one at my usual size, and a size up. With my level of swelling, only the larger one comes close to fitting right now. Having some nonstick dressing and gauze pads ready in advance is also good.

Feeling better now that I'm no longer being squeezed as much.

Blessings,

Esther

• eviec1
    Options

I have a question, in case anyone knows (I would call the nurse, but alas, it's Saturday)...I took my first shower post lumpectomy two days ago. I removed the bandages, but under them there was a clear plastic sticker with some bandage underneath over the incision. Am I supposed to remove that? Or am I supposed to leave it on while the incision heals? I left it on as I wasn't sure. Has anyone had that and what were you told to do?

• Ptang
    Ptang Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hi Esther, THANK YOU SO MUCH for the detailed prep list! I, and I’m sure many other will benefit greatly from it. I’ll be meeting my BS on Monday for Pre-ops, your list came at the right time! Thanks so much!

gb2115, I’m so sorry to hear about the vomiting and hemorrhoid! Hope you feel better real soon and that the vomiting would stop!

For those of you who went through the surgery and having TE for an extended period of time, I would like to hear about your experiences. I’m a small chest (B) person, and I am going for a unilateral mastectomy. I was told that I’ll need 5 weeks of radiation when I was first diagnosed. I had already gone through 22 weeks of neoadjuvant chemotherapy (AC+T, MO let me skip the last 2 weeks of Taxol due to neuropathy, which I am really grateful!), tumor had shrunk significantly. Anyways, I think it’ll be a few months before I can be scheduled for reconstruction if I do it. I thought it was a hassle to deal with TE, not to mention going through another surgery and recovery. I would love to hear more about it.

Wishing everyone well and praying for quick recovery and healing for those who had surgery.

Pauline

• Esther01
    Options

Hi Evie,

That sounds like steri strips which I believe are meant to be left on because they will come off over time with each successive shower. I also think if you were supposed to remove something so fastened to you they would have mentioned it in your instructions. If it didn't slide off in the shower, I would do what you did and leave it alone. I hope that helps and perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me might weigh in.

Sleep well!

Esther

• Imhere
    Imhere Member Posts: 5
    Options

I am new here and had biopsy in April, lumpectomy in May. Leave the steristrips and the sticker on. It is painful and hard to remove. It will come off by itself after a week or two.

My margin was not clear. I could do another lumpectomy followed by six weeks of daily radiation. But I live in a rural area, daily radiation would have me driving about 120 miles each day. Leaning towards mastectomy. Not sure about reconstruction.