Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo August 2021

Options
2»

Comments

• drivingmisscrazy
    drivingmisscrazy Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2021
    Options

Hi, I just received my dx a little over a week ago on the 23rd. Huge whirlwind here and so, so unexpected.

Dx was last Monday 8/23. I was in on the 24th going through every scan, lab, echos, ekgs….. port was installed the 25th and they wanted to start chemo that Friday the 27th. We had a hangup waiting on insurance authorization and getting the mri scheduled that quickly.

So, yesterday the 31st was my first round with the mri now scheduled for tomorrow. Ugh.

I am so surprised how quickly they moved in this. The morning of my dx I fully expected a few weeks to wrap my head around it all, but that was not the case.

Yesterday was first round of taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin, and Perjeta. I go every 3 weeks for 6 total rounds of all 4. After that I continue the herceptin and Perjeta for an additional 11 rounds. Surgery will be after the 1st of the year. They are hopeful for a lumpectomy, but we are still awaiting results of genetic testing.

It has been a lonnnnng couple of weeks. I own a small business and have not been present - and it shows along with questions from customers. I have not addressed it with them as of yet. I have employees who are keeping things going in my absence. I am hopeful to be back next week, but we will see how it goes.

It’s been an interesting first night, but not horrible as of yet. I decided not to cold cap. I am taking my zofran as scheduled (I have a vomiting phobia) so you better believe I’m on it. Lol so far, I feel like I’m retaining fluids in my legs making walking a slow process. Just a slight pins and needles in my feet. I am periodically icing hands and feet. I have a neulasta pod installed that is scheduled to infuse later this afternoon. That one I am scared of since it will bring the bone pain. I just don’t feel like this is my body. I went from being active and always on the go. Very rarely sick with even colds - to this. I’m not sure I have even really processed any of this.

• jullyn
    jullyn Member Posts: 40
    edited September 2021
    Options

Drivingmisscrazy! Great name. They certainly did move fast with you.I was diagnosed early in August and was to start TCHP last Thursday. It was delayed and I had lymph node biopsy instead on that day. I am now set to start tomorrow. I was prepared last week but an additional week of waiting added anxiety.

Glad to hear you had a good night. Did you ice your hands and feet during infusion? Like you, I am rarely sick but when I do, I usually do it up royally so this scares me.

Dont forget to drink your water!

• drivingmisscrazy
    drivingmisscrazy Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2021
    Options

I did not ice during. But I am getting the ice mitts and slippers for the next one. I’m afraid of the pins and needles getting worse. I didn’t sleep much last night - that could be the steroids though. One more to go today. I also have to take a Claritin this morning for the neulasta. Hoping it just knocks me out. Drinking TONS of water.

Good luck with your first one. Your nurses are there for you - to cry on, support you, and help you with anything you need during. They made a really crappy day bearable. I hate to be here, but glad to have found all of you.

• jullyn
    edited September 2021
    Options

Started Chemo today. It was supposed to be last week and he delayed it to biopsy some lymph nodes. They was a possibility he thought maybe they had no cancer. He was wrong. Didn't change the chemo part. Just what would happen with surgery later. My treatment is TCHP. Every 21 days, for 6 treatments with some continued drugs for a bit after that. I have Invasive Ductal Carcinoma. T2 tumor. Her2/ER+.All went good with the chemo. I had a wonderful nap there and another at home. Drug induced naps rock!

• jullyn
    edited September 2021
    Options

Drivingmisscrazy I did ice for 15 minutes just now. My doc and the nurse both thought it unnecessary. The pharmacist wasn't yay or nay. I had ice packs with me but didn't even think of them once we started.

Claritin is my normal allergy pill so I made sure I've been taking it already. Took Miralax for a few days prior as well. Just took my nausea pill even if I am not. I don't want to be either. I have a bit of a headache but they said try to avoid tylenol because it can mask a fever. Anyone else get told that?

• KLinDallas
    KLinDallas Member Posts: 14
    edited September 2021
    Options

Hi All,

Actually started chemotherapy on July 30. Only 4 rounds of TC, and I'm already 1/2 way thru. First round was a breeze, but second one on 8/18 kicked my butt! I have third round on 9/8 (that's only 4 days away!), and I'm dealing with an overwhelming fear as I hear that the side effects are cumulative. Anyone else have this experience? Anyone else have any tips/tricks for dealing with side effects?

Thanks, in advance, for your support and suggestions!

• 4kids4dogs
    4kids4dogs Member Posts: 22
    edited September 2021
    Options

Jullyn and Driving Miss Crazy,

Hi i just had my first chemo yesterday and was diagnosed Aug 9 (on my 24th wedding anniversary)! I am ER+/PR+/HER2+. i will also be getting chemo every 3 weeks for 6 cycles. then surgery, then radiation. i am stage 1B. My doctor said that side effects typically start day 3 to day 7. today i'm wondering if my taste buds are changing; nothing tastes normal. but other than that i'm feeling ok. trying to be postitive!!!!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    edited September 2021
    Options

In case you want to join us today (and every Tuesday!)

