Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Dressing with One Boob

Options
lw422
lw422 Member Posts: 1,399

I recently had my single mastectomy and today was my first time to wear a regular (front hook) bra with a pocket for a breast form. I stuck my "knitted knocker" in there but soon found that the no-boob side rides up a couple of inches looking quite wonky and silly under my clothes. :crybaby:

Please give me some tips for living with this. I'm feeling so down in the dumps.

Comments

• mightlybird01
    mightlybird01 Member Posts: 161
    edited September 2021
    Options

I don't have this problem, but I have very small breast. I think you may need to get a heavier breast form, to prevent that from happening. The knitted knocker is not heavy enough to keep the bra down. My breast center was working with a company that makes custom breasts using a computer program. They took pictures of my breast and my flat chest and made the computer model. The breast I received was similar in weight and size as my own. It really is quite stunning how similar it looks. I can just pop it in the bra.The form even has tried to replicate my rib cage on the side that sits against the chest.

Look into this company:

https://contourmed.com/#

There are probably others. It is very early days for you and I am sure you will find something that will work well for you!!

• Carlsoda
    Carlsoda Member Posts: 120
    edited September 2021
    Options

I agree knitted knockers unfortunately are too light. I have a breast form I use when I am out and about. It's actually pretty comfortable to wear and doesn't get hot either in the summer. Works much better!

• blue22
    blue22 Member Posts: 172
    edited September 2021
    Options

I luckily am not very big on the remaining side. Initially I found some comfy bras from recommendations on this website, and used an inexpensive stuffed form I bought at the gift shop of my hospital. After radiation, I found that the bras were very uncomfortable, and stopped wearing them consistently. Now, I tend to go without more often than with, but I am conscious of not wearing anything that screams uniboob to places like work. I'm sure anyone looking closely can tell, but honestly I really don't care.

I am in the process of trying to find more clothes that draw attention away.

I think we are in the same boat... I didn't want to keep the remaining one either.

• gb2115
    gb2115 Member Posts: 553
    edited September 2021
    Options

Lol, I've been rocking the uniboob. I haven't tried to get bras yet because the surgeon put my port right where the strap would go, and because I'm so skinny on top I would hate anything to rub on the port. As it is, I'm worried it's going to eventually break through the skin.

I've decided I don't care what anyone thinks. I don't think anyone notices, but I only go to work where I wear scrubs. I don't believe my small uniboob is noticeable through my scrub top. And if it is, I dare anyone to mention it.

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,271
    edited September 2021
    Options

mightybird - I looked at the website you noted a little bit, but I did not see anything about cost. Do you know a ball park price? How likely is insurance to cover this?

Thanks.

• mightlybird01
    edited September 2021
    Options

ThreeTree, my insurance covered the whole thing. All I had to do is go to my local hospital, which has a "breast-fitter" affiliated, they took all the pictures, and they do the whole process. If you have insurance I am pretty sure they pay for it. IN fact, I can get one new one every year on insurance.

I just looked at mine. It is from this company:

https://trulife.com/pages/radiant-impressions

But I did not deal directly with that company. But with a company within my breast center, who orders these for patients.

I hardly ever wear mine. But it is really soft and comfortable. But since I never wore bras in my whole life, I prefer the simpler bras and just a little stuffing on my flat side. Again, I am A cup or not even.

• threetree
    edited September 2021
    Options

mightybird - Thank you very much for the info. Glad to hear that at least some insurance covers it. Do you happen to know how much the insurance company was billed? I don't know that I would use one a lot either. Just around the house and out on walks, at the store, etc. I really don't care all that much, but there are those work meetings and special social get togethers that I would like to have something I could use. I've tried a couple of things and just really aren't happy with them, but haven't gone into any in depth looking with regard to prosthetics. I think maybe I should, just to have "something". I also have an age issue that renders my remaining breast "sagging" if you will, and most of the prosthetics out there are made for younger and firmer breasts than I have, so getting symmetry is virtually impossible. This looks like it might be a better deal in that regard.

• mightlybird01
    edited September 2021
    Options

ThreeTree, yes, this is exactly my use of the prostetic, just good to have it for those special occasions. I think even with sagging it would work, as the bra takes care of the sagging on the remaining breast. The fitter I went to would have known what to do also for your situation I am sure.

I am not sure exactly what the insurance was charged. I think maybe in the order of $350.- for just the prostetic.

Maybe contact this company and see if they can help you. It seems they are accepting a lot of insurances..

https://www.caringtouchmed.com/insurances-we-carry...

