Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Armpit and breast pain

Options
humblepeace
humblepeace Member Posts: 85
edited August 2021 in Waiting for Test Results

Hello All,

I hope you are all doing well. I'm a bit confused and needless to say nervous. I'll give a little history and an update.

October 2020 - I had two fibroadenomas removed from my left breast which had been watched for about 7-8 months. I experienced breast pain while they were there and after they were removed.

March 2021 - I went in for my yearly mammogram which was a few months late due to the surgery and being quite sore. Mammogram was fine and the technician was ready to send my on my way stating that there were no concerns from the radiologist, but they then realized that my breast surgeon had also ordered an ultrasound. Therefore, I now went to have US completed. Radiologist now found two areas which he wanted to be further investigated. He asked, "have you had any surgeries recently" and of course I had the fibroadenomas removed. Core Needle Biopsy scheduled.

March 29, 2021 - Core Needle Biopsy was done. I was nervous but, healing okay. A few days later I received a call from the breast surgeon's office and the pathology stated benign results. (Fat necrosis) Then on 4/14/21 I got a call stating that the radiologist added an addendum to the report and the results are discordant.

May 5, 2021 - The appointment to discuss and/or arrange for removal of the area in question. The breast surgeon looked at the area in question and stated that she believed it was fat necrosis as the pathology had stated. She offered me a few options. One, was to schedule an MRI, second, was to have an excisional biopsy, and lastly to wait three months. Well, at the moment I was just very relieved and told the assistant that I would call back in a bit and schedule the MRI.

July 20, 2021 - I began to have pain in the same breast. It was quite noticeable after first as it was sore (not to touch), but also sharp pains. Then only about 4-5 days later the pain in the same side armpit started. Neither area is sore to touch, nor do I feel anything strange in my armpit. That pain in the armpit is similar to the pain of an underwire bra harassing me though I have not worn one since I was diagnosed in 2017.

July 29, 2021 - I went for yet another mammogram which was clear. My insurance company denied the MRI until I had taken a mammogram???? I'm know waiting for the appointment to breast surgeon August 16 and hopefully an approval for the MRI.

Any ideas, thoughts, or suggestions would be much appreciate.

Humblepeace

Comments

• LivinLife
    LivinLife Member Posts: 301
    edited August 2021
    Options

Wow Humblepeace, I do not know what to think at this point.... Just want to send support - you've been through so much in such a short period of time! More waiting as you said - ugh! Please let us know how the appointment goes and the MRI once you get that scheduled.....

• humblepeace
    edited August 2021
    Options

Thank you LivinLife for supporting. I’m trying to wait patiently for August 16 and hoping my appointment will not be canceled due to not having an MRI yet. I would at least like the surgeon to take a look in her office.

It’s also odd that pain is less in the morning or maybe that is normal??? I’m not sure. I ready for answers. I’m also super annoyed that there are times when mammograms can be unreliable!!

Thanks again

Hum

• LivinLife
    edited August 2021
    Options

I cannot remember where you're from though are you able to call where you'd have the mammo done to see about scheduling/let them know about the 8/16 appointment? Or maybe see if your surgeon's office is willing to intervene to get the mammo center to get that scheduled?

• humblepeace
    edited August 2021
    Options

LivinLife- I’m in California. I will be talking with the breast surgeon’s office tomorrow about whether they have submitted the request for the MRI. I will also reach out to my insurance. I was told the mammo had to be done prior to getting the MRI…so that’s done. I had less pain in both areas this weekend. I would like to have a idea of the cause of the pain. Pathology was benign and mammo was clear. Thank you for supporting.

Hum

• K-Gobby
    K-Gobby Member Posts: 144
    edited August 2021
    Options

Humble peace- Where in California? I have been going to the City of Hope in Duarte and they have gotten all my tests approved through Anthem. Keep up on the insurance. I have called to find out too. I know different insurance companies have different rules on services.

Keep us updated.

• LivinLife
    edited August 2021
    Options

Sorry Hum.... I meant MRI in my last post..... I understand what you're saying though about your process..... K-Gobby posted some good advice on keeping up with insurance - they can so drag their feet on things though it sounds like it may be the scheduling itself that's the issue now? Hopefully the surgeon's office can help with that - glad you're planning on asking about that!

• humblepeace
    edited August 2021
    Options

LivinLife and K-Gobby - Thank you for all of your support and advice. I did put in a phone call to the breast surgeon office today and waiting for a call back.

Oddly enough the stabbing and burning pain has continued to lessen, I’m so not at 100% comfort yet so, I will still continue to follow through as to know that all is well in this breast. K-Gobby I’m in Chino Hills.

Humblepeace

• humblepeace
    edited August 2021
    Options

Hello All,

I had a follow up with the breast surgeon on this past Monday. She used the ultrasound machine in her office to look around in my breast and armpit. She continues to see scar tissue from the removal of the fibroadenomas and know what she believes to be another fibroadenoma. She states that my lymph nodes are not swollen and appear normal. The MRI is still being worked on with my insurance company.

I left the appointment feeling some bit of anxiety relief though the pain in the underarm and breast are still not gone completely (less than when they started).

This morning after my shower I noticed an elongated red bruise?? on the same breast, no lump, no swollen breast, nipple looks the same. I had several errands to complete today including the every six months zometa infusion. As I returned home the redness was slightly less red, but not gone. As the evening went on even a little less but still there. I have started to wear a new mastectomy bra on Monday, not sure it would take that long to show irritation.

I’m wanting the MRI to hopefully get a few answers. Thanks for reading and allowing me to get it out.

Humblepeace