Join us for the discussion every Tuesday from 1-2pm ET. Register ahead of the meeting to receive access details via email the day of the meeting.

• jullyn
    edited September 2021
    Options

KLinDallas, I've only had one chemo so far so I am not sure. What I am hearing is its not the same for everyone.

4kids4dogs my first was Thursday. I had lots of energy Friday and Saturday but started feeling fatigue Saturday evening. I think Sunday I felt like not eating. No taste. Sunday evening I got that flu like feeling. Did you have a Nulasta injection? I think that's the cause of my achiness. I'm trying to make myself eat and drink. I've got a cup of chicken broth here. I don't think I can do it even without tasting it. LOL.

I hope to meet you both at the weekly zoom meeting today.

• 4kids4dogs
    edited September 2021
    Options

jullyn, it would be nice meeting you too. Did u feel foggy headed and Shakey? I do on and off. When is the meeting today??????

• 4kids4dogs
    edited September 2021
    Options

oh no. I missed the meeting!!!!!

:(

• jullyn
    edited September 2021
    Options

4kids4dogs sorry you missed the meeting. Yes, I feel foggy and lightheaded. Very nauseous last night and today. Forcing myself to eat ice. Had a ginger snap. I need to get up up and do some work but not feeling it.

• Kiri_the_kat
    Kiri_the_kat Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2021
    Options

I just had my second chemo today. Recovering from the first one was horrible because I got a cold, which turned into bronchitis, and I ended up in the emergency room because I was having difficulty breathing. I'm really hoping that recovery from this round is a little less dramatic and awful!! My sister pointed out that I am now 25% through with chemo, which sounds a little more optimistic than saying I have six more to go.

I haven't started losing any hair yet, but the doctor told me today that I can expect it to start coming out in the coming week. I've cut it twice in the past 3 weeks to help me and my family transition. The first was about 8 inches, to a short bob. Two days ago, I went from short bob to pixie. So it's super short. I am not so sad about losing my hair as I am about losing my eyebrows and eyelashes. Thinking of that kind of freaks me out. I am using Grandelash on my eyelashes, but not sure how well that will work.

I asked my doctor about icing hand and feet as a prevention against neuropathy. He was strongly against it. He said "cancer cells will try to hide from treatment, and providing an extremity, where blood flow is already slow, and even slower if you are chilling it, could give the perfect hiding place. " Well, I don't know how scientific that sounded to me, to be honest. But after thinking it over, I said to myself, "I have chosen one of the most highly regarded oncologists in my region, so I should probably follow his professional opinions and recommendations." And so I will not be icing, and I will hope for the best.

Sending all of you on this journey with me prayers for light, love, and healing. Look for as much joy, hope, and optimism as you can, and enjoy them to the fullest when they come along!

• jullyn
    edited September 2021
    Options

Interesting thought from your doc on icicing, Kari-the-kat. I didn't do it during treatment, cut did once or twice after. My doc just said no need. I like your sister's thinking! Hope you do ok with your next treatment.

• DebbieM1958
    DebbieM1958 Member Posts: 105
    edited September 2021
    Options

Hi Driving Miss Crazy, I joined the September group as I started chemo 9/9 but saw your post in August and wanted to reply. I am on the exact same treatment plan as you, Taxotere, Carboplatin, Herceptin and Perjeta every 3 weeks , next session on 9/30. Today is my Day 4 of cycle 1. Much less scary than I thought (so far)...and just minor tummy issues that I was able to correct with Imodium. I did have pretty bad indigestion last night and it was Day 1 of my Zarxio shots. Don't know if that's a coincidence but I don't typically get indigestion. Anyway how are you doing now just a few steps ahead of me? Hopefully well. I like you don't know how to process all this. I have always been very healthy, rarely even get a cold so this is all so different and strange. I don't do "sick" well. I chose not to do the cold cap thing, I've been told it rarely helps. But I am doing the ice bags on feet and hands for taxotere treatments to prevent the pins and needles. Ugh.

• KLinDallas
    edited September 2021
    Options

Hi Friends,

Well, I was so afraid for the third round of TC with all the horrible side effects that I experienced on the second round on September 8. My oncologist actually reduced the dose for Taxotere only in my TC cocktail, and it made all the difference. Back to similar side effects that I experienced with round one, mostly fatigue and sleeping round the clock. So, the moral is to be your own patient advocate and let your oncologist, PAs and nursing staff know what you are feeling. They can help!

I will be an expert by Sept 29 (my last round). LOL

Hoping to meet some of you on Tuesday!

• jullyn
    edited September 2021
    Options

I am Day 10 after round 1 TCHP. Finally able to eat but in one end and out the other. Little or no taste. I feel bloated and don't really want to eat. Still nauseous but not as bad. Have a weird itchy rash. First on my neck and now my hands.

