Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Radiation June 2021 Group

Options
124»

Comments

• juju-mar
    juju-mar Member Posts: 200
    edited August 2021
    Options

Esther01,

I do find relief with that "pose". And when driving, I hang my right arm on the seat next to me. It is getting better daily. Just uncomfortable as it's healing. Best wishes to you. My advise is to drink extra fluids, moisturize that skin throughout the day. Aquaphor at night 😊

Julie

• Esther01
    Esther01 Member Posts: 229
    edited August 2021
    Options

Thanks Julie,

That's so helpful! We can forget how important water intake is.

blessings on your weekend

Esther

• ab45
    ab45 Member Posts: 153
    edited August 2021
    Options

Esther

After each radiation, as I was dressing I applied the lotion. I read this somewhere and I think it helped with not getting red so quickly...I know right now 33 seems so far away but you will be at post radiation shortly...u got this!!!

All My Best

A

• Esther01
    edited August 2021
    Options

I appreciate your encouragement. Thank you, A!

• juju-mar
    edited August 2021
    Options

I saw the RO for a quick follow up and she ordered Silver Sulfadiazine cream. My skin was still so Angry and RED. This cream has done wonders in just 48 hrs. Whew, relief from pain and healing has for sure come along. Hope everyone else is doing well.

Julie

• star2017
    star2017 Member Posts: 370
    edited August 2021
    Options

Yes, the silvadine is amazing!

• Esther01
    edited August 2021
    Options

Julie, I'm glad to hear you are getting relief with the silver sulfadiazene cream. It's a comfort to know that there are more options in the RO's toolchest for when we need them.

You've been such an inspiration with your positive attitude and exercising throughout. I"m going to keep exercising to stave off radiation fatigue as long as I can.

Blessings,

Esther

• nyc250
    nyc250 Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2021
    Options

To AB45: I too have benign positional vertigo. About 2 weeks into my 6 weeks of radiation, due to the angle of my head, i got dizzy on the table and had to sit up and stop. Rad onc said it was not good to delay so I went back every day. Techs were great. They put a strap around me so that if I got dizzy and sat up, I wouldn't fall off the high table. Then, they helped me slowly lay down and allowed me to move my head a tiny bit until I found an okay position. Then, if dizziness started to come on during treatment, I would move my head a tiny bit until it stopped. I didn't have another major dizzy spell, thankfully. Radiation took between 20-30 minutes to get set up and do the treatment- so not long. You just have to figure out what works for you to get through it. You can do it. Best of luck to you.

• nyc250
    nyc250 Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2021
    Options

Julie,

I have really, really light white skin and I had pretty intense radiation. As the rad onc predicted, all was fine until about a week after I finished, then my breast, chest and underarm area turn bright red and hurt like hell. Some areas would be red for about a week and get better, just as other sections would start to get red. Whole process was about 3 weeks. But, thank goodness for Mometasone! Took away the pain like nothing else. It was amazing. I'm glad you are all finished.

Susan

• juju-mar
    edited August 2021
    Options

Susan,

I too am fair skinned and thought I was ready for what was to come after radiation finished, but wow. I had the exact same experience as you described. One area would start to feel better, then another felt painful. I finished radiation 3 weeks ago today and this week have some relief. Over the hump as they say. Onto better days ahead!

Julie