• txlorelei
    txlorelei Member Posts: 68
    edited September 2021
    Options

LW422, I’m in Houston as well, and I was referred to a place called Second Silhouette for my silicone prosthesis fitting. However, they told me to wait until about 6 weeks after surgery to allow for healing.

Before that, I knitted myself a couple of knockers but had the same ride up problems. I found some foam forms at bustedtank.com that worked a little better for me.

• sunnidays
    sunnidays Member Posts: 153
    edited September 2021
    Options

https://www.amoena.com/global/breast-forms/natura-...

You need something like that and I know this sounds weird but the false boob needs to weigh the same as the real one for real balance, even with that when I looks at photos of myself if i have a tight top on they do not look exactly smetrical.

• threetree
    edited September 2021
    Options

mightybird - Thanks once again for all of the very helpful info! I was concerned the cost could be in the $1,000's and if the insurance I have doesn't cover something like that, the out of pocket would be prohibitive for me. That amount stuck with me because a couple of years ago I think I saw something where for 2 or 3K you could get some sort of latex prosthetic that was very "life like" - something like they might make for a movie, and I think it even came out of some kind of movie making procedures or something. I never noted the company or pursued anything, because it was up in the thousands of dollars range. It had some sort of magnetic way of sticking onto your chest.

What you described really sounded similar, and again, very interesting and something I wouldn't mind looking into, unless the cost was way beyond me. You've given me some new hope on this front. I think I'll check around my area and see if there is somewhere I can go for a fitting.

• lw422
    edited September 2021
    Options

Thanks for all the recommendations, everyone. My surgeon is sending me a prescription for bras and a prosthesis, but I'm going to wait a few weeks for things to be healed before I go for fittings. I also have radiation coming up and have no idea how that's going to affect things.

• NatureYogi
    NatureYogi Member Posts: 135
    edited September 2021
    Options

I gave my sister all of my Soma bras and I only wear Coobie bras or yoga bras with Knitted Knockers or cloth boob. I don't have the riding up and I am a C cup. Sometimes I go without bra and wear a loose top with a nice scarf. I'll be starting radiation in a couple weeks and I know I'll be going braless, so more loose tops with scarfs

• lw422
    edited October 2021
    Options

I'm a D cup so the remaining boob is definitely heavier than my knitted knocker. I'm wearing stretch sports bras and they just ride up terribly on the mastectomy side. I did find a solution of sorts on Etsy; a woman makes small "suspenders" that attach to the bottom of the bra and the waistband of my pants. They are called "Suspen-Hers" and actually work very well. Here's a link to the Etsy store... I have no interest in this other than a satisfied customer. LINK I ordered the "shorties, 1 1/2" size and they work well for me.

So that's my solution until I can get an actual weighted prosthesis made after radiation. Thanks again for everyone's help with this.

• threetree
    edited October 2021
    Options

LW422 - What a great idea for certain situations. Thanks for letting us all know about it.

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,939
    edited October 2021
    Options

I had a lumpectomy that took about a third of my left breast, and some of my bras ride up in front on that side. After too many months of getting frustrated, I just yank the damn thing back down and I don't care who sees me do it.

• lw422
    edited October 2021
    Options

ThreeTree--you're welcome. I'm sure anyone who sews could make something similar to the SuspendHers themselves, but the ones I've purchased are very well made and a reasonable price. I ordered another set for backup!! They really work well and I don't feel them in place when wearing.

• nicscolari
    nicscolari Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2022
    Options

I've only just seen this so...I have the same problem [ had a mastectomy three years ago], one heavy boob. nothing on the other side, can't wear a bra thanks to the scar position. I've tried sports bras which ride up, breast forms which even with pins, give you the wonky boob look but...I do wear clothes that disguise the imbalance [mostly baggy, asymmetric patterend tops] but... I have recently discovered boob tape!! [like in the last two weeks]. Not great for daily use I don't think but definitely hold the one boob in place without having to wear anything else that's uncomfortable or rides up. Apparentlly sports tape is the same so I'm going to look for some of that in the bargain stores here. Honestly, total game changer.

Actually, just had a thought, you could probably tape a soft breast form to the other side if you wanted to go for the 'normal' look,,,

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,911
    edited July 2022
    Options

nicscolari, welcome to Breastcancer.org, and thank you for sharing such helpful tip with our community members!

Please, remember that we're here for you, so if you need help around the boards at all, feel free to send us a private message.

Warmly,

The Mods

• lw422
    edited July 2022
    Options

Thanks, Nic and welcome to the forum. I'm not sure I can tape anything to my mastectomy side since I had radiation treatments and my skin seems to be a bit fragile still. Thanks for the suggestion, though.