• MEandJax
    MEandJax Member Posts: 15
    edited September 2021
    Options

Hi AlynnMac Thanks for reposting, I finally saw it. There is so much info on this site that is helpful.

I hope your treatment is going well, I start the same cocktail Tuesday and am anxious.

ME

• barbojoy
    barbojoy Member Posts: 47
    edited September 2021
    Options

hi Jullyn. I am 4 days from 1st infusion. I have a rash on my chest - not itchy. Curious if your team has given any insights into the rash. And hope it is doing better. Any thing help

• barbojoy
    barbojoy Member Posts: 47
    edited September 2021
    Options

I had a flat closure 8/23 after DMX 7/28. Port installed 09/08 & 1st TC infusion 09/10. I have had a sore throat past 24 hours Ana now this rash. Anyone else experience something similar? The port looks gnarly -still has steritape and bruise bu the rash (red spots next to incision scar) wasn’t there before today.

• KLinDallas
    edited September 2021
    Options

The 3rd Round went so much better with the reduced Taxotere dose. I did try the stronger of the anti nausea medication, and I awakened with a full body rash (like a sunburn). Back to hospital, and got a prescription antihistamine that solved the problem overnight! Have actually taken a couple of walks last week along with an exercise video class. Trying to gain some weight and get as healthy as possible for the fourth (and final!!!!) round on September 29.

• jullyn
    edited September 2021
    Options

Barbojoy, I spoke with team about rash and its common. My oncologist did seem surprised it was itchy. I take something for two days post treatment that is supposed to help. Had #2 On Thursday. So far, nothing same as first round. There is a support group that meets on Zoom on Tuesday at 1:00. You should join us. It's moderated by this site.

• KLinDallas
    edited October 2021
    Options

Hi Y'all,

I will, unfortunately, have to miss today's Zoom discussion. I really do enjoy these opportunities to connect with new friends that are going thru this journey. Everyone is so open and honest, and I learn so much of each of you! Good news is that I am meeting with my plastic surgeon to discuss reconstruction for my bilateral mastectomy today. So, this will be a joyful (I hope) conversation about restoration, and another milestone in my recovery.

Tomorrow, I have another appointment with my oncologist for a discussion about endocrine therapy. That one I am not as enthusiastic, but I realize that it is also part of the journey. He has scheduled another blood draw as well. Thankfully, I still have my port (never thought I'd say that!), so it should be fine. Anybody already on endocrine therapy? Any tips?

Sorry to miss each of you this week, but I hope that you are having a good week. Looking forward to seeing you next week.

Karyl

• TigerGirl72
    TigerGirl72 Member Posts: 8
    edited November 2021
    Options

I am a little late to this group. I started chemo August 2021 after being diagnosed Aug. 2 with triple negative invasive ductal carcinoma. The PET showed metastasis in one intramammary lymph node which is next to the tumors. My two T2 tumors have been impalpable since the third chemo treatment.

So far, I have had 10 taxol/carbo infusions with Keytruda added every three weeks. I was able to receive 9 weekly treatments before my liver enzymes elevated, and I had to take a two week break. Tomorrow, I go for my 11th. If I get infusions tomorrow and next week, I will be done with taxol/carbo and on to AC. Side effects: mild peripheral neuropathy (I didn’t ice), ears ringing, hair loss, fatigue, constipation…. The usual side effects.

After I finish taxol/carbo, I am supposed to receive 4 AC treatments every three weeks. To say I am scared is an understatement. I already feel run down from the weekly tc regimen. Any advice? Words of encouragement? I was originally supposed to be done with chemo before Christmas but now, it is supposed to wrap in late Jan. :( The two week break plus my MO deciding to administer AC every three weeks instead of every two weeks added to the time.
    thanks for listening! This is a horrible, depressing road.

• KLinDallas
    edited November 2021
    Options

Hi Ladies,

I will miss today's Zoom call since I just had reconstruction surgery yesterday! I wanted to report that this surgery is soooo much easier than anything I already done on this BC journey.

I will definitely be able to catch up with all of you wonderful warriors next week. Praying for you everyday, and I hope that each of you reports a good week in your Zoom call today.

Details to follow, but for anyone who also had a bilateral mastectomy, the reconstruction is so well worth it. For the very first time, I feel whole and optimistic about the future.

We are truly warriors, and I am so proud to know you!

Hugs to each of you.

Karyl

• jullyn
    edited November 2021
    Options

We missed you Karyl. I hope all is going well.

• Teri23
    Teri23 Member Posts: 8
    edited January 2022
    Options

Is there a separate forum/discussion thread for the Going Through Treatment Zoom meetings? Would anyone mind sharing the link or specific name so I can try to find it?

Thank you!

• jullyn
    edited February 2022
    Options

Yes. Let me see if I can send link. I just shared some news there! Well that didn't work.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/6/topics/879688?page=3#idx_73